Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

tennocon DIGITAL PACK sold out

bio007hunter

I don't follow any meta-news/events. So I don't watch the streams, don't typically go to the website, and the little news console is mostly tuned out. The headline titles for tennocon stuff was all "TENNOCON IS HERE!!!!!!" in big bold letters, but since that's an IRL event and I live literally on the other side in the world, I tuned it out. Didn't see anything in the shop, and whatever was shown for the "digital ticket" was not in any headlines.

All I want is a 1 time (as in, you see it once, then it goes away) splash screen advertising it. Outside of that, put it in the shop in-game just like the special frame packs with a link to the ticket page. Easy to do and people that tune out meta-game news/events won't get passed over. If you *do* follow those info sources I can see why you'd think it would be impossible to miss specifically the digital pack and the fact that it had in-game rewards. But, I just play the game in a small group and tune most of the other noise out since so far 99% of the time it's irrelevant to me.

28 minutes ago, Sibernetika said:

Soooo I may only talk if I fully agree with you and jump on your bandwagon... Thats nice 

I directly asked you why you disagree with the idea of making the in-game advertising better. Your retort so far has been the non-engagement of "it's fine". Again, objectively speaking, it was not fine for thousands of people, which equals tens of thousands of dollars DE missed out on. That's not "fine" for anyone. I asked you to engage instead of going off topic, it's a reasonable request.

And again, that's not how DE operates not even with their main game... They way they went with it is their standard business practice, I don't see why DE should change that to suit the people that ignores everything else they do.. It was advertised months in advance and people still missed it. Don't make DE turn into other companies that constantly bombard you with adverts.

Luckily DE has a better attitude than most of the players insulting others for being disappointed in this thread, although the game despite being amazing, often has lots of 'insider' information, that casual players are unlikely to come across. In fact there's lots of things that even with people helping you out, takes time to learn, as there's so much that the old hands take for granted. The elitest attitude here suggests that some people like withholding that info to boost their sense of superiority, which is nothing new in gaming. 

Communication in the game is poor overall really if you ask me, and like many people here I got a notification of Baro's arrival, but couldn't access and wondered why. I've been on break for a few months due to work, and find it strange that I'd get a notification for content I can't access. That aside, I only check the site here if I have an issue (google search direct to forums), never check the news in game it's all spam, or rarely if I get a really good plat discount.

Thing is, just because you spend your life glued to this game, don't expect normal people to. Lots of people just play and their feedback is just as valuable as those in the know. 

21 minutes ago, komoriblues said:

And I mean, look at how effective the inbox was impacting people conversely this time in raising confusion lol.

So... you're saying that this could have really been avoided by not sending the Baro message to anyone without the digital access? That the accidental message going to people that couldn't see the Relay is the real source of the confusion?

9 minutes ago, Thaylien said:

So... you're saying that this could have really been avoided by not sending the Baro message to anyone without the digital access? That the accidental message going to people that couldn't see the Relay is the real source of the confusion?

I have said that before, yes. Or, seeing as the inbox drew in an audience interested unintend to the event consider how to use it for more folks in the future effectively. As for now I'm not aware it's been done before? Seems like they found a "hit" for an audience with it this year even if by mistake. In other words, use the inbox system to spread the word next year!

Edited by komoriblues

1 hour ago, komoriblues said:

Not perfectly fine. That's potential revenue lost because they didn't extend a deadline through the event selling "tickets at the door". Unless there's a hard cap on virtual real estate or effects to profits we don't see (which is possible), things can improve for everyone involved and keep this kind of publicity out of the minds eye. But beyond that, in the spirit of TennoCon I would hope people may attend up to the last day of the event with a digital pass if they were so inclined, barring not something logistically being very difficult. It's TennoCon! Another question we could ask is, why July 3rd? There had to be business reasons, but I really hope they find a better way next year

There is one very good reason as to why they didn't extend the deadline through the event and "sell tickets at the door": So that they could make sure all the orders got processed and people got what they paid for.

For example: I bought the digital ticket when they went on sale, took a few hours before my order was processed and I got the items.  One of my friends bought it shortly after me and it took him a full day and half before he got his items from the pack.

Now imagine how bad it would have been to buy your digital tennocon ticket the day of...and then not get access because it took a day and a half to process the order?
DEs solution to this potential problem?  Stop selling the tickets ahead of time so that they can ensure all the orders are fully processed by the time of the event and everyone who paid actually gets the access to what they paid fore.

Beyond all of that though:
The proceeds from the tickets did two things, went to charity and help pay for the event.  Which again takes time to process on their end.
They had to end the ticket sales early to ensure that the money spent on the tickets actually went to the right places.

TL;DR: it was a combination of both ensuring that people got what they paid for as well as the administrative side of ensuring all the money goes to all of the right places.

38 minutes ago, Sibernetika said:

And again, that's not how DE operates not even with their main game... They way they went with it is their standard business practice, I don't see why DE should change that to suit the people that ignores everything else they do.. It was advertised months in advance and people still missed it. Don't make DE turn into other companies that constantly bombard you with adverts.

1-time splash screen for people who log directly into the game and play is not bombardment, done with ya and your ignorance.

6 hours ago, Tsukinoki said:

There is one very good reason as to why they didn't extend the deadline through the event and "sell tickets at the door": So that they could make sure all the orders got processed and people got what they paid for.

For example: I bought the digital ticket when they went on sale, took a few hours before my order was processed and I got the items.  One of my friends bought it shortly after me and it took him a full day and half before he got his items from the pack.

Now imagine how bad it would have been to buy your digital tennocon ticket the day of...and then not get access because it took a day and a half to process the order?
DEs solution to this potential problem?  Stop selling the tickets ahead of time so that they can ensure all the orders are fully processed by the time of the event and everyone who paid actually gets the access to what they paid fore.

Beyond all of that though:
The proceeds from the tickets did two things, went to charity and help pay for the event.  Which again takes time to process on their end.
They had to end the ticket sales early to ensure that the money spent on the tickets actually went to the right places.

TL;DR: it was a combination of both ensuring that people got what they paid for as well as the administrative side of ensuring all the money goes to all of the right places.

Good info, there's your answer for a deadline folks. I still wonder if they could improve some of those "administrative" things to sell tickets during the event. Not saying it's a great idea, but wonder what could effectively handle the progress tracking around the event to possibly make it a goal next year to have digital passes during the event. I mean, TennoGen allows users to buy things for instant access and the proceeds go to the creators. Maybe a similar model can be used. Hard to say not knowing the x's and o's of how it really worked for the event. 

Edited by komoriblues

You ignored everything and then believe you would have paid attention to the one time splash screen.. Go try hackers and then tell me, at what level did that one time splash screen show up informing you to build another database or be stuck at your current level.. You guys will then complain it was only once.. I pressed okay without reading it, it should have happened more times. 

Just now, kaizoku222 said:

1-time splash screen for people who log directly into the game and play is not bombardment, done with ya and your ignorance.

I actually like how DE doesn't have the game constantly bombard you with ads or event information every single time you log in like other games do.
I mean it would get annoying to be bugged about tennocon, to be bugged about PAs both coming and going, to be bugged about what items are going into the vault, to be bugged when the vault opens and closes, and so on.

DE does a good job of telling people whats happening in and out of game.  It's not their fault if you refuse to pay attention to any of it.

And I can already see all the people, like you, complaining "B-b-but they should have told us more than once!  I saw it one time only and forgot because the game didn't remind me!" and pretty soon it would be a constant replacement for the normal login screen instead of the clean and simple one that doesn't shove every last piece of info at you constantly.  I like to think that DEs handles us like people that can find stuff like that on our own without being constantly nagged about it.

Which is why I also suggested a shop link the same way we have frame/skin packs. They don't do a good job of it in-game currently, or, once again, for the 5th time, thousands of people who would have bought the pack wouldn't have missed it. Stop taking a combative and personal tone for a suggestion that's incredibly reasonable and non-invasive in-game.

5 minutes ago, Tsukinoki said:

I actually like how DE doesn't have the game constantly bombard you with ads or event information every single time you log in like other games do.
I mean it would get annoying to be bugged about tennocon, to be bugged about PAs both coming and going, to be bugged about what items are going into the vault, to be bugged when the vault opens and closes, and so on.

DE does a good job of telling people whats happening in and out of game.  It's not their fault if you refuse to pay attention to any of it.

And I can already see all the people, like you, complaining "B-b-but they should have told us more than once!  I saw it one time only and forgot because the game didn't remind me!" and pretty soon it would be a constant replacement for the normal login screen instead of the clean and simple one that doesn't shove every last piece of info at you constantly.  I like to think that DEs handles us like people that can find stuff like that on our own without being constantly nagged about it.

I wouldn't want bombardment either, but one courtesy inbox message just before the deadline of the event may not hurt to effectively reach an audience not discovered otherwise and act as a friendly reminder. I mean, we do get event messages already that break canon (I'm thinking of the chest accessory with the orange ribbon?) 

Edited by komoriblues

3 hours ago, kaizoku222 said:

I don't follow any meta-news/events. So I don't watch the streams, don't typically go to the website, and the little news console is mostly tuned out. The headline titles for tennocon stuff was all "TENNOCON IS HERE!!!!!!" in big bold letters, but since that's an IRL event and I live literally on the other side in the world, I tuned it out. Didn't see anything in the shop, and whatever was shown for the "digital ticket" was not in any headlines.

All I want is a 1 time (as in, you see it once, then it goes away) splash screen advertising it. 

Uh.... You just said that you chose to ignore anything dealing with or advertising Tennocon, ignored the news, and market and everything related to the whole thing. 

The idea of a one time prompt is nice, but what happens when someone didn't log in during the time that the prompt is active? Or they show up and it's just too late to be of use? 

Why should anyone believe that the suggestion you gave would have been dealt with in a different way? I don't understand your position. No matter what, some people would still be disgruntled. 

And new players who do get excited and buy the ticket would be upset because they might spend the money on a ticket to a trader that they can't trade with. That would lead to many people who are disgruntled still being disgruntled. 

I ignored tennocon stuff because it wasn't emphasized at all that there were going to be in-game rewards, I saw it as a 100% IRL event. In-game rewards should necessitate in-game advertisement equivalent to what other in-game specials have, right? So why not have a nice little box on the front page of the market with a picture of the goods and a description just like frame/skin packs? As for the one-time splash screen thing, have it active the three months leading up to the con. That's plenty of time for pretty much anyone that plays the game to get the notice, I like the idea of using the in-game mailbox for  an announcement/link as well.

My biggest issue is that there were a chunk of in-game rewards that were not advertised through the same avenues as similar new content/rewards. The stream stuff/IRL things and social media announcements are typically handled through the site and news feed, in game  rewards are at least advertised somewhere in the marketplace."let's not do anything because some people will always be upset" is not really an argument.

I have no problem with how it was setup.  I didn't buy a ticket because I was pissed with khora drop rates.  I spent 2 months trying to get that frame and decided never to spend money again until the drop rates are fixed.  

So I missed out, big deal.  I've got plenty cosmetics and everything from baro is recycled and the mods/weapons are tradable.

Where DE did messup is sending an in game message to all players!  Why do this is your not going to sale tickets to players for baro access (maybe they don't want cosmetics or plat)?

If players forgot or never noticed, why send the in-game message to everyone?  Send it to ticket buyers only and threads like this wouldn't exist.  

If your smart, send an in-game message weeks in advance stating all advantages and link a website to message...

1 hour ago, kaizoku222 said:

I ignored tennocon stuff because it wasn't emphasized at all that there were going to be in-game rewards, I saw it as a 100% IRL event. In-game rewards should necessitate in-game advertisement equivalent to what other in-game specials have, right?

That's ignoring it because you thought that it had nothing to do with you, is exactly why people who did that would have just clicked through and ignored it anyway. 

I got in game ads, in the market, in news, in the mobile app. Every single time I played, the information was there for me to see. I could have chosen to ignore it, but I accept that if I had, it would be on me. I can't blame them for the decisions I make. You admit that you chose to ignore what you saw because you figured you weren't interested. 

I really don't know what could have changed that for you, other than having someone sit you down and say that your future self sent a message to read this stuff. I don't believe that the suggestion you made would have worked if you were intent on ignoring the information anyway. 

16 minutes ago, Educated_Beast said:

If players forgot or never noticed, why send the in-game message to everyone?  Send it to ticket buyers only and threads like this wouldn't exist.  

I highly doubt that. 

6 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Uh.... You just said that you chose to ignore anything dealing with or advertising Tennocon, ignored the news, and market and everything related to the whole thing.

The idea of a one time prompt is nice, but what happens when someone didn't log in during the time that the prompt is active? Or they show up and it's just too late to be of use? 

Why should anyone believe that the suggestion you gave would have been dealt with in a different way? I don't understand your position. No matter what, some people would still be disgruntled.

What you've said is all true and people will miss the message no matter what, but there are those examples of people who missed the event who could have been reached with better communication. I mean, of course the example of someone purposely ignoring the event won't attend, but there are a lot of examples here of people who probably could have been better informed too. It's not much of a stretch to make it possible. There are a variety of ways to do this not being employed that have to do with more effective use of existing channels, I've mentioned several. I have another suggestion. Players have an option to "opt to have promotions and notifications sent to my email" to receive messages to their personal email if it's more effective. Yes, this might not be what many players want (personally I don't like the idea for myself), but it may be helpful to someone not like me and it's one more way to get the word out for the event.  

Sharing ideas on how to improve the process is more effective conversation than telling people they're a subform of a human being (not talking about you, just reinforcing it's not helpful to anyone or the image of the community to have players insulting each other). Not everyone has the same capability of "asking the next question" to find what they're ultimately looking for all kinds of reasons. A lot of people here appear to be new to the game and interested in having fun, I don't mean to pull this into the new player experience category but there are a lot of parallels to how this information was missed similarly to those learning to play. A digital pass included more than access to the TennoCon relay that draw to the most casual market. There are also people who actually farmed the ducats for the TennoCon relay, but didn't know it was part of the digital pass. There are a lot of different reasons for why people were interested in the event. There are a lot of ways to improve on it.  

It's not unreasonable to explore ways of improving accomodation and the event next year. It's not meant to be a knock on DE by talking about it, but rather a way of including more people to TennoCon. DE has already done a lot of positive things to promote the event with a lot of channels.There's still a missed market from this year that could be reached next year with changes. There's a market of "normies" to the game that should be tapped into harder in a lot of ways with improved policy and planning. I want this game to pull in people as much as possible for the continuation and growth of the franchise! I'm interested in keeping those people in the future, not telling them "too bad, so sad. Should have done your homework".

Edited by komoriblues

2 hours ago, komoriblues said:

I have another suggestion. Players have an option to "opt to have promotions and notifications sent to my email" to receive messages to their personal email if it's more effective. Yes, this might not be what many players want (personally I don't like the idea for myself), but it may be helpful to someone not like me and it's one more way to get the word out for the event.  

Uh... You have made a suggestion for reaching people that requires an opt in. At least some of the people you are describing admit to actively avoiding the news, and market items that were notifications related to the promotion. Worse you said that your suggestion is not something that would appeal even to you. I'm really confused about that. 

I'm not saying that it might not have been useful to some who were interested in reading such material, but it seems to me that they generally aren't the people complaining in this case. 

15 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Uh... You have made a suggestion for reaching people that requires an opt in. At least some of the people you are describing admit to actively avoiding the news, and market items that were notifications related to the promotion. Worse you said that your suggestion is not something that would appeal even to you. I'm really confused about that. 

I'm not saying that it might not have been useful to some who were interested in reading such material, but it seems to me that they generally aren't the people complaining in this case. 

I mentioned it's not appealing to me but can be effective for those who find it helpful. I think there's a niche spot for it to the casual market and beyond. Not every idea has to be appealing to me individually to still be effective. I'm thinking about other people besides myself. 

So far, this is what I'm getting out of it with my suggestions:

• Provide an in game notification in the inbox that the digital pass deadline is about to be met, explaining what's in the kit (similar to this https://www.warframe.com/tennocon/attend#digitalpack). Not recurring over and over, just a single message a few days prior to the deadline.
  • Have purples on during key events to officially clarify what may be causing confusion among the players (reduces player to player hostility and accidental misinformation)
  • Have the option for players to receive email notifications outside of the game related to upcoming promotions and deadlines within the game (Prime Access, new updates, TennoCon, etc)

All of this is focused around the goal of improving the communication to players and create an even more successful event. Especially email and the in-game inbox, it's a direct message to the user. The user doesn't have to go seeking information themselves, the information comes directly to them. Do you have any suggestions?

Other ideas:

• In the future is it possible to use something more similar to the "TennoGen" purchasing model for a digital pack? Would this open up more flexibility to passes being sold during the event? TennoGen currently allows in game purchase and access to digital content while an amount of the purchase goes to the creator which may similarly meet requirements to fulfill the donations made during TennoCon.

So I have basically two goals, one of which improves communication to players leading up to and during the event and the other to explore having a Digital Pack available during the event. The ultimate objective would be to make a more streamlined and accessible event for future TennoCon. 

Edited by komoriblues

Don't know what to say other than through regular play the only way I could have run into info about the digital pack was through the news kiosk, which I seriously doubt I'm the only person to generally ignore. I didn't see any direct information about the digital pack and in-game rewards from login to in-game group content and all the normal steps between. During that time I browsed the shop and bought plat once even.