Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Athodai has some issues.

lukinu_u

First, let's rapidely describe the weapon fuctions :

• The weapon has a 24 round magazine with 48 max ammo.
  • Primary fire is a fast automatic hitscan with high critical stats and very low status chance, dealing pucture and heat damage.
  • Secondary fire empty the magazine and make a short range front AoE dealing heat with high status.
  • Headshot kill with the primary fire boost your firerate and remove ammo consumption for 8 seconds but disable the secondary shot.

So looking at this, the weapon has a secondary fire and passive effect on condition which sounds nice, but let's looks closely how everything here interacts :

• Secondary fire consume a full magazine, which is half of the max ammo. It's just too much for the outcome, even with ammo mutation or anything else that boost your max ammo, your best option here to make it efficient is to reduce your magazine size, which is only doable with Rivens for now.
    Since it empty the current magazine, you could just shoot a bit with the primary fire and finish off with the secondary fire (which is probably how the weapon has been designed), but the issue is the primary fire is crit and secondary is status, and you generally want to put status before dealing damage with crit, so it just doesn't works.

• Landing headshot kill with the primary fire buff it but disable the secondary for 8 seconds. This actually mean the game punish you for landing a headshot, which is terrible. The idea of a buff with drawback is cool, but doing this on headshot kill just doesn't work and 8 seconds is too long and feels frustrating, especially as it happens when you do something that should be rewarded rather than punished.

Overall, both fire modes sounds interesting but really don't work together in the current state. On one side you have a status burst that burn 1/2 of your maxa ammo to apply status, but then you have to reload before shooting and deal damage with your primary fire and hopefully land a headshot kill too get ammo efficiency unless what you wouldn't be able to shoot because your ammo pool is empty, and you can repeat the process and shoot with the second... wait no, you can't because the passive disable the secondary shot, you understand how wonky this is.
So, to change the weapon in a more usable and interesting way, here is my proposal :

• Swap status and crit stats of both fire modes. This mean primary fire act a status spreader while secondary deal heavy damage from crit.
  • Secondary fire is now disabled by default and activate while Overdrive is active (opposite as right now).
  • Overdrive now trigger with 15% on headshot rather than guaranteed on headshot kill.
  • While Overdrive is active, using secondary fire will end its duration.
  • Secondary fire kill replenish used ammo.

With these changes here is how the the weapon would perform :

• Primary fire is a fast automatic status shot, that can trigger Overdrive if consistantly landing headshots.
  • Overdrive double your firerate and remove ammo consumption.
  • While Overdrive is active, you can benefit from the infinite ammo and double firerate, or use the secondary fire for a strong damage burst, which end the Overdrive state.
  • If you kill with the secondary fire, ammo used are replenished, which make it more reliable if used wisely.

These changes reward skill (with headshot) and planification (with the secondary shot kills), which make the weapons much more reliable and enjoyable to use.

While I agree with OP's critique, I would hate that kind of rework. I am already very annoyed that the Quellor has the good crit stats on the secondary fire. I think the only two changes the Athodai needs is a) trigger the buff on any headshot as the description says, b) not lock out secondary fire during the buff.

il y a 7 minutes, (NSW)RaDiCaL_eD a dit :

Nothing bothers me in this weapon

Except one thing :

Overdrive should be restarted if a new headshot is made during the time of buff ! 

So a weapon with a secondary fire that you literally can't use if you land headshots is fine for you ?

il y a 2 minutes, lukinu_u a dit :

So a weapon with a secondary fire that you literally can't use if you land headshots is fine for you ?

Secondary fire is situational, it should be used at the right time.
Increasing your ammo is nonsense that does not fit the weapon as a whole.

il y a 2 minutes, (NSW)RaDiCaL_eD a dit :

Secondary fire is situational, it should be used at the right time.
Increasing your ammo is nonsense that does not fit the weapon as a whole.

Secondary fire is situational, but how are you supposed to use it if you are not allowed to ? Intentionnaly not landing headshots for 8 second to use the secondary shot, that is not even good seems really weird to me.

On 2020-08-01 at 12:54 PM, lukinu_u said:

o, to change the weapon in a more usable and interesting way, here is my proposal :

• Swap status and crit stats of both fire modes. This mean primary fire act a status spreader while secondary deal heavy damage from crit.
  • Secondary fire is now disabled by default and activate while Overdrive is active (opposite as right now).
  • Overdrive now trigger with 15% on headshot rather than guaranteed on headshot kill.
  • While Overdrive is active, using secondary fire will end its duration.
  • Secondary fire kill replenish used ammo.

With these changes here is how the the weapon would perform :

• Primary fire is a fast automatic status shot, that can trigger Overdrive if consistantly landing headshots.
  • Overdrive double your firerate and remove ammo consumption.
  • While Overdrive is active, you can benefit from the infinite ammo and double firerate, or use the secondary fire for a strong damage burst, which end the Overdrive state.
  • If you kill with the secondary fire, ammo used are replenished, which make it more reliable if used wisely.

These changes reward skill (with headshot) and planification (with the secondary shot kills), which make the weapons much more reliable and enjoyable to use.

I like this proposal a lot.

Il y a 5 heures, Aldain a dit :

I guess hope springs eternal for people who actually think DE will do anything to make mediocre weapons better.

The Zylok should have shot any hope of that dead.

What bother me is not the weapon being bad, it's the fact they worked on getting 2 fireshots + passive, but the way they are setup make none of them usable, which could be fixed a few tweaks.
A weapon with bad stats is fine, but a weapon with unique mechanics that cancel eachothers and make them unusable is not.

6 hours ago, Aldain said:

I guess hope springs eternal for people who actually think DE will do anything to make mediocre weapons better.

There are lots of counter-examples.  Just not many of them since the melee overhaul. 

9 hours ago, Aldain said:

4 hours ago, lukinu_u said:

What bother me is not the weapon being bad, it's the fact they worked on getting 2 fireshots + passive, but the way they are setup make none of them usable, which could be fixed a few tweaks.
A weapon with bad stats is fine, but a weapon with unique mechanics that cancel eachothers and make them unusable is not.

What bothered me is that DE was hyping everyone about a handcannon. And I was expecting (from the stats when it was linkable in in-game chat) was that it was an automatic handcannon that would shoot hefty shots. It didn’t matter that it would be weak to me, I was expecting some heft and weight with each shot. Being an automatic firing-type would compensate for base dps loss over a semi-auto. Imagine an automatic version of the Lex or Lex Prime? Those were feelings going into the weapon when it was initially announced.

Instead, we get an automatic Plinx. That shoots these really, really small bullets/projectiles. And it has a mechanic that rewards, if not implicates the player, to skillfully aim for headshots. Sure, the alt-fire is a Klamora Prism, but what is the Klamora Prism? A Railgun.

Precision Pea-Shooter Primary Fire.

Railgun Alt-Fire.

Perk on Headshot, increased fire rate and ammo efficiency on Precision Pea-Shooter Ptimary Fire. Locks out Railgun Alt-Fire.

Where in the bloody heck on the Athodai does this gun QUALIFY AS A HANDCANNON?!!

4 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

There are lots of counter-examples.  Just not many of them since the melee overhaul. 

That's why I'm a supporter of a second firearm balance passthrough.

Because Melee fixed most of their complete joke weapons (things like the Pangolin Sword, all Dual Daggers etc.) but the Primary/Secondary equivalents to those buffed Melee weapons are still as bad as they were previously.

Thrown Secondaries in particular need some help, much like how DE did a massive Bow balance pass.

4 hours ago, Aldain said:

That's why I'm a supporter of a second firearm balance passthrough.

Because Melee fixed most of their complete joke weapons (things like the Pangolin Sword, all Dual Daggers etc.) but the Primary/Secondary equivalents to those buffed Melee weapons are still as bad as they were previously.

Certainly sounds more time efficient than ekeing out specific augments for every mediocre ranged weapon in the game. 

It's fun to think about what they'd come up with for this gun though.  "Hand Cannon Hullabaloo:  Overdrive mode now adds 100% status chance to secondary fire for 9 seconds!"

Archived