Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Capture to Exterminate

MistressMoonpaw

"Everyone."

I personally wish we had more mechanics like the, "change of plans," to make missions less stale. Granted, the way the drop pools work, missions have to be 1 way speed runs to obtain whatever thing. For the sake of that.. which I don't like, I can see not wanting missions to be more interesting.. though I'd rather see less of that, and more variety per node.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

"Everyone."

I personally wish we had more mechanics like the, "change of plans," to make missions less stale. Granted, the way the drop pools work, missions have to be 1 way speed runs to obtain whatever thing. For the sake of that.. which I don't like, I can see not wanting missions to be more interesting.. though I'd rather see less of that, and more variety per node.

The problem is optimization. Imagine you pick a speed volt to finish those capture missions quickly, and suddenly it turns into a defense or some other nonsense. I play public constantly and the reaction is always the same when it happens. Everyone is upset when it happens, including me

• Like 4

Yeah I hate this mechanic.  It usually happens if you complete the objective "too fast."  It's even possible trigger in Mobile Defense and Spies if you get the first consoles done fast enough.  It's absolutely annoying to me, especially in modes like Capture where you ALREADY COMPLETED THE OBJECTIVE and it still happens.

Edited by (PS4)Zuzu_with_a_Z
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, (PS4)Zuzu_with_a_Z said:

Yeah I hate this mechanic.  It usually happens if you complete the objective "too fast."  It's even possible trigger in Mobile Defense and Spies if you get the first consoles done fast enough.  It's absolutely annoying to me, especially in modes like Capture where you ALREADY COMPLETED THE OBJECTIVE and it still happens.

The spy one isn't due to speed. If you trigger the alarm in every room, it turns into exterminate. Dunno the triggers for the other types though.

• Like 2

"I can't 'Ignore the original objective' mom, I already completed it!"

It is annoying. It doesn't make sense on a single-act, binary objective like Capture; you cannot be partway into your objective and have plans change. You either captured them already or you didn't.

Compare that to other missions; Mob Def could switch up to exterminate/capture before the final console, Exterminate itself could switch off to capture halfway through clearing the enemy counts, etc. It'd be a change of ongoing mission flow, not an arbitrary extension to something that's technically already over.

On the other hand the mission type is a meta decision by the player often because they have some secondary goal in mind than mission completion itself. Nightwave tasks, Riven conditions, even farming resources or containers or Fragments. Having missions be more dynamic does upset this balance, possibly becoming frustrating if it's pulling the rug out from under people's ancillary goals.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, TheLexiConArtist said:

It is annoying. It doesn't make sense on a single-act, binary objective like Capture; you cannot be partway into your objective and have plans change. You either captured them already or you didn't.

Compare that to other missions; Mob Def could switch up to exterminate/capture before the final console, Exterminate itself could switch off to capture halfway through clearing the enemy counts, etc. It'd be a change of ongoing mission flow, not an arbitrary extension to something that's technically already over.

On the other hand the mission type is a meta decision by the player often because they have some secondary goal in mind than mission completion itself. Nightwave tasks, Riven conditions, even farming resources or containers or Fragments. Having missions be more dynamic does upset this balance, possibly becoming frustrating if it's pulling the rug out from under people's ancillary goals.

It would probably feel a lot better if it was optional, had a better transition, and offered some extra reward. Something like,  "The capture target has relayed us additional information, the enemies on the ship are holding onto [something]... if you choose to accept this mission, you will acquire [whatever the enemies are holding]" and if you just go to extraction it will say something along the lines of "We will send in another team then to acquire the [something]"

• Like 2

I had a change of plans, a cephalon capture target, a stalker, AND a kuva lich all in the same mission.   It was awesome. 

When it does change to extermine is always a low amount....are you seriously crying over this?  Maybe you had limited time and wanted to do a capture super fast and if thats the case I feel you.  Otherwise lol....if you dont want to or cant kill stuff....dont run missions... 

• 1 year later...
On 2020-04-26 at 4:36 AM, TheLexiConArtist said:

old topic but still an active matter

I complete certain capture runs in around 40 seconds per run. I noticed that doing the extermination run turns my ~40 second runs into ~2 minute runs. When I capture the target I still usually have to travel for around 25 seconds to reach extraction which means aborting for me will have wasted about ~15 second + loading time which is for loading in and out together ~15 seconds. A complete restart wastes 30 seconds turning my one run which I aborted and restarted into a ~70 second run, still way faster than the average of ~120 seconds.

Because of this whenever it turns into exterminate I just abort and restart the mission.
I wonder if this is what DE wanted, at least they should have expected this... years ago when they introduced this

• Like 2