Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gauss is really fun (but...)

JackHargreav

I really like this warframe. Dodging around with his 1st ability is very satisfying. Running through big corridors and open areas is also fantastic.

At the same time I can't understand why his 2nd ability works like this. It's his only defensive ability and it doesn't give you DR like every other frame does. It's unique but not a reliable ability.

Other than that I can't put down this frame. His speed is very addicting. I hope DE will change his 2nd ability, that alone would make Gauss much better in my opinion.

I also wonder what others think about his 2nd ability. So what do you think?

His 2 does give damage reduction and is incredibly good.
At max rank, it'll give between 20% and 100% DR based on the battery level. Increase Power Strength increases this so you actually reach 100% at a much lower battery level. It's very reliable if you just keep tapping 1, as tapping 1 charges the battery by about 1/4

2 minutes ago, Stormandreas said:

At max rank, it'll give between 20% and 100% DR based on the battery level. Increase Power Strength increases this so you actually reach 100% at a much lower battery level. It's very reliable if you just keep tapping 1, as tapping 1 charges the battery by about 1/4

The problem is that the DR is only against IPS, Heat, Cold, and Blast. This is fine vs. most Grineer, and a little over half the Corpus, but almost useless vs Infested.

It also drains the battery very fast if you come under any sort of sustained fire, making it far less effective in most situations that would need DR.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stormandreas said:

I dunno if that's true. The new NW enemies pretty much oneshoted me in the moment i stopped to aim my gun. And I had the 2nd ability on it's max with adaptation. So it's either not working for me or I'm doing something wrong. (Which wouldn't be the first time)

57 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

I dunno if that's true. The new NW enemies pretty much oneshoted me in the moment i stopped to aim my gun. And I had the 2nd ability on it's max with adaptation. So it's either not working for me or I'm doing something wrong. (Which wouldn't be the first time)

Its only for certain damage types (IPS, heat cold blast). I think the Zealots do viral dont they?

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Stormandreas:

You actually only get 100% damage reduction if the battery is full in redline. Just test it with 300%+ str. and full battery without redline active, you still take damage. From the few tests I've done it seems like DE used something more akin to the following method to calculate how much dmg gets reduced:

If you have Kinetic Plating active and you got no battery charge, it doesn't reduce any damage. I'm not sure if different enemy attacks consume a different amount of said charge, but assuming they don't you get the minimum damage reduction as soon as you have any charge at all. Now, assuming the battery charge is divided into 100 idividual levels, to better visualize it (because I don't actually know the formula that is used here), and we have 20% as the minimum reduction value at 1 battery charge we have 80% dmg reduction to gain in the remaining 99 charges of the battery, so:

• 0 charge = 0% reduction
  • 1 charge = 20% reduction
  • each charge between 1 and 100 charges grants +80/99% reduction
  • 100 charges = 100% reduction

Still with me? If we had 300% pwr. str. the game lists the range as 50-100% dmg. reduction and it would look like this:

• 1 charge = 50% reduction
  • each charge between 1 and 100 charges grants +50/99% reduction

From that we can see that while the starting value is higher at 50% compared to unmodded strength at 20%, you also gain reduced damage reduction per battery charge level. An example at 90% charge level:

100% str.: 20+(80/99)*89 = ~92% dmg reduction

300% str.: 50+(50/99)*89 = ~95% dmg reduction

Doesn't seem worth it to me to mod for str. here with these results. In any case my numbers are propably of a bit or I could be wrong completely wrong. If anyone has more info it would be welcome.

Edited by Xhobract

1 hour ago, Annnoth said:

Its only for certain damage types (IPS, heat cold blast). I think the Zealots do viral dont they?

Toxin and viral. So no wonder i died. But it also really sucks. He would be such an amazing frame otherwise.

Edited by JackHargreav

20 hours ago, (XB1)GaussPrime said:

Yeah, well.. idk.. the reports I'm reading lately makes it really seem like.. an "ok"ish ability..

Oh Lord was I deceived? In my mind enemies only do IPS damage 😂 don't they? I'm scared.

It works against half the star chart. Grineer are the ones who use ips damage a lot. But part of the Corpus uses magnetic and electric damage. Some Amalgams have viral damage. The infested again uses toxic and what not. So basically it's an almost garbage ability at least in my opinion. The ability draining your meter and needing constant mach rush spamming doesn't help this ability either. (I also died not once because of a slash proc from tusk shield lancer. Slash procs doesn't seem to affected by DR at all.)

Overall I would be much much more forgiving if this ability wouldn't need so much attention to make it worth it.

It's a shame really because Gauss is the first frame that I just don't want to put down. He's that much fun to use. For now he will be used for low lvl missions by me.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Eluminary said:

I did sortie 3 today I was able to keep my battery maxed plating and redline up the whole mission I took zero dmg (end of mission 0%) it works great void mission so all types of enemies...  You do however gotta work for it to maintain everything.    

I tried to do some missions and it seems like moving totally non stop keeps gauss alive very well. I didn't think I have to move that much. Tho i still have to test it more to see if this completelly fixes my problem.

Slap on Adaption and your worries of other damage types disappear, and build more around duration then strength and you can stay red-lined for long times.

Duration>Range>Strength>Efficiency

179>160>155>130 = What my Gauss looks like, he can stay essentially max red line all the time so long as you keep using all of his abilities

Edited by SilvaDreams

23 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

Slap on Adaption and your worries of other damage types disappear, and build more around duration then strength and you can stay red-lined for long times.

179>160>155>130 = What my Gauss looks like, he can stay essentially max red line all the time so long as you keep using all of his abilities

Thanks for the advice! I will try it out.

36 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

yeah mine is kinda similar to this but im at 100 strength and 175 range im using rush instead of cunning drift that build works like a charm especially if u arent constantly trying to charge the battery adaptation is a necessity 

On 2019-09-02 at 5:57 PM, Xhobract said:

You actually only get 100% damage reduction if the battery is full in redline. Just test it with 300%+ str. and full battery without redline active, you still take damage. From the few tests I've done it seems like DE used something more akin to the following method to calculate how much dmg gets reduced:

If you have Kinetic Plating active and you got no battery charge, it doesn't reduce any damage. I'm not sure if different enemy attacks consume a different amount of said charge, but assuming they don't you get the minimum damage reduction as soon as you have any charge at all. Now, assuming the battery charge is divided into 100 idividual levels, to better visualize it (because I don't actually know the formula that is used here), and we have 20% as the minimum reduction value at 1 battery charge we have 80% dmg reduction to gain in the remaining 99 charges of the battery, so:

• 1 charge = 20% reduction
  • each charge between 1 and 100 charges grants +80/99% reduction

Still with me? If we had 300% pwr. str. the game lists the range as 50-100% dmg. reduction and it would look like this:

• 1 charge = 50% reduction
  • each charge between 1 and 100 charges grants +50/99% reduction

From that we can see that while the starting value is higher at 50% compared to unmodded strength at 20%, you also gain reduced damage reduction per battery charge level. An example at 90% charge level:

100% str.: 20+(80/99)*89 = ~92% dmg reduction

300% str.: 50+(50/99)*89 = ~95% dmg reduction

Doesn't seem worth it to me to mod for str. here with these results. In any case my numbers are propably of a bit or I could be wrong completely wrong. If anyone has more info it would be welcome.

Very indepth, though considering I just ran a 1 1/2 hours arbitration with 184 Str, and only died twice versus doing a 50 minute and dying about 5 times, the damage reduction is worth adding a little strength in.
I do suspect the 100% is from adding the Redline battery level, however the DR you get at the redline is still a good chunk higher than without Str, and I did reach 100% faster for just a few seconds longer.

On 2019-09-02 at 1:03 PM, Annnoth said:

And toxin.

On 2019-09-02 at 3:10 PM, (XB1)GaussPrime said:

Yeah, well.. idk.. the reports I'm reading lately makes it really seem like.. an "ok"ish ability..

Oh Lord was I deceived? In my mind enemies only do IPS damage 😂 don't they? I'm scared.

Just look at your weapons and you will figure out the damage type of the enemies.

Grineer are pretty much screwed.

Detron (Rad) and Lanka (Elec) will give full damage to Gauss, but the rest of the crewman will be mitigated/annuled.

Infested only do Magnetic and Toxin (That are not Ospreys) damage if they are being buffed by Toxic and Disruptor Ancients. The MOAs have the tar pool, which does corrosive, but no one wants to step on those because they slow you down anyways.

In all honesty, I wouldnt want to stand still to be hit unless its to use the passive Rage that Kinect Barrier has. And even then I get fidgy because I WANT TO GO FAST DAMNIT!!

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Stormandreas:

Very indepth, though considering I just ran a 1 1/2 hours arbitration with 184 Str, and only died twice versus doing a 50 minute and dying about 5 times, the damage reduction is worth adding a little strength in.
I do suspect the 100% is from adding the Redline battery level, however the DR you get at the redline is still a good chunk higher than without Str, and I did reach 100% faster for just a few seconds longer.

I did some testing and wrote a more detailed post if you are interested.