Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gifting owned platinum?

Steel_Rook

Question

I'm trying to talk a friend of mine into playing Warframe. Since he's pretty much staunchly against paying for F2P games, I thought I'd at least start him out with 1000 Plat or so. I have quite a bit to spare thanks to 75% off discounts. Initially I thought I'd just offer him the Platinum over a simple trade for something worthless, but I've been warned against doing that. Supposedly, some people have gotten sanctioned for doing that on suspicion of out-of-game trading of some kind. Would something like this be safe to do?

15 answers to this question

You don't have to "gift" platinum just use the gifting feature of the in-game market (as mentioned plenty of times above) just go to the market, select weapon slot, warframe slot (they'd need these the most) or specific weapons, warframes, boosters (early on booster can help more than actual items & cosmetics) etc etc then click the gift box icon at the bottom. You can gift your friend anything available on the market. If you want to give them a prime warframe/weapon set, farm it with them if you don't have it or just trade it. "Gifting" platinum wouldn't be distinguishable from a third party sale so a big sum such as 1000 plat (it is indeed a significant sum) might raise a red flag. There's a sensible way of doing this, so the rest is up to you.

Edited by Guest

I think what your friend needs to is to fall in love with the game. You can help him with it, teach him about movement modding and levelling up those mods. teach him about the frames and their abilities and how they work. 

Once he gets use to all that it might click and he might want to keep going. I think its best to gift them some weapons and some mods, but dont make them a god when they just new, that way they know what its like to be mediocre and turn powerful. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, (PS4)VaNiDgE said:

I think what your friend needs to is to fall in love with the game. You can help him with it, teach him about movement modding and levelling up those mods. teach him about the frames and their abilities and how they work. 

I intend to do both. 1000 Plat isn't exactly "a lot," considering I was lucky enough to get that for €10 on my first day due to a 75% discount. In my experience, having some starting capital to grab a few cool starter items and not having to deal with the limited and frankly terrible selection the game opens with tends to help stick with a game. I can tell you for a fact I wouldn't have stuck around if I had to make do with Exaclibur long-term because I hate his abilities, but Atlas - for as maligned as he is - really did help me get my foot into the game. He's on permanent hiatus NOW, sure, but I got my money's worth out of him.

Gifting my friend specific items is an option (I got a whole bunch of Auras dropped on me early on), certainly, but that kind of creates a sense of dependence. A different friend of mine damn near quit the game on multiple occasions because he consistently felt like he couldn't do or achieve anything without the rest of us helping out. Grabbing gifts from the Market isn't a bad idea, though. I don't know about the Starter pack, as it's €20 for just 300 Plat and honestly not a lot else that's that expensive to buy or that I can't straight-up share. Does the in-game Market have a "gift" option?

And yes, I did consider the Trade Tax for Platinum, though I didn't think it was that bad. What would that add up to? That might be an issue. I just know that he - like me - also hates his Tutorial Warframe (forget what he picked), which was one of the main reasons he didn't feel like retrying the game after playing, like, two missions. I mean, the guy straight-up bought GTA 5 for me as a "gift" to talk me into playing it, and that was I think $20 even on discount. It makes sense that I'd return the favour, right?

I'm going to spend some amount of money or plat on my friend, that much is a given. Just don't want to trip some kind of scammer protection and put my account in bad standing while doing it.

• Like 1

I was thinking of doing the same actually, I was thinking of buying the mesa prime access pack on my account *but I already have Mesa Prime and the weapons).
SO I thought I would just give my IRL friend the cash to buy the mesa prime pack so he can get the mesa prime and weapons (since these arent tradable if you buy the pack) and then he could just buy some crap from me for the plat included 2625.

Since were friends and have played alot together I cannot imagine this raising a red flag or be against some shady rule, DE will be happy since they get my cash and me and my friend will be happy aswell.

Edited by (XB1)Dic3man

2 hours ago, Thoogah said:

You can gift your friend anything available on the market. If you want to give them a prime warframe/weapon set, farm it with them if you don't have it or just trade it.

Yeah, that's likely what I'll go with. The trouble with that is kind of creates a dependence on me, which I'd like to avoid, but eh - it's what the system is for. I don't expect to be trading any Prime stuff - that's not of a lot of use to a new player if for no reason other than MR locks, so that's not an issue. Thanks for the explanation.

5 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Plat does not make the game more enjoyable, one purchases plat because it is enjoyable.

I disagree. Getting lucky and snagging a 75% off on my literal first day of playing the game seriously (after running the tutorial two years prior and abandoning it) is pretty much the only reason I stuck with the game. I'm not even talking about skipping the grind or being lazy. Simply getting at least some gear that I don't ABSOLUTELY HATE at the start (and I really do hate Excalibur and all the tutorial weapons), which can then tide me over into the actual progression system was vital.

On 2019-03-07 at 2:51 PM, (PSN)death404 said:

I often give my son plat via trades and never had an issue. I buy it legitimately and nothing in the TOS says I can't. 

If he had just started the game however I would give him slots, forma or potatoes instead of raw currency.

How much you give then, without raising a flag?