Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

1 Week in the game, reached "Stolen dreams" quest, almost out ...

Melirion

Hello,

I started the game around 2-3 weeks ago.

After around 1 week I reached the "Stolen dreams" quest where you need to retrieve 3 sets of data.

I'm not good at those missions, so after several tries, I started discussing on the regional chat channel. I was very very very ... very ... close to stopping the game when someone offered to help. He literally did the quest for me. This unlocked me and I continued the game.

Prior to that, I, of course, had other spy missions, but where you only need one data (not the 3) and other people where there and could do the mission, so I could progress without any issue.

Later on, I reached a particular node, I do not remember the name and the planet, and had an issue as nobody was doing this particular node. I was systematically alone. This particular node is not mandatory so it was not big issue for me. Yet the same guy helped me again, so for the sake of completeness I was happy.

And now I reached the 1st node on Jupiter which is a required rescue mission (not a spy mission but the gameplay is very similar). If you do not complete this node you can't progress further.

I tried twice being solo, then the 3rd time someone was there and we could do it (for the little story he ran to the the exit, letting the ostage die. Thankfully I noticed it, revived the ostage and the guy asked me why I was so slow ... yeah ...).

To backtrack and disgress a bit, when I reached the Stolen dream quest, I searched the net for advice of course. One recurring advice was to use a furtive Warframe like Loki or Ivara. Well, at this point in game there is no way to get a frame like Loki or Ivara without actually paying. So, if a particular frame is required at a particular point in game, this makes the game a pay to win (not talking about paying to get things faster, but having to pay to simply progress). Plus, as you may have understood, I particularly dislike this kind of gameplay and considering the very limited resource we get, I will not use them for something I do not like.

As a conclusion:

While I can understand some people like this gameplay and those missions, this is not the case for everybody and I strongly advise DE to go back on the drawing board. I wouldn't be surprised that some people stopped the game when reaching "Stolen Dreams" without even searching further as I did. Do not forget the silent majority. And a little search on the net shows that I'm not the only to complain on that.

It is enough to notice that those nodes are quite empty while you are never alone on most other nodes.

In my case, those missions, especially the mandatory ones, make the balance heavily tilt on the "non-fun" side.

As an analogy, for those who know, I stopped Path of Exile because of the Labyrinth. It is a quite similar situation: a particular gameplay, that some people enjoy, but not everybody, and that they made mandatory. Needless to say I did not spend any money in this game.

Melirion

Edited by Melirion

Having certain frames to complete spy/rescue missions is never a mandatory thing, I'm afraid you got things wrong here

All spy missions have at least 2 ways you can finish them with any frame, the hard part is actually finding these ways, it's not really your fault for not doing well, you don't have much experience with them yet. I suggest you look for a spy mission guide on Youtube or to just do a low level spy mission and try out different possible ways you can get it. Practicing is all you really need. Stealthy frames just make the missions faster and easier, they're not needed 

As above has said. You need to practice. The game isn't meant to be powered through. Rushing it for the sake of ???? is silly. 

Take your time, understand the mechanics of the game as you go. Open all the nodes on each planet so you can familiarize yourself with the maps, missions, and enemies. 

As stated, no specific frame is required for anything in the game. Sure there are meta picks, but isn't that all games? 

Regardless of what you're finding the most issue with there are tons of ways to solve this: 

- What are you mods like?

- Do you understand your frame?

- What weapons are you using?

- Are you using your movement to help you avoid getting beaten to death?

- For spy specifically: Are you avoiding detection from the lazers and sentries?

- Are you killing enemies or just running past them? (Important for solo if you haven't done anything with modding as tons of enemies will just eat you alive)

That's just a few examples. So take a breath, head to the wikia and research. Don't like reading? Youtube has your back! There are TONS of Warframe videos on just about every aspect of the game. 

The 'mandatory' quests are the games way of testing your skills and knowledge of the game. If you're failing, you lack what it's testing you on. 

Hope this helps, Tenno! Don't give up!

Edited by Zyneris

So you encounter something you can't do 1st try, and instead of honing your skills this surfaces... Welp, can't please all. Adapt or be removed from the pool. Do you do that everytime you reach a hard stage of any game? Or should we all play Little Big World only?

Edited by (PS4)Pauloluisx

Thanks for all the answers and advices, which actually I already read elsewhere 🙂

Anyway, this shows one thing, this game is not for me, I'm too old to try to break walls that are in the way of my enjoyment, if I'm not obliged to.

Well, as I made the node on Jupiter, I can now progress, but I bet that reaching the Second Dream quest will ring the bell of the end of my Tenno adbventures, that is, if there isn't another such mandatory node before. Unless DE eases thing a bit in the meantime.

9 hours ago, Melirion said:

Thanks for all the answers and advices, which actually I already read elsewhere 🙂

Anyway, this shows one thing, this game is not for me, I'm too old to try to break walls that are in the way of my enjoyment, if I'm not obliged to.

Well, as I made the node on Jupiter, I can now progress, but I bet that reaching the Second Dream quest will ring the bell of the end of my Tenno adbventures, that is, if there isn't another such mandatory node before. Unless DE eases thing a bit in the meantime.

That's actually very mature of you, and I agree. Warframe is not a game for everyone. However the Second Dream means a great change of pace in the game. I was mostly neutral about it when I returned (Yes, I actually gave up when it first launched on PS4 and gave it a shot 2 years after), but after the Second Dream, the first cinematic quest on a game that had nothing to to with that kind of content for a long while, everything changed and I became more and more motivated to keep going. Too this day I'm here non-stop.

Either that or it won't be enough to keep you interested, which is alright. But in the end that's a good decision, await until TSD quest to make your final judgement. I also assume you've tried the open worlds, another game-changer for Warframe.

And even if you give up I advise you to give it a shot in one or two years. I guarantee you'll see a completely different game, like it was for me and many other players who quit and returned. Warframe has a way of reshaping and revitalizing itself with time. Best luck!

Edited by (PS4)Pauloluisx

Spies and rescues both sport back doors. If you take your time in each map (kill patrols and cameras with a silent weapon) or watch video guides, life will become a lot easier.

You would probably benefit from enemy radar or animal instinct mods on yourself or companion for some situational awareness.

On 2018-12-01 at 12:48 PM, Melirion said:

To backtrack and disgress a bit, when I reached the Stolen dream quest, I searched the net for advice of course. One recurring advice was to use a furtive Warframe like Loki or Ivara. Well, at this point in game there is no way to get a frame like Loki or Ivara without actually paying. So, if a particular frame is required at a particular point in game, this makes the game a pay to win (not talking about paying to get things faster, but having to pay to simply progress). Plus, as you may have understood, I particularly dislike this kind of gameplay and considering the very limited resource we get, I will not use them for something I do not like.

You don't need those frames to progress. It makes it A LOT easier, but not required. I did it on Mag (I only got Loki Prime just before the frame was vaulted in 2016, but was already in Sedna by then).

PTW exists in Warframe, but the beginning frames CAN complete the missions. It's more work, but still doable. Unlocking Mars was the hardest for me due to all the Grineer and Mag then was a Corpus only killer.

Grineer maps and Mag ... Oh, the PAIN then!