Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So...is the Gaze is that bad?

ChaoticEdge

7 hours ago, 541K4T said:

Well, I like to use Pax Seeker, and I have a bad habit of reloading too often. Also apart for Catchmoon, Gaze offers most constant rate of landing headshot due to its pinpoint accuracy, so ideal candidate for Pax Seeker.

It'll proc pax seeker easily, sure (at least if it's not killing through DoT stacks), but for a lot less damage than any of the other chambers. From a quick test of each kitgun unmodded, gaze was getting 99 base damage seeker projectiles, tombfinger was giving around 450, and catchmoon was giving near 600. My rattleguts was the bizarre one as it was putting out 500+ base damage seeker projectiles despite having MUCH lower per-shot damage than tombfinger or catchmoon...? I am confused by this. It could probably stand more testing by someone with more patience and more than one kitgun of each kind. I don't think I have haymaker on my gaze, so it's possible it would be slightly higher with it.

(unrelated i also feel like i should reconsider my rattle gun, since it looks like i went with non-max crit hoping for the status to be helpful without really doublechecking, but it seems like that gave up quite a lot of crit for a tiny increase in status. whoops.)

8 hours ago, Skaleek said:

I tried making a pure status gaze to take advantage of going over the 100% status cap on beam weapons.... Cept the gaze has its status capped at 100%... frustrating.

That's not a mechanic. What you might be thinking of is the old beam status-per-second display which would list over 100%, but also the entire stat was a lie and even having 100% didn't actually guarantee status procs. When status per second claimed you had 100%, what it ACTUALLY meant was that you had four 25% chances a second. Hence the ability to go over 100 on the display. Fire rate also somehow factored into this old system...?

Edited by OvisCaedo

In a vacuum, a Gaze kitgun is actually pretty good. Built right it can do the work and with a riven it can be perfectly "endgame" viable.

the problem is it's competition.

Tombfinger and Catchmoon are some of the best secondaries in the game right now. Rattleguts isn't AS good/popular but isn't far behind. Poor Gaze is dead last.

If you like the Gaze then there shouldn't be any reason not to use it. I've made quite a few "weaker" guns work just fine with the right setups and it isn't THAT bad. It just gets outclassed by the other kitguns.

*shrug*

On 2019-02-08 at 6:04 PM, OvisCaedo said:

That's not a mechanic. What you might be thinking of is the old beam status-per-second display which would list over 100%, but also the entire stat was a lie and even having 100% didn't actually guarantee status procs. When status per second claimed you had 100%, what it ACTUALLY meant was that you had four 25% chances a second. Hence the ability to go over 100 on the display. Fire rate also somehow factored into this old system...?

Thanks, i've been inactive for the most part so sometimes its hard to keep up with mechanic changes. Appreciate the information.

It has a few problems:

1. It's only slightly better damage/damage type than the synoid gammacor, but doesn't have a channeling penetrating energy restore.
  2. It's a puncture based beam weapon, so status is pointless. Beam weapons have a high fire rate, so status is usually good, but not as good as discrete weapons.
  3. Status limitations: For projectile weapons status increases multishot, but not for beam weapons. Multishot only increases damage. So a rattleguts with high fire rate and multishot will proc more status than the beam weapon. Building the beam weapon for status gimps crit chance and damage, meaning you can't capitalize on the primed crit mods. Secondaries also have the highest modded multishot and firerate with double barrel and lethal torrent getting 180% MS and 60% fire rate.
  4. It's range limitations came out during an open world expansion. You need more than 41 meters of hurt for vallis enemies and orbs.
  5. The ramp up for beam weapons mean you need to hold your lazer pointer on your target before it melts. Faster time to kill for other kritguns.
  6. Too much precision: you have pintpoint accuracy in short range, where you want to have cone of damage. This is why heavy caliber is good on an ignis or an amprex.

So it's outclassed by other beam weapons, it's outclassed in status as a beam weapon, it does crap damage that needs to ramp up, you can't shoot distant targets in an open world, and it doesn't have damage spread like every single other kitgun.

I've gotten 2 kitgun rivens, both are for the gaze. I can't make that pile of garbage work to save my life. Rattleguts is my baby for now.

It's is good, but it has to compete with rattle guts which has pretty much everything that is better. 

Reasons why it is not popular:

1)It's a beam weapon, so has spool time before it dishes max damage and the damage is reduced with each new enemy,

2)multishot mods do not increase bullet count ( and effective status chance) per shot only the damage 

3) not very ammo efficient (especially if you use fire rate mod) 

4) Needs aiming (atleast compared to the other alternatives for kitguns) 

5) Range VS damage tradeoff can be off putting. 

6) default damage is puncture and radiation, no slash proc chance. 

The only advantage it has is the innate punchthrough, which is not really a gamechanger at 1m.