Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Void Food For Thought

_FrostPrime_

So I was running some ducat fodder runs earlier and it kinda dawned on me... there's no Spy missions in the Void. That's nothing really but the question is.... WHY? The little tiny bits of Lore we do have suggest Orokin knowledge is mostly lost to everybody. So why aren't we doing any Spy runs in the Void? The entire point of said mission type is for the sole purpose of gathering intelligence. And guess what? It'd fit perfectly in the Void. The towers are already loaded up with some insane traps and other gizmos.

I'm aware the Void is "supposed to be destroyed" sooner-or-later. But it simply doesn't make sense why we never had Spy runs in there in the first place. Nobody can sit on their derriere and expect me to believe that EVERY SINGLE TOWER is wiped of any data we could mine to recover any lost Orokin wisdom. So again... why do we not have any Void Spies?

Just food for thought....

The question still remains though.... why?

The Tenno have forgotten what they knew. The triggers to give us a refresh from our ice brains might just be lying dormant in the Void.

Likely because the mode and maps needed just hasn't been put in yet.

But if we want to discuss headcanon lore around it:

Dig too deep and you wake things up. The Tenno are here to restore balance, to reign in the chaos of the universe, the problem is that as technology keeps progressing it becomes harder and harder to do so. The whole arms race of the matter makes it nigh-impossible, and as anyone gets new technology it pushes the others to try and up them.

Even the Tenno.

So, what happens when the Tenno - arguably the group that has the potential to be the most powerful - starts digging around in the ruins and secrets of the old Orokin Empire - the most powerful Empire the universe has ever known? The escalation continues on a spectrum simply unmatchable. Yes, the Tenno gain more power, but the Grineer and Corpus frantically strive to up them now.

Eventually the escalation reaches a point of no return and balance is all but a pipe dream.

To maintain the balance the Tenno need to rear things back, not contribute to pushing them forward. Hell, I'm of the mind that a big part of this "maintaining the balance" is making sure technology stays roughly at a low level where the Sentients can't just bulldozer over it, like they did in the past.

Likely because the mode and maps needed just hasn't been put in yet.

But if we want to discuss headcanon lore around it:

Dig too deep and you wake things up. The Tenno are here to restore balance, to reign in the chaos of the universe, the problem is that as technology keeps progressing it becomes harder and harder to do so. The whole arms race of the matter makes it nigh-impossible, and as anyone gets new technology it pushes the others to try and up them.

Even the Tenno.

So, what happens when the Tenno - arguably the group that has the potential to be the most powerful - starts digging around in the ruins and secrets of the old Orokin Empire - the most powerful Empire the universe has ever known? The escalation continues on a spectrum simply unmatchable. Yes, the Tenno gain more power, but the Grineer and Corpus frantically strive to up them now.

Eventually the escalation reaches a point of no return and balance is all but a pipe dream.

To maintain the balance the Tenno need to rear things back, not contribute to pushing them forward. Hell, I'm of the mind that a big part of this "maintaining the balance" is making sure technology stays roughly at a low level where the Sentients can't just bulldozer over it, like they did in the past.

I reckon it was the Tennos unnatural space magic that got the better of the Sentients in the end. That nonsense is just pure energy given shape and form. Take away the actual abilities in-game on a Warframe and think through a Lore Scope on their powers. Their abilities are almost incomprehensible to most. I mean... Frost super chills the air, Ember super heats the air just to produce the affect of their abilities. Excalibur can form objects of energy, Vauban has magical balls, Nekros makes the concept of Death a joke, etc.. etc...

With the Sentients coming back it might be wise to consider waking the sleeping dragons.

I reckon it was the Tennos unnatural space magic that got the better of the Sentients in the end. That nonsense is just pure energy given shape and form. Take away the actual abilities in-game on a Warframe and think through a Lore Scope on their powers. Their abilities are almost incomprehensible to most. I mean... Frost super chills the air, Ember super heats the air just to produce the affect of their abilities. Excalibur can form objects of energy, Vauban has magical balls, Nekros makes the concept of Death a joke, etc.. etc...

With the Sentients coming back it might be wise to consider waking the sleeping dragons.

Aye, but that was but a part of it. Remember, the Tenno use more than just their powers - and they were armed with more than them. As Excalibur's Codex said they were given the "weapons of the old ways, blade and gun". And the Orokin were apprehensive about sending the Tenno out in the first place - with the Grineer too, aye, but as you pointed out at least they could understand what made the Grineer tick. Even if the Tenno were the ultimate saviors, it stands to reason that in the earliest days of the Orokin's desperate moves in the war - which I do believe the Mag Prime codex to be describing - it stands to reason the Orokin would have taken no small chances with their survival.

Better safe than sorry.

So I was running some ducat fodder runs earlier and it kinda dawned on me... there's no Spy missions in the Void. That's nothing really but the question is.... WHY? The little tiny bits of Lore we do have suggest Orokin knowledge is mostly lost to everybody. So why aren't we doing any Spy runs in the Void? The entire point of said mission type is for the sole purpose of gathering intelligence. And guess what? It'd fit perfectly in the Void. The towers are already loaded up with some insane traps and other gizmos.

I'm aware the Void is "supposed to be destroyed" sooner-or-later. But it simply doesn't make sense why we never had Spy runs in there in the first place. Nobody can sit on their derriere and expect me to believe that EVERY SINGLE TOWER is wiped of any data we could mine to recover any lost Orokin wisdom. So again... why do we not have any Void Spies?

The short answer is because they haven't been made yet :)

We'd love to do void spy, but I think it's worth holding off until parkour 2.0 is more developed. I'd like to see void spy featuring more parkour oriented rooms with automated security measures.

Edited by Whirrrrr

WHY?

same  goes for void archwing missions. i was shocked when DE introduced the odonata prime that is acquirable in a "normal" space mission instead of the void.

i see no issues making a void archwing interception mission. DE doesn't even need to create any new assets, just a simple re-skinning of usual archwing enemies to make them look like "corrupted" and thats it.

Edited by NOSCOPE_xGET_GUDx_BLAZER

But the void is getting destroyed. 

The tileset is not going to disappear, obviously.

"Destroyed" probably refers to a set of events (maybe connected with the return of the Sentient) and Star Chart 3.0.

We'd love to do void spy, but I think it's worth holding off until parkour 2.0 is more developed. I'd like to see void spy featuring more parkour oriented rooms with automated security measures.

May I suggest you guys to work on STEALTH 2.0 meanwhile? :3

(After Parkour)

Frost prime, if we had spy missions in the void then maybe we wouldnt have lost you.

Maybe with little targets to shoot, too? Like our mastery test? It would give that particular training a nice tie-in with real mission examples.

With what was done with some of the treasure vaults I think it would be best to avoid using the "destroy data in soandso time when caught" method and more "excessive parkour death trap room." I mean 2 of the vaults currently already have a tendency to get people killed or slow them down enough to make them fail. It'd be just a slap in the face if the entirety of the mission was at stake to.

Aside from the fact that Void missions don't make any sense anyway - they should all have been different from the normal stuff - a Spy mission there makes even less sense.

The towers are not meant to be an operational facility. There is nothing "going on" there. Nothing is being researched, nothing being worked on, just old artifacts laying around, surrounded by the captured units of other factions that went there and failed.

If anything, the "Spy" missions should involve the Vaults and the "tricky Parkour" addons that can be found. The whole thing should be a kind of Portal map puzzle to get in and out of. But yea, hard to set up I guess.

Yeah, after seeing the last devstream, I would much rather have tilesets that are parkour 2.0 compatible.  I don't expect the entire game to be like this, because the old tilesets would go to waste, but I'm certain there will be ton more of types made with parkour 2.0 in mind.

The derelicts are no longer functional, but the void towers are supposed to be still functional, doing whatever the neural sentry was told to do as it tries to defend and protect the Orokin that no longer walk its halls. Theoretically, any facility that the neural sentry was given to keeping automated would still function; I was honestly expecting to have to recover use of Orokin automated foundry and research labs down the line. Probably will never happen though.

Aside from the fact that Void missions don't make any sense anyway - they should all have been different from the normal stuff - a Spy mission there makes even less sense.

The towers are not meant to be an operational facility. There is nothing "going on" there. Nothing is being researched, nothing being worked on, just old artifacts laying around, surrounded by the captured units of other factions that went there and failed.

If anything, the "Spy" missions should involve the Vaults and the "tricky Parkour" addons that can be found. The whole thing should be a kind of Portal map puzzle to get in and out of. But yea, hard to set up I guess.

It's still safe to assume there's still information to be gathered from these facilities. Just because they aren't in use anymore doesn't mean there's nothing in there, as is evident by the Prime parts we dig up.

• 2 weeks later...