Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Speed rework

Itty7

I find it hard to play when a Volt joins and keeps hitting their speed ability.

I understand that some plays may not be good at the game and may chose to run through the levels but I parkour through and when a Volt turns on speed, I start running into walls.

We should trim it down to either just the single player or within a range.  Do something to not force it onto everyone else.

• Like 2

Old topic, my friend, and one you're not going to get a lot of traction on.

There was, a few years back now, a massive push DE did to test Volt's Speed and how it could be reworked to make it easier for players like yourself to work around.

However, DE approached this with one premise, that they will not change: Volt's Speed is a buff, DE want buffs to work on people by default, and then give players the option to not be buffed after.

So DE made multiple patches and reworks to Speed to try and make it optional. One of the major ones was simply to make Speed a pickup for other players, an item that Volt dropped and moved on from so that team members could pick it up or not depending on if they wanted the buff.

This didn't really work because players that cast it usually did so in locations where it was difficult to avoid, like doorways or the start of corridors, where they wanted to start sprinting from. This meant that players had a tough time avoiding picking it up anyway and so they needed the 'opt out' of the backflip anyway. Then there was the inconsistency with players that were keeping up with Volt being ahead of him when he cast and not getting the buff when they wanted it, because the item dropped behind Volt.

Others were tried, there were about six different patches back then that attempted to tweak Speed to make it more user-friendly.

In the end, the simplest way to deal with it was to revert Speed back to normal and ensure that the 'opt out' was in place, the back-flip to opt-out allowed all the players that wanted to keep Speed and use it normally to do that, while the players that don't want to use it can choose not to in game.

As annoying as it is to you to have to back-flip every time you want to not run fast, it was apparently more annoying for everyone else that wants and likes Speed, or even is just neutral to it, to lose it by having any of the other opt-out or opt-in methods that they tried.

Another thing you can do is turn off the setting that warps your screen effects, if you haven't already, so that the effect of Speed isn't so disorienting. That might stop you from running into walls so frequently.

And the last thing would be... maybe just practice a little with Volt himself in low-level missions? Get used to what Speed does with different levels of modding, and that way you can stop running into walls when it happens.

Couldn't really hurt, could it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

In the end, the simplest way to deal with it was to revert Speed back to normal and ensure that the 'opt out' was in place, the back-flip to opt-out allowed all the players that wanted to keep Speed and use it normally to do that, while the players that don't want to use it can choose not to in game.

The issue is the Volt player spamming the speed skill every few seconds. It doesn't matter if I'm backflipping out if the Volt player keeps slamming that button.

I think a good compromise would be to add in a re-application timer for allies that backflip out of the skill. 

Volt casts speed, a squadmate backflips out, that ally can't be affected by any Volt's speed for the next 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

This is long enough for most Volt-favored levels to conclude (Exterminate/Capture/etc) but not so long as to be completely punishing to a teammate who *accidentally* backflipped out during an endless mission.

Edited by Qriist
  • Like 1

There are two obvious solutions IMO:

• turning into a tap/hold ability; tap to cast on self, hold to cast in an AoE (as normal)
  • changing it to only buff sprint speed; players who don't want to be fast can simply walk, and players who are choosing to sprint probably don't mind since they are sprinting to be fast anyways

3 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

And the last thing would be... maybe just practice a little with Volt himself in low-level missions? Get used to what Speed does with different levels of modding, and that way you can stop running into walls when it happens.

The problem is control and lack of choice when opting in to the so-called buff. Playing as Volt gives you full control, not playing as Volt and being in a squad with a Speed spammer means never knowing when you're going to get Speed.

That's bad game design, because a game has to feel good to play in order to be a good game, and overall Warframe is fun enough to play. But if I'm fighting the controls because I got an unexpected and uncontrollable speed buff, that's frustrating

Right now the only control we have is to leave missions with Volts in them, which is pseudo-toxic in a way and not good for the state of the game in the long-run

Edited by Pakaku

2 hours ago, Qriist said:

The issue is the Volt player spamming the speed skill every few seconds. It doesn't matter if I'm backflipping out if the Volt player keeps slamming that button.

Yeah, we're aware.

I'm reporting this, for the information of the OP, not drawing suppositions.

51 minutes ago, Pakaku said:

The problem is control and lack of choice when opting in to the so-called buff. Playing as Volt gives you full control, not playing as Volt and being in a squad with a Speed spammer means never knowing when you're going to get Speed.

Again; We. Are. Aware.

Suggesting methods to make the best out of the bad situation is all I've got for OP.

Good luck, I am in the same position and Volt is the #1 reason why I still play solo most of the time. Wisp is a close 2nd.

The times I play public, if I see a Volt or Wisp then I leave. Just unfortunate it's 2 frames that keeps matchmaking set to solo most of the time. Currently have 4473 quit missions and willing to bet half of them are because of Volt/Wisp.

Sure Volt has an "opt out" if you feel like backflipping every 5 seconds, but that's a terrible attempt of an opt out. Wisp is even more annoying with jumping into the abyss to get rid of it. Ultimately this game is just better solo than dealing with people obsessed with speed.

Personally I would be happy with a setting to opt out of all buffs that affect allies. Getting rid of all buffs in my opinion would be a good compromise if it means getting rid of the worst ones.

Edited by Hello

37 minutes ago, Hello said:

Wisp is a close 2nd.

I'm not sure why, but to me there is something very different about Wisp's speed buffs that I always look forward to. I think it has to do with the more opt-in nature. You obviously can't *always* avoid the plant rings, but you usually can, and you can therefore just ignore it if you want.

• Like 1

Okay but that sounds like a skill issue. I run about 200% strength on my Volt, but I don't find the buff to be THAT extreme, it takes a second of running straight to kick in.

If it is your first hundred hours on the game, I'd understand you're still trying to figure out how to even just breathe. That being said, the only content I ever come across low MR players is when I'm doing fissures but none interest me in SP. If I'm running Volt there, it's most likely due to running Capture or Exterminate, which I'm not gonna have last for 5 minutes because of someone refuses to leg it after I vacuum cleaned the place.

If you don't want Speed applied to you over and over, you can also press the chat button and calmly ask the Volt player not to dry his nuts on his 2 key. A little communication goes a long way. A longer way than a thread lost in a forum that will get you nowhere.

Still going to be this absolute donkey of a lunatic bonehead mashing my 2.