Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strain Mods?

Almighty_Jado

I’ve been a psychotic Nidus fan since our favourite Nasti Boi came out, so naturally a mod set that compliments him and his pupper seemed really awesome to me.

Thematic awesomeness aside, how good is the mod set in terms of practicality? On paper alone it doesnt look anything spectacular, but I haven’t managed to acquire 2 of the mods yet. Anyone out there tested the usefulness of the mods?

those mods look good, if we only had like 5 more modslots to work with. as is just stuffing your frame, weapons and pupper with mods that are NOT conditional with marginal benefit seems like the way to go, considering how insanely fast paced most of the gameplay is. eruption might be worth your time, since it's on the charger and does scaling damage of a mostly favorable type

I'm also a big, big Nidus fan, but I'm afraid I have some bad news for you if you expected synergy between Nidus and that mod set...

Maybe I'm just naive, but personally, when I heard the announcement about these maggot-mods I thought I could use them like Nidus' other maggots. Apparently that is not the case however:

• Like 1

It gives some AoE utility for the Helminth Charger outside a somewhat bland kit it had since its release. Also, it somewhat synergizes with Proboscis and with warframes that can vacuum enemies into a single spot to proc Strain Eruption.

Could just be a case by case scenario if you choose to use it. Might work best with a buffer frame that can boost the Helminth Charger’s overall damage.

Full damage and zero utility helmint charger is a beast with this mod set. The real problem is still the awful dog AI and pathing, but the potential is there.

Your helminth should be something like:

Maul, bite, 2 set mods, link armor and health, 2 of the new +element+status mods and something else

hits like a truck... when he does attack.

no special sinergy with Nidus, except the heal that is welcome

1 minute ago, BallisticSalsa said:

It has aesthetic synergy. The most important kind.

Sure that.

With the new skin I think he looks great aside of any warframe. Its like the warframe version of chaos juggernauts from warhammer...

The problem is that it is basically better than other companions only at damage, so you should really go for that. 

And since I like to have more utility I use him less than I want to

UPDATE: I finally got the whole set. Honestly, not too bad, but I think isn't as effective as other builds that are out there.

I probably won't be using the entire set, but I admit that using the two Helminth mods on my charger gives it the ability to dish out some incredibly helpful CC (maggots drawing aggro, stunning enemies by crawling on them, stagger from explosions, etc).

• 4 weeks later...

The problem with kurbow, helminth, and kavat is that they have only 10 mods slots, you need to have mods for survival and utilities at the same while sentinel doesn't experience this issue the reason why is because they have weapon that can be modded as well

Honestly it looks cool, but kurbrow, kavat and helminth really need to have weapon mods so we can use this mods to the fullest 

I got the whole set.  Played around with it for a bit, including on my Infested themed Nyx (with the Carnifex skin.)  I thought it might help there since she doesn't have a tone of innate regen.  The set is yet another that (in my opinion) sounds neat on paper and utterly underwhelms inside missions.

The maggots are very short lived, and as with all pet powers it just goes off where ever it happens to be standing at the time.  Since non-Sentinel pets frequently bug out and get stuck on completely smooth floors, this means that the maggots will often die before they can reach anything to gnaw on it.

Only one maggot seems to attack a given target.  If you can group enemies up, the blast will overlap.  Otherwise, it does a relatively small amount of damage to a single target.  Maggots that aren't latched on seem to do basically nothing.  According to the wording on the mod, it also does a percentage of the target's *current* health when they explode, meaning unless you've got a Bombard surrounded by a bunch of low health mooks, it's unlikely to ever actually kill anything.

The damage and critical bonus buffs increase as more cysts spawn on the Helminth.  They stay at max value for a few seconds, then drop back to zero when the cysts drop off.  There's an additional short delay before they start to regrow.  So the vast majority of the time the buffs are at a *lot* less than their maximum value.

The healing from Strain Consumption is barely noticeable.  So barely noticeable that I'm not even completely sure it works at all.  It's possible that maggots that explode don't leave bodies to be consumed.  Even if they do, the 5m range is quite short.

Honestly, you'll get more consistent and reliable results by equipping the Hunter set mods that allows the pet to heal you when it does damage, and the crit-link one.  And you don't have to worry about modding your Warframe and melee weapon to make use of those.  And if you don't want to use those, just equip Arcane Grace on your Warframe and potentially get healed by any attack that doesn't instantly kill you.

The Strain set is different, and very thematic.  And (in my opinion) kind of completely useless.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-12-27 at 6:06 AM, Almighty_Jado said:

UPDATE: I finally got the whole set. Honestly, not too bad, but I think isn't as effective as other builds that are out there.

I probably won't be using the entire set, but I admit that using the two Helminth mods on my charger gives it the ability to dish out some incredibly helpful CC (maggots drawing aggro, stunning enemies by crawling on them, stagger from explosions, etc).

Does these mods interact with Titania's Full Moon buff.