Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Help with modding melee weapons

Fayth2567

Question

Hi,

i am kinda new to the game with only 3 weeks under my belt MR 8. I am looking for help learning to to use melee effectively in the game. I have good primaries and secondaries but not good melee. I have the galatine and attrerax and the electric whip.

The problem is I don’t know how mod them properly. I know using bane mods and pressure point is good. But should I use Crit mods, attack speed or range? I dont know what to mod beyond more base damage. I do not have that many good melee mods just common ones that drop.

8 answers to this question

You didn't mention elemental damage, definitely get some of that going if you want effective weapons.
When in doubt, Corrosive is a good all-round element that'll serve you well in most situations.

The Bane Mods are ~okay, but only if you keep adjusting your loadout to the enemy Faction you're facing.

More Attack Speed and Range is almost always a good idea.

As for Crit Mods, get Blood Rush (maybe via Trading) and Drifting Contact, that'll turn any Melee
with a Crit Chance of at least, say, 15% (the more the merrier tho) into a Crit beast easily enough.

Go watch a video for the weapon you want to max is always a good idea because you can see its potential for fighting against high lv enemies and the build, once you watch a few videos / builds you will know no matter what lv they are, the guru usually play with ~20 mods.

Google " Warframe 'Weapon Name' build " is the easiest if you don't know anything.

Have a look at warframe wiki. It's a very helpful place to learn anything u want . Build can depend on ur style or what u think u need . To say u have galatine . Well that weapon is very slow, so u need attack speed mods for it yes. Range Not really , Maybe for some other weapon . But learn how mods work n what to put. Then for any build u need just search n watch some vid. Better than text. 

If u have any more question. Come ask here again .

• Like 1

Look at the stats of the weapon.

Does it have high enough base crit ? If YES then mod for crit (Crit mods + attack speed + range)

Is the weapon slow ? Add speed (Fury and berserker)

Does the weapon have high status ? Mod for status (dual stat mods and all 4 of them if you got them, can have dual elemental combos and really high status)

If the weapon has both crit and status then you can go for hybrid build. (dual stat mods which are 60% elemental dmg + 60% status) and then crit mods

At the end its up to your playstyle. I like polearms and whips, because crazy range. I even run my cyath zaw with a range riven and primed reach and it's got like at least 18m reach lol, but that comes at the cost of damage which im fine with because it still clears all the maps i play. It's my weapon and it gets adjusted to my playstyle, even if its not "top dps" by wf builder standards.

54 minutes ago, KiteoHatto said:

Does it have high enough base crit ? If YES then mod for crit (Crit mods + attack speed + range)

Is the weapon slow ? Add speed (Fury and berserker)

Does the weapon have high status ? Mod for status (dual stat mods and all 4 of them if you got them, can have dual elemental combos and really high status)

You'd need to add some actual figure if you want to help a new player. How much crit/status is "high"? Anything above 30, or is 90 the bare minimum? What does "slow" or "fast" mean? 

15 minutes ago, Neofit26 said:

You'd need to add some actual figure if you want to help a new player. How much crit/status is "high"? Anything above 30, or is 90 the bare minimum? What does "slow" or "fast" mean? 

20-30% as BASE is good enough usually for either one.

If it's under that value as base then it's not worth modding for.

Attack speed is up to the person, some weapons i find "fine" but others find slow. However the defaul skana speed is 0.833 or something, i can't remember exactly. Anything over 0.9 is "fast" and anything under 0.8 is "slow*

Edited by KiteoHatto

1 hour ago, KiteoHatto said:

Attack speed is up to the person, some weapons i find "fine" but others find slow. However the defaul skana speed is 0.833 or something, i can't remember exactly. Anything over 0.9 is "fast" and anything under 0.8 is "slow*

Another factor here is the weapon class and stance have a big impact here.  Compare a 1.1 speed hammer with Crushing Ruin vs. a .9 speed S&S with Final Harbinger and the hammer feels crazy slow by comparison. 

I like Xandy's 'one build to rule them all' to start with for basic modding.  It's just a starting point (and despite the title he's really clear about that in the video) but he gives a good rundown of how the multipliers combine and what a good generic starting point tends to be.  There's a TON of room to modify to taste (most of my melee builds are full of weird mods like Enduring Affliction ... that's part of the fun of Warframe, it has a little Magic: The Gathering in it) and a lot of weapons have quirks...but having a solid template to start with and an understanding of how they interact never hurts!

Top builds for crit weapons worth using will look something like this: pressure point, reach, organ shatter, bloodrush, berserker, drifting contact, 90% elemental. 

Status builds will typically want condition overload and weeping wounds but this will vary by weapon. 

The top build for the atterax is hybrid using both crit (bloodrush, organ shatter) status mods (condition overload, weeping wounds) and maiming strike.