The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will we ever learn why there are gender warframes?

TheUnknownD

Because Ballas is one of those kind of artist. Can't help adding a rack or a nice butt.

Or because they are meant to be surrogate bodies. Probably a lot easier to trick a human into thinking thier body is thiers if you include similar traits.

Edited by (PS4)Lowk721

Just now, (PS4)Lowk721 said:

Because Ballas is one of those kind of artist. Can help adding a rack or a nice butt.

Or because they are meant to be surrogate bodies. Probably a lot easier to trick a human into thinking thier body is thiers if you include similar traits.

There are like, 2 nice butts in all the Warframes, the rest are pancakes.  Seriously, paniest of cakes going on back there.  

Also, the Tenno are children, before they hit puberty.  How is a Rhino Codpiece going to be similar to anything those kids have?

I understand the idea you're going for, but...the physical differences between the Warframes and the Tenno are too, ehem, large, to make it work.  i can see them making the Warframes reflect the childrens ideal adult form though.  "This is what I think i'd look like when I grow up" type thing

Warframes are not robots. While they contain technology, they're more like biological creatures. your warfame needs to breathe (seen in the first archwing mission and in survival missions) and i assume when they're in their little boxes not being used they're given some sort of energy source. Though the only warframe we know that has vocal cords is valkyr, since she screams.

Warframes are like this

except the other way around.

And probably also made to suit the operators of the original frames. Who were probably subsumed and formed the baseline semi-conscious intelligence and personality that we see in the Orokin and post-Orokin copies of those original frames. Unlike weapons, warframes get stat increases as you level them, representing you becoming more in tune with that underlying personality. My bet for the Sacrifice and Umbras is giving up *cough* something and more closely merging with a single frame.

9 hours ago, TheUnknownM said:

I'm really hoping in a quest like the sacrifice will finally tell us why there are male and female warframes.

Or was it in one of the previous quests that told us but i simply forgot?

I like to think that warframes are just robot humans and they are empty in the inside and we (The operators) Fill their insides. ❤ and our insides are inside us but its now inside the robot human thing too.

There are male and female frames because there are male and female Tenno. I'm pretty sure, in the Orokin era, each Tenno operated one Warframe, so male Tenno operated male frames and female Tenno operated female frames. There's no official lore for that, but that's based on how past lore talks about the Warframes.

10 hours ago, rapt0rman said:

Because humans (and by extension, future post-humans) have an obsession with making things "in their image", and are more comfortable with concepts they recognise.

It's interesting you state this because it's very true. I mean, think about any AI movie... It's almost always either a delicate female AI either hiding violence, or is genuinely nice, or it's a ravaging male AI like from avengers, but there is never an AI that is genderless... 

I think it's because gender is all we know. We can't possibly imagine something with no gender at all. Gender is what defines a person in a way. You have male and female. XX or YX The mental part is defined by your sexuality. Who you desire, what you desire, what you want and what you need. But gender is a physical lock and defining feature of humanity... So we can't really think outside of that. 

I mean, think of Maslow's hierarchy of needs... Each need can be segregated into the two genders, and can be catagorised into the multiple sexualities but the bottom of the pyramid of needs cannot be brought completely outside gender... 

But this is going way to philosophical. I think the main point is that humans have quite a closed mind set that can't think outside of gender since it's a defining feature. Whenever we do try, we always think of something with both sex combined, or with no reproductive organs at all, but I don't believe that to be truly no gender

Edited by Arniox

55 minutes ago, StinkyPygmy said:

You're overthinking it: Aesthetic. Thats it. We have no reason currently to think it has more meaning than that. It's not that deep fellas.

wk91iFg.png

What's deep is that the 6th tier in Maslow's hierarchy of needs is Aesthetic needs. So for the average human being, the aesthetics of your body are a growth need and how do we meet that need? By artistically representing everything we do with an overlay of gender... 

52 minutes ago, Arniox said:

What's deep is that the 6th tier in Maslow's hierarchy of needs is Aesthetic needs. So for the average human being, the aesthetics of your body are a growth need and how do we meet that need? By artistically representing everything we do with an overlay of gender... 

Am I gonna have to slap you with a wet goopalla? Cause I will slap you with a wet goopalla.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

I would say its an artistic choice by the orokin. Warframes are not simply battlesuits that are made solely for combat with the minimalist materials and having forms that are only made for war. Each warframe has an artistic flair to them and I believe that adding genders was an artistic choices made by the orokin

That said, Warframes are one of the few types of existing orokin art that remains in the current time period. Yes their massive citidels and towers still exist but one of the great  tragedies thats never talked about is how the orokin culture was lost to time since there seem to be no artistic pieces that exist anywhere that I can think of. Today we know a bit about our caveman ancestors due to cave paintings but anthropologists would know next to nothing about orokin culture because theres nothing to draw information from

9 hours ago, rapt0rman said:

And this. Though it's still a theory. And depending on how far you follow the theory it gets a bit more... Evangelion...

That's the whole reason for the story direction chosen by DE. Someone very loves or envies Eva.

2 hours ago, StinkyPygmy said:

You're overthinking it: Aesthetic. Thats it. We have no reason currently to think it has more meaning than that. It's not that deep fellas.

wk91iFg.png

And that ^

Warframe have genders because when WF started and the lore was absent as an entity, DE wanted to make F and M version of each frame (and later had to scrap that concept because of the resources insufficiency). Later on, their "vision" of the frames shifred towards those of the champions in LoL. The same perception persists to the current day.

Basically, there is no lore explanation at this point, no warranty that there will be one, and even less warranty that the potential justification would be coherent and not just serve to patch a hole in the general lore.

Edited by Teloch

1 minute ago, Teloch said:

And that ^

Warframe have genders because when WF started and the lore was absent as an entity, DE wanted to make F and M version of each frame (and later had to scrap that concept because of the resources insufficiency). Later on, their "vision" of the frames shifred towards those of the champions in LoL. The same perception persists to the current day.

Basically, there is no lore explanation at this point, no warranty that there will be one, and even less warranty that the potential justification would be coherent and not just serve to patch a hole in the general lore.

Another good point.

I wouldn't even call it a potential hole in the lore though. It's not something that needs a lore reason beyond how the real world works. People like things and stuff, aesthetics of said things is important to people. Especially in entertainment and visual media. That's about as complex as it needs to be. The Orokin were very clearly big on aesthetics, if we must bring lore into it.

The reason we have "gendered Warframes" (because lets face it, they don't actually have a gender) is the same reason people like certain colours of cars or like to put decals on them. It's why gothic architects designed elaborate carvings on churches etc rather than just building a plain box with cross on it. Because they think it looks cool, gives of a specific feel and is nice to look at.

My theory is.. (Remember this is fully subjective)

Warframes or exoskeletons are living puppets made from the DNA of war heroes/monsters from the past. The Prime version has a genetic DNA that is closer to its original, this explains why they are stronger from the normal ones. Umbra version probably has their own mind contrary to its Prime/Normal which would explains why Steve mentioned you and your warframe being like a tag-team later in the future.

The Stalker is an umbra that is defunct of its function being all-vengeful towards the operators who didn't use them for battles and for betraying their masters, The Orokins. Same goes for the acolytes.

Yeah.. The Sacrifice will reveal whether a piece or the full mystery of Warframes itself.

I thought its because the original warframes are the adults of the zarriman? there's a lore entry (symarris scans i think) about a "proto-rhino" running amok outside of operator controll wich then calms down / goes catatonic when entering a room with frozen tenno. I dono there's some kind of infested tissue inside the frame (wich come to think of it, when building a new warframe do you have to capture and infest a someone to stick inside?) so presumeably whatever was infested and stuck inside the suit had one of the two genders...

Edited by PowerofTwo

5 hours ago, MagPrime said:

There are like, 2 nice butts in all the Warframes, the rest are pancakes.  Seriously, paniest of cakes going on back there.  

Also, the Tenno are children, before they hit puberty.  How is a Rhino Codpiece going to be similar to anything those kids have?

I understand the idea you're going for, but...the physical differences between the Warframes and the Tenno are too, ehem, large, to make it work.  i can see them making the Warframes reflect the childrens ideal adult form though.  "This is what I think i'd look like when I grow up" type thing

Between male and female there are like 3 or four and another two coming with Nezha and octavia skins.

And a cod piece is a piece of armor. Not an Identifiable part of anatomy.

And second dream made them forget they were children. For all they knew they were these super human warriors.

3 minutes ago, PowerofTwo said:

I thought its because the original warframes are the adults of the zarriman? there's a lore entry (symarris scans i think) about a "proto-rhino" running amok outside of operator controll. I dono there's some kind of infested tissue inside the frame (wich come to think of it, when building a new warframe do you have to capture and infest a someone to stick inside?) so presumeably whatever was infested and stuck inside the suit had one of the two genders...

The rhino Prime lore essentially indicates that warframes are a mindless infested golem fused with orokin tech and stuffed in a nice shiny suit to hide the infested meat. Tenno are capable of controlling said infested meat. Seeing as viruses don't have a gender, then no. Warframes don't actually have a gender beyond what the designer chose to make them look like.

ITS NOT THAT DEEP PEOPLE

If the headcanons count then I can say how I imagine this. Warfrmes have genders and sexes because these were suits worn by real living peoples. The operators slightly ruined a lot of headcanon but if you played the dark sector, then you know how the infestation affects the living organisms. The warframes itself a layer grown on to the person who wearing it like the chromas armor. Most of them reminds us infested origins while others look different. If you look the style of nidus or vauban then you clearly see two different ideas on a warframe. Same with mag and for example saryn. Both are looks different but both users were female. On some trailer and hints by lore there were signs these were living peoples. Like the limbo quest or titania quest. 

My headcanon simply says these are suits and originally humans used but then these died or just removed from their armor and after modified to use by the teen operators. If you look at closer the mag "long ago worked" then you can see a face behind the helmet but I guess they patched out. The old warframe models also were made for real peoples after they begin to create more weird models and frames like nekros, inaros, titania (long neck), etc. These are now seems fit to their (devs) wishes and imagination but the old models clearly look like real peoples could use them. Also in dark sector which is non canon but inspiration you can see Hayden to wearing the old excal armor. The two thing different because the timeline Hayden lived was thousands of years before the warframe story begins. The humanity evolved into the orokin the grineers were inthat time a simple corporation of peoples with goals and the corpus not existed then. They experimented with the infestation and some weird thing come out from. Lephantis maybe old enough to be a character in the Dark sector but the majority of characters existed later.

My headcanon dismissed with the operators but I still using my own idea because I feel that fit more for the story of warframes. Many peoples who tought the same left or accepted the operators nearly almost all. Others with their headcanons also used to accept the story but the operators in dark sector were pilots and we did the job alone. In this game we are both. 

For me the genders are evidence of they were once real persons otherwise no reason to make robots look like humans if their purpose to kill. The reason is if they wanted to make strong and reliable spies then they could just make androids which looks perfectly how they design them and they can easily infiltrate the enemies and they can trust to them because they looks perfectly humans. If they just want to use killing machines then they doesn't need any design on them because they can just make a "moa". Their looks are clearly a living biosuit with metallic and synthetic combinations so the original users could just wear them. Eyes no need on these models because the helmets can have an interior sensor almost the same like the iron man using with some augmentet vision. That is why they doesn't have real faces just imitations. Some helmet however looks weird or just so small to a normal skull. Limbo is a prime example but I can imagine the neck and the head is a bit lower and the helmet is just the top of the head.

The weird designs like the long neck titania or inaros underbelly is what makes a bit different. Octavia leggs are weird also but we can see runners nowadays with synthetic legg modifications so it is not a surprise in the future this can be possible.  

2 hours ago, Teloch said:

And that ^

This is the closest and one realistic idea behind it. They had no rescources in that time so they scrapped the gender options. Femal excal is Nyx which still uses the characteristics of Excal.