Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Extract Samples is a great Mission Type and might be getting under-appreciated

Flying_Scorpion

• Extract Samples

Players are instructed to acquire power cells (obtained from Deimos Venin Mutalists) and insert them into a device called a purifier. Upon insertion of a power cell, a white region appears expanding from the purifier before steadily decreasing in size. This white region will allow players to interact with flora samples, indicated by yellow squares on the minimap, needed to advance in the bounty. As the white area starts to recede, samples can no longer be picked up so the players must pick up as many as possible before putting in another cell.

Bonus: Activate the Purifier 5 times or less.

Why is this so good? 

First, the bonus rewards skill and knowledge, which is developed over time by doing this mission repeatedly.

Second, a well organized squad can get this mission done very fast (rewarding skill with time efficiency is a good thing in my opinion)

Third, there's a strategy that emerges over time from doing this mission (position yourself at the edge and work your way inward towards the purifier.)

Just wanted to make sure that this well designed mission wasn't get under-appreciated.

first time i stuffed like 4 cells in it immediately, didnt really pay attention so obviously i failed the bonus, but yeah every other time it is pretty decent to do. need more of these active missions and LESS waiting around for the timer to expire

Spoiler

cries in isolation vault

46 minutes ago, Flying_Scorpion said:
  • Extract Samples

Players are instructed to acquire power cells (obtained from Deimos Venin Mutalists) and insert them into a device called a purifier. Upon insertion of a power cell, a white region appears expanding from the purifier before steadily decreasing in size. This white region will allow players to interact with flora samples, indicated by yellow squares on the minimap, needed to advance in the bounty. As the white area starts to recede, samples can no longer be picked up so the players must pick up as many as possible before putting in another cell.

Bonus: Activate the Purifier 5 times or less.

Why is this so good? 

First, the bonus rewards skill and knowledge, which is developed over time by doing this mission repeatedly.

Second, a well organized squad can get this mission done very fast (rewarding skill with time efficiency is a good thing in my opinion)

Third, there's a strategy that emerges over time from doing this mission (position yourself at the edge and work your way inward towards the purifier.)

Just wanted to make sure that this well designed mission wasn't get under-appreciated.

Yeah, many of the new missions in Deimos are pretty nice, like the ones where we compete with the grineer for kills. Pretty awesome

Well, for one it's horrible in CD because of the amount of cluttering terrain that isn't present in PoE/OV.

Secondly, there's nothing skillful about it. I've never managed to come close to failing the side objective, because if you aren't getting at least 3 samples per power core, you're probably AFK. That's speaking from Solo, and while I imagine that plebs could mess it up by feeding it multiple cores at once, there's also more people to collect samples.

Thirdly, it's yet another way for DE to give us a buggable mission when a mandatory enemy takes too long to spawn or fails to spawn at all. Those are bad. I'd feel better if it just required 5 'infested samples' from killing any ordinary units.

I don't specifically hate this objective, but it's definitely one of the ones I consider tedious and pointless.

Its an ok mission, but not as well designed as you make it out to be. Currently you can pop in as many power cells as you want so its pretty easilly a ruined bonus either by accident (two people putting one in at the same time unintentionally) or by new players not knowing how it works. 

I think they should change it so that once you put a power cell in, it doesnt let you put another one until the area has shrunk small enough. 

In fact in a team-play encouraging game like this Im very surprised theres so many missions types that can be ruined by new players because the mission design basically tells them to do it wrong, like in survival where lotus tells you to activate life support asap, when you should actually wait a bit.

2 hours ago, (PS4)AccursedImmortal said:

It's a decent mission, but I'm annoyed when I get it because it's usually mostly me rushing to get samples while most of the guys are just protecting the defense point.

Same happens to me a lot of times, and it doesnt seem like defending it helps at all either or maybe my team wasnt that effective? Because it felt like it was shrinking more or less the same pace each time no matter if it was defended or not. 

Regardless, if everyone is collecting it can be done in 3 cells or maybe less so doesnt really matter. 

Archived