Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

MR Filter For Public Games?

(PSN)chris1pat8twins

11 minutes ago, BoneBreakerx said:

if they arent enywhere near the objective or just standing in a corner doing nothing... and its not just low MR who does it... reportet 2 ppl MR15+ today

not being near around the objective is not really a good reason, they could be searching for kurias, mandachord songs, hunting a sanctuary target, and if really low level looting everything and searching for more loot.
Heck, several times i joined, directly from the navigation screen into the Plains to fish things during the night and would end up in a Eidolon Hunt Team.
am i forced to go and help them? Not at all
Do i go out of my way to help them if i see that their MR is low and they need help? yes

Standing in a corner doing nothing it's hard to judge, because if they stay that way too long they will get punished, not getting prizes or loot or affinity.
And people can have emergencies, like having to pickup the phone, or if kids having to do something their parents just ordered.
There;s also the thing that sometimes there's a really strong party member, like having saryn or ember or volt or(list continues..) which is simply killing everything by itself needing no help. Some players just decide to do nothing, that is until they need to do something or they would die

I mean it's a public random team, there's not exactly that much you can do about it
that is, besides asking for someone in your alliance/clan/friend list/recruit chat and make a premade team if you wish to "play seriously"

Edited by -.SP.-G43riel

21 hours ago, -.SP.-G43riel said:

not being near around the objective is not really a good reason, they could be searching for kurias, mandachord songs, hunting a sanctuary target, and if really low level looting everything and searching for more loot.
Heck, several times i joined, directly from the navigation screen into the Plains to fish things during the night and would end up in a Eidolon Hunt Team.
am i forced to go and help them? Not at all
Do i go out of my way to help them if i see that their MR is low and they need help? yes

Standing in a corner doing nothing it's hard to judge, because if they stay that way too long they will get punished, not getting prizes or loot or affinity.
And people can have emergencies, like having to pickup the phone, or if kids having to do something their parents just ordered.
There;s also the thing that sometimes there's a really strong party member, like having saryn or ember or volt or(list continues..) which is simply killing everything by itself needing no help. Some players just decide to do nothing, that is until they need to do something or they would die

I mean it's a public random team, there's not exactly that much you can do about it
that is, besides asking for someone in your alliance/clan/friend list/recruit chat and make a premade team if you wish to "play seriously"

well your first point i might not have made myself clear... by opjectives i mean participating in whatever mission your on... like fishing in a operation plague star event and only showing up at the boil when the last hemocyte is dead to loot...

by standing in a corner i mean standing somewhere where the mobs cant reach u... i once had someone on a interception staying in the spawn room... jumping around ocacionally to avoid the afk penalty...

On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎24 at 7:40 AM, BoneBreakerx said:

... and more time spend playing equels more skill... its called learning...

One would hope so. However, it's not necessarily so. 

All MR means is that you leveled some stuff up. Possibly all the stuff, but all it means is you got it to 30. How you got it to 30 isn't addressed. 

If your max MR player spent all or the vast majority of his time leveling his stuff in Hydron, all he's learned is to pick Hydron on the map and stand on the objective while more active players carry him along. That's a worst case scenario, but we've all seen this sort of behavior. It's not uncommon. Best case, he's good at Hydron, but has little experience doing anything outside of it. 

If all you're learned is how to leech or press a button or two on DPS 'frames, then any scenario needing some other tactic will be problematic. That's just one problem with relying on MR as a metric of player skill. It only means one thing, so you can't draw any conclusion from it other than someone has leveled a certain amount of stuff up. 

On 2018-09-25 at 2:36 PM, Sloan441 said:

One would hope so. However, it's not necessarily so. 

All MR means is that you leveled some stuff up. Possibly all the stuff, but all it means is you got it to 30. How you got it to 30 isn't addressed. 

If your max MR player spent all or the vast majority of his time leveling his stuff in Hydron, all he's learned is to pick Hydron on the map and stand on the objective while more active players carry him along. That's a worst case scenario, but we've all seen this sort of behavior. It's not uncommon. Best case, he's good at Hydron, but has little experience doing anything outside of it. 

If all you're learned is how to leech or press a button or two on DPS 'frames, then any scenario needing some other tactic will be problematic. That's just one problem with relying on MR as a metric of player skill. It only means one thing, so you can't draw any conclusion from it other than someone has leveled a certain amount of stuff up. 

true and i totally agree... but unfortunatly its the only thing we got...

I've done quite a few public Teralyst capture sessions recently, and I can verify, MR is a very unreliable metric for determining who's going to be useful. Scanning their loadouts at the beginning of the session is only marginally better, anyone can look up a meta build and try to copy it, but if actual experience is lacking.... And there really is only one way for them to get that experience. 

If we want to play those public matches, then we have to accept the mix of players who come with it. You want a more refined squad? Recruiting is your best option. 

On 2018-09-24 at 1:55 AM, Fallen_Echo said:

You do know that mastery rank means absolutely nothing right?

Anybody can reach the max mr by getting taxied to hydron and afk leech with boosters on various unmodded weapons, its not an indication of skill or knowledge but more like indication of completionism.

It's a good enough indicator of general game knowledge. Most experienced low MR usually stay at 13-16 anyway so a possible cutoff could be made in that zone.

1 hour ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

I've done quite a few public Teralyst capture sessions recently, and I can verify, MR is a very unreliable metric for determining who's going to be useful. Scanning their loadouts at the beginning of the session is only marginally better, anyone can look up a meta build and try to copy it, but if actual experience is lacking.... And there really is only one way for them to get that experience. 

If we want to play those public matches, then we have to accept the mix of players who come with it. You want a more refined squad? Recruiting is your best option. 

yesterday teralist capture pub.

Squadmates were mr3, mr2 and a mastery rank zero, a Z E R O! with a mk1 braton!

I still ran the mission for lols.

The mr 3 and mr 2 tried shooting as they had no operator and the mr ZERO? why that tenno jumps up on mr terrys head and goes to town with a skanna.....lol lol lol lol

After the seventh revive i just let them all die.

So yes we do need an mr lock on terry hunts to at least mr 8 and tridolons at mr 10.

2 minutes ago, dreadgame said:

It's a good enough indicator of general game knowledge. Most experienced low MR usually stay at 13-16 anyway so a possible cutoff could be made in that zone.

And I was in a Teralyst capture today with MR 13-16 players who clearly weren't pulling their weight because I was dealing far more damage and I only really started doing them last week. They were trying, but not doing much. 

I'm around the same, MR 16 and quite a few of them were rocking the meta combinations sometimes with the same Rhino prime and Lanka that I was using. So wherein lies the difference? As far as I can tell it only in the fact that I've been intensively farming the Teralyst every chance I got. 

I've gotten noticeably better at finding lures, blasting shields while trying not to be stepped on, busting synovia, and getting back to the gate. I'm not the best, and I continue to learn more in each session. I'm not going to rag on lower MR players or even higher ones who just aren't so great yet. If they hang in there and just try to keep up, they will learn. If they ask questions they will learn faster.

If we exclude inexperienced players, they won't learn. 

3 hours ago, (PS4)aiptekfanboy said:

yesterday teralist capture pub.

Squadmates were mr3, mr2 and a mastery rank zero, a Z E R O! with a mk1 braton!

I still ran the mission for lols.

The mr 3 and mr 2 tried shooting as they had no operator and the mr ZERO? why that tenno jumps up on mr terrys head and goes to town with a skanna.....lol lol lol lol

After the seventh revive i just let them all die.

So yes we do need an mr lock on terry hunts to at least mr 8 and tridolons at mr 10.

(fixed it from the above post as it is a reply to one of mine) 

I disagree. They got access because it's on the starter planet. They will rapidly realise that they aren't in the starter zone any more and just avoid that fight. That's happened to a lot of us. If you had said "hey guys this is a high level fight you'll get killed" it would have driven the point home faster. 

On 2018-09-23 at 4:49 PM, Hypodermique said:

How about recruit chat. 

sad but true. as much as i hate using this chat, it's the only sure way to get a part together on might want. filtering would only crete more problems than it would solve. but maybe DE should analyze the MR-requirements for some missions. e.g. not letting mr1 player try their luck on the plaguestar even where usually the rest (if higher ranks) use the hard-version for the boss fight. i had countles occasions where one (sometimes even two - when 3, i would just leave myself ^^) player with very low, one-digit mr-rank joint the "fun" and couldn't say on the legs for longer than the invulnerability phase after reviving last... so usually, the rest of the team let them die after a few of those revive/insta-down dramas. sure as hell, the newbies weren't pleased at all about this, but the mission comes first and this ain't no kinderkarten playground that the rest of the team has to watch over - usually, i warn those newbies when they come in (and yes, even nice and with all the "whys" about my warning)... if i even get any respond to this, it's usually rude and/or ignorant. i sure hope the next open area won't be accessible to low ranker like the plains are - for all of our sanity (newbs and vets and what's between them).