Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A purpose for Duplicate Dex weapons? (Besides weapon slots)

Zahnny

So, I know somebody is going to say this so I'll address it first.

Yes, I know that obtaining Dupes of the Dex weapons provides you with free weapon slots. I'm looking for something besides that.

Anyway, despite knowing that I can sell the duplicates of Dex weapons obtained to get free weapon slots. I've held onto my Dex weapons thinking "Maybe one day these will serve a purpose if I hold onto them, like via trade or some other system like extracting the Orokin Catalyst out of them"

wdT3ilW.png

Obviously any answer I give isn't perfect but I thought of something that I feel would give players a stronger incentive besides selling them.

Something I've tried mentioning in the past would be a system to Subsume weapons. This would purely be cosmetic, maybe an exception for the few instances of weapons with a Gimmick tied to them? A gimmick that wouldn't be too powerful, such as Rauta increasing Combo Count.

But in general, I'd like the ability to Subsume Weapons to obtain them as a Universal skin (within reason of course).

For example, players ask for the ability to use Non-Prime skins on Prime weapons. But I feel like the Dex Weapons would be a good starting off point for testing this kind of system. I don't personally use the Dex Weapons often but I enjoy the look of their skin.

Edited by Zahnny
  • Like 1

I just think the purpose is free slots for us, however there's always going to be new players or people that miss the anniversary rewards, they always have a chance to get them every year

• Like 6

• Zahnny changed the title to A purpose for Duplicate Dex weapons? (Besides weapon slots)

I don't think there ever will be or should be a point to duplicates, as rewarding such a thing would be the most extreme version of FOMO for the game to have for celebrating their anniversary.

The only slight maybe would be some kind of transmog system using Helminth, but that's just a dream for me lol.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Voltage said:

I don't think there ever will be or should be a point to duplicates, as rewarding such a thing would be the most extreme version of FOMO for the game to have for celebrating their anniversary.

The only slight maybe would be some kind of transmog system using Helminth, but that's just a dream for me lol.

I thought the point of FOMO is that the items would never return again.

Dex items return annually so I don't think it's as much of a big deal. Only exception being to items that are truly unobtainable, for example a Founder wouldn't need to subsume their lato or skana.

Just now, Zahnny said:

I thought the point of FOMO is that the items would never return again.

FOMO is a spectrum. It can range from "I missed a Twitch Drop" to "I didn't buy the Founders Package". In gaming specifically, it's the negative emotions derived from mechanics that reinforce to the player "you should have gotten in on this bonus, because now you can't". In the context of your post, it's not a player would never have the chance to receive the bonus once, it's the fact they'll never have the same bonus you have the opportunity to have, because they just didn't collect as many as you. It's an unnecessary feeling for anniversary items to come with.

Think of it like Login Rewards. They are permanently accessible, but not logging in puts you further and further behind to reaching a milestone. DE did add a cap of 3000 days for scaling rewards, but rewarding duplicate anniversary weapons would be akin to uncapped Login Rewards. For every +1 Dex weapon a player has, a player 1 year older now has +2. For some of us, that would go up to +3, 4, or even 5. I wouldn't want items only earned once a year to require more than a single duplicate for something if at all.  The free weapon slot is enough of a bonus if I'm being honest here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voltage said:

For every +1 Dex weapon a player has, a player 1 year older now has +2. For some of us, that would go up to +3, 4, or even 5. I wouldn't want items only earned once a year to require more than a single duplicate for something if at all.  The free weapon slot is enough of a bonus if I'm being honest here.

huh? I don't follow here. This is already the case. I'm not asking to upgrade the weapon every year. Just that I could turn the spare into a skin for other weapons. Heck, a new player might get a Dex weapon, rank it up then decide to subsume it as a skin and wait next year to get the weapon again.

From what I'm trying to understand, you think I'm wanting a +1, +2, +3 system like in old RPG games? Because that's not at all what I'm trying to suggest.

6 hours ago, Zahnny said:

Yes, I know that obtaining Dupes of the Dex weapons provides you with free weapon slots. I'm looking for something besides that.

5000 credits each! 

6 hours ago, Zahnny said:

But I feel like the Dex Weapons would be a good starting off point for testing this kind of system.

Right.  Which  reminds me...I collect Desert Skate Floofs, and I earnestly feel they'd make a good starting point for a "DE deposits $5 in the bank account of players for every Skate Floof in their possession before March 2024" system. :P

Edited by Tiltskillet
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

Right.  Which  reminds me...I collect Desert Skate Floofs, and I earnestly feel they'd make a good starting point for a "DE deposits $5 in the bank account of players for every Skate Floof in their possession before March 2024" system. :P

...What?

Look, fine I get it. My idea was bad and everyone hates it. Just say that instead.

6 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

...What?

Look, fine I get it. My idea was bad and everyone hates it. Just say that instead.

Sorry! :/

Often my humor is pretty obtuse.  Anyway, the intended spirit was Mockery Level: Very Gentle; not Oh God, Hydrochloric Acid.

10 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

Sorry! :/

Often my humor is pretty obtuse.  Anyway, the intended spirit was Mockery Level: Very Gentle; not Oh God, Hydrochloric Acid.

Just wanted to say sorry for last night. Wasn't in the best headspace. When I read it I thought you were making a serious argument equating what I was saying to DE just giving money to people.

Didn't realise it was meant to have been satire.

• Like 1

On 2024-03-31 at 8:28 AM, C11H22O1 said:

I just think the purpose is free slots for us, however there's always going to be new players or people that miss the anniversary rewards, they always have a chance to get them every year

I use to think wow again how many times they gonna do the same thing. But then I remember well yeah new players and stuff so I guess it is what it is