Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Idea/Suggestion] Battle Royale-inspired Mode? (Spoilers for Second Dream onward)

(PSN)DaveTheMadcat

1 hour ago, (PS4)DaveTheMadcat said:

So how would you make a Battle Royale in Warframe?

No Way Commando GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

today must be a throwback day: we had a "warframe is dying" thread earlier, now we've got the dread Battle Royale suggestion. I don't mind the classic facepalm inducing methods but let's try to be a bit more diverse, shall we?

17 hours ago, (PS4)DaveTheMadcat said:

Please be constructive and polite with your opinions.

I'll start this by being as polite as I possibly can towards the "new" hype that is BR. It is a vile toxic dump baby that should have had a retroactive abortion done to it with all of the world's tactical nukes fired at it at once.

Now onto the constructive part which ends with a big NO!

We have no dedicated servers, the game itself would have massive issues handling even 10 players, BR itself brings unwanted toxicity that can gladly stay in the BR games already on the saturated market, most weapons are hitscan based, so actual skilled gunplay wouldnt be a thing, we only have 2 "open" maps that arent big enough for an acceptable BR match population, we move too fast with warframes which makes the maps even more of a poor fit for BR and the list regarding why it would be bad and not work could go on for eternity or until the world turns into a scorched nuclear wasteland as we nuke the bastard that is BR.

And I know I said it before but it is worth saying again... NO!

17 hours ago, (PS4)DaveTheMadcat said:

Here we go again, someone else who has nothing better to do than be down on ideas. 

I'm much more interested in a hypothetical discussion of how this COULD work than hearing a bunch of folks say they don't want the thing. I already know you guys are there and you're not adding anything to the conversation.

Because the conversation has been discussed in multiple occasions and in every single one the whole idea was proven by multiple people to be bad, something you would know if you cared to do a quick research on the forum. 

These reasons are:

A game hardly cored around PVE, and which nothing, except a total reboot could make balanced for a PVP. This includes:

- extremely powerful abilities that are castable with almost no limit, some with auto-aim, aoe, hard cc, and so on.

- different set of values, resistances and magnitude orders in the damage system.

- one of the fastest and most free movement system ever seen in a game, which makes the fight to take down other players with skill extremely difficult or almost impossible in certain situations.

Absence of dedicated servers and optimizations required to guarantee a fair challenge

Too harsh learning curve for new comers and too much demanding for casual players (which are the big part of community)

Visceral repulsion of any PVP-based content from virtually the entire playerbase (and to be clear, regardless of the aforementioned flaws, but just for the concept)

And even if you modified the game to correct these flaws, you would simply no longer play Warframe but a second game that has nothing to do with it.

Now instead I'll explain why you encountered so much hatred in the replies to your post.

In addition to the fact that this very topic has been proposed several times (I'm talking about the BR idea), it is a sort of habit around here that people (especially newcomers) propose to change the game at its true roots, pretending to make it become something totally different from what it is. This on the basis of superficial trends of the moment or infatuations of the latest "hot" or favourite game. But in the end, if these were just childish ideas born in a moment of lightness and then quicly laughted off there would be no concern whatsoever, the problem stand in the fact that the DEVs in the past have really tried to follow these trends and ideas:

revised PVP, Lunaro, Frame Fighter, even the launch of a brand new PVP game, but all these "amazing" ideas turned out to be giant holes in water that only wasted time and resources which could instead be more smartly used for things that the community really wanted.

If warframe is still alive and good after so many years it is because people like its basic formula. Of course, new features are always well-regarded and well-liked, but only if they enhance or enrich the gameplay we already have, not replace it. If we wanted to play in a BR PVP, we would be spoiled for choice, just as if we wanted to play in a team or war PVP. Nowadays it makes no sense to try to be the jack of all trades, and master of none but rather knowing how to find your own personality and carve your niche between genres to stand out from the crowd and provide an experience different from the rest. This is how a successful game is made.

19 hours ago, (PS4)DaveTheMadcat said:

Now that hopefully we're back to remembering that this is all in hypotheticals can we also stop assuming that DE would half ass this? DE doesn't half ass anything to do with Warframe. If they were to try something like this I would fully expect them to take their time and cut dozens if not hundreds of prototypes.

You know I quit warframe because ^^^ is not always true, they cut a lot of corners and while the stuff they make looks amazing, practically speaking, the gameplay is meh at best.

Look, you need to listen to everybody else, sure you feel like they are not fully reading what you are saying, but they have a point as well, pvp has been a system that has been a literal dumpster fire for a long time, and they tried to give things a revamp with lunaro, but guess what, it was half assed in the end and there were so many problems people gave up on it, besides the fact that not many people found it exciting.

So the problems with making a battle royal in warframe are,

1. DE has a history of not doing well with pvp balance (let alone their current track record of PvE balance)

2. DE has tried making alternate competitive gamemodes in the past like lunaro but they did not turn out well

3. DE would take forever to develop I but it probably will still have some major bugs

The combination of these three would turn people off from playing the gamemode from the start, and would make everyone give up on the gamemode pretty quickly like they did with lunaro. Besides that, it is uncertain how much longer battle royals will be the top trending game, let alone the fact that lunaro couldn't even ride on the coattails of rocket league's popularity. 

And the final nail in the coffin is that DE is owned largely by a Chinese company called Leyou, and you can bet that they are pushing heavily for DE to keep doing things that make them money, e.g. tennogen. Thus something like a warframe battle royal is unlikely to be made because it would take a lot of developer effort and would be difficult to monetize, which although DE with their passion for warframe may have done so in the past, now it is highly unlikely because of outside pressures to keep turning a profit.

In any case I think your idea is a noble one, having new creative game modes in warframe would have been great for me, but I don't see DE changing any time soon and everyone is too disillusioned to dare hope DE could actually make something like this good.

Archived