Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is Cautious Shot even doing anymore?

Wyrmius_Prime

You still get staggered 100% of the time. The mod card reads ''90% chance to reduce the stagger effect'' at rank 10. How much is this supposed reduction supposed to be, and why isn't it 90% chance of no stagger like the old mod was 90% reduction to self damage.

1b262bf114f2d0cd413483941b77685b.gif

Edited by Wyrmius_Prime
  • Like 1

Now that you mention it. It could also be a "100% chance to ignore stagger" at this point to be a (in my opinion) worse but faster to acquire alternative to Primed Sure Footed. Not to mention some frames get it through just their abilities or augments.

Edited by (PS4)Deeceem

3 hours ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

You still get staggered 100% of the time. The mod card reads ''90% chance to reduce the stagger effect'' at rank 10. How much is this supposed reduction supposed to be,

I tested it with the Zhuge Prime, which only has one explosion (before multishot). AFAICT, it's reducing the severity of the stagger by approximately the listed percentage.  Without it equipped, I get roughly 10x as many severe flinches as the smallest flinch, and this ratio reverses with it equipped.

I think the issue with it seeming to do nothing is once  you add some multishot and bomblets there's a good chance you'll get a severe stagger from at least one of the explosions.  This seems borne out by a little testing with the Bramma. 

I'm not sure how the "severity" system works exactly, but there's clearly at least three or four different grades of stagger.  CS when it succeeds seems to reduce the stagger by one grade most of the time.

I think it's too weak, but unlike many mods could still be worthwhile sometimes.   Primed Sure Footed is far, far, superior, but some people won't have access to it.  And some people with both are going care more about leaving that frame exilus slot free for something else than they are the weapon exilus.

Edited by Tiltskillet

4 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

I'm not sure how the "severity" system works exactly, but there's clearly at least three or four different grades of stagger.  CS when it succeeds seems to reduce the stagger by one grade most of the time.

I think it's too weak, but unlike many mods could still be worthwhile sometimes.   Primed Sure Footed is far, far, superior, but some people won't have access to it.  And some people with both are going care more about leaving that frame exilus slot free for something else than they are the weapon exilus.

It's either explosion damage or the radius size and your distance to the middle that affects the severity I think. At least my accidental Acceltra staggers are nothing compared to my Bramma or Ogris.

Even if this mod was changed to totally get rid of stagger from the player's own weapons, Primed Surefoot would remain superior due to it being able to prevent both stagger and knockdowns from enemies as well. There would be room to buff the mod reasonably.

26 minutes ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

It's either explosion damage or the radius size and your distance to the middle that affects the severity I think. At least my accidental Acceltra staggers are nothing compared to my Bramma or Ogris.

Yeah.

26 minutes ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

Even if this mod was changed to totally get rid of stagger from the player's own weapons, Primed Surefoot would remain superior due to it being able to prevent both stagger and knockdowns from enemies as well.

Plus CS only helps with the stagger from one of your equipped weapons.

6 hours ago, Melanholic7 said:

Thats why i hate this. Explosive weapons now are unusable without Primed sure footed (which is so dumb) and Caut shot is wasted mod. =/ 

Huh? I don't use Primed Sure Footed and have no problems using explosive weaponry. Calling them useless without a mod that negates clumsy gameplay is a stretch. 

It has a chance to reduce severity. There are 3 types of penalty: short/fast stagger, regular stagger, and full on knockdown. I think that big AoE weapons have only a very tiny portion of their most outer AoE as short stagger, so effectively you will never see it, unless a normal stagger gets reduced to short stagger. Unless they only have stagger and knockdown, it is hard to test. But some secondary weapons do have this reduced duration stagger as part of their AoE distribution.

The problem is that multishot messes this up as each projectile adds its own stagger effect, so even if you were standing on the most outer edge of AoE, you will get fully knocked down if you have multishot on the weapon.

Cautious Shot gives you a chance to reduce a knockdown to stagger, or stagger to short duration stagger, or short duration stagger to no stagger. It has to roll against each separate projectile from multishot, to reduce knockdown to stagger, and that's it. But since each projectile is a separate roll, and you will always mod for multishot, the real chance is lower than 90%.

Below is an ilustration what I mean, taken from an old post of mine on reddit. "Post AoE rework" is what we currently have. Knockdown across the whole AoE.

vaG805Q.png

Edited by Bristoling
  • Like 4