Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Having eye troubles after playing Warframe

GaussVakarian

Hello there.

I started playing Warframe about two weeks ago, I have about 45h in it. In last couple of days I noticed that my right eye get bloodshot after playing Warframe. Warframe is currently the only game I have installed, but before it I played Project Cars 2, and I would run 2h long races in one sitting without any issues.

I turned off motion blur, bloom, depth of field, film grain, color correction, gpu particles. AA is on medium. FOV is at max value.

Vsync is on, so the fps is locked at 60.

Is there anything else I can do?

On the side note, I wear contact lenses. I have prescribed eye drops that I use couple of times per day. About a month ago I had a regular check with my ophthalmologist and all was good.

6 minutes ago, vettelcopter said:

Hello there.

I started playing Warframe about two weeks ago, I have about 45h in it. In last couple of days I noticed that my right eye get bloodshot after playing Warframe. Warframe is currently the only game I have installed, but before it I played Project Cars 2, and I would run 2h long races in one sitting without any issues.

I turned off motion blur, bloom, depth of field, film grain, color correction, gpu particles. AA is on medium. FOV is at max value.

On the side note, I wear contact lenses. I have prescribed eye drops that I use couple of times per day. About a month ago I had a regular check with my ophthalmologist and all was good.

45h playing time in 2 weeks? lol I think you need to break more, you're going too hard 😛

9 minutes ago, vettelcopter said:

Hello there.

Do you have a fan pointed at you while you play? Do you remember to blink? 

50 minutes ago, Yxivi said:

That's a health related question. I think only your doctor can answer that.

Well yeah, but it does not happen in other games. Maybe it has something to do with the pace of the game and all of the explosions and stuff.

48 minutes ago, ALCHElVlY said:

45h playing time in 2 weeks? lol I think you need to break more, you're going too hard 😛

I just checked, it's about 3 weeks when I started, so it's not that bad 😄

46 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Do you have a fan pointed at you while you play? Do you remember to blink? 

No fans. As for blinking, well isnt that supposed to be automatic? 🙂

29 minutes ago, Baterial said:

your eyes may net be used to longer gaming sessions. I personally sit more than 12 hours in front of my pc and bloodshoted eyes is regular occurance. Buy eyedrops or visit doctor and ask which type you might need.

Well I never had those issues with other games and I'm used to binge playing games.

to put in perspective, 45hrs in two weeks is about the same amount of hours a part-time job would require.

If that number is on the profile screen then it's just the amount of time inside mission, not including the amount of time you are in the ship, so the real number would be higher.

so yeah, u play a little bit too much in a short amount of time here man, try spread out your play time, take more break in between, and don't play over 1hr continuously once per week.

About setting recommendation, i would say turn off V-Sync, it could make u have delays on mouse movement later on. Slide down brightness and contrast slider to about 45-50% of the bar and keep them close to each other (this is the only thing i could think of that might improve u eye, make time less tired). Turn ON Depth of field, Adaptive exposure, and High dynamic range if your computer can handle all without major lagging. The particles effect slider won't matter much.

18 minutes ago, FireSegment said:

to put in perspective, 45hrs in two weeks is about the same amount of hours a part-time job would require.

If that number is on the profile screen then it's just the amount of time inside mission, not including the amount of time you are in the ship, so the real number would be higher.

so yeah, u play a little bit too much in a short amount of time here man, try spread out your play time, take more break in between, and don't play over 1hr continuously once per week.

About setting recommendation, i would say turn off V-Sync, it could make u have delays on mouse movement later on. Slide down brightness and contrast slider to about 45-50% of the bar and keep them close to each other (this is the only thing i could think of that might improve u eye, make time less tired). Turn ON Depth of field, Adaptive exposure, and High dynamic range if your computer can handle all without major lagging. The particles effect slider won't matter much.

I checked the date, and I started playing on February 11, so closer to 3 weeks now. The number of hours is from Steam, and it says I have 47h total, 34h in last two weeks.

I'll see if I have those option turned on, I'm pretty sure HDR is on, but my monitor does not support it, so I don't know if it's doing anything. I was googling about this and some people suggested to turn off depth of field so I disabled it.

Will change brightness and contrast to see if it will improve, they are on default values.

28 minutes ago, FireSegment said:

A part time job isn't every day though, whereas you can game every day.

E.g. a 45 hours in two weeks would be spread across 10 days, for 4 and a half hours a day.

On the other hand, in order to reach the same amount gaming every day you're only doing 3.2 hours a day, which really isn't that much. People easily do more than that, regularly.

That's not going to be their problem.

28 minutes ago, FireSegment said:

The particles effect slider won't matter much.

Particles and having effects all over the screen can absolutely strain your eyes.

4 minutes ago, vettelcopter said:

What UI theme are you using? Could be a colour related issue.

Edited by DeMonkey

39 minutes ago, vettelcopter said:

No fans. As for blinking, well isnt that supposed to be automatic? 🙂

Supposed to be, but I've personally noticed that I hardly blink during fast paced games unless I die and am waiting for the respawn or something. 

Sometimes it gets bad and I need to take breaks from the game and put some eyedrops in. 

13 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

What UI theme are you using? Could be a colour related issue.

The default one, didn't even know you can change that 🙂

9 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Supposed to be, but I've personally noticed that I hardly blink during fast paced games unless I die and am waiting for the respawn or something. 

Sometimes it gets bad and I need to take breaks from the game and put some eyedrops in. 

Yeah, that could be case with me, will pay attention to that.

1 minute ago, vettelcopter said:

The default one, didn't even know you can change that

It's somewhere in the options, fairly hidden from what I recall. Don't recall the default one being too hard on the eyes though, but it doesn't hurt to look.

the game haa a lot of flash things...agree.

For example...simulor...the effects makes nobody use this again because hurt our eyes very fast...DE needs to back to old effects...was good and dont remeber who asked for changes in this weapon.

27 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Particles and having effects all over the screen can absolutely strain your eyes.

yeah i got messed up between performance issues and look issues there a bit, turn the slider to 0 like OP doing could have problem showing the projectile of some gun though (drakgoon for example)

1 hour ago, DeMonkey said:

On the other hand, in order to reach the same amount gaming every day you're only doing 3.2 hours a day, which really isn't that much. People easily do more than that, regularly.

That's not going to be their problem.

3.2 hours everyday is really a lot, after counting work/study and sleep hours (it would mean if there are some days you only play 1 hour or not playing, then there are some other day you spent 4-5 hours on it), to that i would say pretty alarming for a game already. (like .... if i discover my younger cousin who still in school playing that much, i would actually help his parent cut down the gaming time if he can't help it) 

Sure there are some people play much more than that, but the way i see it, they most likely already either make playing games what paying their bills, or sacrifice work/sleep hours on it, or are hospitalized and not having lots of options to spent their time. 

It's not the case this time, since OP say it's actually over 3 weeks though.

1 hour ago, vettelcopter said:

I'll see if I have those option turned on, I'm pretty sure HDR is on, but my monitor does not support it, so I don't know if it's doing anything. I was googling about this and some people suggested to turn off depth of field so I disabled it.

Ops, the setting in my head when i typed that was actually Dynamic Lighting, not HDR, my bad

3 hours ago, vettelcopter said:

Hello there.

This is going to sound facetious, but it comes from a good place.

If you honestly think that a gaming forum is the place to get health issued addressed, you have larger issues than a bloodshot eye.

See a health professional, and for the love of all that's holy learn to take a break every now and then, because it's far more likely to be stress related than to be anything to do with the visual settings of the game (or of any game for that matter).

there is more visual crap going on on screen in warframe compared to every other game i've played (ie. a lot) but i doubt it is the problem. take regular breaks. get another check on your lenses or even the liquid you use to clean them. i exclusively wore lenses for 10 years of my life and my eyes got better as soon as i switched back to glasses. but everyone's different.

Edited by shadyadie
typo. omg