Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Mission/Content Discussion] What Dark Sector in Warframe was, is, and what it could/should be in the future

FoxFX

EC9KiQ4.png
WHAT DARK SECTOR WAS IN WARFRAME:

• [~Warframe 14.0] Was a Clan vs Clan Conclave content where players compete for control of special nodes across the Star Chart in Solar Rail Conflicts. This was more of a Clan vs Clan Conclave content where you would gain control of nodes.

• [~Warframe 16.0] Was a sort of PVEVP Content where Clan/Alliances built Towers that contained copies of their Warframes as Specters while having limited control of the defenses they can establish in the Towers. These times had many conflicts end up in Armistices.

WHAT DARK SECTOR IS NOW :

In most of the Star Chart's planets, there are two mission nodes in them labeled as Dark Sector Missions which have now been rendered as missions for ONLY Infested Endless missions. These missions supposedly offer bonuses to resource drops and bonus affinity if killing enemies with a specific weapon category.

THE ARGUMENT
The concept of Dark Sector in Warframe can be redefined as a better content for this game. Before, the concept of dark sectors in this game was described to be "new locations with rarer resources, better loot, tougher foes, but harder to reach."

Conclave-type content has not worked that well in the past and is most likely not working now, but the game has its strength in PVE-based content. We can give these current Dark Sector Nodes a new name such as "Infested Nests" or such and create a new take on what Dark Sector can be in the future.

WHAT DARK SECTOR(S) COULD BE IN WARFRAME:

I'd like to leave this a bit open ended, but judging from the past, I feel sticking to make a content titled "Dark Sector" to be more PVE focused. Apparently with how much the game has evolved, there are things that can be done to make this a new experience.

One I feel in particular is one possibility: We could use the Railjacks as a means to travel to unknown sectors. Players can choose the path they take to a new Sector while traversing in chains of missions where they can choose an option of missions they can do to progress. Each Sector traveled can improve difficulty and rewards. If possible, this could be something that resets on a weekly basis and could be an endless type of content. Something of a higher vein to the Sortie Content we have now, but more advanced if possible.

It is an opinion that a content in Warframe named "Dark Sector(s)" truly deserves more especially for what it means for players that remember how this game started and for Digital Extremes to how they got to this point.

21 minutes ago, FoxFX said:

EC9KiQ4.png
WHAT DARK SECTOR WAS IN WARFRAME:

• [~Warframe 14.0] Was a Clan vs Clan Conclave content where players compete for control of special nodes across the Star Chart in Solar Rail Conflicts. This was more of a Clan vs Clan Conclave content where you would gain control of nodes.

• [~Warframe 16.0] Was a sort of PVEVP Content where Clan/Alliances built Towers that contained copies of their Warframes as Specters while having limited control of the defenses they can establish in the Towers. These times had many conflicts end up in Armistices.

WHAT DARK SECTOR IS NOW :

In most of the Star Chart's planets, there are two mission nodes in them labeled as Dark Sector Missions which have now been rendered as missions for ONLY Infested Endless missions. These missions supposedly offer bonuses to resource drops and bonus affinity if killing enemies with a specific weapon category.

THE ARGUMENT
The concept of Dark Sector in Warframe can be redefined as a better content for this game. Before, the concept of dark sectors in this game was described to be "new locations with rarer resources, better loot, tougher foes, but harder to reach."

Conclave-type content has not worked that well in the past and is most likely not working now, but the game has its strength in PVE-based content. We can give these current Dark Sector Nodes a new name such as "Infested Nests" or such and create a new take on what Dark Sector can be in the future.

WHAT DARK SECTOR(S) COULD BE IN WARFRAME:

I'd like to leave this a bit open ended, but judging from the past, I feel sticking to make a content titled "Dark Sector" to be more PVE focused. Apparently with how much the game has evolved, there are things that can be done to make this a new experience.

One I feel in particular is one possibility: We could use the Railjacks as a means to travel to unknown sectors. Players can choose the path they take to a new Sector while traversing in chains of missions where they can choose an option of missions they can do to progress. Each Sector traveled can improve difficulty and rewards. If possible, this could be something that resets on a weekly basis and could be an endless type of content. Something of a higher vein to the Sortie Content we have now, but more advanced if possible.

It is an opinion that a content in Warframe named "Dark Sector(s)" truly deserves more especially for what it means for players that remember how this game started and for Digital Extremes to how they got to this point.

I think they want to do something similar to your suggestion, check this timestamped video and see the node name when the railajck arrives:

Just now, bad4youLT said:

I recall reasons why it was removed were :

- Unbalanced PvP

- Clans DDoS , abusing system 

- Community toxicity 

fair, i remember the final phases of it before it was removed and you could see that it had a lot of PTW aspects since more plat = more advantage, smaller clans or not so active clans would never stand a chance in hell, but the dark sector could come back as raid type missions with some clan involment. idk, lots of players enjoyed it so lets see how DE responds to it, but i also feel like they have their hands full reworking railjack and Call of the Tempestary. it might be a long shot for it to come back and fix those issues.

is it me, or did anyone else notice the 5 mod slot on that railjack... 

Anywho, Dark sector failed because there isn't that big of a community that involved PvP content, and when ever PvP was taken seriously, some 're-balancing' also spilled over into the PvE content, and tbh here... actually made it more of a pain to play the game and to enjoy it. As of late this kind of balancing hasn't been a thing, and now the two are more separated, but again the PvP community is quite small and no real point too it other than friendly competition (though some take it too far and make it get personal and cause problems for EVERYONE ELSE).

The Orkin lab in a way is also useless, which was too supplement the use of PvP in the game, but never really taken off. Thats atleast how I feel about the whole PvP content, there isn't really any incentive to play it, and when you do you meet some really toxic people and just don't want to touch it afterwards.

1 hour ago, FoxFX said:

We could use the Railjacks as a means to travel to unknown sectors. Players can choose the path they take to a new Sector while traversing in chains of missions where they can choose an option of missions they can do to progress. Each Sector traveled can improve difficulty and rewards. If possible, this could be something that resets on a weekly basis and could be an endless type of content. Something of a higher vein to the Sortie Content we have now, but more advanced if possible.

... Interesting... I can actually go along with that.

2 hours ago, vanaukas said:

I think they want to do something similar to your suggestion, check this timestamped video and see the node name when the railajck arrives:

offtopic: Watching this video is nostaugic, it makes me feel that DE has built a good game system for railjack 1.0 but after many updates everything was overly powerful and quick to complete mission, now we have extremely fast content with fragile mechanics for tired hosts and servers.

12 hours ago, vanaukas said:

It is similar but not the same. The suggestion I made was more mainstreamed to how Warframe missions are usually done. Tried to suggest lower so if it works it can be built up more.

Just now, FoxFX said:

It is similar but not the same. The suggestion I made was more mainstreamed to how Warframe missions are usually done. Tried to suggest lower so if it works it can be built up more.

in the concept video they show chained missions and also you hace to take into account the current implememtation of endless missions in raijack. I think they are going to revamp Dark Sectors very similsr to your idea or making alternate versions for railjack. I liled your idea too.

On 2021-04-12 at 6:40 PM, bad4youLT said:

I recall reasons why it was removed were :

- Unbalanced PvP

- Clans DDoS , abusing system 

- Community toxicity 

There was also the taxes that were a major part of the problem from the old versions of Dark Sector. But I wanted to focus on a new take on the mission.

On 2021-04-12 at 7:43 PM, GhostUnitVII said:

Anywho, Dark sector failed because there isn't that big of a community that involved PvP content, and when ever PvP was taken seriously, some 're-balancing' also spilled over into the PvE content, and tbh here... actually made it more of a pain to play the game and to enjoy it. As of late this kind of balancing hasn't been a thing, and now the two are more separated, but again the PvP community is quite small and no real point too it other than friendly competition (though some take it too far and make it get personal and cause problems for EVERYONE ELSE).

The Orkin lab in a way is also useless, which was too supplement the use of PvP in the game, but never really taken off. Thats atleast how I feel about the whole PvP content, there isn't really any incentive to play it, and when you do you meet some really toxic people and just don't want to touch it afterwards.

Which is why I am suggesting redesigning Dark Sector as a new PVE content involving using the Railjack to traverse to unknown areas of space, intercepting enemies on each stop, improving difficulty and reward on each voyage, and giving players the choice of where their destination goes while also presenting them the risks of doing so.

On 2021-04-13 at 12:28 AM, FoxFX said:

Isn't it just Steel Path without... RJ?

20 hours ago, quxier said:

Isn't it just Steel Path without... RJ?

Not at all. Steel Path is just the current StarMap with a higher minimum level. What I have proposed is something very different from just Steel Path, especially since the adventures in this Dark Sector changes on a weekly basis and that the voyage is almost endless.

52 minutes ago, FoxFX said:

Not at all. Steel Path is just the current StarMap with a higher minimum level. What I have proposed is something very different from just Steel Path, especially since the adventures in this Dark Sector changes on a weekly basis and that the voyage is almost endless.

Ok, it changes so you have redo it... this isn't anything special/different.

6 hours ago, quxier said:

Ok, it changes so you have redo it... this isn't anything special/different.

Only, that there is a choice to make on how you progress, and that makes a bigger difference. I can explain more in context on the idea I have and how it works.

7 hours ago, FoxFX said:

Only, that there is a choice to make on how you progress, and that makes a bigger difference. I can explain more in context on the idea I have and how it works.

Then how do you do it? Flying from one place to another with RJ isn't something "that makes a bigger difference".

12 hours ago, quxier said:

Then how do you do it? Flying from one place to another with RJ isn't something "that makes a bigger difference".

What I have in mind could be considered in the border of Fan Concept, but I suppose I can explain the concept in detail:

FC7IsBi.png

Spoiler

The rules/mechanics presented comes from a Fan Concept document I made some time ago

• 1-4 Players, Public/Private
  • Generates a new Dark Sector at the end of the week
  • Traverse "Sectors" consisting of a set number of Voyages
    • Each Voyage offers players a choice of # missions to complete. Completing a missions in that Voyage moves you to the next Voyage
  • Mission Types consist of non-endless missions either Ground or Archwing/Railjack [specifically for Railjack would consist of SKirmishes or taking out key Corpus grand fleets. Railjack's Volatile's Ground Mission variant will include as one mission players can do]

REPETITION

• You can repeat/backtrack to a previous Voyage and choose another Mission
    • HOWEVER: Doing so won't reward the Mission's Completion Reward, Voyage Reward, nor risk being Marked again

RISK OF MARK MECHANIC

• Any mission from a Voyage you choose have their own distinct chance to mark players
  • The marks attached to a player can trigger special events in future Voyages/Missions adding new obstacles to the missions.
    • Conceptual Example: Assassins Grineer/Corpus
    • Conceptual Example: Sentient Incoming
    • Conceptual Example: Missions receive temporary Environmental Anomalies
    • Conceptual Example: Infested spores planted as a trap in a mission
    • Conceptual Example: Increase of Eximus Units
    • Conceptual Example: Enemies of Health Above 80% gain Warframe Ability resistances (looses it permanently after dropping below 80%)
    • [Other Examples were presented, but had to be cut]

OVERALL CONCEPT OF THE GAME MODE

Inspired by games similar to Faster than Light [FTL] but is numbed down to allow repetition and simplicity. Players would be able to choose the path they take in these Dark Sectors by seeing the risks they can be affected by in missions throughout their voyages. A chain of endless mission which lasts on a weekly basis.

On 2021-04-21 at 1:24 AM, FoxFX said:

Risk of Mark

So every time you beat one sector you get +X RoM?

So, if I take 4x with 25% RoM I'll get 100% chance to "something extra".

I guess you've played Disruption.

What I get is that players would pick missions with "random thing". Why not just make a selector:

- pick chance of anomalies (RoM), e.g. 0, 30,100 OR pick them from checklist

- pick mission type (exterminate, capture etc)

- some other variables (e.g. +N to enemy levels)

2 hours ago, quxier said:

So every time you beat one sector you get +X RoM?

So, if I take 4x with 25% RoM I'll get 100% chance to "something extra".

I guess you've played Disruption.

What I get is that players would pick missions with "random thing". Why not just make a selector:

- pick chance of anomalies (RoM), e.g. 0, 30,100 OR pick them from checklist

- pick mission type (exterminate, capture etc)

- some other variables (e.g. +N to enemy levels)

No. Playing a Mission in that Voyage can cause the player to be marked. The risk does not add. Each Missions has unique "Risk of Marks" to them.

The whole idea of this concept is to simulate a sense of adventure for this game, but one with a slightly higher level. If you notice that this particular concept takes some inspiration from the map sector concept of FTL where there choice of where a player wants to go is important. Having a selector would defeat the purpose of the design for this. Thus, the idea of different risk involved with certain missions and the different rewards you can get from a mission in a Voyage.

Of course, there are better ways to go about this and different ways to make the choice of missions more meaningful. I even wanted to utilize the Alignment System of Warframe as a tool in some way, but I wanted to first polish out the idea a bit more.

8 minutes ago, FoxFX said:

The whole idea of this concept is to simulate a sense of adventure for this game, but one with a slightly higher level.

Sadly for me it's not adventure. For me adventure comes with not only enemies but with exploration (and other stuffs). For me your suggestion is not very different from manually selecting those things.

11 hours ago, quxier said:

Sadly for me it's not adventure. For me adventure comes with not only enemies but with exploration (and other stuffs). For me your suggestion is not very different from manually selecting those things.

A fair conclusion. After all, not all missions in Warframe are fun/engaging for some.

I will soon make a post on some planets I feel can be occupied/reworked for newer storylines/content in the future.

If there is no thoughts on the matter of Dark Sector, I thank those that shared their opinions.

19 hours ago, ZokuGojira said:

LOL, I clicked on this thinking it was about the relevance of Hayden Tenno and his exhausting vacation in Lasria.

Shows how much I engaged with Dark Sectors in this game. I think that was during the hiatus I took in order to focus on trying to like Destiny.

Understandable. Alas, a reason I am bringing Dark Sector up is how significant it was to DE and my personal take on how significant it could be in Warframe as the game mode it is now.

Archived