The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's Talk: Content Drought - What DE can learn from this

MartianGHunter

39 minutes ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

You know what even though counting Zaws/Amps is beyond silly, im fine with it, technically they are new weapons.

But Umbra?.....You know what, sure, even though its exactly the same Excalibur except with a AI passive and an animation change... alright lets consider it a new Warframe.

Still short compared to a Year where they were just getting bought up by LeYou, barely put out any advertisements and had a smaller community.

Now look at the updates you listed and look at the one i did and see which one had bigger impact and were just flat out more content wise.

"Social hub" You mean relays, we had those before. and putting UI rework and Exalted weapons as content is just laughable in my opinion.

Before you edited your post you said something about faster updates means pushing out low quality content and i just gotta ask, Are ESO and Khora and Mask of the Revenant high quality content in your eyes?

31 minutes ago, Midrib said:

You know what even though counting Zaws/Amps is beyond silly, im fine with it, technically they are new weapons.

But Umbra?.....You know what, sure, even though its exactly the same Excalibur except with a AI passive and an animation change... alright lets consider it a new Warframe.

Still short compared to a Year where they were just getting bought up by LeYou, barely put out any advertisements and had a smaller community.

Now look at the updates you listed and look at the one i did and see which one had bigger impact and were just flat out more content wise.

"Social hub" You mean relays, we had those before. and putting UI rework and Exalted weapons as content is just laughable in my opinion.

Before you edited your post you said something about faster updates means pushing out low quality content and i just gotta ask, Are ESO and Khora and Mask of the Revenant high quality content in your eyes?

We got plains of Eidolon which was huge update, and laid the foundation for system wide open world maps. I see both as equal in impact, SD and TWW were great, gave us much needed reason to believe in the games actual concept and story. Riven's I see as the worst thing ever in the entire game, worse than when my operator tells me that my warframe is powerful. 
Edit: Social hub(cetus) connects directly to the game and offers a lot, that the relays don't/can't(due to logic)

Khora is amazing as a warframe, absolute melee tank (high str, low range, high hp, high armor build) I'd give her and her design 10/10 for quality, only spoil for her is everyone on ps4 using her noodledome as cc.

ESO is good at what it does, sadly for me, that means it bores the crap out of me. ( i do know a lot of people farm the hell out of it though)

I didn't mind the Mask of the Rev, his mission was very short, uneventful, he is cool AF though, 5/10 for quality. I don't see the silver grove, glast gambit or sands of inaros being any better though. Only 2 WF missions that are actually good Harrow and octavia.

That being said Sacrifice was my fav out the 3 missions, all were good, but all way too short. The rest of the content there was appreciated wasn't really stand out for me other than the starchart (which has an orange sun..annoys the crap out of me, sun is not orange). 

I'd say updates (18 through 23) have been great overall. I'm happy with the amount we have had, and this year will be no different, other than it will end even better and lead us towards railjack.

I will stick to my opinion that this so called content drought is fake news. 

Edited by (PS4)covan2306

1 hour ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

Updates 18 and 19 within 12 month period of dec-dec
So i'll counter your 2016 with updates 22 and 23  ranges from Oct 12th 2017 - Oct. 

Plains of Eidolon: warframe + mini quest, weapons, open world map, social hub, new enemies, mining, fishing, vehicle, focus rework, 3x Eidolons boss fights

dojo rework

ui rework

Beasts of sanctuary, New game mode, warframe, weapons

the Sacrifice, new warframe, weapons, mainline story quest

exalted weapons 

frame fighter!!!

Mask of the Revenant - new quest, warframe, weapon

Project Pyrus.

By my count that is:

35 weapons and 4 warframes not including primes. 

Reveal hidden contents
  1. Plague Keewar (mines named KEEEEEEEEEEEWA)
  2. Plague Kripath (Lt. Dan's Leg)
  3. Balla (Skana Prime)
  4. Cyath
  5. Dehtat
  6. Dokrahm
  7. Kronsh (Clubby McClubface)
  8. Mewan (censored lol)
  9. OOLTHA
  10. Rabvee
  11. Sepfahn
  12. Granmu prism
  13. Rahn Prism
  14. Raplak prism
  15. Shwaak prism
  16. Mote amp
  17. Astilla
  18. Fusilai
  19. Volnus
  20. Argonak
  21. baza
  22. Corinth
  23. Phantasma
  24. Quartakk
  25. Veldt
  26. Hysterix
  27. Prisma twin gremlins
  28. stubba
  29. Zylok
  30. Cassowar
  31. dual keres
  32. Gunsen
  33. krohkur
  34. skiajati
  35. twin krohkur

We have been spoiled by DE for the past couple of years, lets not act like spoiled little brats, and just chillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll out.

"A game releases 36 new weapons in a year where they were just barely picking up speed, and now that they are somewhat successful they release....5 new weapons and 1 new Warframe in a span of 10 months. But yeah Lack of content is fake news, right?"

Fake news is exactly right

thank you for this, and it can probably be embellished even more. iMO, this past year rivals any other for content and quality fo content to any other year of warframe. i really dont get what the drought thing is about. The only thing we dont really get as often is weapons, and that's somewhat understandable because the game is at a different place now. It would be hard to get excited about yet another weapon variant if it doesnt offer something new.

8 hours ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

2018 so far:

• Multiple Tennogen
  • Multiple Deluxe skins
  • Multiple warframe reworks
  • Dojo content
  • Shrines of Eidolon (2 new bosses, riven trans etc)
  • Zephyr Prime (new warfame and weapons)
  • Beasts of Sanctuary (New warframe, game mode, new weapons, new mods)
  • The Sacrifice (new quest, warframe, weapons, mods, UI overhaul + more)
  • Limbo Prime (New warframe and weapons)
  • Revenant (new quest, warframe and weapon)
  • Pyrus Project (new weapon)
  • Chroma prime (new warframe and weapons) 

Update 22 listed (WF wiki link)

Update 23 listed (WF wiki link)

Not even got the biggest and best update of the year yet. go check for yourselves

Lack of content or content drought is fake news..  Especially if youtubers are pushing it, attention seekers trying to stay relevant.. 

Calm before the storm, nothing more.

This is the calm before the storm kids, just calm it down

God now you've said it all. I see a lot of content, still. And most of it is the much requested rebalance of the game, instead of the hated bandaids. What drought?

That's why I dislike partners like Rio or Mogamu. They take themselves too seriously, to the point they think they can tell DE what to do, and help generate and fuel hate in the game if it doesn't go the way they want it to.

3 hours ago, peterc3 said:

The Pyrus Project could be completed by "new players" in an hour, despite the struts taking 3 hours to make and you need 5 of them.

If waiting is content for you....well

3 hours ago, peterc3 said:

Ding ding ding. This is the key to all of this. List out all the stuff released since <arbitrary point> and then just hand wave away the stuff you don't like or remember as "not real content" and then you can say this game has been in a content drought since it was in closed beta.

Content Patches since PoE

-Shrine of the Eidolon

- Beasts of the Sanctuary

- The Sacrifice

- Mas of the Revenant

Edited by Kyoresh

Its not that DE is not working, but there is a struggle when you have reached a certain point in warframe to keep interest. They add content but dont flesh it out and just move on to the next thing.
1. Onslaught should have better rewards, I even suggested boss battles at high zones in ESO weekly not exactly specifying the bosses weakness or the zone they would be at,  giving rewards on completion. People top scoring on the weekly ESO score board should get rewards.
2. Sorties Rewards system is long over due for revision.
3. Kuva fortress is a complete waste outside of just recently with survival, more missions on those kuva fortress tileset should reward kuva.
4. Trials should definitely return eventually, revised of course. Adding or replacing them 2-4 times a year. Restricting it to only players with highest possible mastery rank.
5. Destiny 2 Gambit mode can be easily replicated for Warframe

Just from observation,  modes become dead in the water solely because the rewards are not rewarding.
Endgame Rewards in modes can be but not limited to, Primed mods, Arcanes, U-forma (for umbra polarity), vaulted Weapons/ Frames (might be parts), legendary cores.
Such rewards can be implemented in weekly ESO top scores, defeating weekly hidden ESO onslaught bosses and Trials, RNG will be involved of course so everyone's weekly reward may not be the same and for rewards you may not need can be sold in trade chat or given for ducats.

My thinking is that ESO is the bridge or slow grind used for players who want to get vaulted weapons to max there mastery rank making them eligible for end game content.
End game content can give rewards like rare Arcanes, U-Forma, rarer primed mods and legendary cores.

Of course people can just buy stuff with money if they want, that has always been warframe but I know lots of friends who just love to take there time and grind. People completely ignore Top mastery ranks and getting other weapons to reach this goal simply because there is no reason to. Tell me what you guys think.

4 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

It's what you get to do right now though so...

...its still no content lol 😄

I guess you can content yourself with the knowledge that the drought will end eventually, huh?

well ye, I know and I have high hopes that will manage their releases and maybe release the content in smaller parts instead of just dumping everything at once 😄

Edited by Kyoresh

28 minutes ago, Kyoresh said:

...its still no content lol 😄

well ye, I know and I have high hopes that will manage their releases and maybe release the content in smaller parts instead of just dumping everything at once 😄

No, you just still aren't content with their release schedule.

This release pattern isn't too much different from most other years in WF imo... Lot more fixes and adjustments and a couple fewer tac alerts and events this year is all.

...Otherwise, it's pretty normal.

different from most other years in WF imo... Lot more fixes and adjustments and a couple fewer tac alerts and events this year is all.

well it is slower. maybe in your opinion its not, but in reality it is

It's actually kind of interesting watching the schism with people both blaming Fortuna for the content drought and the fact that Fortuna is literally the exact kind of content they are craving. Judging by the fact that they so readily ignore all the content released between PoE and now. 

Not saying that the content releases we've gotten couldn't be more consistent cause they certainly could be.  

Okay so this is just a food for thought, since there is said to be some "content drought" in the game thus far, how about implementing more side missions that can be done, like in an MMO you'll have this random NPC give you a quest to go, rescue his friend or kill this monster, maybe you can do that in warframe? Maybe something like the "Help Clem" thing, but more meaningful, that gives more insight of the different races in the Warframe universe, reference future lore, give background on Syndicates.

Warframe has always been seen as an MMO as well as a fast paced shooter, and that gives the game its beauty as being a hybrid of the two, but in recent times its been feeling more shooter than MMO, sure we have the many quests but comparing to an actual MMO which has so many more quests, which also grant insight to that specific location, or the MMO world in general. We have the Grind of an MMO for better equipment, but it sometimes feels that it is all we have of the MMO element. Customization? there are many other non-MMO games that let you do great character customization as well, like Saints Row, Soul Calibur, hell even WWE. 

I feel like im getting off topic here, but what i am trying to say is that we need something else, i understand your team may be small as compared to other companies, but it may help keep players occupied until the large releases like Major Story Missions or new large-scale maps. It does not even have to be much, you can literally make the rewards for the quests be a source for resources that players will always grind for, like Kuva, Endo, Credits (okay maybe not Credits since we have Index) to make it worth their time, and not some horribly small amount of each either, make it like 1k endo, 1k Kuva or something, that people will actually want, no one in their right minds will do a full side mission for 80 endo (im looking at you endless missions) hell even throw in a ranked mod, say a max ranked Pressure Point or another Rank 5 mod that would be fairly decent for a reward. You can even have a weekly Syndicate side-mission that would throw the player against enemies from an opposing faction, we already have AI programming and Models for each syndicate faction, do something with them, make us fight another syndicate in a mission, and please not like some small level 20 enemies, make them somewhat of a challenge, like level 60-80 with modifiers for some survivability (or prevent people from just bringing ember and pressing 4) 

Imagine this, (related to above) you go on a syndicate mission and have to fight against the opposing syndicate forces as well as invading allied syndicates, who send their eximus units to aid their partners (people who have New Loka as their enemies would not like this cause of all the ancient healer eximus units but still) it'll make the fight more fun and challenging, and you can still use the normal Defense, Capture, Sabotage, etc. game modes on it.

For more lore story, you can just give bits and pieces of what the different factions have done to the NPC you are talking to, example:

"Tenno please, the Grineer have taken over my home, they've ravaged our supplies and taken our people for Tyl Regor's horrific gene experiments, please! save our town and our people!" - Mission type: Exterminate: Uranus 

Something like that, and it will catapult you into the mission of 3 stages, exterminate, rescue and sabotage and at the 3rd you get your reward, its like a bounty i know, but its shorter and the reward will be fixed, no RNG to pick anything, you see the reward and you get it.

In doing this, it also gives the Relays more purpose than just for syndicates and chatting, you have been doing a good job giving the NPCs in relays voices with the relay reconstruction update.

So yeah, just a food for thought, this probably isnt gonna be seen anyways but i just needed a place to vent this lol

25 minutes ago, Kyoresh said:

What was the last update of Fortuna's size? Even with people listing all of the "content" and "not content", the closest thing I see is PoE, which is still smaller, and thus quicker to make.

16 minutes ago, CoolDudeMcCool said:

What was the last update of Fortuna's size? Even with people listing all of the "content" and "not content", the closest thing I see is PoE, which is still smaller, and thus quicker to make.

yes and thats the problem. they focused too much on fortuna and to little on the rest of the game.

And how do you know PoE is smaller(content wise) than Fortuna?

Just now, Kyoresh said:

yes and thats the problem. they focused too much on fortuna and to little on the rest of the game.

And how do you know PoE is smaller(content wise) than Fortuna?

They've already confirmed that Fortuna is larger, as in literally bigger, than PoE. I don't think it's crazy to assume that means there will be more to do relative to PoE, not to mention the stuff that's entirely new to Fortuna.

Just now, CoolDudeMcCool said:

They've already confirmed that Fortuna is larger, as in literally bigger, than PoE. I don't think it's crazy to assume that means there will be more to do relative to PoE, not to mention the stuff that's entirely new to Fortuna.

the only thing we know that is something completly new are the K-Drive.

Kitguns and Moas are basically Zaw 2.0

Bounties are the same but better

and the Giant Spider looks like Eidolon 2.0

7 hours ago, Padre_Akais said:

That puts your "content drought" at roughly 3 weeks and counting...Ask yourself how that actually defines a drought especially as it relates to DE and Warframe. 

If you are in a desert and there is a small drizzle does that mean the drought is over?

DE acknowledged the content drought and even asked the community on one of the devstreams on what do we want, to go back to the old way of regularly releasing new content in smaller packages or to continue the current trend of one major update a year. Now it's up to DE to decide. The old way kept the vets playing while the new way brings new players.

Also worth mentioning is that with major content also comes a massive grind (like PoE), and that also might enrage/burn out the players, while spreading the grind trough longer periods of time...

In the end it's up to DE. I will complain if there will be future droughts because i love this game and i want reasons to continue to sink even more hours into it, but even if they continue the current trend than i'll continue coming back to the game with minor breaks. There are other games we can play.

However the best option would be to eat the cake and keep it too, the combination, minor updates trough the year and one massive one at the end, that would be awesome XD... DE expand 🙂

Il y a 8 heures, GinKenshin a dit :

I'm sorry but was that suppose to be a smartass comment? there's absolutely no relation between these two, and I'm pretty sure DE isn't dump enough to reach that point, any progress is better than just standing in the same spot 

Also, give me a statement from someone who worked there that says exactly that....if you're gonna act smart, at least back it up

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17130056/telltale-games-developer-layoffs-toxic-video-game-industry

20 seconds search. 

IMHO a content drought is a logical outcome of of stagnated growth re: DE personnel/new hires + 3 (almost 4) platforms that have content disparity.

I speculate that Leyou has directly or indirectly put pressure on DE's leadership team to produce re$ult$ (which is great for the organization's financial health) without adding more costs to the company's balance sheet.

I think this means that even if DE spent some time, money, and effort to expedite Warframe's updates/content across 4 platforms by growing the workforce and streamlining their process (which, I would argue is a move that might illicit greater revenue gains and grow the playerbase predictably for the long term) it would take some convincing to sway the primary shareholders without the short-term monetary gains everyone seems used to.

DE needs to plan for the long haul, not in terms of content, but in terms of IP stability and growth through the next generation of console lifecycles at least.

Devstreams, blogs, and DE employee social media just doesn't show much strategizing beyond the content for the next 6 to 12 months.

18 minutes ago, PakkiTheDog said:

If you are in a desert and there is a small drizzle does that mean the drought is over?

If you are in a desert...You aren't experiencing a drought.

19 minutes ago, PakkiTheDog said:

DE acknowledged the content drought and even asked the community on one of the devstreams on what do we want, to go back to the old way of regularly releasing new content in smaller packages or to continue the current trend of one major update a year. Now it's up to DE to decide. The old way kept the vets playing while the new way brings new players.

DE has apologized for content slowdowns numerous times over the years...That doesn't make this time special Bud.

..It just means someone whined especially loudly.

20 minutes ago, PakkiTheDog said:

Also worth mentioning is that with major content also comes a massive grind (like PoE), and that also might enrage/burn out the players, while spreading the grind trough longer periods of time...

Welcome to Warframe?

20 minutes ago, PakkiTheDog said:

In the end it's up to DE. I will complain if there will be future droughts because i love this game and i want reasons to continue to sink even more hours into it, but even if they continue the current trend than i'll continue coming back to the game with minor breaks. There are other games we can play.

However the best option would be to eat the cake and keep it too, the combination, minor updates trough the year and one massive one at the end, that would be awesome XD... DE expand 🙂

If you want to have your cake and eat it too...You need to be prepared to pay for two cakes.

Are you prepared to pay for that?

1 hour ago, Kyoresh said:

The you can, in reality, support your statement with proofs then can't you?

...Because short of cosmetics, weapon releases, and a couple of Tactical Alerts and Events there isn't much to distinguish this years release cycle from that of most other years.

Oh, and players asked for items to be released less and bugs to be addressed more...Players also complained about the Tactical Alerts and Events too.    

1 minute ago, Padre_Akais said:

If you are in a desert...You aren't experiencing a drought.

It's a metaphor, not being taken literally. I meant that if in a long period of time we get a handful of hours of content that doesn't make the content drought end.

2 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

DE has apologized for content slowdowns numerous times over the years...That doesn't make this time special Bud.

..It just means someone whined especially loudly.

Welcome to Warframe?

Never to this extend, the'v acknowledged this year being especially lacking of content, and if you read my whole post, not only parts you liked you'd see an example, so don't be stubborn. 

5 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

If you want to have your cake and eat it too...You need to be prepared to pay for two cakes.

Are you prepared to pay for that?

It was a joke, loosen up a bit m8.