The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe hit its yearly avg concurrent player number low in July

Silligoose

50 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

No idea how big a factor it is, but Tennocon happens in July normally.  Exceptions being 2020 (01 Aug) and this year.

This is definitely a large factor. There's an old clip from Steve pointing out that TennoCon results in their biggest peaks for player logins when they generally don't add any content (I think this was in 2018, the year prior to their decision to drop Wukong Prime Access during TennoLive).

2 hours ago, TeaHands said:

One could guess Mr. "Steal yo Player" aka Baldur's Gate 3 is still grabbing a lot of attention atm. Like Elden Ring did. I'm sure we'll see something inspired from BG3 in an upcoming update lol.

Side note, I have not seen Destiny 2 this low in player count in a while. Don't know what happened but I hope DE doesn't take any notes from Bungie.

Don't forget Remnant 2. Its gameplay mechanics are somewhat similar to Warframe with the procedurally generated levels, looting, and it has guns. I am not surprised it managed to poach some bored Warframe players. Its average player count is very close to Warframe. Man, July-August is filled with decent releases, and the "content drought" adds insult to the injury.

37 minutes ago, trst said:

Conclave: 10 years old

Actually making me feel so old.
I have a screenshot from 2015 where I was unable to get anymore conclave rep for the day and being sad about it.

God. It was so good when you had a small selection of frames and weapons. So much less cheese.

The more they added, the worse it got. 

9 minutes ago, Voltage said:

This is definitely a large factor. There's an old clip from Steve pointing out that TennoCon results in their biggest peaks for player logins when they generally don't add any content (I think this was in 2018, the year prior to their decision to drop Wukong Prime Access during TennoLive).

Yeah, this makes sense.  I was trying to figure out why July would so consistently be a big uptick for WF when it normally isn't for other games I'm familiar with, and couldn't come up with any other persuasive reason.

39 minutes ago, trst said:

But the problem with that is what defines and warrants "increased quality"?

Archwing has been neglected for sure but DE put it on the chopping block when one of the last mentions of it was deleting the stand alone nodes entirely.

Conclave doesn't get a lot of attention but it has always had low engagement and a lot of players are actively against PvP.

PoE has been updated multiple times. At what point is it, or anything similar, just "done" instead of needing more?

Railjack does everything that was promised (minus the single cutscene players wanted for some reason). It could use more content but again at what point is it "done"?

Then there's even the issue of requiring entirely new content to justify changes in the first place as players won't return to something they finished just because it's now "better". Plus there's already a precedent for low engagement on updated content as evident from frame reworks not doing much to usage numbers.

Its easy really. Archwing and Railjack need one thing to be officially complete, CONNECTION. Aka you fly manually in railjack/archwing into a mission, or maybe you join several railjacks together in railjack missions, stuff like that. In openworld there needs to be a way to use arch gear too. Conclave just needs orokin reactors, nitain, rivens or something worth the players time, fewer limitations (you use like less than quarter of WF stuff in there and normal mods dont work there) and of course clan vs clan warfare. Not to mention there can be fun modes like asymetric multiplayer when one guy is a boss and others are tenno, so it kinda feels like PVE. But then again, the first question the devs and players need to ask themselves is "do we want PVP in this game at all?" If yes, then improve it, if not, then delete it.

And overall the "quality" standard is when there is only a minimum of bugs, aka not falling through ground and stuff like that, and also when the content is not a content island only good for the one mode, also when the content is not something you do only once and never again unless you have to (for NW or smth).

59 minutes ago, Metalgearfox said:

I just want harder content.

They should have randomized boss rushes, no revives, with affixes that you can upgrade like keys. The bosses should have additional mechanics instead of just falling over. 

Just use what you've already made in the game, modify it with some new mechanics, make it mythic+. 

best way to do that, without affecting the new players, is to allow a restart so you can play it all over again but 2nd time round with rebalanced damage etc. If you don't want the challenge after playing through normally, then you don't restart. If you do, the game awaits all over again. Everyone wins then and it builds on the success of the game as a whole.

8 minutes ago, CephalonCarnage said:

best way to do that, without affecting the new players, is to allow a restart so you can play it all over again but 2nd time round with rebalanced damage etc. If you don't want the challenge after playing through normally, then you don't restart. If you do, the game awaits all over again. Everyone wins then and it builds on the success of the game as a whole.

I think a prestige system could actually be very healthy for the game, but it would need to be carefully done as some items in Warframe take way too long to farm because they aren't balanced around farming it multiple times. The same goes for unique items like Riven Mods, time limited event items, etc. 

The best way I could see them doing this is adding a "challenge mode" where you replay sections of the game from scratch, and completing the stages would give you something for your profile/cosmetics to show other players you achieved it. Big boy junctions in a way. You'd have to create this kind of fresh start system in a way where the player can earn something that returns them to their "main account" that they've spent so long progressing.

1 hour ago, DrivaMain said:

Don't forget Remnant 2. Its gameplay mechanics are somewhat similar to Warframe with the procedurally generated levels, looting, and it has guns. I am not surprised it managed to poach some bored Warframe players. Its average player count is very close to Warframe. Man, July-August is filled with decent releases, and the "content drought" adds insult to the injury.

Remnant 2 slaps hard but there's nowhere near as much procedural generation and the mechanics are more akin to souls-like games. Between that and baldurs gate I forget to even log in for daily reward lately lol

It's the money that matters.

You can read off google Tecent has a "market cap of $403.93 billion, making them the world's 20th most valuable company.

It's hard to imagine Tencent is not going to let it go no matter what, at least a while into mobile for the chinese market.

But who knows, their sales could be doing great.

I personally seen neckbeards admitting to spending $1000 a month on a single video game, so as crazy as it seems it's really about how many whales you have in your game.

59 minutes ago, CephalonCarnage said:

If you don't want the challenge after playing through normally, then you don't restart. If you do, the game awaits all over again

How is that different than SP? I enjoy SP but we need like... Steelier Steel Path or something lol.

I think keys work well for this kind of thing; maps in PoE, M+ in wow, badass levels in borderlands, nightmare dungeons in d4, etc.

7 minutes ago, (XBOX)Hellsteeth30 said:

unless Bethesda Bethesda's and it's buggier than a value box of fruit from the Amazon rain forest.

I mean... that's a given.
I'll wait a year for modders to fix it and then play it with mods. 

3 hours ago, Metalgearfox said:

Does this make perfect sense to anyone else?
My backlog is like; Tears of the Kingdom, Baldurs Gate 3, Final Fantasy 16, Remnant 2, rogue legacy 2, dead cells castlvania dlc... AND THAT'S JUST THIS YEAR.

I need like... a year off of work to just play steam games. 

Lol my backlog is so huge at this point quantifying it is pointless. 

Archived