Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Clarity required from DE

Just now, peterc3 said:

Another point I feel needs to be made.

DE is under no obligation to host content it finds objectionable. This is not censorship.

All the crying and gnashing of teeth over this slippery slope... that doesn't exist. DE preventing you from saying cancer doesn't lead to anything. The slippery slope is telling a company it must host content they don't want to. 

Find a better grasp of the language you are so distraught over being unable to use.

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information, on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or "inconvenient". Censorship can be conducted by a government private institutions, and corporations.

LOL...

If cancer was the only censored word you would be right...but it is not.

1 minute ago, TARINunit9 said:

You're missing one little detail: Censorship is, by definition, inflicted either by a government onto its populace (enforced via police), or a publisher onto its developers (enforced via intellectual property legal threats)

There is nothing stopping you from expressing your concerns on your own website, DE can't stop that and thus it's not censorship. It's DE saying "get off my lawn"

See also:

(Though I feel peterc3 is being just a liiiiiittle too dismissive)

You're being very technical about it, I did mention the heckler's veto which leads to the same result.

If 50 users on this forum consistently went around and reported people for things they disagreed with and mods were feeling a bit lazy, then there'd be an ongoing censorship in action even if isn't defined as such by the strictest definitions. In the end it's an unfair method of doing things that never resolves the issues.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

Just becuase I personally do not like how its is being used, does not mean it should censored..I am only me, responsible for me.

That isn't an answer.

1 minute ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information, on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or "inconvenient". Censorship can be conducted by a government private institutions, and corporations.

Neither you, nor anyone else, is being silenced. You can go to another website, game, chat or forum and make jokes about terrible diseases all you like. This is not a debate about censorship. It's about house rules.

If you come into my house and start making fun of my cat, I am not censoring you by kicking you out of my house for your behavior. You can still insult my cat, I'm just not letting you do so in my house.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Smilomaniac said:

Censorship, colloquially, is the suppression of any expression and can be detrimental no matter where it happens or comes from.
The heckler's veto is an example of it in action, where upon a single individual can silence an entire event by constantly interrupting or pulling a fire alarm.

Censorship is not limited to the government but also includes companies/corporations and private institutions.

Look, I don't find this guys particular complaint that fascinating either, but it does put a bummer on things when you get chat banned for innocuous stuff, such as when I tried to write "WTS slightly used cephalon" because "WTS belongs in trade chat". It's frustrating and people occasionally lash out when they get ban-hammered; It feels oppressive even if it's comparatively not a big deal.

Is it censorship if you refuse to wear, IRL, a sign I write saying "I'm an a**hole"? Is it censorship if a game prevents me from putting a sign on someone saying "I'm an a**hole"?

5 minutes ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

If cancer was the only censored word you would be right...but it is not.

Are we going with the memes beaten into cosmic dust? Or the things that are majority used as slurs or otherwise used to demean people?

Or are we going with the list of things people claim have gotten them banned but, with any actual scrutiny, it turns out to be false?

Edited by peterc3

4 minutes ago, Smilomaniac said:

You're being very technical about it, I did mention the heckler's veto which leads to the same result.

If 50 users on this forum consistently went around and reported people for things they disagreed with and mods were feeling a bit lazy, then there'd be an ongoing censorship in action even if isn't defined as such by the strictest definitions. In the end it's an unfair method of doing things that never resolves the issues.

At least we're on the same page; we both agree the heckler's veto exists, we just don't agree whether it gets the moniker "censorship". And we both agree that the OP has a point, we just disagree whether his rhetoric is strong

Yay for non-hostile debates!

4 minutes ago, SenorClipClop said:

That isn't an answer.

Neither you, nor anyone else, is being silenced. You can go to another website, game, chat or forum and make jokes about terrible diseases all you like. This is not a debate about censorship. It's about house rules.

If you come into my house and start making fun of my cat, I am not censoring you by kicking you out of my house for your behavior. You can still insult my cat, I'm just not letting you do so in my house.

That was my answer, I don't think my being upset at anything should set a rule. I use the ignore function, way better than blanket censorship. 

Your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs are pointless... I was told about the cancer thing earlier on psn text chat, logged on and tested it. tested it on WARFRAME, i got a questionably worded message from DEkickbot on WARFRAME so i came to WARFRAME forums to discuss, so it is about censorship on WARFRAME but also a very weirdly worded warning message.  

5 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Is it censorship if you refuse to wear, IRL, a sign I write saying "I'm an a**hole"? Is it censorship if a game prevents me from putting a sign on someone saying "I'm an a**hole"?

That's literally not what's happening anywhere though.
Also those stars you're using to hide a cuss is against the forum rules, which enables others to report you, potentially causing harm to your account.

3 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

At least we're on the same page; we both agree the heckler's veto exists, we just don't agree whether it gets the moniker "censorship". And we both agree that the OP has a point, we just disagree whether his rhetoric is strong

Yay for non-hostile debates!

Not to be a stickler, but a 'moniker' is just a nickname, which anyone or anything can earn for any reason.
I did also say that censorship is a word that's used colloquially in other (obvious) ways and therefore doesn't has to be used by its strictest definitions. You're not confused at all when he says he thinks its censorship and there's plenty of evidence (and probably some proof) that it's not an entirely inappropriate use of the word.

Sadly we live in a time where people get arrested and convicted for quoting song lyrics (in the UK, in memory of a dead kid brother even) because they had 'racially sensitive' words.

With context like that in mind there is some merit to his point, even if he isn't eloquent about it.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)covan2306 said:

it is about censorship on WARFRAME

This is not about censorship. It is about house rules. When you started playing the game you agreed to their terms of service, which includes not using toxic language in the in-game chat. Break the rule, suffer the consequences.

Here's another simple example: imagine you're in school. Suddenly, in the middle of class, you start spewing cancer jokes, homophobic slurs, etc. The teacher kicks you out of class or sends you to the office. Are you being persecuted, silenced? Is your free speech being stripped from you? Are your rights being infringed upon?

• Like 2

i type how my brain talks sorry, it just asked me to google eloquent

I get what you mean, but it's not worth getting angry about man. People don't bother sympathizing much when they can argue instead in some pretense of superiority.
For what it's worth, there are a lot of people who feel the same way, they just don't happen to be any of the active staff.

Bottom line, mods won't care, you're wasting your time when you could be having fun playing the game or doing anything else really 🙂

1 minute ago, SenorClipClop said:

This is not about censorship. It is about house rules. When you started playing the game you agreed to their terms of service, which includes not using toxic language in the in-game chat. Break the rule, suffer the consequences.

Here's another simple example: imagine you're in school. Suddenly, in the middle of class, you start spewing cancer jokes, homophobic slurs, etc. The teacher kicks you out of class or sends you to the office. Are you being persecuted, silenced? Is your free speech being stripped from you? Are your rights being infringed upon?

When you type something in chat, and it is hidden from its intended audience...you were silenced. Try milk the house rules thinking all you want, but it is censorship.
Just so happen their house rules are enforced by censorship...magic eh? 

3 minutes ago, Smilomaniac said:

That's literally not what's happening anywhere though.
 Also those stars you're using to hide a cuss is against the forum rules, which enables others to report you, potentially causing harm to your account.

If something were to happen, I wouldn't then write a forum thread and say DE was trying to censor me. Their house, their rules.

Just now, (PS4)covan2306 said:

When you type something in chat, and it is hidden from its intended audience...you were silenced. Try milk the house rules thinking all you want, but it is censorship.

I wish for you to end all of your forum posts with the following: " I am a banana". If you don't, I will take this as to mean you are a proponent of censorship.

Just now, Smilomaniac said:

I get what you mean, but it's not worth getting angry about man. People don't bother sympathizing much when they can argue instead in some pretense of superiority.
For what it's worth, there are a lot of people who feel the same way, they just don't happen to be any of the active staff.

Bottom line, mods won't care, you're wasting your time when you could be having fun playing the game or doing anything else really 🙂

Not gotten angry once, if thats how you read my words that on you, I save my anger for real things, like a skunk outside my front door at 4:30am when I am leaving for work in a half zombie like state.

You didn't answer my question.

10 minutes ago, SenorClipClop said:

imagine you're in school. Suddenly, in the middle of class, you start spewing cancer jokes, homophobic slurs, etc. The teacher kicks you out of class or sends you to the office. Are you being persecuted, silenced? Is your free speech being stripped from you? Are your rights being infringed upon?

I think you're either misconstruing what "censorship" actually means, or you're cherry-picking its uses for ideas that support your argument.

• Like 1

Game is about space ninjas doing cool sht around the solar system and chat censorship is a major issue. I have my fair share of chat bans and it didn't affect the game quality at all. Sure you might say you are joking but personally those are cheap humor. Moderation system is bad, a lot of stuff don't get filtered out so nothing much we can do about that. Is it so hard to be a decent person? I guess I am expecting a lot from the internet

4 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

If something were to happen, I wouldn't then write a forum thread and say DE was trying to censor me. Their house, their rules.

You're breaking their rules. While defending their rules.

The only reason you'd do that is because you don't agree with that particular rule (ignorance is not a defense), nevermind the consequences or lack thereof. That's hypocritical, meaning you are literally contributing nothing to the thread but the fact that you disagree.

Also your examples really are hopeless, you know full well what he means and there's more evidence to back up this use of the words censorship. It's why the word colloquial exists.

2 minutes ago, SenorClipClop said:

You didn't answer my question.

I think you're either misconstruing what "censorship" actually means, or you're cherry-picking its uses for ideas that support your argument.

Your school thing? answer that...It does not apply to this because in your example I would have said all those things...therfore not silenced. In warframe however your comment is immediatley removed...silenced.

Slow down your examples and magic stories of school and stuff and just look at the facts:
log onto warframe----go to global chat(dont...)---have a birthday between june 21-july 23---tell everyone what your star sign/zodiac sign is---get silenced

get a message about DE illness comedy scale

Hi, 

Using an illness for the sake of a joke or as a means for complaint (i.e. "This thing is so bad it gave me <insert illness here>") is not appropriate behavior in game or here on the forums. Making light of others' suffering is insensitive and cruel, and will not be tolerated. 

As others have said, DE sets the rules. It is the responsibility of the players to follow the rules. Failure to follow the rules will result in chat messages (or forum posts) being removed and, if the rule violating behavior is severe enough, a suspension to the player's privileges. Yes, you are free to say whatever you want, but that does not mean you are free from any consequences of what you write. As the forums and the in-game chat are considered privately owned and managed spaces, users are obligated to follow the rules set forth by the managing entity (in this case DE) while using the space.

Locking.

• Like 5