Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why are Supporter Pack skins being resold for Platinum?

4 minutes ago, ----Legacy---- said:

I think at least the accolade should have been given for free or at lest through an alert. It's a little thing that people won't notice unless getting out of their way to check someone's profile and making players who have been playing for years -founders (11 years ago) and closed beta players in many cases (both groups with accolades)-  not get this one just because of not buying an overpriced bundle with possibly unwanted stuff due to whatever reason while someone else could legit make an account in December 2023, buy the pack and have a "10 years supporter" accolade is straight up nonsense.

Just because someone is a founder doesn't mean they deserve every subsequent accolade without further supporting the game just because they are one.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ghastly-Ghoul said:

I don't think you read my post correctly. I said "IF it was released a year later."

It's out of the question, it will never be re released

I mainly posted because some ppl are already bringing the heirloom or founders items to the table, they should not because they are not the same as supporter packs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ghastly-Ghoul said:

Just because someone is a founder doesn't mean they deserve every subsequent accolade without further supporting the game just because they are one.

DE gave them one already nonetheless, just like they gave one to closed beta players as well.

That's a nice nitpicking you got there, btw.

• Like 1

Just now, KIREEK said:

It's out of the question, it will never be re released

I mainly posted because some ppl are already bringing the heirloom or founders items to the table, they should not because they are not the same as supporter packs.

I was expressing a sentiment. I don't think you're a native English speaker so I'm not sure if you can comprehend.

2 minutes ago, ----Legacy---- said:

DE gave them one already nonetheless, just like they gave one to closed beta players as well.

That's a nice nitpicking you got there, btw.

Just like the other person, I think you have poor reading comprehension skills. Founders did not receive an Heirloom Bundle accolade without buying the pack. Correct me if I'm wrong. I was saying Founders don't deserve the 10 year support accolade without having bought the pack.

Edited by Ghastly-Ghoul

Just like the other person, I think you have poor reading comprehension skills. Founders did not receive an Heirloom Bundle accolade without buying the pack. Correct me if I'm wrong. I was saying Founders don't deserve the 10 year support accolade without having bought the pack.

Could you point where did i say that founders got or should have gotten a heirloom bundle or the accolade for free? 

Do that and only then we can talk about poor reading comprehension skills because i'm sure i said that everyone should have gotten a 10 years supporter accolade.

Edited by ----Legacy----
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ----Legacy---- said:

Could you point where did i say that founders got or should have gotten a heirloom bundle or the accolade for free? 

Do that and only then we can talk about poor reading comprehension skills because i'm sure i said that everyone should have gotten a 10 years supporter accolade.

This entire comment.

21 minutes ago, ----Legacy---- said:

I think at least the accolade should have been given for free or at lest through an alert. It's a little thing that people won't notice unless getting out of their way to check someone's profile and making players who have been playing for years -founders (11 years ago) and closed beta players in many cases (both groups with accolades)-  not get this one just because of not buying an overpriced bundle with possibly unwanted stuff due to whatever reason while someone else could legit make an account in December 2023, buy the pack and have a "10 years supporter" accolade is straight up nonsense.

Edited by Ghastly-Ghoul

Just now, Ghastly-Ghoul said:

This entire comment.

You should totally read it carefully since i think it's clear enough that an accolade should have been given to everyone; founders and CB tester groups were used as just an example of players who got an accolade for free way after their contribution was over; both during 2013 so have legit been around for 10 years but could still get nothing just like anyone who didn't the buy the bundle but has also been around for that long.

If your take on it was "founders should have gotten a heirloom accolade for free" then it says a lot about your reading comprehension skills.

• Like 2

You didn't say "everyone" but you did say it should be given for free in an alert which can be interpreted as everyone. Your comment had 2 sentences and the last one was a run-on sentence. In that last sentence, you chose to specifically focus on Founders and Beta Testers. Visually, the majority of your comment focused on them. I think it's disingenuous to say that you weren't shooting for their appeal.

People may have supported them with in-game purchases in those 11 years, but DE was asking for your support during the time the bundle was available. Those who didn't support the game this time didn't receive the accolade. It's that simple.

When people buy prime accessories, others can see how you supported the game. It's not much different.

10 Year Supporter is more of an indication that you supported an event or celebration rather than the whole length of time.

19 minutes ago, ----Legacy---- said:

You should totally read it carefully since i think it's clear enough that an accolade should have been given to everyone; founders and CB tester groups were used as just an example of players who got an accolade for free way after their contribution was over; both during 2013 so have legit been around for 10 years but could still get nothing just like anyone who didn't the buy the bundle but has also been around for that long.

If your take on it was "founders should have gotten a heirloom accolade for free" then it says a lot about your reading comprehension skills.

Edited by Ghastly-Ghoul

3 minutes ago, Ghastly-Ghoul said:

You didn't say "everyone" but you did say it should be given for free in an alert which can be interpreted as everyone.

Exactly

Your comment had 2 sentences and the last one was a run-on sentence. In that last sentence, you chose to specifically focus on Founders and Beta Testers.

Becauae both groups are players who can prove they've been around for 10 years:

-Founders with their exclusive gear, sigils, profile picture and accolade.

-CBT players with their accolade (nonidea if they were given anything else later once lato and braton vandal were released for everyone)

6 minutes ago, Ghastly-Ghoul said:

Visually, the majority of your comment focused on them. I think it's disingenuous to say that you weren't shooting for their appeal.

That's entirely your interpretation due to the reason listed above.

7 minutes ago, Ghastly-Ghoul said:

People may have supported them with in-game purchases in those 11 years, but DE was asking for your support during the time the bundle was available.

The point is, they could have done an accolade that every player can get to show in profile. They aren't shy to boast player count saying stuff like "Warframe has millions of registered losers" but suddenly they decide to make a 10 years event to celebrate players... But only the ones who spend money on packs with a bloated price from bundling with unwanted stuff (like regal aya) end up having something to say "i've been here for 10 years) even if they made an account on Dec 30 2023 and bought the bundles while everyone else is left with pretty much the same stuff that keeps coming back on a yearly basis.

7 minutes ago, Ghastly-Ghoul said:

Those who didn't support the game this time didn't receive the accolade. It's that simple.

Fun enough, this bit makes it sound like plat and prime access purchases don't count like supporting the devs during the 10 years pseudo celebration.

13 minutes ago, Ghastly-Ghoul said:

When people buy prime accessories, others can see how you supported the game. It's not much different.

It's different in the sense that prime accessories at least keep coming back and there's no way to tell if you got them the first, second, third, etc time these were around. Also, i'm yet to see anyone get an accolade or something in their profile that makes them stand out as a supporter.

Hell, not even supporter bundles which were initially sold as exclusives with some stuff that would be placed in the market later down the road seem to have anything to show off either now that DE is bringing their whole content back for platinum which is the main topic of this thread.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, (XBOX)Timidobserver said:

Never expect things to be exclusive forever. It will always eventually be sold. 

Unless specified like Excalibur Prime
They never got that treatment, thankfully

20 minutes ago, ----Legacy---- said:

Exactly

Becauae both groups are players who can prove they've been around for 10 years:

-Founders with their exclusive gear, sigils, profile picture and accolade.

-CBT players with their accolade (nonidea if they were given anything else later once lato and braton vandal were released for everyone)

That's entirely your interpretation due to the reason listed above.

The point is, they could have done an accolade that every player can get to show in profile. They aren't shy to boast player count saying stuff like "Warframe has millions of registered losers" but suddenly they decide to make a 10 years event to celebrate players... But only the ones who spend money on packs with a bloated price from bundling with unwanted stuff (like regal aya) end up having something to say "i've been here for 10 years) even if they made an account on Dec 30 2023 and bought the bundles while everyone else is left with pretty much the same stuff that keeps coming back on a yearly basis.

Fun enough, this bit makes it sound like plat and prime access purchases don't count like supporting the devs during the 10 years pseudo celebration.

It's different in the sense that prime accessories at least keep coming back and there's no way to tell if you got them the first, second, third, etc time these were around. Also, i'm yet to see anyone get an accolade or something in their profile that makes them stand out as a supporter.

Hell, not even supporter bundles which were initially sold as exclusives with some stuff that would be placed in the market later down the road seem to have anything to show off either now that DE is bringing their whole content back for platinum which is the main topic of this thread.

Both groups of players can't prove they've been around for 10 years. A founder could have supported the game during the campaign and decided to take a 9 year long hiatus or a noob could have bought a founder's account.

Honestly, the regal aya in that bundle wasn't that bad for me. That just means I can purchase more prime accessories and for those who already have all the prime accessories, you have essentially acquired a gift card for when you don't want to purchase a prime access. Save it for a rainy day.

Buying prime accessories is still support and others acknowledge that you have supported the game by looking at them. Maybe they didn't need your money then, but they asked for our money with the Heirloom pack and we got an accolade for it. Nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors anyway. DE is a part of a conglomerate now and have a more professional PR department than when they were an independent studio 10+ years ago. This means that they would be less inclined now than ever to say they are struggling financially. Whatever the case, I don't think it's reasonable to be upset over this. Even if they wanted more money in the quarter to secure shareholder interest, I don't think that's a reason to not receive an accolade.

My sentiment is that I do not need to show off. I bought the skins for myself, and the accolade was an extra I couldn't part with even if I wanted to. The supporter packs said timed-exclusive and guess what, the people who bought them basically rented the timed-exclusivity. You enjoyed it for a while and now others will too.

Edited by Ghastly-Ghoul

42 minutes ago, Ghastly-Ghoul said:

reading comprehension skills.

40 minutes ago, ----Legacy---- said:

poor reading comprehension

Communication is a two way street. Its okay if we don't necessarily always infer correctly about others points, or that our points may not have been phrased in such a way to communicate what we mean clearly. Especially in settings where we can request clarity or politely inquire about a persons meaning if we legitimately believe they have poor reading comprehension. I use to work with individuals with poor reading comprehension, because of certain developmental issues. You know what was never really helpful? Accusing them of having poor reading comprehension. Wasn't really any point to it, other than potentially feeling smug. Its not often that its either relevant or beneficial to accuse someone that way, since there are usually better alternatives. Like if someone misunderstands you, or misinterprets, clarifying your points is a decent start. Or if someones point seems muddled, requesting clarification. 

For the record, I personally interpreted Legacy's post as implicitly suggesting that they think "everyone", or at least anyone who has played Warframe in the last ten years, at the time of the Accolade, Founders and Beta players as well, naturally, since they are included with everyone. Though specifically mentioning them, I assume because they did get types of Accolades respectively. That also being said, I did have to double check what they meant, and initially thought it was odd to emphasis Founders and Beta players after, because they would have been implicit if they had just talked about everyone. So I could also see where Ghastly was coming from with their interpretation. 

Either way, I don't really think accusations of poor reading comprehension or arguments about who implied what, is that important. We can just use our communication skills to have a nicer, chill conversation. Or at the least, sincerely trying to understand each other, because if we are sincere in our efforts, people can and will reciprocate, instead of getting defensive and countering passive insults with their own. Plus the actual crux of the situation is that some people think a "10 Year Supporter" accolade is a bit silly to be given to players who buy one bundle, and its possible for others to justify that to themselves in various means, but it doesn't necessarily mean others will agree. Any random thing can be justified to an individual without necessarily being accurate or valid or making sense to others. 

Plus both of your reading comprehension levels pale compared to mine. I actually won a competition once, it was for the Best Reading Comprehensor on Earth. Decade long title, I came in 1st, Second and #5! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

Communication is a two way street. Its okay if we don't necessarily always infer correctly about others points, or that our points may not have been phrased in such a way to communicate what we mean clearly. Especially in settings where we can request clarity or politely inquire about a persons meaning if we legitimately believe they have poor reading comprehension. I use to work with individuals with poor reading comprehension, because of certain developmental issues. You know what was never really helpful? Accusing them of having poor reading comprehension. Wasn't really any point to it, other than potentially feeling smug. Its not often that its either relevant or beneficial to accuse someone that way, since there are usually better alternatives. Like if someone misunderstands you, or misinterprets, clarifying your points is a decent start. Or if someones point seems muddled, requesting clarification. 

For the record, I personally interpreted Legacy's post as implicitly suggesting that they think "everyone", or at least anyone who has played Warframe in the last ten years, at the time of the Accolade, Founders and Beta players as well, naturally, since they are included with everyone. Though specifically mentioning them, I assume because they did get types of Accolades respectively. That also being said, I did have to double check what they meant, and initially thought it was odd to emphasis Founders and Beta players after, because they would have been implicit if they had just talked about everyone. So I could also see where Ghastly was coming from with their interpretation. 

Either way, I don't really think accusations of poor reading comprehension or arguments about who implied what, is that important. We can just use our communication skills to have a nicer, chill conversation. Or at the least, sincerely trying to understand each other, because if we are sincere in our efforts, people can and will reciprocate, instead of getting defensive and countering passive insults with their own. Plus the actual crux of the situation is that some people think a "10 Year Supporter" accolade is a bit silly to be given to players who buy one bundle, and its possible for others to justify that to themselves in various means, but it doesn't necessarily mean others will agree. Any random thing can be justified to an individual without necessarily being accurate or valid or making sense to others. 

Plus both of your reading comprehension levels pale compared to mine. I actually won a competition once, it was for the Best Reading Comprehensor on Earth. Decade long title, I came in 1st, Second and #5! 

You're a much better person than I. I don't like it when others misunderstand me. When they do, I assume they're also using a condescending tone. But you're right, no need to throw insults around. I suppose I'm just having a bad day, sorry ----Legacy----. I want to be inclusive.

I also think the "10 Year Supporter" was an accolade for supporting an event, Warframe's 10 year anniversary and not necessarily supporting Warframe for all of its 10 years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ghastly-Ghoul said:

You're a much better person than I. I don't like it when others misunderstand me. When they do, I assume they're also using a condescending tone. But you're right, no need to throw insults around. I suppose I'm just having a bad day, sorry ----Legacy----. I want to be inclusive.

I also think the "10 Year Supporter" was an accolade for supporting an event, Warframe's 10 year anniversary and not necessarily supporting Warframe for all of its 10 years.

I think its easier for a random person like myself to insert themselves into a conversation or situation like yours, that may have gotten tense. So don't sell yourself short, I am sure that you are an excellent person, as much as Legacy. Maybe you both didn't win the best Comprehender of the Decade like me, but I comprehend very good. 

Thanks all the same for deescalating the situation too. 

I think thats a good point you raise about the 10th Year Anniversary. I don't really disagree. That being said, if I were working at DE, I probably would have suggested the Accolade be worded a bit differently, just to save a lot of grief and criticism. Like even just be more specific about the wording. "Anniversary Supporter Accolade", and maybe... even suggested something be given to everyone, to anyone who had made an account prior to the 10th year anniversary. Like a "Loyal Supporter Accolade" for any that may have contributed to DE financially or with their time, in its first 10 years. Thanks for playing with us. That way people who brought the pack, can get two, and people who didn't buy the pack, can still feel recognised for their Support as well. Like mentioned earlier, its just a small thing, but avoids the notion or implication that only those that brought the bundles are supporters of the game. 

That also being said... DE tends to overlook such possibilities, but they also tend to take note of when fans point that kind of thing out, and seek to remedy or improve in the future. So I imagine the 20 Year Anniversary Accolade will be more universally positive, hope to see you all then as well, lol. 

Cheers. 

18 minutes ago, Ghastly-Ghoul said:

Both groups of players can't prove they've been around for 10 years. A founder could have supported the game during the campaign and decided to take a 9 year long hiatus or a noob could have bought a founder's account.

I know there's some exceptions, but i'm sure anyone who sees a founder and/or CB player it's easy to think they've been around consistently, even if only coming back to get content from new updates. 

It may not have been the best choice of words to say that they can prove to have been around all the time, but instead should have said that those are accounts legit from 10 years ago and some more.

Honestly, the regal aya in that bundle wasn't that bad for me. That just means I can purchase more prime accessories and for those who already have all the prime accessories, you have essentially acquired a gift card for when you don't want to purchase a prime access. Save it for a rainy day.

The value is subjective indeed, so anyone who has been buying prime accessories consistently through these 10 years gets none from it, the value remains null if the player keeps buying new ones as well and perhaps may skip any accessories because of not liking its design... In which case they'd have to wait a few years for its resurgence and still are unlikely to buy it.

I can see how someone who -hypothetically- may have made an account on Dec 26, liked the game and spent christmas money on heirloom bundles can get full value from it, even more keeping in mind that Mag and Frost Prime resurged for the whole time the packs were available so new players could use their recently bought skins.

Buying prime accessories is still support and others acknowledge that you have supported the game by looking at them. Maybe they didn't need your money then, but they asked for our money with the Heirloom pack and we got an accolade for it.

And it's nice. Just kinda sucks when they advertise the whole year as an event to celebrate players and once the big day arrives, they reveal that what's probably the best thing from the anniversary (Heirloom skins and signas) is also a real money exclusive which can only be obtained bundled with possibly unwanted stuff to inflate pack prices. The accolade is a small thing which could have been given for free; hell you can be sure it wouldn't even be part of the discussion if DE had made a "10 years supporter" accolade for those who bought the bundles and something different for those who were there during the celebration but didn't buy the packs for wharever reason.

Nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors anyway. DE is a part of a conglomerate now and have a more professional PR department than when they were an independent studio 10+ years ago.This means that they would be less inclined now than ever to say they are struggling financially. Whatever the case, I don't think it's reasonable to be upset over this. Even if they wanted more money in the quarter to secure shareholder interest, I don't think that's a reason to not receive an accolade.

And yet despite all the fuss that has been made over founder stuff for the last 10 years, DE decides to make practically the same thing again. At least unlike founder gear it's just cosmetics now but it still doesn't help to get rid of that feel of missing out on nice things despite being there playing and supporting warframe the whole time which, once again, makes it seem like there are first and second class supporters for DE.

Iirc, even Reb mentioned to have lamented on how the Heirloom thing turned out and its poor reception amongst the playerbase, yet still DE didn't do anything to improve it in the line players expected which in the end left that as just empty words used for damage control.

My sentiment is that I do not need to show off. I bought the skins for myself, and the accolade was an extra I couldn't part with even if I wanted to. The supporter packs said timed-exclusive and guess what, the people who bought them basically rented the timed-exclusivity. You enjoyed it for a while and now others will too.

I'd have bought the skins for myself as well, but the thing is, i'm not gonna support predatory practices, even less when these come from a company that built its reputation on having one of the most player friendly free to play business models.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

Thanks for pointing this. As a non-native english speaker, there's always a chance i'm not using the right choice of words or may also misread what others write. Throwing accusations of poor reading comprehension adds nothing to discussion and only make the debate seem more hostile when it shouldn't.

39 minutes ago, Ghastly-Ghoul said:

I suppose I'm just having a bad day, sorry ----Legacy----. I want to be inclusive

It's fine, no worries. Sorry to have thrown those accusations back instead of focusing only on clarifying my point. Hope your day gets better as time goes on.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ----Legacy---- said:

Thanks for pointing this. As a non-native english speaker, there's always a chance i'm not using the right choice of words or may also misread what others write. Throwing accusations of poor reading comprehension adds nothing to discussion and only make the debate seem more hostile when it shouldn't.

No worries, I am a non native English speaker as well. I think your communication is excellent. I wouldn't have guessed English wasn't your first language at all. 

Sometimes I get involved in small misunderstandings though too, with others, but like I said earlier, sometimes its easier for a third party to try intervene. Youself and Ghastly seem well intentioned, and I am glad that all worked out well. 

Cheers! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ----Legacy---- said:

Iirc, even Reb mentioned to have lamented on how the Heirloom thing turned out and its poor reception amongst the playerbase, yet still DE didn't do anything to improve it in the line players expected which in the end left that as just empty words used for damage control.

I'd have bought the skins for myself as well, but the thing is, i'm not gonna support predatory practices, even less when these come from a company that built its reputation on having one of the most player friendly free to play business models.

Reb is a part of the face of DE and is not in control of every aspect of the game. At her level, she is probably influenced a lot by metrics that are used to evaluate the company's operating performance like EBITDA (Earnings before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation, and Amortization). People in leadership positions are going to make certain decisions to increase the earnings of a company. Reb has also dismissed criticisms in the past regarding certain policies by saying she has no part in them, while her job description literally requires her to have a hand in them. In this sense, I don't believe she's publicly genuine 100% of the time due to saving face (face of the company).

While these bundles do seem predatory, I'm trying to grasp how else DE could make money with this game outside of exclusivity, timed or not. It's probably not as profitable anymore to keep the company running with just prime access and the incentivizing of people to buy items with plat (due to the time to acquire said items in conjunction with artificial crafting times). Should they raise Prime Access prices and all the plat bundles in the store? Would you guys buy a $60 expansion? I'm not going to pretend like I have any experience running a company though, just giving food for thought.

I think it's important to talk about inflation a little as well. The average Joe may not having as much buying power as he did pre-Covid and companies have to change their business models to account for this. Maybe the Heirloom bundle was something similar. Maybe stats have shown that even if they reduce prices significantly, people still wouldn't open their wallets due to the times we're living in.

Edited by Ghastly-Ghoul

I see a lot of people bringing up the Heirloom Pack and the Tenet Ambassador.
The latter I'm not too sure on, but I do share their sentiment.

The former however is simply the clockwork of time doing it's work.
What was pointed ages ago has to come to pass.
... that is a glorified way of saying "We told you so, folks!"

In terms of the Heirloom Pack, I just wanna say the fact that it was FOMO is what prevented me from buying it outright.
The price is another contributor to that-- but FOMO was the biggest flag of them all.
Supporter Packs follow a similar idea.

I'm not afraid to buy things in this game, but I do when I feel it's justified.

• I buy Tennogen because it supports the artists, but I'm not paying DE if they keep forgetting they're making a game.
  • I bought Prime Access because the game was in a relatively good state at the time. It's not now.
  • I've considered getting Regal Aya, but choose not to due to the state of the game. In addition, it seems to be clumped into so many packs...
  • I've even bought Platinum on some rare occasions. Rarely do now, even if it's 75% off coupon.

HOWEVER, when I see bad practices cropping up? When I see all the elaborate ways DE is trying to nickel and dime me?
I'm not buying. It's a free game, but if put money into every game that had "free" labelled on it because it suggested to?
I'd need billions to satisfy every single one.

It's by no surprise to me that the Supporter Packs are coming back.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Heirloom Packs came back either.
... but I do hate their need to lie about it. Splice it how ya want-- it's a fraudulent lie at the end of the day.
I can't really feed bad for those who fell for it though, I know a lot of people weren't exactly subtle with trying to point it out. Myself included.

If DE wants to keep marketing things with a deceptive look to them, the community is going to respond in kind.
End of story, this is a bad mark on DE's rep and we're going to hold it to them that they improve... should they choose to.

I'm going to get the items via traded platinum, it's great that more people can enjoy them-- but I'm not happy with how DE seems to try and worm their way around logic.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Ghastly-Ghoul said:

While these bundles do seem predatory, I'm trying to grasp how else DE could make money with this game outside of exclusivity, timed or not. It's probably not as profitable anymore to keep the company running with just prime access and the incentivizing of people to buy items with plat (due to the time to acquire said items in conjunction with artificial crafting times). Should they raise Prime Access prices and all the plat bundles in the store? Would you guys buy a $60 expansion? I'm not going to pretend like I have any experience running a company though, just giving food for thought.

I guess it depends on how you value exclusivity. Is the exclusivity what's worth the $90, or is it the actual stuff you get? While I'm sure that there are some people who will buy specifically for the exclusivity, I'd imagine that most buy these kinds of packs because they like the actual contents - whether it's a cosmetic or the discounted plat or something else.

And how much does DE sell that's actually exclusive? Maybe a few packs a year? In the scheme of things, it's not much at all. They make significantly more content that isn't exclusive, and it's always been this way. And even within those exclusive packs, a lot of the newer bundles are made up mostly of items that are immediately and permanently available for plat. There's also PA content which eventually comes back through Resurgence. There's little that's actually exclusive, and most of that exclusivity is temporary anyways... So how valuable can that exclusivity really be?

There's also the fact that DE's doing well enough that they can fund development of an entirely new game on the side, and that despite inflation they still haven't raised cash prices. So I have doubts that they're really doing so poorly that they need to lean in to things like Heirloom exclusivity in the first place.

30 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

I guess it depends on how you value exclusivity. Is the exclusivity what's worth the $90, or is it the actual stuff you get? While I'm sure that there are some people who will buy specifically for the exclusivity, I'd imagine that most buy these kinds of packs because they like the actual contents - whether it's a cosmetic or the discounted plat or something else.

And how much does DE sell that's actually exclusive? Maybe a few packs a year? In the scheme of things, it's not much at all. They make significantly more content that isn't exclusive, and it's always been this way. And even within those exclusive packs, a lot of the newer bundles are made up mostly of items that are immediately and permanently available for plat. There's also PA content which eventually comes back through Resurgence. There's little that's actually exclusive, and most of that exclusivity is temporary anyways... So how valuable can that exclusivity really be?

There's also the fact that DE's doing well enough that they can fund development of an entirely new game on the side, and that despite inflation they still haven't raised cash prices. So I have doubts that they're really doing so poorly that they need to lean in to things like Heirloom exclusivity in the first place.

There's probably a good reason why all the Prime Resurgence stuff is in a slow rotation rather than all of it being available at any time. You don't know when items will be available next so I'm sure people tend to buy things without having a strong desire to use them. There are people who think the satisfaction gained from collecting and leveling everything is their primary reason for playing the game and the limited time availability of Prime Resurgence feeds into this desire to have everything and "complete" their account. Time plays into nearly everything this game has to offer and yes, I think the timed exclusivity of items drives most of these sales.

Are a considerable amount of people spending money to progress their account here and there or is it mainly whales who buy platinum to spend on rivens or rush their accounts as fast as possible?

I like to think of the in-game market as yard sale where you throw literally everything out onto the yard and hope to get some sales.

Edited by Ghastly-Ghoul

I told them to, sorry. 

On a more serious note I think this is a good opportunity for DE to clarify the FOMO language they used for these packs. I don't know about others but I purchased the supporter packs with the expectation that they would come back and would be cheaper in some way when they returned, like how Prime Accessories packs were after Prime Resurgence became a thing. I could not care less that supporter packs cost platinum now; cash-exclusive for a period, return later for freemium-ish currency is a reasonable setup I'd still pay into. 

If DE had a predictable and reliable schedule for revisiting their old content after release, that would be an appropriate time for these older supporter packs to return. Like, wouldn't it be great if 2-3 years after an open world or major faction launch, they revisit it and the supporter packs associated with those updates are returned to hype up the occasion? Wouldn't it be great if those were known patterns we could expect? Regular revisions for "old" content and a positive association to those revisions, I mean.

...well I just made myself sad so I'm going to go cry about Ember not being in Conclave now. 

Edited by traybong111

On 2024-03-01 at 11:20 AM, Voltage said:

Deimos, Zariman, and New War Supporter Pack skins are being resold for Platinum in "Tribute" Packs. These items were originally marketed as exclusive to those Supporter Packs. I bought these for a considerable total sum of money and this feels rather insulting if I'm being genuinely honest.

I'm honestly disappointed to see YOU making this topic after the disaster that was the marketing of the Heirloom Collection, and so many of your other pro-player/consumer posts. What this means is that despite all claims to the contrary, and many Founders themselves stating they wish their items were available for every player as well, you would be that one Founder that would say they would sue if their 'eternal fomo' items were brought back. Doesn't that kinda feel off after how player-forward you've been all this time?

On 2024-03-01 at 12:04 PM, NightmareT12 said:

I'm sorry but in this case the interpretation was that the items could return at any time, and at no point it was stated that it would be under equal conditions. Notice the difference with Prime Accessories, where it's clearly stated they could return to the program (in this case the resurgance being rotations of the same type), implying a real money transaction needed in some capacity. This is unlike the Founder and Heirloom packs, which clearly stated would never return and items would remain exclusive to these.

I actually had this exact thought at the time as well. The wording is such that I thought after the packs were removed from the store, they would be brought back at another time in another way (either though the market, a different supporter pack, or some kind of return like prime unvaulting...except with packs). Consider how dumb I felt when they disappeared and no way of getting them in the future afterwards was laid out. But that was a long time ago.

The wording as it exists definitely doesn't preclude these packs coming back, as far as I'm concerned, since that was my literal interpretation at the time. Am I glad I can get those items I missed back then? Absolutely. Would I be upset if DE brought back the Heirloom Collection in a similar matter? No, absolutely not, because everyone deserves the chance to get those items and I spoke out about the marketing even back when it was happening. I had the money put aside and I allowed myself to fall into that fomo trap, even if I waited until the last day to do it, hoping they would change something.

I just recently had an extended family member start playing the game and it's been so much fun helping them learn the game I've played for years. I'm in no way looking forward to explaining about the 'exclusive' content that can never be brought back because of 'reasons.' I love that I have another GOOD thing to say about the monetization of this game after the Heirloom debacle.

I'm sad to see a post like this even come up. This is an amazing thing I wish we saw more often in live service games.

• Like 6