Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee 3.0 - Keybinding Issues

askaninja

Under the old system I was able to use the same button for firing my gun as melee so I had a single attach button on my mouse as I rotated through weapons. I the new melee system I can't do that anymore from what I can tell. It just feels clunky and worse instead of better. Any way you can fix that Devs?

9 minutes ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

You can do this, we added a toggle for folks who requested this in the Dev Workshop. Check out your options. 

Controller bindings are all jacked up. Melee channel can only be bound to quick melee, shoot or aim. Quick melee no longer exists so I can give up aiming and aim gliding or shooting....

Thanks!

For those looking for the option on the PC it is not under key bindings, it is instead on the first tab of options and it is called "Melee with Fire Weapon Input" near the bottom of the page. Time to try to get channeling working 😃

Edited by askaninja
typo

Normally I had Melee Channel attached to my fire button for guns.

But since pressing fire (Right bumper) auto-switches to gun, I can't channel.

I tried to put Melee Channel to my Secondary fire button, which is the Right Trigger, but I'm not allowed to bind it to anything but Quick-Melee(doesn't exist anymore), Fire Weapon(switches to gun), and Aim Weapon(switches to gun).

So as of now, I have completely lost the ability to Melee Channel.

I'd suggest something like letting us bind controls without restrictions.

ALSO, an idea: Melee channel being able to cause the Aim Glide effect, but only on weapons.

Pressing Secondary fire button while in melee doesn't switch to gun mode, so that should be allowed for Melee Channel binding too.

Edited by Teliko_Freedman
addition
  • Like 1

If you have your melee weapon out, AND you have switched to the melee fire button option in the menu AND you jump and GLIDE, you immediately switch to your weapon and then you have to REPRESS your melee key.  It makes it very clunky.  And is no longer "full melee mode".

So my solution was to simply not carry any ranged weapons at all.  Bind my weapon fire to the E key and my melee fire to the left mouse.  It now functions like it did before the change.  BUT I never have the option for a ranged weapon.  (including just carrying them for set bonus or the occasional needed ranged shot.)  DE, you broke my game.  I'm a founder and have spent WAY too much cash on this game...and now I don't like it anymore.  Fix it, or you've lost me.  Just the way it is.

I suffer from arthritis/RSI and this update had completely destroyed melee for me.

There used to be a separate melee attack and fire gun button; both could be bound to the same key because they were mutually exclusive.  A 'quick melee' button was there too.

The default binds were quite frankly asinine.  Melee by default should've been bound to LMB, but instead it was channel, a toggle key, which should be on the keyboard.  Nobody I knew thought the melee binds were good and in fact more people were confused by it than anything else (spamming LMB to rapid toggle wondering wtf was going on), hence the manual rebinding to LMB many people did.

This update changed all melee to be the 'quick melee' keyboard hotkey since there's no more weapon toggling.  It also removed block.

We now are forced to press the quick melee button to even get into melee mode in the first place; can't just stay in it indefinitely because if you hit RMB it tries to zoom you, removing your melee weapon, forcing another press of quick melee, wasting time and performing an unneeded attack.  If you're in the air, you have to attack, no block gliding.  If you're carrying a gun with a zoom (sniper/codex scanner), you zoom into first person instead, significantly decreasing your ability to see. Regardless, it's now impossible to block in the air (while gliding).

I was going to come make a giant post about how the game is now borderline unplayable until I saw this thread with that option toggle.  Prior to writing this, spamming quick melee as Valkyr caused my wrist to start hurting after just a single mission and I couldn't continue playing.

The toggle helps, but it does not fix all the problems; namely the lack of air blocking and being forced to press the melee button to go back into melee instead of being able to stay in melee mode permanently.  (Heck, I completely forgot about the combos that used RMB (block button?) until I finished writing the post.  Haven't looked at all into this ingame, so there's another thing to keep an eye on.  Also ignored channeling, as I rarely ever channel, but reports of issues with that too due to consuming energy on unwanted auto-blocking.)

All this for.. quicker 'switching' between melee/ranged weapons.

I don't think it's worth it.

If I had a say in development, I'd revert the change, take all the feedback into consideration, and re-develop (or further develop) the systems for release 'later' like was stated in the message.  Currently, it just feels like a half baked change.  Not melee 3.0, but melee 2.37.

Targeted ground slam is a nice QoL change (and doesn't need the control overhaul), but melee attacking flying enemies (or cameras/turrets) is still a massive PITA.

Edited by DAOWAce

So, kind of silly but also related question: Why does Aim Glide have zoom AT ALL? I know there are weapon mods to reduce zoom, but why does it zoom in the first place? My rough guess is that more people use it for gliding than for shooting.

Edited by Steel_Rook

12 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

You can do this, we added a toggle for folks who requested this in the Dev Workshop. Check out your options. 

I'm a PC player. I tend to play melee over ranged in all RPG / action games I come across and the change you just did to Waframe hurts me a lot. I joined Warframe playerbase 116 days ago or so becasue I have found here something i was missing in other games - the parkour system with the separate melee and ranged modes you could modify to your preferences. 

For me the problem is with Devs taking away permanent melee mode and forcing us to be primarly ranged. Adding that toggle melee option does not bring the same melee experience as it was just one day ago.

Before we could swap ranged / melee mode on "holding F" or using dedicated button and stay in melee mode as long as i wanted. That toggling option you just introduced does not have the same functionality as permanent melee mode. To go into melee mode now I need to use quick attack button. With melee toggled option sure I can spam melee attacks with my left mouse button, but since blocking on demand is gone whenever I right click I go into ranged aim what puts me in ranged mode with holding my pimary or secondary. To go into melee I need to quick attack again which i can't really bind to left mouse button becuase I'll loose thee ability to shoot ranged weapons when needed. This is also extremally annoying when I try to melee glide and suddenly im gliding with the view of a sniper scope for example. On excavation or mobile defense missions when I pick up the Energy cell or data pad being in melee mode and either drop it or put it where it belongs I'm being put back in ranged mode again. Is pakouring with melee really gone or am I missing something and it can be redone via keybindings?

I know that mojority of Warframe playerbase focuses on ranged weapons but there are players like me that build their game experience around melee combat and now you just took away almost all the fun form it. You aim with the changes was to make switching from ranged to melee and back more fluid, but in was made in such favor for ranged mode that IMO you more or less broke the melee system rather than improving it.

Melee 3.0? I think its "Ranged 3 : 0 Melee" with this patch.

Please bring back:

- permanent melee mode,

- "hold F" to switch melee / ranged modes,

- pressig specific button to go into melee and stay there without the need of pressing auto quick attack button,

- manual block for melee gliding.

Edit: Using right mouse button (aka aim / aim glide) now cancels your ongoing Exalted Weapons, like Excalibur Umbra's Exaltd Blade. "Your left mouse button is gun fire, always, instantly. Your right mouse button is now aim, always, instantly." Was fun playing Warframe for 116 or so days, but its not anymore.

Edited by Urgval

PC player using PS4 controller. "Melee" button no longer binds so I use steam bindings to the "E" key and that seemed to fix it. Looked for a blocking but that seems to have been removed. Sooo at least melee button works now. 

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who also melee's quite a bit I would agree new directional ground slam is great but the rest is more of a pain in the ass than its worth.  I also don't see a reason why the new and old system could not be put on its own toggle in options and let people use whichever method of melee they prefer.

DE,

first off, let us fully customize the damn key bindings like before. i don't care if i don't have show level map on a button, let me remove and put in what i want because now i have channel melee and show map on same button and i don't know how to remove either of them.

secondly, let me use fire weapon while weapon is out and channel energy while melee is out, not fire the gun when i don't want to.

lastly, please let me use secondary fire again with space bar while using controller like before because i don't want secondary fire on my controller. i use r stick to swap shoulders as i do that more often than i use secondary and as a result of your melee 3.0, i can't throw fire jars at exploiter orb because for some reason, it tells me to press space bar to use secondary, but it doesn't work.

Sincerely, Goku

I think that the insta-switch of melee to gun doesn't need to sacrifice manual blocking and melee air gliding. Some people might like this new update because there isn't the much time interval for weapon switching, but I certainly fell it odd needing to attack to equip melee, no longer having full melee sucks, really, really bad. I don't mind much of the Directional ground slams, they're dope as heck.

Just to say I have been here a long time and know a lot how the game works; I have been in this community for 320+ days, so if you say that I'm probably a new player joining, look at those days.

Edited by (PS4)RebirthAltair

• 3 weeks later...

I still fail to understand why players have restrictions on what buttons can be mapped separately on controller. The fact that I cannot re-bind channeling is dumb, because that means I can't use my weapon to aim or block for an aim glide in melee. There is also the fact that Xbox controllers just don't have enough buttons to justify forcing us to use specific combos of actions on locked buttons.

I personally don't think channeling adds any depth, and it has been long-since abandoned beyond a few alt-fire mechanics for things like the Sydon. I feel like alt fire should be bound to channeling, (if they choose to maintain the fact that alt fire can't swap back to gun use) so we can save ourselves from the hell of trying to find comfortable buttons to use for such niche features.

The same thing happened when alt fire was moved to a separate keybind; they failed to see that some people may want an option to keep the legacy controls. Ever since they moved alt fires I can no longer effectively use them because I have to bind them to a less accessible button (Select, in my case) which just means aiming alt fires is a waste of time. If I could bind both channeling and alt fire to the same button, that would be a good compromise. But that also means DE would have to release the restrictions on mapping for channeling. I'd like an option to be able to revert controllers to the old 'Aim = Alt Fire' settings so I can actually enjoy weapons like the Castanas or Penta, and the option to move channeling to a different button, since it has literally no reason to be taking up a function slot on one of the most accessible buttons on a controller. 

It kills me that they have this game on both consoles, and still have not figured out how to allow their PC players to map buttons accordingly. It's not the worst thing ever, obviously, but it's super disappointing. 

Edited by Primarina