Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is the usage of a simple E holding Macro bannable?

Isu-

Question

Hello! so recently I broke my finger at school and had trouble using melees normally, I tried changing my keybinds but was unable to get used to it and ultimately thought about using a macro that only holds E and set it as one of my buttons on my mouse, that way I can just melee by holding that button until my finger is fully healed. is that a bannable thing?

Thanks

9 answers to this question

11 минут назад, Isu- сказал:

Hello! so recently I broke my finger at school and had trouble using melees normally, I tried changing my keybinds but was unable to get used to it and ultimately thought about using a macro that only holds E and set it as one of my buttons on my mouse, that way I can just melee by holding that button until my finger is fully healed. is that a bannable thing?

Thanks

Generally speaking DE doesn't allow any macros. But for as long as the macro doesn't play for you it should be safe. So something simple like holding one button shouldn't cause any problems.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Isu- said:

Why do not simply rebind the Melee button to one of your Mouse keys? There is no need for macro. Warframe supports multiple button mouses.

Edited by Zakkhar
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Isu- said:

Thanks

I guess you had break from warframe? *pun not intended* DE introduced "hold to melee" feature. You hold melee key and frame keeps using melee. I'm not sure if it works on heavies.

Then there is some option that let you use Mouse for melee, "Melee for fire weapon input" that let's you use same key as shooting (Left mouse button in my case). I have block and alt fire on RMB. If you tap alt-fire from quick melee then game changes into gun-mode. If you keep holding RMB and attacking then you will still use melee. But you can "fully equip" with just holding melee.

Then there is option that let's you tap block/alt-fire instead of holding, "tap...." something.

Hope it helps!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Isu- said:

You actually don't even need a macro to do this: holding your melee button down will continually melee until you let go!  That's just part of the game now. =)

• Like 2

On 2024-02-12 at 6:15 PM, Isu- said:

Thanks

No,  but maybe.  

DE's official stance on macros is that they're okay for accessibility,  bannable if they automate the game.    This ammounts to use them at your own risk,  but you'll probably be okay.  

The big risk factor is running macro software in conjunction with anomalous mission results.     Like if you do a 90 hour survival and you use macros,  that'll be a problem for you.   (Protip,  don't do 90-hour survivals). 

On 2024-02-12 at 6:10 PM, Zakkhar said:

Why do not simply rebind the Melee button to one of your Mouse keys? There is no need for macro. Warframe supports multiple button mouses.

My mouse is pretty bad and old, and I only have the scroll wheel that I can bind it to but that feels weird and i wasnt able to use it 

On 2024-02-15 at 10:03 PM, hyzmarca said:

No,  but maybe.  

DE's official stance on macros is that they're okay for accessibility,  bannable if they automate the game.    This ammounts to use them at your own risk,  but you'll probably be okay.  

The big risk factor is running macro software in conjunction with anomalous mission results.     Like if you do a 90 hour survival and you use macros,  that'll be a problem for you.   (Protip,  don't do 90-hour survivals). 

well i wont do anything like automated, it's just that i can run around and press E on my mouse instead of my keyboard

On 2024-02-12 at 6:10 PM, quxier said:

I guess you had break from warframe? *pun not intended* DE introduced "hold to melee" feature. You hold melee key and frame keeps using melee. I'm not sure if it works on heavies.

Then there is some option that let you use Mouse for melee, "Melee for fire weapon input" that let's you use same key as shooting (Left mouse button in my case). I have block and alt fire on RMB. If you tap alt-fire from quick melee then game changes into gun-mode. If you keep holding RMB and attacking then you will still use melee. But you can "fully equip" with just holding melee.

Then there is option that let's you tap block/alt-fire instead of holding, "tap...." something.

Hope it helps!

I tried this and it works fine for now, thank you

On 2024-02-13 at 1:59 PM, RLanzinger said:

To @Isu-,

Use the old Wheel Up for Attack, Wheel Down for melee whish is very usefull when Index/Keyboard finger are "Out of Order".

... with any gamer mouse like my ol' G502.

Good Recovery 😇

Thanks!

• Like 1

Once upon a time a "on/off click to automate E" would have been considered bannable (I had a friend who was banned for using such an automated "E"+"down"-macro in order to facilitate a steerable "Meeming"-efficiency during the "spin-to-win"-phase), but now with auto-melee as part of the game such an automation might be ok. Personally I wouldn't risk it even so, because the "win" is disproportionally small compared to the "loss" (a complete and total ban really sucks).

The same guy then allowed his kid brother to play on his Warframe account while being away for a little over a year, which went unnoticed by DE. But they did notice when he took it back, resulting in another total ban. He is now on his third "Warframe odyssey". To his credit he accepts full responsibility and does not blame DE (but he also prefers not to think on all those thousands of hours lost...).

The rest of the clan is actually grateful, most are hardcore gamers and use macros and other keyboard/mouse-setups extensively (where allowed and where not-so-allowed), but due to his experiences no-one else has tried to push the envelope with Warframe. Personally I do think a lot more bans happen than most players realize, they just go unnoticed since the players just leave Warframe, and few have to mettle to try and defend what they did (and even that doesn't lead anywhere).

My advice is to use the same principle as when analyzing IRL law: it is the intent of the law that decides the outcome, not the letter of the law. And DE has been consistently clear with the intent: do NOT automate functions that are designed as un-automated in the game. You can combine single-press actions as a combined macro, allowing you to do multiple things with one keypress but you cannot add a "keypress on/keypress off"-function if it isn't already in the game. With the possible exception of "keypress on-melee", due to the new auto-melee. But personally I wouldn't risk even that (use the official auto-melee instead).

Edited by Graavarg