Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion: Chroma use all the energy color options to get new elemental Powers as an option

0zryel

Hello, I just recently came back to Warframe and found out about these new wonderful color options so OBVIOUSLY I though of Chroma master of the elements and colors! I try looking for a resent post, as probably I may not be the first to bring this up...but could not find any, so apologies in advance if its a repeat (Also I like to support the existing idea if it was previously posted so please point me to the right direction and I will give my vote for sure😏

So as the title suggest I thought as a simple humble suggestion for Chroma:

Have him be able to not only get elements from the main energy color but maybe with the other energy colors, to command/mix how these elements will behave as optional for does who like to keep it simple.

Example:

Green+Red=you get a Gas elemental damage and maybe a buff that makes you invisible?

OR is that to basic... maybe use all the 4 new energy colors and go crazy... like make your flames behave like electric damage jumping from target to target and if you have blast damage in your color combination make corpses explode as they die.

Or if you want to keep it tactical you can go full corrosive and magnetic that can give a buff to you and team, that lowers both armor and shield of enemies.

Or even create new effects like draining life/shields/armor or taking away Nullify shields and turn them into energy, a bullet magnet, or mini-black hole? Or make enemies explode with viral gas dmg etc...

It be like Chroma was a Riven Warframe but you control how crazy you want to go... as you can turn off all the other secondary effects of the other colors, so if players want to keep it simple or to a minimum elemental combination they can. 

I know it sounds silly or OP as I'm not a developer or a pro to figure numbers, energy drain or balance etc... but it would give us hours of fun customization options and experimentation...But I suggest it be fully optional as I know a lot of players already happy with their one elemental built.

Anyway I just want to post it, maybe some readers could refine the idea or parts of it, or could think of the rest for this suggestion to work or think of a better one!

I'm sure DE has a lot on their plate but like I said its just a suggestion that came to me as I was playing. Right know I'm so in love with my Umbra Excalibur I cant tear myself away from him...unless another Umbra pops up....hmmm wink* wink* lol (joking) 😉😳 

Excalibur Umbra has turn out to be the NPC partner/teacher (as sometimes the AI does some really good moves that I never tried/seen before) to watch my back in the battlefield.

Thank you your time. Ill see ya on Warframe! 👋😊

PS: Apologies in advance if my English comes out to forward, literal or just odd, as its not my first language. 

Sincerely Ozzie 

Edited by 0zryel

i don't want to sound like a downer but the benefits that Elemental Ward offers with its 4 sides as it is leaves much to be desired for interesting mechanics (or just even being useful at all).
let alone adding more sides to it.

• Like 1

People already hate the fact that you have to sacrifice your energy color just to get the element you want for Chroma, I don't think any of them wants DE to double down on that by making secondary energy colors enable compound elements.

You do make valid points! 👍😊

My suggestion is far from anything perfect and I do agree that the energy color should be an option and not mandatory. I mean we all know Fashionframe is the TRUE endgame! (lol Joking) 😜

Anyway I just wanted to post the idea maybe someone with more insight or experience on the game and Chroma could think of something better to use the extra color without sacrificing what we already have.

I mean its Chroma his name means Literally color! This cool badboy should be lizard king of all colorful fashionframe and all the elements! I even have my Umbra mimic him with the chromatic mod! 😎

Ehem sorry I get over hype and it comes out too much...lol

Thank you for taking time to read... If you come up with new ideas let me know and Ill support you as the best ideas come out when creative minds come together as a team! 😃

Edited by 0zryel

I have three main points of concern regarding this suggestion:

1. As others have mentioned, players already dislike tuning their cosmetics around gameplay, an issue this would exacerbate.
  2. Adding complex elemental types would make Chroma's elemental configurations jump from 4 to 10, which means adding a whole bunch of extra mechanics to Elemental Ward, many of which are unlikely to see any real use due to the damage type they're associated with.
  3. Complex elements are generally far more desirable than the basic four, with Corrosive, Radiation, and Viral (and, to a lesser extent, Gas) being ubiquitous in our builds. Unless the Corrosive Elemental Ward effect is crap at applying procs or deals intentionally sub-part damage, both of which would be counterintuitive, or unless some other effect is even better (which generates the same problem), there is unlikely to be any reason for Chroma not to stick to that effect all the time.

I think the intent itself is good, because Chroma being the elemental master would make more sense if he in fact had access to every element, but I feel implementing it by doubling down on Chroma's cosmetics-to-gameplay passive is the opposite direction that should be taken. Additionally, the added mechanics from Elemental Ward complicate the issue further, which to me suggests that there needs to be a rework to the way Chroma's elemental affinity works. Personally, I'd like to see Chroma choose which element to equip on the fly, in exchange for some more simplified version of his elemental abilities (e.g. changes the damage type of his abilities, applies status procs, maybe also renders him immune to damage and status of that type).

• Like 1

I usually am 100% against mixing stats with fashion but in this case, unless DE actually makes it possible to pick the element without picking the color, I must agree this would be a greater good than a downside. As for the energy utility in his abilities, I'd just tinker the abilities that use it in order to make Chroma his best version, and add new elemental boons with the new possible elements. Chroma should have access to them all either way, attached to the chosen color or not.

• Like 1

After playing since Update 12 and seeing them add powers with wheels to toggle between, I think this is what they should do with Chroma, personally (Just my two cents.)

First, remove the color dependency for his elemental alignment. With the changes to colors and how we can apply them, his energy is no longer the deciding factor in hsi color alignment and I think they should simply remove it (I have been rocking a Chroma with green lightning for a while now.)

Second, change the ability to switch elements mid-game through the use of an ability wheel. Perhaps on Elemental ward, so it refreshes the effect with the new element, that way players can choose which one they need for the right moment rather than picking one they think they might need (i.e. Fire for Health, Electricity for Shields, etc...)

Third, if my second option is impossible to add in via the coding of his powers, perhaps simply combine Elemental Ward and Vex Armor, since most players activate them at the same time usually anyway. I think upping his energy cost to 75 for this combined power should offset the possibly overpowered nature this combination might provide. Instead, maybe they could then simply make his power 2 or 3 a simple elemental swap all on it's own.

Overall, I love Chroma, and while I think the OP has a cool idea on allowing combined elements, I think this would simply nearly impossible for the coders to do and like others said, woudl negate the effects of letting the player customize their own frame to their heart's content.

Just my two cents as an avid Chroma player myself.

Edited by Zzaarreell
Forgot to add in required info
  • Like 2

Wow, this is really insightful! This suggestion are really good for a Chroma re-work! 💪

On 2019-06-04 at 11:48 AM, Zzaarreell said:

After playing since Update 12 and seeing them add powers with wheels to toggle between, I think this is what they should do with Chroma, personally (Just my two cents.)

First, remove the color dependency for his elemental alignment. With the changes to colors and how we can apply them, his energy is no longer the deciding factor in hsi color alignment and I think they should simply remove it (I have been rocking a Chroma with green lightning for a while now.)

Second, change the ability to switch elements mid-game through the use of an ability wheel. Perhaps on Elemental ward, so it refreshes the effect with the new element, that way players can choose which one they need for the right moment rather than picking one they think they might need (i.e. Fire for Health, Electricity for Shields, etc...)

Third, if my second option is impossible to add in via the coding of his powers, perhaps simply combine Elemental Ward and Vex Armor, since most players activate them at the same time usually anyway. I think upping his energy cost to 75 for this combined power should offset the possibly overpowered nature this combination might provide. Instead, maybe they could then simply make his power 2 or 3 a simple elemental swap all on it's own.

Overall, I love Chroma, and while I think the OP has a cool idea on allowing combined elements, I think this would simply nearly impossible for the coders to do and like others said, woudl negate the effects of letting the player customize their own frame to their heart's content.

Just my two cents as an avid Chroma player myself.

I specially like what you mention about the switch elements mid-game (He could be a Dragonic Avatar when it comes to fighting switching and combining elements) and combine Elemental Ward and Vex Armor👍

The freedom to chose color without tying it to an specific element is a must, then! 👍 Also, as a Chromatic Dragon theme Warframe it would not affect the concept of he being master of all the Elements...as in myth fantasy Dragons are known for their innate ability to command the elements through their breath. I think Skyrym actually take this fact literally with the PC and the Dragons he face or the different way they use their Breath. SO I do agree that Chroma re-work should be all about his mastery/adaptability/binding over all the elements in the battle field be it offence or defense, like in his original description: "An ancient legend, master of the elements. When all the land is in ruins, Tenno, only Chroma will remain" 

This are all really good suggestion thank you very much guys for your experience input and suggestion on the matter. If DE ever decides to revisit at some point in the future, for a re-work on Chroma at least they know what a few players would like to see change or added to our Dragon Elemental Overlord. 😊

Hail the King of Monster! Errr wrong lizard... (Sorry could not resist specially with Godzilla movie out...lol😜

Edited by 0zryel

3 hours ago, Dark_Chroma_Prime said:

Before suggesting that how about suggesting a build which fixes the present Chroma? 

What's wrong with the present Chroma? A lot of players have solid and great built for it, I see the Warframe being use all the time in different mission too! My suggestion is only for a *possibility* to add or update/re-work the current Chroma we have if DE team decides at some point to revisit our Dragon King, like some of the preview post suggested by others. I'm not suggesting to create a build to *fix* anything, I'm not DE. lol 😏

Unless you have something specific in mind that Chroma can't do with its basic color elemental Builds, that haven't been already posted here, on youtube or guides online? 😮

Edited by 0zryel

On 2019-06-03 at 5:02 AM, 0zryel said:

Have him be able to not only get elements from the main energy color but maybe with the other energy colors, to command/mix how these elements will behave as optional for does who like to keep it simple.

As a lot of people have pointed out, giving Chroma a real Passive and letting him use his chromatic changes with his actual abilities in game is an immensely better option.

But to answer a quick question:

18 hours ago, 0zryel said:

What's wrong with the present Chroma?

There is currently only one ability that the vast majority of players use Chroma for, and that's Vex Armour. A few players, if they need something tougher, will use his Elemental Ward on Fire or Ice, but that's about it.

The other buffs from Elemental Ward are negligible, Spectral Scream is an animation-locked 1 ability that prevents his energy regen and deals mediocre damage even with his Vex buff in effect. His 4 is, in one way, actively detrimental to the builds you would use by cutting your base armour, in another way it's detrimental to his regular gameplay by draining energy, and its effects on enemies are spread thin so that it tries to do a little of everything and ends up not achieving much at all.

While Vex is a good damage and survivability function, a frame is in a sad state when it is only saved by one ability and the others are entirely optional for play in any situation.

Having him able to change his elemental type on the fly is the first step.

Switch Spectral Scream to a cone-of-effect burst that has low base damage, but high base Status to inflict those procs and clear up trash mobs when Vex is active.

With the effects of his 2 now rotational, we can streamline each to specific effects and results you want to achieve. For example, strip off the damage and status auras that affect enemies, the damage is negligible at best, and the Status is now covered by his 1. Strengthen the direct buff effects on Chroma, for example Ice has an armour buff and damage reflect, swap that to a percentage based damage reduction and a better damage reflect. With Fire you can ditch the damage for a Health buff and small regen (small, we're not talking Oberon, Nidus or Wisp here). Toxin can buff movement speed, reload and attack speed while Electric can boost max shields and allow Shield Regen to create Overshields (since Overshields prevent shield bypass damage like Bleed from affecting Health).

As a point, the ability has to be re-cast to apply the new effects, but you can recast before end of Duration so you can swap back and forth if you need to. And there'd be less call for Eternal Ward usage, because that's a band-aid augment and needs replacing.

And Effigy needs desperate streamlining. For example it gains his new 1 as well, but ditch the credit boost and knock-back functions from it in order to make it a Buff Banner. You can leave Effigy at a location and your allies in range of it get whatever buffs you have running on Chroma, meaning your buff-dragon can be in two places at once for support purposes and to raise team damage even if the Chroma player has to keep moving or leave the area.

It would kind of be a nice way to use the Augment, because you could cast the ability and then send it across to a new location to be a buff at that point while you stay where you are...

In any case, there's lots we can fix with Chroma. Just because people are able to use him, doesn't mean he's in a good place.

• Like 1

Wow, this is actually really good feedback! Thank you guys for taking the time to read, reply, give useful information and criticism on Chroma! This will become very useful and handy in the future... just wait and see! 👋😉