Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gear wheel overhaul

Quimoth

When will we finally get another rework of the gear wheel? It still has some old and wonky features that honestly do not seem that big a deal to fix/change. Here is a short list I've made, in what I personally believe to go from most to least important.

1. Non-interactive items like ciphers, dragon keys and apothics shouldn't be on the gear wheel, you don't select them from the gear wheel anyways.
  2. Vehicles shouldn't be visible in missions where they aren't available.
  3. Fomorian disruptors and other event items could probably be made non-interactive so they stop taking up space in our gear wheel.
  4. It makes no sense to me that we are required to equip/unequip items that are only available/useful for a limited time, especially with the event items.
  5. Another option would be to make categories/groups in the gear wheel, just like we've had the fishing/hunting gear all behind a separate menu after selecting the spear/rifle. Example:
    1. Reinforcements, (specters, pizza's, landingcraft item)
    2. Vehicles
    3. Keys, (apothics, event items, keys)
    4. Fishing
    5. Hunting
    6. Beacons
  6. Especially for PC players it would great to just bind shortcuts to certain gear items, it would be less urgent or not required at all should some of the former points be implemented.

Any thoughts on other/further improvements required on the gear wheel or as to why it is okay for it to be in a such miserable state are welcome. I believe I covered most issues and have brought up a few acceptable ways to implement improvements, should you spot anything amiss please comment so I might update the above section.

TL;DR;

The last time we got a gear wheel overhaul it was done cheaply and poorly from a user point of view. It really needs a proper overhaul.

53 minutes ago, Quimoth said:

Another option would be to make categories/groups in the gear wheel, just like we've had the fishing/hunting gear all behind a separate menu after selecting the spear/rifle. Example:

I don’t think this one is a good choice. There still seem to be issues with certain setups on controllers making the fishing/hunting thing non-functional. If these issues could be fixed then something like this could work well.

Everything else seems perfectly reasonable.

1 hour ago, Quimoth said:
  •  
  • It makes no sense to me that we are required to equip/unequip items that are only available/useful for a limited time, especially with the event items.

You don't have to unequip stuffs. Only dragon keys in certain builds or missions.

• Especially for PC players it would great to just bind shortcuts to certain gear items, it would be less urgent or not required at all should some of the former points be implemented.

I think you can been 10 or 20 keys already. I have for fishing, mining, conservation, archwing, archguns, 3 different pizzas and scanner.

•  
  • Fomorian disruptors and other event items could probably be made non-interactive so they stop taking up space in our gear wheel.

I would go farther and say: you don't need to equip stuffs just build them. You got formorian disruptors can be "Xed". Things like plague star catalyst & phil... something - they can make another consoles where each X you add more those things. Same with Silver grove specters.

Gear should have just essential stuffs that couldn't be "Xed" like kdrive/archwing, archgun, ciphers and pizzas.

2 hours ago, Quimoth said:

Non-interactive items like ciphers, dragon keys and apothics shouldn't be on the gear wheel, you don't select them from the gear wheel anyways.

Things like cyphers, formorian disrupters and apothics should just work without needing to equip them. Those tike disrupters should activate under the conditions (like everyone gathering in the core) because manual activation is pointless.

Dragon keys are an exeption as you do have that additional effect to carry them.

2 hours ago, Quimoth said:

Vehicles shouldn't be visible in missions where they aren't available.

They should be visibly greyed out, but if they disapeared from the hotbar it would much up my hotkeys

Scrap the entire wheel and change it into a grid patterns in which you can place whatever gear you want into whatever place you want. The wheel has so much unused screen space compared to what a grid pattern would have. Our monitors are in fact rectangular. The same explained in a picture:

bf867d56c551d7846f78b4405e125ae7.png

You should be able to choose the size and the layout of the grid all by yourself, giving full control over where everything is to eventually have it all in your muscle memory. Whether you want the grid to be 5x5 or 10x10, you should be able to customize it to your own liking and personal taste.

I actually made a topic about this. 4 reactions, 1 reply and it died. Quoting myself from
[Suggestion] Rework the Gearwheel For Mouse Users:

On 2021-05-16 at 12:46 AM, Uthael said:

Spinning the wheel with a mouse takes time. Pointing at a location and clicking it would be so much faster.

With that being said - please give us the choice of seeing an array of icons instead of that wheel. You know... A grid. Much like opening a bag in an MMORPG, only bigger. And when looking at it, let us see EVERYTHING at glance. All keybinds, cooldowns and item counts.

@QuimothYou can bind up to 12 keyboard shortcuts to your gearwheel items. I'm using all 12 xD

Archived