The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Protokol Pistol Skins feel Immersion Breaking

That's my Feedback

I feel like these Protokol pistol skins in the recent NW are immersion breaking

breaking the 4th wall to pull models from other game universes

If a Tennogen created a skin that made a Warframe look like a character from Counterstrike or CoD that would look good wielding these, DE would reject it outright. Food for thought.

40 minutes ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

That's my Feedback

I feel like these Protokol pistol skins in the recent NW are immersion breaking

breaking the 4th wall to pull models from other game universes

If a Tennogen created a skin that made a Warframe look like a character from Counterstrike or CoD that would look good wielding these, DE would reject it outright. Food for thought.

At least we can fit Dark Sector in WF universe. And unicorn ephemeras make the immersion much worse IMO.

maxresdefault.jpg

The "Protokol" skins are all Dark Sector references. Which is at least a spiritual prequel to Warframe, and possibly the same verse, maybe even probably the same verse. (It's fairly heavily implied, although it could just be DE re-using things from their previous IP).

Also, I'm not the only person who's pointing out that weapons skins that look like today's guns wouldn't actually be out-of-place, considering Warframe is meant to be set in our solar system, albeit far in the future.

6 hours ago, (XBOX)GameGhost123 said:

Its a good thing you're not forced to use the skin then. You'll live trust me. 

OK

but its still valid feedback that I'm not happy with DE wasting Nightwave Rewards on stuff I won't be using.

Lemme have the option to receive 50 Nora Credits instead?

or better yet, next time keep the rewards on point?

1 hour ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

or better yet, next time keep the rewards on point?

I'd say they were. Those skins are a tribute to their old game that inspired them to create warframe.  And although you didn't like them I know alot of people that did. I had a bunch of friends who were excited for the new nightwave having those skins. 

1 hour ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

but its still valid feedback that I'm not happy with DE wasting Nightwave Rewards on stuff I won't be using.

Yea its valid feedback and its also valid feedback that I like that we can choose whether or not to use a skin we may or may not like. 

1 hour ago, (XBOX)GameGhost123 said:

I'd say they were. Those skins are a tribute to their old game that inspired them to create warframe.  And although you didn't like them I know alot of people that did. I had a bunch of friends who were excited for the new nightwave having those skins. 

Yea its valid feedback and its also valid feedback that I like that we can choose whether or not to use a skin we may or may not like. 

OK

17 hours ago, (NSW)HedEmpTy said:

The "Protokol" skins are all Dark Sector references. Which is at least a spiritual prequel to Warframe, and possibly the same verse, maybe even probably the same verse. (It's fairly heavily implied, although it could just be DE re-using things from their previous IP).

It's kind of the reverse of a re-imagining, or I guess a "de-imagining". DE had a concept for a game, that concept was meddled with by the executives until it became Dark Sector, but Warframe became an opportunity to go back to that original concept and flush it out.

For all intents and purposes I would not say they're part of the same universe, because Warframe doesn't expand on Dark Sector necessarily, and makes no direct references to Dark Sector outside of some tongue-in-cheek cameos and references. Though to be honest, I was really hoping Drifter was intended to be the actual original Hayden Tenno by default, before customization.

There have been previous Nightwaves that have had cosmetics I didn't like, like the Infested operator suit and ephemera, and someone else probably did. Those equally did not affect me, because I just don't use them. People complain about the Eros wings or whatever because they see them on other players, but in the world of funky gag skins to run into people using in a public game, ones that make weapons smaller and less obtrusive than they're supposed to be have to be the least possible offense - like it'd be hard to even spot them. So this is literally "make all the Nightwave rewards things I like personally instead of things other people like". Well, no.

Easy solution is to just not use them.

While I personally like the look, I do agree that the new skins, at first glance, feel out of place to the Warframe universe.  But the others commenting here made good points that Dark Sector used modern weapons.  And even in the in-game Warframe description tells you that these weapons are from a "past era."

I'll probably go back and forth with the skins.  I don't like the way the Kuva Brakk looks by default, so I like the modern pistol appearance better for that gun.  Most of the prime weapons I'd keep their default appearance.

Archived