Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Duet Night Abyss game... Its very noticeable right?

Fuyn

28 minutes ago, (PSN)Lollybomb said:

I get the sentiment, but good luck.  You'd have to take them on in China, and China almost always sides with their own companies on these matters.  They've copied cars from the likes of BMW, and when challenged on the matter the courts basically went "We don't know what you're talking about.  The two look nothing alike."

I mean Tencent has ownship steak with DE....so they could take them on.

But that's unlikely since ultimately both companies are owned by the CCP.

• Like 1

Well this is as subtle as a rock painted blue thrown into a neon bullseye sign! 

Sometimes stuff like this is good. Not often. But sometimes. Perhaps if they come up with some good original ideas, DE can steal them right back. But I'm hardly worried at the moment. One of Warframe's problems is that it's a unique blend of various different genres, so it can rest on its laurels somewhat because there's not a great alternative. You can get as good if not better mobility shooters, RPG's, Hack'n'Slashes, etc. but not all in one lump like WF. Unless they crib the style directly, as in this case.

5 hours ago, (XBOX)Cram Duahcim said:

I mean Tencent has ownship steak with DE....so they could take them on.

But that's unlikely since ultimately both companies are owned by the CCP.

well yes but actually no.

tencent has ownership over leyou, which has a specific type of share from DE that gives them NO say in what DE does, just a cut of the profits and the rights to deal with the chinese version of warframe (which iirc was discontinued, it's where umbra prime came from as well as being a weird very altered version to abide by chinese law) 

On 2023-10-21 at 5:51 PM, dregomz said:

Typical chinese studio that don't care about morals they just rip off anything they see what's popular and profitable and then make it their own for $$$.

As if Instagram Threads or any modern game with a battle pass after Fortnite is any different. I always love the "China bad" claim and the "bad" part is the same thing everyone else does. Greed isn't geographically biased.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 1

On 2023-10-25 at 10:23 AM, (PSN)Lollybomb said:

I get the sentiment, but good luck.  You'd have to take them on in China, and China almost always sides with their own companies on these matters.  They've copied cars from the likes of BMW, and when challenged on the matter the courts basically went "We don't know what you're talking about.  The two look nothing alike."

Even in America or Canada, I don't think there would be much of a case for any kind of infringement, because broadly speaking game mechanics aren't legally protected by any manner of copyright.  So if a manager at this company looked at Warframe and told their team to "make that game, but with anime girls", and then that team created their own animations and code to make a Warframe clone, I would be surprised to hear there was anything DE could do about it since they only copied gameplay mechanics.  If the game was a 1-to-1 recreation of Warframe with a different skin, DE might have a case, but the more these devs have differed the game's systems from Warframe, the more likely they would be in the clear regardless of the jurisdiction.

However, if the devs didn't simply reverse engineer Warframe, but somehow actually stole the literal assets that DE created, and DE could prove that the assets were the same in a trial, then they would definitely have a solid case in a Western court.  At present, we don't have enough information to determine this though; someone would probably need to do the fancy work of datamining the actual assets in the game and comparing them to Warframe's or something.

Sadly, the best form of defense against a game like this is simply word of mouth.  People tend to feel negative about copycats, which creates an innate repulsion as long as customers are informed enough to know it's a copycat.

• Like 2

Honestly, I'm not really seeing the plagiarism, inspiration maybe, but really just a game studio tossing in all the things that are popular from anime and other anime game mechanics.

Yes the Gunslinger Female moves very similar to how Mesa does, but Mesa moves similarly to how every anime game with a gun class moves, it's like every action game designer watched 2002's Equilibrium and was immediately in love with "Gun Kata", see Lost Ark's Gunslinger, PSO2's Gunner, etc.

"Bullet jumping" and climbing on walls has been in every ninja game ever and is super popular with recent titles like Breadth of the Wild, Genshin, Tower of Fantasy, etc.

Calling this plagiarism is like when people would compare Destiny and Warframe back in the day because they were both FPS with space magic in the SOL system, but once anyone plays them you realize just how different things are and of course, since they're release a lot has changed for things to branch out in their own unique directions as well.

On 2023-10-25 at 1:00 PM, (PSN)drollive96 said:

Digital extremes needs to take action now, if this disgusting  ripoff becomes successful, Warframe could be in trouble, they have copied abilitys and animations almost exactly from Warframe, THIS IS NOT LEGAL, it needs to be stopped NOW, i dont want Warframe to be hurt by this

On 2023-10-25 at 1:07 PM, (PSN)drollive96 said:

The game has copied and pasted Warframe animations And ablities, almost exactly, the Warframe community NEEDS to take action, or the damage could be irreparable, this disgusting shameless rip off of digital extremes property must NEVER see the light of day

You can't really do that when it's from another country... 

Not to mention that these types of games either flop, or the game will only be "like Warframe" to draw people in and then it'll turn into it's own game that's unique, so unless the game magically becomes better than Warframe in every single way possible (I seriously doubt every character is going to be highly customizable) de has nothing to fear.

Edited by (XBOX)Upl0rdYT

• 4 weeks later...
On 2023-10-25 at 7:15 PM, Voltage said:

As if Instagram Threads or any modern game with a battle pass after Fortnite is any different. I always love the "China bad" claim and the "bad" part is the same thing everyone else does. Greed isn't geographically biased.

Lack of copywrote laws is is geographically biased and that's China notorious for blatant ripoffs of everything you know n love and all things popular.

Your argument is misplaced here, this is typical of China.

Is Fortnite a ripoff of anything? Are modern games a ripoff of each other? DO Battle Passes count for ripoffs?

This goes far beyond greed.

And yea, China is bad...It's a communist country and bans cartoon characters for being used to make fun of it's thin skinned dictator and vilifies those that side with Taiwan and call them a country and the mass censorship and social credit BS, etc. So yes, China bad. Qiute easy top get banned from China too. Jus visit the Dalai Lama or say Taiwan is a country or praise Taiwan.