Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some (hopefully) useful tips about Eidolon for newbies

(PSN)OriginalEquinox

Question

I'm sure everyone here who joins pub groups can relate when I say not a day goes by when a unprepared, under equipped low level joins your squad and forces you into leaving and trying again or put in extra effort to make up for their unhelpfulness. So I thought I'd share some basic tips in hopes that someone will find them useful, let's go.

Before you start a hunt

*You must complete The War Within and speak to Quill Onko in Cetus (to the right of the gate leading into the plains) in order to get your first amp which is required to take out a Eidolons shield so you can shoot it with your weapons.

*Operator Void mode (L1 on PS4) makes you immune to any and all damage that a eidolon can throw at you but those S#&$s will still send you half way across the map if you're close by when they stomp the ground, remember to use it when reviving allies and to avoid incoming attacks so your space hooman don't die every two seconds.

*Before starting a fight with a Eidolon, go to any nearby grineer camps and look for a green balloon like thing called a Lure. Once you find it, shoot and hack it to get it to follow you. These things help you by stopping the eidolon from teleporting away after you damage it. To get them to do that you have to first get them close enough to kill and absorb Vomvalysts (small head like thingy that fly around and shoot you while fishing) and once they absorb enough they will emit a blue pulse and the yellow icon above them will turn blue indicating they're ready to be helpful instead of just sit there and block your view when you're trying to shoot. You can also kill vomvalists with your operators amp and collect the small blue ball they drop (not the sentient core the other one) by just walking over it and then running next to a lure. Also you need about three of these to capture a eidolon and get extra loot at the end of the battle so make sure you have enough of them before engaging a eidolon.

*Eidolons are highly vulnerable to radiation damage which you can get by combining Electricity and Fire elemental mods.

Hunting giants

*Eidolon fights have several stages that you need to remember and anticipate in order to be effective. To start you need to switch to your operator and shoot it with your amp till it's purple shield bar is depleted. Then you switch to your Warframe and aim for one of the square shaped targets on it's limbs (they have a yellow healthbars when you aim at them) and shoot it till it breaks. Each time you break one of those the eidolon will send out a massive EMP blast that will damage you and deplete your Warframes energy, you can either try to run out of the area of effect or use void mode to avoid taking damage at the cost of losing your frame's energy. Once all of the targets on it's limbs are destroyed it will let out a cry which will cause you to get swarmed by vomvalysts, at that point you need to switch to operator and take out as many as possible before they reach the eidolon and sacrifice themselves to replenish it's health and shields (this can also happen after you take out it's shields if you don't destroy the target on it's limbs fast enough). After a few seconds the eidolon will get back up for one last stand and it won't have any shields so you can go ham with your weapons.

Weapon and Warframes

*For the weapon it's pretty simple, you want something thats accurate and hits hard, so the best choice is a sniper rifle. There's the Vectis or Rubico  which are pretty good with Rivens but most players prefer the Lanka because of it's innate Electricity stat meaning all you need are the basic damage and elemental mods to get over 15k radiation damage which will let you take out limbs in seconds.

*As for frames there are a few mandatory ones that every meta group consists of and those are,

Volt/Rhino/Chroma for damage.

Trinity/Oberon for keeping lures alive.

Harrow/Limbo for countering the eidolons EMP attack.

I highly recommend not bringing anything aside from these frames or weapons into hunts because if you do, you're immediately a liability and usually the one being blamed if the hunt isn't successful.

Hope you found this guide helpful and good luck racking up those articulas.( Yes you get awesome eidolon action figures for capturing them that you can decorate your Orbiter with)

5 minutes ago, (XB1)D00M INCARNATE said:

Thanks!

Quick question though, why is Volt a damage frame? Just for the static passive?

Also, why isn't Octavia on that damage list? (Amp)

Volt's shields help amplify weapon damage by buffing crit attacks if I remember correctly, but most importantly it increases operator amp damage which helps a lot because you're gonna spend most of your time trying to take out it's shields.

As for Octavia, you have to build her for range to help your team which would leave less room for defensive mods meaning she'll be too squshy, and you need all the health and shields you can get, specially when fighting Garry and Harry.

31 minutes ago, (XB1)D00M INCARNATE said:

Is this an aug or something? Do you just have to shoot through the shield? I feel like I'm missing something...

Shooting through the volt shields, have to my memory alwasys buffed crits 😛 no augment required.

2 hours ago, (XB1)D00M INCARNATE said:

Is this an aug or something? Do you just have to shoot through the shield? I feel like I'm missing something...

it also stacks like uhh 4 times if i remember right id use the aug since it just adds up static for doing its job as a shield

15 minutes ago, seprent said:

it also stacks like uhh 4 times if i remember right id use the aug since it just adds up static for doing its job as a shield

No. It boosts crit damage only once. It adds more electric damage with each extra shield, though.

Also, these unlisted effects are why I rely on the wiki.

11 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

No. It boosts crit damage only once. It adds more electric damage with each extra shield, though.

Also, these unlisted effects are why I rely on the wiki.

huh could have sworn it stacks oh well ive been wrong before maybe i was thinking of the bonus shock damage you get from firing through it

4 hours ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

Volt/Rhino/Chroma for damage.

I recommend rhino over chroma, chroma requires a more experienced player. Rhino you can just build for duration and strength and make sure you cast roar on your DPS, you don't really need range cause everyone should be grouping up on volt shields anyways.

I've met very few chromas who are good at the role.

If you are doing pick up groups a lot, you may as well learn to play Trinity or volt, because rhino and harrow players are a dime a dozen.

Trinity has the most difficult job as a Warframe, if you're using rhino over chroma, you may not go into operator mode often. While the base of her role is simple, it's not fun trying to regain energy if a harrow fails or if you miss a covenant cast, as well as it can make a run to south quick if you lose that ability to heal your crowd.

Most pick up groups expect you to gather most of the lures, if not all of them, so expect that. I generally just grab about 10 lures out of the gate. You need 2 for the teralyst and 3 for the gantalyst and hydrolyst. The extra 2 are just in case one dies or you accidentally tell one to hold position in the thick of things, even more so you don't wanna have to travel a few hundred meters just to tell it to follow you again.

If you gather all the lures on the teralyst fight, you can just return to the group and on transition to the kill phase, when the vomvalysts swarm to try and heal the eidolon, you can get your lures charged by killing a decent amount of vomvalysts.

As a Trinity you want a bless trin, the goal is for damage resistance and keeping lures alive, trin is easier than oberon and requires less attention, just cast your 4 every 10 seconds and you're good. How you maintain energy is up to you. Energy discs are nice, but mildly expensive without a lot of farm. Energizing dash works well if you use energy vamp on vomvalysts, most people will tell you it's pointless to EV vomvalysts, but with strength and range and vomvalysts moving around a lot it gives you less of a reason to focus on them when you could be doing something else.

With healing being your main goal, if you can't spec for a bless trin am EV trin can work in a pinch, EV on vomvalysts will keep the groups energy up, but you'll want to be casting blessing a lot more often, not as efficient as a bless trin, but it is viable if you're lacking options.

Volts job is simple to perform, but location is important, haven't played the role myself so hopefully someone will reply to this with positioning tips, but essentially just cast 3 (some volts cast 5 even though I've heard 3 is Max benefits) shields on top of each other.

Harrow is simple, all you really care about is strength and efficiency and defense with natural talent, some people recommend a 95% duration over 100%, but I run base 100% and have never missed my mark. The goal is to cast Covenant, this will immunize your team from damage and energy drain during the "energy spike." Just cast it when you see the blue start to radiat from the eidolon and you will be safe, no need to leave your Warframe unless you wanna be ready for the next phase, but not critical.

There are more in depth and experienced players who have guides up that involve the tenno school trees

I would recommend finding these guides, even if you can't currently use some of the operator abilities they refer to, it can help provide you with a heading to where you want to end up. There's also some controversy as to what amp you use, and I see people saying "use this amp" but I've never gotten an explanation as to why, chat told me to use 223, so at the time I just did, but I'll be testing them out myself once I have the resources to make all the variants.

Essentially there is a shotgun, a dime, and a burst grenade rifle ( I think is the last variant), but all's the same that most people recommend the crit brace ( lohrin?)

Lanka with radiation damage, crit chance/damage, and damage will help you tackle eidolong, some people say vectis or the other sniper because they don't have a travel time, but if you're able to predict well, that won't be a problem and you'll benefit more from the higher crit build up.

On a personal note, just get the gist of it down and really learn your role, (preferably 3/4 roles) I'm still performing double tricaps, even when I have to do most of the work, even when I have to play Trinity.

But regardless good luck.

Nice post! You hit all the fundamentals of trilodon. 

If i may add a few more pointers:

Play a frame that youre comfortable with from the 4 listed above (please dont bring valkyr or saryn.. even excal umbra is meh)

Get in recruiting chat and either LF casual or H a casual (setting expectations)

Know your role and keep an eye on squad chat or waypoint (when its time to insert shards in between rounds)

Always always check the lures (amount and status). Often, someone will shoot a synovia without a charge lure or killing a eidolon because some lures died along the way.

If there isnt a trin in the squad, take one for the team and run trin. Id rather have 2 trins than 2 chromas/rhino

5 hours ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

Weapon and Warframes

*For the weapon it's pretty simple, you want something thats accurate and hits hard, so the best choice is a sniper rifle. There's the Vectis or Rubico  which are pretty good with Rivens but most players prefer the Lanka because of it's innate Electricity stat meaning all you need are the basic damage and elemental mods to get over 15k radiation damage which will let you take out limbs in seconds.

Will there be a following post as to what a generic edilon killing sniper rifle should be lick? and how about the opticor?

2 minutes ago, LYoshiiro said:

Will there be a following post as to what a generic edilon killing sniper rifle should be lick? and how about the opticor?

Opticor has a huge charge up time that would be fixed with firerate mods I think, but it's still not very effective against relatively fast moving small targets, but if you can get a good riven for it and are confident with your accuracy go ahead but be sure to have radiation damage on it.

But I'd highly recommend building a Lanka for it because there's a reason it's so popular. You'll need about 6 forma (4xV and 2xdash) polarities should do. Use the basic damage build of Serration, Split chamber, Heavy calibur, point strike and Vital sense for damage and the two elemental mods to make radiation damage. The last mod slot can be used for a riven or just use Hammer shot or Vigilante armaments and you have yourself a eidolon killer.

Opticor USED to be the meta for Eidolons.

But then I think they did something to the Synovia hitbox that made sniper rifles the clear-cut go-to weapon.

Lanka is the main sniper because it can deal pure Radiation damage, which does bonus damage to Eidolons. (For the record, i don't have a fully formad Lanka, and often do still take out the Synovias too quickly for others - you don't need utter perfection for the Teralyst)
Rubico and Vectis are also powerful and popular options. Rubico for the rapid-fire multi-clip magazine, Vectis for the pure power of each shot.

I have a dilemma where I WANT to use the Rubico, but the Lanka is performing better for me. :thinking:

Edited by DrakeWurrum

1 minute ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Opticor USED to be the meta for Eidolons.

But then I think they did something to the Synovia hitbox that made sniper rifles the clear-cut go-to weapon.

Lanka is the main sniper because it can deal pure Radiation damage, which does bonus damage to Eidolons. (For the record, i don't have a fully formad Lanka, and often do still take out the Synovias too quickly for others - you don't need utter perfection for the Teralyst)
Rubico and Vectis are also powerful and popular options. Rubico for the rapid-fire multi-clip magazine, Vectis for the pure power of each shot.

Heard theres the the vile reload meta where u lessen the clip size to 1 for increase reload speed + charged short for vectis, and personally its my preferred sniper rifle but i feel when using both vectis p and lanka, i feel so underwhelming i feel like dex pixia and artemis bow does way more damage... i feel like i went wrong somewhere....

1 minute ago, LYoshiiro said:

Heard theres the the vile reload meta where u lessen the clip size to 1 for increase reload speed + charged short for vectis, and personally its my preferred sniper rifle but i feel when using both vectis p and lanka, i feel so underwhelming i feel like dex pixia and artemis bow does way more damage... i feel like i went wrong somewhere....

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Depleted_Reload
That probably is a very popular Vectis build all around.

I sadly lack a single part for building a Vectis Prime, and I've been too anti-social to ask if anybody has the missing part they'd be willing to sale. Those damn rare drops.

Edited by DrakeWurrum

1 hour ago, (XB1)BKRS Veeco said:

Trinity has the most difficult job as a Warframe, if you're using rhino over chroma, you may not go into operator mode often. While the base of her role is simple, it's not fun trying to regain energy if a harrow fails or if you miss a covenant cast, as well as it can make a run to south quick if you lose that ability to heal your crowd.

I disagree, I don't understand why people usually say trins job is the hardest. Her job is simply
1. Get 7 lures before the teralyst entered the final phase ( and even if you only got like 5 or 6, you can get another at gantu healing phase ). you can also get 2 lures, park them to chroma, and get the other 5 lures ( so that you have more time )

2. Keep the lures and your teammate alive by pressing 4 ( wich shouldn't be hard with 175% efficiency and 150% strength )

3. And on higher level capture, use her VS to oneshot hydro's shield when harrow's VS is out

Chroma on the other hand, has a very demanding job. Why? because how fast he can fast charge the first lure and how fast he can destroy the limb will decide wether it will be 4x3 or 5x3. If your chroma needs like 2 minutes to charge the first lure and 6 seconds to destroy the limb, then it wont be a 5x3

This looks like an advanced guide, not a "newbie" guide. If you rush into Eidolons trying to do a 3x3, it is not going to fun for you or anyone else. I would recommend taking it slow, doing some public hunts until you get the hang of things, then going deep into the meta and strive for that elusive 6x3. Reading a guide on the mechanics of the fight will do wonders to the speed at which you catch on, but I see little need to fit into the advanced meta until you are going for advanced captures. There is no way you could read a guide and instantly know what's up, there is also the problem of needing to grind up an amp before even being able to hard grind the Eidolons.

Also a few points on the "mandatory frame" list.

1. If you are doing just Teralysts, literally no Warframe is mandatory. The Teralyst does not deal enough damage to destroy the lures and just a well modded Lanka with no damage boost can take down the limbs quickly.
  2. As for damage frames in general, as long as you are okay with only getting two Hydrolyst in a night you don't "need" a damage frame. One person with a Lanka can break the parts within a two-ish clips, which is pretty fast all things considered.
  3. And finally, I would say status-resistant effects on for the magnetic explosion is also more of a luxury than a necessity. It will take you an extra energy pad or two, but you will make it through.

Obviously the above are horrible tips for someone trying to maximize their Eidolon farm, but unlike most farms in the game you can't go from 0 to 100 in the blink of an eye. A "newbie" Eidolon guide is very different from a "veteran" Eidolon guide.

Edit: One tip you did miss though, even though it feels like common sense I have seen a few people mess it up recently. For a lure to work (for the capture or just holding the Eidolon in place) you need to have the lure be within around 50m of the Eidolon. If you have a lure and walk away you can quite easily screw up the entire fight accidentally, just pay attention.

Edited by DrBorris

1 hour ago, GunMan113 said:

I disagree, I don't understand why people usually say trins job is the hardest. Her job is simply
1. Get 7 lures before the teralyst entered the final phase ( and even if you only got like 5 or 6, you can get another at gantu healing phase ). you can also get 2 lures, park them to chroma, and get the other 5 lures ( so that you have more time )

2. Keep the lures and your teammate alive by pressing 4 ( wich shouldn't be hard with 175% efficiency and 150% strength )

3. And on higher level capture, use her VS to oneshot hydro's shield when harrow's VS is out

Chroma on the other hand, has a very demanding job. Why? because how fast he can fast charge the first lure and how fast he can destroy the limb will decide wether it will be 4x3 or 5x3. If your chroma needs like 2 minutes to charge the first lure and 6 seconds to destroy the limb, then it wont be a 5x3

Well if you actually read the post and not the first 4 words, you'd have seen I stated that was if you were running rhino over chroma, as well as I stated earlier that chroma is recommended for more advanced players, but thanks.

EDIT: And before you lay into running chroma over rhino check out the title, this is meant for newbie hunters, not advanced, and you're sitting here talking about Penta tricaps. I'm also sure you're gonna lay into how you probably never knew the struggle and picked up on it quick, but again the emphasis is for newbie players.

Thanks for focusing on the comment about Trinity and her job in my post, but not the fact that the main post states to bring a harrow, yet either run away or just eat the energy spike and lose all you energy, even though 9 out of 10 pug harrows will use covenant to resist the energy spike, yet they won't cast it for the 200% headshot crit when it comes to actually killing the eidolon.

Edited by (XB1)BKRS Veeco

37 minutes ago, wtflag said:

Nice guide. I'm just starting Eidolon hunting and it should help. 

Recommend finding a group to make regular runs with, clan members or friends if you have them, learn together progress together. Pick up groups for less experienced people don't go over all that well and people will either be MR checking, or leaving if expectations are not met, but if you practice these strategies together before relying on pug, you'll be able to get into the good groups later, rather than failing to capture any due to things like lack of communication and such.

EDIT: I only suggest this because I wasted a lot of time trying to find groups at first and had to bail out, managed to get into a couple experienced groups, paid attention and learned, checked out guides like these, built what I was missing to fill roles. You can save some time and have more success if you can get something consistent going.

When I started I didn't even have a built amp, just the starter one, and my tenno tree progression was non-existent, but I immediately worked towards powering a 223 amp (recommended by region chat at the time) and got void strike and health arcanes for my operator to make me more viable until I can progress through all my trees.

Edited by (XB1)BKRS Veeco

2 hours ago, DrBorris said:

This looks like an advanced guide, not a "newbie" guide. If you rush into Eidolons trying to do a 3x3, it is not going to fun for you or anyone else. I would recommend taking it slow, doing some public hunts until you get the hang of things, then going deep into the meta and strive for that elusive 6x3. Reading a guide on the mechanics of the fight will do wonders to the speed at which you catch on, but I see little need to fit into the advanced meta until you are going for advanced captures. There is no way you could read a guide and instantly know what's up, there is also the problem of needing to grind up an amp before even being able to hard grind the Eidolons.

For this to be a advanced multicap guide I'd have to include things like AMP builds and arcanes as well as specific frame builds and strats I think. The frames I suggested are really good at their jobs which is why meta groups look for them when recruiting. This guide is meant for newbies who go into public hunts not knowing what to do so they can prepare and not have to see their teammates leave at the sight of them.

Taking any frame into a Teralyst hunt is fine as long as they're modded with defensive mods to not be a liability and as long as you aren't using a Burston or Dera like every player who brings a non meta frame usually used.

1 hour ago, (XB1)BKRS Veeco said:

When I started I didn't even have a built amp, just the starter one, and my tenno tree progression was non-existent

Erm, mr19 here still running around with my trusty Mote and only a barely touched focus tree because farming Cetus xp and materials is a pain lol