Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Facts you didn’t need to know

Aruquae

Rule is simple, post a random fact nobody needed to know

I’ll go first: Pineapple has enzymes that act as a defense mechanism. Yea that funky taste in your mouth while eating the pineapple… is the pineapple eating you

5 hours ago, Aruquae said:

Pineapple has enzymes that act as a defense mechanism. Yea that funky taste in your mouth while eating the pineapple… is the pineapple eating you

"Defense mechanism" is inaccurate. They're just there to help the pineapple tree break down its nutrients. Meaning the "trying to eat you back" part unfortunately is true

16 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

Fact: Birds have no receptors for Capsicum, the chemical which makes Chillies hot. this means that if you were to have a chilli-eating contest with a bird, you would never win.

Ace Attorney Loop GIF by Xbox

Most birds have a significantly smaller stomach than a person, so even someone with mild resistance to spicy food could win a chilli eating contest by eating more than than the bird's stomach capacity!

Edited by Aldain
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aruquae said:

What did I start...
Keep it coming, destroy my notifications people

If you insist...

Coffee is just ground up bean soup.

Giraffes are 30 times more likely to be struck by lighting than people.

You can fracture a rib if you sneeze too hard.

Avocados are not vegetables, they're actually large single seed berries.

The match was invented after the lighter. 

1 hour ago, Aruquae said:

What did I start...
Keep it coming, destroy my notifications people

wearing headphones for an hour can increase the bacteria in your ears by 700 times.

the full name for Los Angeles is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula".

cats have 32 muscles in each ear.

Ostriches have bigger eyes than they do brains.

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.

and a personal favourite of mine:

the invention of the microwave oven was inspired by the moment when it's creator walked past a magnetron, causing a bar of chocolate in his pocket to melt from the heat. were it not for chocolate, the microwave might never have been invented!

Edited by (PSN)robotwars7

11 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

wearing headphones for an hour can increase the bacteria in your ears by 700 times.

I regret ever reading this, but I guess I asked for it

Another random fact: If your fart makes a noise in outer space, you’ll create a black hole and most likely die. Something to do with sound waves being loud enough to create noise in space would create a black hole. 

Thomas Crapper did not create the first flushing toilet, he was just an advocate for bathroom sanitation, sadly, his name says otherwise

Edited by Aruquae
Info

49 minutes ago, TeaHands said:

The original voice actor for Ducky in The Land Before Time was brutally murdered by her own father at the age of 10. the land before time graphics GIF

Aw hell no

Now that is a fact I really didn't need to know.

Fact:

In theory, if you eat enough bananas, you would die from radioactive poisoning. That's because they contain Potassium-40.

Edited by o0Despair0o

49 minutes ago, o0Despair0o said:

Fact:

In theory, if you eat enough bananas, you would die from radioactive poisoning. That's because they contain Potassium-40.

10 million to be precise, or 274 a day for 7 years.

...Which honestly at that point the radiation would be the least of your concern.

22 minutes ago, o0Despair0o said:

Yeap, that's where I first heard of it.

As for another bonus fact: Bees can get drunk on fermented tree sap.

Edited by Aldain

On 2024-01-23 at 5:29 PM, Aldain said:

You can fracture a rib if you sneeze too hard.

I sneeze way harder than anyone I've ever known. When I get older I'm either going to die because a shelf from one of my collections falls on me, or I sneeze so hard I snap a rib and puncture my own lung.