Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Consoles "certification" processess

(PSN)xtharbadx

Question

While reading other threads on the forum about the usual stuff related to why consoles are always behind on the patch level / game version, I went to search for more info and found this article particularly interesting, as it goes into plenty of detail about how Sony and Microsoft operate.

Thought I would share in case others might be curious about this as well:

https://community.gemsofwar.com/t/inside-look-at-the-certification-process/28759

A few things were interesting to learn, like for example that there is something on the PS4 called Rapid Patching, which allows devs to push fixes within hours:

"Our focus right now is to get through the PS4 Europe Day 1 patch so that we can unlock Rapid Patching, at which point we will be able to ensure both PS4 versions are as up to date as the Steam build"

"can then use the Rapid Patching system which allows us to update the game within a few hours"

I'm not sure how this company compares with DE, but I wonder why they are going to sync versions and DE "can't". I'm sure there are good reasons, but after reading this article, it seems to me that the reasons most people point out here on the forums ( such as "it takes too long" or "it costs a lot of money" ) aren't exactly what's going on.

P.S. I don't mean this as a rant nor a critique towards DE, was just curious why the differences.

Edited by (PS4)xtharbadx

9 answers to this question

From my understanding, it had more to do with the actual builds of the game (being essentially three different builds). DE has mentioned trying to redesign the base code to get things more in sync (hence us getting an updated UI). I don't have the links/threads, but I'm sure a search would yield something. DE's "can't" is because it would require a FULL overhaul to all the code, if it's even possible. Some games just wouldn't be possible, Warframe may be one of them...

My guess is that DE doesn't have the manpower and resources for such releases.

Most of games like that are already pre-tested and clear of bugs that would affect consoles badly and normally those updates tend to be released a bit later unlike WF which release on PC as soon as it's in stable form without any major bugs.Since consoles require the build to be much cleaner DE takes the time since PC release to fix and patch any bugs and works on a build thats suitable for consoles from it.

Thanks for sharing the link.

I always wish DE would share their experience with console certs as well.  For example, some console updates get certified overnight while others take a week+.  If we could have more insights along the way, it'd be nice.  Otherwise as users, we just wait without knowing what's happening until DE says it is ready.

From the article:

"If it passes, you can then use the Rapid Patching system which allows us to update the game within a few hours, provided we don’t do anything that would require a new certification pass."

Which means there is a list of changes that simply require a certification pass.  So, it's not necessarily "Sign up and you can patch anything you feel like".

I also have to wonder if Microsoft has something to do with it.  I wouldn't put it past them having a contractual requirement that XBox builds are not held behind PS builds.

3 minutes ago, trst said:

I'd assume the catch here is what the price is, which I don't see mentioned in that post.

Companies already need to pay a fee to push an update or patch out and I'd imagine that a system like this would cost considerably more.

1 minute ago, (PS4)reddragonhrcro said:

My guess is that DE doesn't have the manpower and resources for such releases.

Which is why I mentioned not knowing how this company on that post compares to DE.

But they look fairly small .. https://hinterlandgames.com/about-hinterland

I have a feeling that DE is a way bigger studio than these guys ( could be totally off thou, just a feeling )

3 minutes ago, Phatose said:

I also have to wonder if Microsoft has something to do with it.  I wouldn't put it past them having a contractual requirement that XBox builds are not held behind PS builds.

Not entirely true. I forget which one but PS4 got one of the cinematic quests before the box did (I wanna say TSD). 

7 minutes ago, (PS4)xtharbadx said:

Which is why I mentioned not knowing how this company on that post compares to DE.

But they look fairly small .. https://hinterlandgames.com/about-hinterland

I have a feeling that DE is a way bigger studio than these guys ( could be totally off thou, just a feeling )

What matters more is if DE would be willing to pay that fee in the first place even if they could afford it.

There isn't really any benefit to them spending more to sync updates anyways though. Warframe is (or was) capable of cross-play but was never utilized because of certifications (might not even be possible anymore because of the account migrations) so the only benefit would just be synced updates.

And sure consoles wouldn't need to wait for updates with this but if they can get them with (ideally) fewer release bugs and potentially other beneficial changes that PC didn't initially get in addition to DE saving money and dev time only at the cost of needing to wait a while I'd say it's worth it. But then again I don't play on console so I can't really say from a player's perspective if it feels worth it.

yeah, hard to comment when you don't know the cost involved.... it's soooo frustrating as a console player to watch you guys loving Fortuna while we twiddle our thumbs and avoid our favorite Warframe youtubers if we don't want spoilers....that said, Sony in particular doesn't make it easy and I'm sure there'd be a massive additional cost to trying to roll out a major update across 3 platforms simultaneously so I'll trust DE on this one, that there's a reason we have to wait for the PC master race every time....