Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

SUGGESTION: Rename the new Umbra Excalibur after another sword.

Darena_Bryant

7 minutes ago, Rounpositron said:

Why not Arthur?

The idea is since the base frame is named after a sword, so should it's atlernate be. We have two Excaliburs' and the Umbra version is supposed to be it's own frame, so calling it Excalibur seems off. Best to name it after some other legendary sword, right?

Edited by Darena_Bryant

On 18.02.2018 at 7:30 AM, Darena_Bryant said:

The idea is since the base frame is named after a sword, so should it's atlernate be. We have two Excaliburs' and the Umbra version is supposed to be it's own frame, so calling it Excalibur seems off. Best to name it after some other legendary sword, right?

What do you even mean by "its own frame"?

What about... *Wait for it*.... Calibur!!! The original blessed blade, and counterpart  to Excalibur, from the legend of king Arthur.

It would fit, as calibur is a twin of Excalibur, but they're of different characteristics still. Excalibur was often portrayed as an ice sword, and calibur as a fire sword

They both measured the character, or ...*wait for it*... caliber of a person.

;)

Edited by Maka.Bones

Umbra is a sword (in The Elder Scrolls) yes, however is a Latin first, meaning shade. In literacy it is related to darkness or shadow. The name is fitting as Excal Umbra is designed as a "dark" Warframe when many other primes, and orokin architecture depicted as light and almost angelic.  

Edited by (XB1)Sheady

On 2/17/2018 at 8:17 PM, NightmareT12 said:

Umbra is literally a new line of Warframes in juxtaposition to Primes. It's not likely Excalibur will be the only one, they'll most likely explore other Warframe Umbra versions depending on how the gameplay/mechanics differ.

The only reason we're even getting Excalibur Umbra is because Excalibur Prime is founder exclusive, making him the only frame (technically) without a prime for the majority of players. Unless DE is making the other prime frames vaulted permanently with no plans on releasing again or never making primes for future frames, I don't see any reason to have more umbras, especially if they share similar stats to primes.

In regards to the OP, Excalibur's name should stay the same. Remember, he is getting the umbra tag and beyond that and maybe stat differences, he's still the same as the base he was built on. There's no reason to give it a name change.

18 minutes ago, Pizzarugi said:

The only reason we're even getting Excalibur Umbra is because Excalibur Prime is founder exclusive, making him the only frame (technically) without a prime for the majority of players. Unless DE is making the other prime frames vaulted permanently with no plans on releasing again or never making primes for future frames, I don't see any reason to have more umbras, especially if they share similar stats to primes.

In regards to the OP, Excalibur's name should stay the same. Remember, he is getting the umbra tag and beyond that and maybe stat differences, he's still the same as the base he was built on. There's no reason to give it a name change.

I know why Excalibur Umbra Prime was designed, but when it was being renamed Excalibur Umbra for the global (and subsequently the chinese) build, it was stated (and it's been stated as well) that Umbras would be different than just different stats.

But I'd rather wait and see what they're doing and are so tight lipped about, since after what Geoff said in Devstream #100 seems to bring him much closer.

On 2/19/2018 at 12:20 AM, Ksaero said:

What do you even mean by "its own frame"?

They're describing the umbra version of Excalibur as 'it's own frame', as in 'not just a color variant of Excalibur with some minor stat changes'. They want it to be it's own thing, not just 'Excal 3'. Thus, I figured a different name might help the idea that Umbra Excal isn't just... Umbra Excal.

On 2/18/2018 at 11:59 PM, Ksaero said:

First they start with asking for different abilities for Umbra frames.

Then they take it as a fact and start asking to rename the frame.

1. Who's 'they'? I only just found out about the Umbra variants.

2. What do you mean as 'take it as a fact'? I read they were being made. Is it some of that 'fake news' I keep hearing about? And as stated in my post, the devs said they wanted to make this frame into something that wasn't just another color of Excal, so I thought a different name might help that concept.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2018 at 8:37 PM, Darena_Bryant said:

They're describing the umbra version of Excalibur as 'it's own frame', as in 'not just a color variant of Excalibur with some minor stat changes'. They want it to be it's own thing, not just 'Excal 3'. Thus, I figured a different name might help the idea that Umbra Excal isn't just... Umbra Excal.

"Own frame" as in not a skin and will have own Mastery for Profile Affinity.

This is technically the 4th Excalibur with Excalibur Prime, Excalibur, Excalibur Umbra Prime, and now Excalibur Umbra. 

Why would they break from their established system and choose to rename the 4th variant to something not Excalibur?

The real question to be asking is what whether ChinaFrame is getting Excalibur Umbra with no Void Orb/Deathtrap energy interaction or if Excalibur Umbra will have something different.

(Basically China frames Excalibur Umbra Prime gets the same Prime Void/Deathtrap Energy mechanic. It was teased the Global Excalibur Umbra would retain this energy mechanic letting him function like an Excalibur Prime for non-founders. But does that mean they are screwing over ChinaFrame founders whom are supposed to have the Exclusive Excalibur Umbra Prime?)