Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Onslaught combines the worst properties of existing endless modes

RealPandemonium

It's like Survival, but with no map.

It's like Defense, but you can't make it go faster by killing faster.

It's like Interception, but there are no objectives to manage and it takes even longer.

Space control doesn't matter, killing speed doesn't really matter until much further in (or when the tile bugs and doesn't spawn,) and only one map tile means "find the best spot and wait."  It's like all the worst properties of the previous endless modes, combined into one.  You could say that this is the quintessence of boring Warframe "endgame."  Onslaught is basically "that place I farm focus when I'm not killing Eidolons."  It's a more efficient Hydron, which is what a lot of players wanted, I guess.  But does DE really want to encourage factory farming like this?  I guess they do.  

Edited by RealPandemonium

idunno i liked the Survival Event, and this taking place in one Tile at a time is much like that. it was different and kinda goofy but it was fun to play a few times a day since it was something out of the ordinary.
i certainly haven't been pitching a tent in one corner of each Tile, as it hasn't been crucially important to do so. moving around actively has been working just fine (just higher risk).

for the rest of it, carry on.

Edited by taiiat

I would tend to agree, while I tend to gravitate to endless missions Onslaught does feel lacking compared to existing endless modes. It is quite possible that DE just wanted a place for players to officially farm affinity; but not be able to gather the large pools of resources or other drops that could be gathered if luck was with a player in normal endless missions. I do wonder though if the air supply mechanic for Onslaught, Efficiency could be looked at to better prioritize making the mode active instead of a roll of the dice whether the enemies will reward enough.

42 minutes ago, RealPandemonium said:

It's a more efficient Hydron, which is what a lot of players wanted, I guess.  But does DE really want to encourage factory farming like this?  I guess they do.  

Of course it is....After Onslaught was added i found that MANY players were EASILY able to get the focus cap...multiple days in a row.....something that WAS NOT possible for casual players beforehand.

personally, I've hit my cap each day since Onslaught was added....all within an hour...WITHOUT having to resort to cheesy stealth mechanic abuse.

Even one of my clan mates who doesnt have affinity boosters going still manages to cap his focus within 2, maybe 3 at most, runs of up to zone 8-11.

I am kind of hoping they incorporate the spawn mechanics to survival, as it WOULD drastically help with keeping life support up and the flow of enemies coming...because as of now, well enemies are spawning god knows where and having to hunt us down from 200-800 meters away.

Defense...eh, yeah we are on a timer per zone, but its not like we are defending an objective.

Interception...same as defense.

i think the only thing i dont really like about it is the Efficiency...because then it effectively gimps us into frames that can mass kill (not back to back constantly...but all at once, be it small clusters *maiming strike slide2win cheese* or massive groups *such as Spore Saryn, massive range Octavia, Nuke em all Equinox, or Resonating Quake Banshee *of those 4, only Equinox I have yet to try as i don't find that style fun at all*, though Ive had good success with Mesa until Zone 11)

Yeah, Onslaught has quite a waste of potential, the whole premise can be made fun but it wasn't executed well.

The whole notion of Simaris performing testing wasn't built upon more than mixing and matching tiles and factions which often times backfires horribly by creating a bottleneck where it's almost impossible for the player to succeed (current stage 11 Kuva Fortress anyone?)

I don't really have an idea what could be done to improve upon the "stand in place for 3 minutes" gameplay of the mode, but I can only ask to build upon its premise, Simaris performing tests.

It's been proven time and time again that the game is capable of surprising feats, be it intended or not, one of them being mismatched skyboxes which create peculiar results, other peculiarities could be e.g. enemies changing size, or exploding on death, or running backwards and upside down, all enemies being melee only, anything!

There's allegedly a promise of modifiers being on weekly rotation but given that the mode currently is beta within beta, they might as well have changed every 2 stages to let players experience them and provide feedback so we don't end up with another barely playable mode because nobody at DE could've foreseen how players would actually play it.

At least it's a decent farming spot for now, I don't agree with lv30 frame requirements for the basic Onslaught mode but as it's been mentioned above, it's a more fun way of topping focus daily, for now.

Edited by JuicyButthurt

It's much better than the Sedna Interception focus and affinity farming players were usually engaging into. 

Also, it's quite easy to undermine the facts by pointing only the bad parts, but this game mode has it's good parts as well. Fresh enemy and tilesets combination, a place where you can kill stuff without having all that much stuff to worry about, another high level mission type (the elite mode) etc.

Edited by -N7-Leonhart

19 minutes ago, -N7-Leonhart said:

It's much better than the Sedna Interception focus and affinity farming players were usually engaging into. 

Also, it's quite easy to undermine the facts by pointing only the bad parts, but this game mode has it's good parts as well. Fresh enemy and tilesets combination, a place where you can kill stuff without having all that much stuff to worry about, another high level mission type (the elite mode) etc.

As stated in the OP it's a good and valid affinity farming zone but it's not fun in any of the ways that the modes it's derived from can be fun, and brings nothing new gameplay-wise.  Instead of making focus collection at a practical rate occur during general gameplay, they just replaced Hydron and Adaro with Onslaught.  And they added a new game mode which is a step down from its predecessors in terms of being engaging for the player.  

Edited by RealPandemonium

1 hour ago, RealPandemonium said:

And they added a new game mode which is a step down from its predecessors in terms of being engaging for the player.  

Subjective. All you state is your personal opinion, not general opinion. And even if the general opinion is 50/50 (although there are no ways to measure it), it would still mean that half of the players like it. And note that this game mode is still in it's infancy. Should I mention you the mountain of problems the Survival had when it was first introduced?

Adding it was by all means a step forward instead of not adding it at all.

2 hours ago, RealPandemonium said:

It's like Survival, but with no map.

It's like Defense, but you can't make it go faster by killing faster.

It's like Interception, but there are no objectives to manage and it takes even longer.

This is all true.

On the flip side, if you ignore the mandatory 'killing stuff within a timeframe' (since you're mostly be doing that anyway), Onslaught is also free of the other modes' alternate failure conditions:
- While it does have Life Support (by any other name), it has no traversal between tiles (or squadmates going wherethehell ever and) screwing up the spawns
- No pod to protect.
- Again, no enemies spawning across the map to cap a point, spread out squad, etc.

Just go in and kill stuff.
Simple, direct, unadulterated. Just Mayhem.

2 hours ago, RealPandemonium said:

But does DE really want to encourage factory farming like this?  I guess they do.

Seems to me more like- with the combat systems / direction they chose, they can't really do much better.

Edit: That said, I'd love to see how Onslaught would be with the 'max 2 simultanouesly shooting enemies at once' cap removed from the AI :P

Edited by Chroia

1 hour ago, Kalvorax said:

Of course it is....After Onslaught was added i found that MANY players were EASILY able to get the focus cap...multiple days in a row.....something that WAS NOT possible for casual players beforehand.

personally, I've hit my cap each day since Onslaught was added....all within an hour...WITHOUT having to resort to cheesy stealth mechanic abuse.

Even one of my clan mates who doesnt have affinity boosters going still manages to cap his focus within 2, maybe 3 at most, runs of up to zone 8-11.

Wait, elite or no because that's nerfed now

Funnily enough, onslaught is not horrible in and of itself. It only becomes boring if you will try to go as far as possible, thus minmaxing the loadout and using cheesy tactics, and will do that over and over again with exact same minmaxed loadout. As long as I just grab whatever weapon and frame I feel like using and go in with without having any specific goals in mind or looking for a particular drop, onslaught can be good mindless fun, especially with no loot dropping from enemies to distract me from combat. But as soon as I start thinking "I need to consistently get to rot C as I have Khora to farm", everything goes south and I quickly find myself sporting my farmer loadout of power/range Saryn & heavily formad atomos. And it can be fun to minmax as well, except that if you're doing this many times in a row with a sole purpose of consistently hitting stage 8(which is not a cakewalk for a mid-MR solo player), all fun is sucked out of it.

Which I suppose if a good metaphor for the Warframe endgame in general: we're running the same content over and over to farm stuff we decided we need. With the amount of farm required, the end result becomes the only purpose we play some particular content which turns what supposed to be the main purpose of the game(actually playing the missions and having fun) into the chase for a particular reward with mission itself becoming a chore.