Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Don't post personal screenshots (ones only you can take)

KIREEK

8 minutes ago, KIREEK said:

This ordeal only makes sense when you understand the differences, there is one in what you just said, tell me for example, how many nodes on the start chart have i cleared?

No, but I can easily dupe it in MS paint if I really wanted to. Shouldn't be too hard to just shift everything down and copy mine across onto yours.

Who cares if its accurate, it's there and thus looks legit, which is apparently the main concern.

9 minutes ago, KIREEK said:

Can you take a screen of my inventory, like resources?

Given that I explicitly expressed awareness that this is private information, why are you asking?

11 minutes ago, KIREEK said:

An arsenal picture doesn't really help anything, not even i can find out who that belongs to

Exactly, so what harm is there actually in sharing them? Quantity is irrelevant, if the buyer asks for another picture of a different loadout the seller isn't going to 'surprised pikachu' face, they'll just mock up another in a couple of seconds.

I don't see anyone wanting to do this actually being deterred by a lack of pictures.

20 minutes ago, KIREEK said:

I'm trying to be helpfull so that when a warlord asks for certain things, you don't dump your entire arsenal content as proof to rank up, especially when certain warlords are related to black market deals.

That's very different to most of the thread, which is "don't post anything remotely sensitive anywhere". You even state that arsenal pictures aren't that big a deal.

So really, it's not "don't post anything anywhere" which I do consider a complete exaggeration of any issue, but, "have some common sense" which I can get on board with.

2 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

So really, it's not "don't post anything anywhere" which I do consider a complete exaggeration of any issue, but, "have some common sense" which I can get on board with.

Yes, that is it

As for photoshop, yes that can be done, but if your caught, you're banned before scamming, so i don't believe anyone does it, but i mean i'm not a machine, things can escape my sight

If the scammer get's a hold on fresh pictures that don't need editing however, they can certainly skip that.

3 minutes ago, KIREEK said:

As for photoshop, yes that can be done, but if your caught, you're banned before scamming, so i don't believe anyone does it, but i mean i'm not a machine, things can escape my sight

If the scammer get's a hold on fresh pictures that don't need editing however, they can certainly skip that.

Surely you stand just as much risk of being caught regardless?

Ultimately, and whilst I do agree with "have some common sense" (like not showing your entire arsenal to a clan you don't really know), if people want to share fashion frame from their arsenal I genuinely don't see the harm, and advising people not too for fear of losing their account to be... well, I said fearmongering earlier but I don't believe that's what you're intentionally going for, but it can be seen that way.

By all means, suggest people be careful, but the sky isn't falling if you share fashion frame or brag about your cryotic reserves. The risk you're putting on your account is... not there.

Click spoiler for a screenshot of my Wukong. It's almost like I don't buy the fear mongering the OP is doing.

Spoiler

Warframe0000.jpg

I will update this post if my account was sold.

Update: It has been a little over a minute and no one has tried to sell my account. What gives?

Edited by Sajochi

1 hour ago, DeMonkey said:

I've seen you say this before, and I... simply don't buy it to be honest.

Anyone can view someone else's profile. I just viewed yours, I saw all the weapons you have and haven't mastered, your hours played, your relationship with the various syndicates... And so what? This is open information.

Inventory and Arsenal, sure, private information, but easily forged. Change my frame and Operator to match yours, post arsenal pictures showing said frame and woohoo, it looks like I'm you.

I can't for one second see DE banning someones account because a picture showing the number of Cryotic they have surfaced on a dodgy website, and I'd really need to see proof to believe it. I also don't believe that this is really an issue, since not posting pictures doesn't exactly stop anyone from pretending your account is theirs.

Honestly just sounds like fearmongering. 

I get that this is your helpful advice, and I genuinely don't see the reason. No, a picture of my profile is not proof of owning my account. No, a picture showing... Wukong in an Arsenal is not proof of it being my specific account, just Wukong in an Arsenal. No, a picture of an inventory is not proof of anything more than an inventories existence. If someone ties all those things together and tries to sell an account, me not posting pictures changes nothing, they can still do it.

And if DE ban accounts for that, then there's nothing I can do about that, but it is a completely screwed up thing to do.

I'd also like to point out that there are plenty of reasons somebody could be taking and sharing screenshots "only you could take". Showing someone a build, fashion set up, remembering something for personal reference etc. Screenshots are shared publicly by default on console.

I have a hard time believing that it would be that easy to get someone else banned. That someone could just grab a few screenshots from your profile, go make a smurf account claiming to have your account for sale and then report it possibly with another smurf account.

5 hours ago, KIREEK said:

It's not an overreaction, hundreds of tickets have been made and some of them are very simple, they contain information of who the account belongs to and that info is sometimes a simple screenshot with the name visible.

The probability of it being the owner i very high, the advice i'm refering to is for that low chance that a scammer is trying to sell something you own, often some kind of founders high MR account, because remember, they can only scam once, so they need something worthwhile with plenty of proof.

I'll give you an example, this was the actual seller and this image is not edited by me, this is how a seller presented his account (i will obviously not state how it was found, you will also not find it since it's gone forever)

https://i.imgur.com/8PLkjsJ.jpg

You may not know who this player is, but i do and this picture was used as proof

Remember this isn't as simple as posting "this topic contains a seller", you need to show support who this player is and show proof, otherwise you cannot use support, you can't just go and report players using the system, you need to be responsible while doing so.

If someone makes a topic and used this screenshot, the owner would be banned, the buyers would be scammed and the seller would keep the non refundable purchase and move on with a banned forum account on the black market, that's the point, to sell without consequences

So what, if you show that screenshot to support and say it appeared on a black market site, boom, that player gets banned? Do you understand how insane that sounds? If that truly happens. and I'm more likely to believe alien conspiracy theories before I believe that, but if that truly happens, it's not because that's how support reacts to such issues, it's because someone in support is on an insane power trip and has to be stopped.

As I said, that's literally taking the nuclear option. Heck, it's even worse than that, cause it implies DE's support has a stance of "Shoot first, ask questions later", combined with the nuclear option. Literally that is not going to happen unless someone in the support team has gone berserk. They have tools to verify the claims, they can't just go around banning people on such flimsy proof. That could be abused to heck and beyond. You don't like a player? Visit their profile in game, take a screenshot and claim they're on a black market site. Boom, player gets banned without having done anything to deserve it.

That's insane, honestly. There's no way that will ever happen. Ever. Not unless something is beyond broken with DE's support staff.

You're just paranoid.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, (XB1)ECCHO SIERRA said:

I have a hard time believing that it would be that easy to get someone else banned. That someone could just grab a few screenshots from your profile, go make a smurf account claiming to have your account for sale and then report it possibly with another smurf account.

Keep in mind that am not forcing this, the sugestion is for those that want to take it.

I often sweep the available topics for the proof required, same for other players and support themselves, it's always a joke, until it isn't and accounts are removed.

This isn't a common practice, most accounts being sold are either hijacked from players or are actual owners, but sometimes you get exactly what i'm saying, someone uses your images to sell something they don't own, worst case scenario the owner is punished.

6 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

So what, if you show that screenshot to support and say it appeared on a black market site, boom, that player gets banned? Do you understand how insane that sounds? If that truly happens. and I'm more likely to believe alien conspiracy theories before I believe that, but if that truly happens, it's not because that's how support reacts to such issues, it's because someone in support is on an insane power trip and has to be stopped.

Dude, it has been like this for years

The intention is there, the pictures are there and the name can be found, 1,2,3 the account gets removed.

You may think this is new, but i haven't been using support since yesterday.

You made the mistake of "visiting the profile", because those do not count as proof, why do you think i'm giving the sugestion?

Edited by KIREEK

58 minutes ago, KIREEK said:

Dude, it has been like this for years

Which is why there is literally no outcry anywhere about this... Yup. Checks out.

Now kindly stop trying to scare new players that don't know any better, or you will be the one reported.

Edited by HugintheCrow
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, HugintheCrow said:

Which is why there is literally no outcry anywhere about this... Yup. Checks out.

Now kindly stop trying to scare new players that don't know any better, or you will be the one reported.

You seriously don't understand, it does happen, rarely, but it does

I'm giving a sugestion based on what i have seen, it's obvious that for players that do not care or have 0 concern this sounds odd, as for reporting me, you are free to do so, at your own risk and consequences.

My intentions are good, especially for newer players

Sometimes i wonder if certain players have a lose screw or if they act like a child on purpose, pretending not to understand the entire system, it's like this offended you in some way to the point of lecturing someone who does this often

I'm not making the sugestion just because i felt like it, i saw and i see this happen from time to time.

Edited by KIREEK

1 hour ago, Rasdan said:

Damn, and i thought Riven Mafia clans were the worst.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be really careful when looking for clans.

I only know one clan so it's not like it's the end of the world, you just need to have common sense not to dump an entire collection of images when a warlord requests something.

Not sure why some clan founders need screenshots from theyre members.. they could just open chat and type /profile PLAYERNAME and take all screenshots by themself.

I could right now check your profile and take screenshot of everything including all xpbased items you have syndicate progress you made or enemys you scanned..

And this is the reason why DE wont ban you because of a screenshot. DE has way more technics to verifie if an account got sold. 

8 hours ago, CpT-LaZeR said:

Not sure why some clan founders need screenshots from theyre members.. they could just open chat and type /profile PLAYERNAME and take all screenshots by themself.

I could right now check your profile and take screenshot of everything including all xpbased items you have syndicate progress you made or enemys you scanned..

And this is the reason why DE wont ban you because of a screenshot. DE has way more technics to verifie if an account got sold. 

The screens differ from guest to owner

The reason such a thing would result in nothing is because you are simply verifying another player profile, the proof support often uses is the screens from inside the account, like arsenal, inventory (which may include a self player name checking on the top corner) and the profile, which is unique to the owner.

You cannot see the star chart completion and you can also invite me.

That is why scammers will not sell something under family and friends and then post a simple profile pic of a player they saw, no one would take them seriously, that is why they sometimes seek what only the owner can provide.

The reason i know this is because sometimes other users recognize the images and the scammers attempt falls short.

A unique situation that happened in the past (another player reported a founder), the proof sent to support was  the pictures you said you could take, but the scammer deleted the buttons at the bottom, the reason the account got unbanned was because later on support realized that the cut wasn't done right and 3 white lines were in the image, the lines are from the exit, send message and invite buttons, so it couldn't have been the owner to sell the account.

I have hundreds of tickets made with said screens as proof, that's how support deals with it. (images from owners perspective)

The sugestion i'm giving is to decrease the chances of said images landing on a topic made by a random player, because said images are on ocasion used and the reason they don't get reported is merely tied with the fact that there is no lead to identify the seller, but among the many nuked accounts it's very well possible that some were nuked without having the seller being the owner.

A few images aren't going to cause problems, but a warlord can request them for you to rank up and while it's allowed, it does raise the question as to what is the final use of said images, especially if the warlord engages in black market activities.

So no you can't just do /profile <playername>, at the very most support would read the ticket with said image and would place the account on watch, so that a simple ip or email change triggers the rest of the procedures, but on a report that warrants a player ban, you need conclusive proof.

Edited by KIREEK
  • Like 1