Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we have the audio of the Gauss video re-recorded.

Prexades

9 hours ago, (PS4)Shelneroth said:

I belive "I think therefore I am" and the self excistence it represents is proveable. However it is only proveable by an individual to temself. It is actully the only thing I consider to be certain. The basic notion goes that no matter how much, or in what manner, you try to doubt your (or everythings) excistence you are always confronted with the fact that something is doubting. Some people say this doesn't prove you excist but only that something excists. To that a I say pishposh.

It's actually not that simple. If you've been following some of the new thoughts (honestly old thoughts in general, but new-ish in the scientific commuity) in regards to consciousness vs matter, a paradigm-shift is soon bound to happen. Very, very TL;DR version is - Consciousness seems to not be generated from matter, but rather consciousness generates matter, and matter (particularly our brain) is more like an "antenna" for our self-conscious experience to occur in ourselves.

So while "I think and therefore I am" seems very clear to the individual itself, doesn't mean that it's the actual reality of things. It does indeed seem like complete mumbojumbo (and I haven't really accepted it myself, especially since more research needs to be done with it), but I try to be as openminded as possible with these things. Because, you know, we humans have been wrong so many times before, who's to say we can't be wrong once more?

10 hours ago, elmetnuter said:

Look, i am french living in the US and my name is from seventeen hundred era old Provencal french. Nobody pronounces it correctly but I don't spend my time correcting people on Facebook or claiming they don't respect me for that.

Have you ever heard anybody pronouncing "Bauhaus" correctly?

10 pages for that... 🙄

I've heard it pronounced correctly MANY times. But on the other hand, I live in Europe, hehe.

As for the whole debatte about how something should or should not be pronounced; I think ignorance/incapability and respect needs to be considered, moreso on a product such as a game: To put it in a simple flow:

• Do you know how X thing is supposed to be pronounced?
    • Yes - Then try to do pronounce it the best you can, out of respect. If you can't (hard time with pronounciation, a seemingly common problem), fine, that's just how things go. If you CAN do it right with minimal effort, but still don't, you're just being disrespectful.
    • No - Then pronounce it the way you think it's pronounced (based on its spelling and whatnot). If you want to be more respecful though, research it.

Yes, languages morph and all that, but that shouldn't be a wholesale excuse to be lazy with our languages, considering it can lead to various misunderstandings and such.

And I think Rebecca KNOWS how it's supposed to sound. So the way she mispronounces multiple words in the game implies that either she (or someone else higher up) is being disrespectful by willingly changing it (or by being told to say it differently), or she is just not very good with pronounciation of more "exotic" words. To me, it seems more like the latter, to be honest (considering how many people I've met with similar issues). BUT, then I think there should be more effort into training her how to say things right, considering what a frontfigure she is for the game - to be professional and respectful about it all, you know?

On a more "personal" level though, how Gauss is mispronounced doesn't fuss me particularly much, since it's at least how some English people tend to pronounce it, so it's not a pronounciation that is completely unheard of. Titania, same deal - it's a very "easy-to-americanize" kind of name (even for myself, who has a relatively easy time with pronounciations). Orokin though... she changes the stress of the word. And that, for some reason, bothers me more than the others.

All in all, the errors in themselves aren't too bad for me on a "personal" level, but the inconsistencies they create as a whole, in regards to it all as a "product", do bother me a tad. It feels... sloppy and unprofessional.

Edited by Azamagon

17 minutes ago, Azamagon said:

It's actually not that simple. If you've been following some of the new thoughts (honestly old thoughts in general, but new-ish in the scientific commuity) in regards to consciousness vs matter, a paradigm-shift is soon bound to happen. Very, very TL;DR version is - Consciousness seems to not be generated from matter, but rather consciousness generates matter, and matter (particularly our brain) is more like an "antenna" for our self-conscious experience to occur in ourselves.

So while "I think and therefore I am" seems very clear to the individual itself, doesn't mean that it's the actual reality of things. It does indeed seem like complete mumbojumbo (and I haven't really accepted it myself, especially since more research needs to be done with it), but I try to be as openminded as possible with these things. Because, you know, we humans have been wrong so many times before, who's to say we can't be wrong once more?

Nice I hadn't heard of this. It sounds like total bunk, but if it's where the evidence leads you got to follow. I suppose the new normal always sounds ridiculous at first. Until it was sufficently provern it was the right stance to consider the Earth orbiting the Sun nonesense.   

6 hours ago, (NSW)Drake_Remorea said:

And you're the wilfully ignorant?

I'm guessing that's what you mean because otherwise that makes no sense. You say it in a sentence, only a sentence. Like it is supposed to mean something???? 

Either way I was just saying you're wrong to say DE pronounces their name wrong. 

Also you didn't say that, you said that they're the wilfully ignorant and the uneducated. You didn't contrast them as you are doing now...

Correct, you are willfully ignorant as is Will from DE that insists it be pronounced as it is/was. The Warframe is named after the scientist/mathematician.  Every knowledgeable, educated person on the planet knows how the name is pronounced. YOU clearly do not. Yay you.