Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwave... 6 different perfect animal captures on valis

Argenex

First of all, I want to mention that the whole mining, fishing, and animal thing I utterly abhor, we are space ninjas, not blacksmiths and chefs in world of warcraft.

If I really need some ore, I should just shoot a rock or something... I do have what, over a thousand guns to chose from?

Also it blows my mind that we need fish guts to make a stabbing weapon, I've still never understood the logic behind that.

I am not alone in this sentiment, everyone of my friends thinks its silly and absurd as well, it forced several to quit and the rest refuse to go near plains / valis because

of it.

This Nightwave task, is needlessly complex, not fun at all, and a chore. You are basically down to 4 that you can probably easily perfect capture,

while the other 3 choices are either next to impossible or require a hidden gimmick.

1. The Stover is nigh-impossible to capture perfect, as it takes 3 tranq shots, which immediately means a less than perfect score. Not to mention after the first one it immediately starts beating on you even THOUGH YOU ARE INVISIBLE ON IVARA.
  2. Here we are well over a year later after Valis was dropped, and the Sawgrass STILL HAS NO COLLISION BOXES OR THEY ARE BROKEN AS HELL. Takes 7 to 8 tranq shots to actually hit its derpy-collision box. Again, its pure RNG if you'll ever get a "perfect" score on this one.
  3. Bolarolas... where the hell are these things? After spending an hour running to each pile of poop, touching the poop, and running to each larger pile of poop, I still have yet to find any. I've tried all the crater locations. Not to mention I know that the only way to perfect capture the thing is to get a lucky shot on its belly. I've read that there is some sort of gimmick with shooting in it in the tail while it's moving, yea ok whatever. Oh look, RNG for RNG for your RNG while you RNG.
  4. The calling mechanic... still makes no sense what so ever. I should just press a button and it makes a call sound, not try to move my 6k dpi mouse with my permanently messed up wrists to get some extremely sensitive bar to move perfectly in-line with an arbitrary symbol. At least you guys learned with mining to stop forcing us to draw penis symbols to get ore, please remove the need to move the mouse from the calling and my wrists will thank you.

I've now wasted about 3 hours on it and I am so displeased that I think I will just abandon it and never do it again. Fortunately I have no need to do this what so ever, ever again.

26 minutes ago, Argenex said:

Also it blows my mind that we need fish guts to make a stabbing weapon, I've still never understood the logic behind that.

For all we know the liquids produced in the fishes guts are particularly good at protecting the fabric binds from weathering.

32 minutes ago, Argenex said:

This Nightwave task, is needlessly complex, not fun at all, and a chore. You are basically down to 4 that you can probably easily perfect capture, while the other 3 choices are either next to impossible or require a hidden gimmick.

Remember that each rarity of animal counts as separate, so there're 12 (4x3) "easily perfect capture" options.

28 minutes ago, Argenex said:
  1. Bolarolas... where the hell are these things? After spending an hour running to each pile of poop, touching the poop, and running to each larger pile of poop, I still have yet to find any. I've tried all the crater locations. Not to mention I know that the only way to perfect capture the thing is to get a lucky shot on its belly. I've read that there is some sort of gimmick with shooting in it in the tail while it's moving, yea ok whatever. Oh look, RNG for RNG for your RNG while you RNG.

"Lucky shot on its belly".  Sure, because consistently targeting an area on the animal isn't skill based or anything.

29 minutes ago, Argenex said:
  1. The calling mechanic... still makes no sense what so ever. I should just press a button and it makes a call sound, not try to move my 6k dpi mouse with my permanently messed up wrists to get some extremely sensitive bar to move perfectly in-line with an arbitrary symbol. At least you guys learned with mining to stop forcing us to draw penis symbols to get ore, please remove the need to move the mouse from the calling and my wrists will thank you.

An accessibility option would be nice, one that I can ignore because I don't mind matching the bar.

As for Sawgaws, they do need to be fixed.  With Stovers it's just a matter of knowing not to bother with them for this particular NW challenge, and as stated even you consider 12 options as easily perfect captures (whereas I consider 15 because I include Bolarolas).

35 minutes ago, Argenex said:

This Nightwave task, is needlessly complex, not fun at all, and a chore.

Yup, welcome the NW system that results from people complaining about difficulty all the while forgetting they don't need to do all the challenges to get all the notable rewards (which you at least seem not to be making the mistake of - "Fortunately I have no need to do this what so ever").

59 minutes ago, Argenex said:

The Stover is nigh-impossible to capture perfect, as it takes 3 tranq shots, which immediately means a less than perfect score. Not to mention after the first one it immediately starts beating on you even THOUGH YOU ARE INVISIBLE ON IVARA.

I don't remember if the tranquil rifle is silenced, but Ivara trivializes this whole conservation thing with her sleep arrow (except Sawgrass, f that one). It barely takes 20 min to tackle this challenge with her.

Edited by (PS4)Quantaminum
  • Like 1

Oh geez, so the different sub versions of each count... Since that is the case then the game interface should give us some way to track that, not excited about writing down Animal + Sub versions of each that I capture.

I went back and tried after Jiminez_Burial responded, got a different Horrasques than the one I got before, and that counted!

Also I thought Ivara's sleep arrow was nerfed along with Equinox's sleep?

I did try to hit a sawgrass with a sleep arrow and nothing happened. But then again the Sawgrass all appear to be multi-dimensional.

Edited by Argenex

By far the Sawgaws are the single reason why I tend to just quit this challenge, time and time again every single time on the poorly  made OV, DE NEVER fixed this ridiculous bug that should have been a simple fix but to DE no they can't be bothered. That won't stop these people from putting it as a reoccurring high level challenge for nightwave though.  The flying capture targets are bad enough as it is but to add in a completely broken hit box to boot, that's just insulting and the fact that the tranq dart vanishes into thin air after maybe 20 feet makes catching these ridiculous things nigh impossible.  On top of that DE nerfing frame abilities but not making the dart gun mechanic any better aside from giving you 2 whole extra darts versus its initial inception, such a joke!

These things have been in the game for how long now DE, how long do you people intend on delaying this quite honestly easy fix and quality of life FIX that will make this challenge an actual challenge rather then an impossible task?  knowing DE and how lazy they are never as with all things.

1 hour ago, Argenex said:

Oh geez, so the different sub versions of each count... Since that is the case then the game interface should give us some way to track that, not excited about writing down Animal + Sub versions of each that I capture.

Yes. Sub-species of animals will count.... most of the time. Its a bit buggy. There are only 3 sub-species of any given animal in Orb Vallis. However, sometimes for this challenge, if you get a perfect capture on the same sub-species of an animal, it will end up counting towards the nightwave challenge. Not sure why it does that, but kind of funny.

Also I thought Ivara's sleep arrow was nerfed along with Equinox's sleep?

So what was originally done by DE for conservation, Ivara was allowed perfect captures on sleep arrows, so long as you hit the animal directly with the sleep arrow. Hotfix 24.2.5 - "Ivara’s Sleep Arrow now grants a ‘Perfect Capture’ if the shot is a direct hit. The farther off your shot the more distressed the animal gets."

So that was original intention. However, DE ended up bugging their own code. Whichever update brought in the Plains Remaster, accidentally allowed Equinox's sleep to work as well again (and probably Baruuk's). The wiki article on conservation needs a bit of updating.

I did try to hit a sawgrass with a sleep arrow and nothing happened. But then again the Sawgrass all appear to be multi-dimensional.

The hitbox on the sawgaw is still broken yes. It needs to be fixed. However, to hit it with a sleep arrow, you navigate the sleep arrow directly into the feet of the sawgaw/into the spot at wherever it is standing still. The hitbox of the sawgaw is just below its visual model (give or take), it's a bit funky.

Video to show you what I mean, perfect capture too.

Yes, Ivara's sleep arrow does work on other animals too (Special note about kubrodons however. Kubrodons are coded up as boss type characters and so they gain ability resistance to sleep. So need to mod for high duration on Ivara's sleep arrow, because the UI on the sleep arrow timer is messed up. Its supposed to be 50% of duration, but its actually 25% of your duration instead). See spoilers below.

Spoiler

For example, Stover capture with Ivara's sleep arrow (1 arrow):  (again, yes this works on other animals. special note of Kubrodons down below)

My extremely long winded bug report on Ivara's sleep arrow UI timer which is supposed to be 50% instead of 25% on Kubrodons. Its long winded and boring, so you can skip reading it if you want. It turns out, this issue isn't specific to Kubrodons, but all boss-type characters whenever you use Ivara's sleep arrow on them. It's an Ivara sleep arrow boss type specific type of bug.

Edited by BlindStalker
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, AJman14 said:

Equinox's sleep works on animals, and is pretty much a guaranteed perfect capture. It's 10x easier than trying to stealth Ivara the thing. Also makes it easy to catch multiple animals like Pobbers.

The problem with that is that you can't cloak as Equinox and for sawgaws I can see that making staying hidden impossible.

8 minutes ago, Hawk1911 said:

The problem with that is that you can't cloak as Equinox and for sawgaws I can see that making staying hidden impossible.

You can literally sleep the sawgaw. It doesn't matter if you aren't invisible. It works even better for them because the hitbox issue is completely dissolved.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AJman14 said:

You can literally sleep the sawgaw. It doesn't matter if you aren't invisible. It works even better for them because the hitbox issue is completely dissolved.

I'll give it another go, I gave up on using her after DE took away the ability to sleep the animals and get perfect.

15 hours ago, Hawk1911 said:

I'll give it another go, I gave up on using her after DE took away the ability to sleep the animals and get perfect.

Get baruuk.   Just as good with max range + max duration and a touch of efficiency.   Just wait to see them and put'm to sleep. No tranc needed.  :)

16 hours ago, Hawk1911 said:

It's definitely worth it. I've never gotten less than perfect using Equinox. I got Equinox Prime just for animal catching, because I still need to farm the basic Equinox... hmm.

19 hours ago, AJman14 said:

It's definitely worth it. I've never gotten less than perfect using Equinox. I got Equinox Prime just for animal catching, because I still need to farm the basic Equinox... hmm.

You can get less than perfect with equinox, but only if they see you. You need to stand a bit out of the way.