The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we talk about Kubrows?

Posted (edited)

Let's be real, Kubrows look cool. Between the normal Kubrows that can be bred to look like a small bear, the prime skins, the deluxe skin form the Nidus bundle, and the Fabled Gene-Masking skin from the Nightwave, they have some of the best companion cosmetics in the game. We're even set to get another gene-masking kit for Kubrows in the new season of Nightwave coming out tomorrow.  Problem is, there's still almost no reason to use ever use a Kubrow over another companion.

Bond mods have made many new synergies possible and the general rework has made companions more usable. I never thought I'd have a reason to use Diriga, yet here we are. Except that none of the Kubrow abilities synergize with bond mods, with the exception of Kubrows with access to finishers being able to briefly become invisible. The one strong synergy Kubrows have is the ever janky Mecha mod-set (really cool when it works, but very unreliable in most cases). Even then, the Vizier Predasite is a better choice than a Kubrow in most cases since it can self-heal and has a strong AoE crowd control + viral primer from the Predasite exclusive Volatile Parasite mod on top of being able to use the Mecha mod set. Problem is, Predasites can't use Kubrow cosmetics.

If DE sees this, I'd really appreciate some news on part 2 of the companion rework. It's been nearly 6 months since the part 1 of the companion rework. We were told that there would be a gap to analyze what pets are being used before the precept mods were reworked, and I was OK with that. What's frustrating is the total radio-silence on part 2. The results are from phase one are in, Kubrows still stink. Call me crazy, but I want to be able to use my cool space-dog. Please give me a reason to.

Edited by Pneumanoultra
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)

Kubrows look the coolest. Sentinels take screen space, Hounds look rushed (even the textures on them are bad) and then there's the Deimos companions (who doesn't like a walking tumor).

I use my Kubrow with Hunter Synergy + Tenacious Bond but, I'm basically bringing him with me just for the looks. Every single other companion I have is better.

I can't imagine DE not having something planned for Kubrows, it's coming... Right? ☹️

Edited by Himerance
  • Like 1

Honestly they've needed a rework since they were first added. All of their abilities are either too niche, were always done better by other companions, just don't work due to their damage modding, or are simply too awful to bother using. All their ability mods either need to be replaced entirely or each breed needs brand new ability mods. Plus they really need to get the Hound treatment and be given a "weapon" for damage mods.

Which is why I suspect DE hasn't done anything about them still. They need such an overhaul to be worth considering but the companion slot already has a lot of competition without them. Thus there's no pressing "need" to invest that work into fixing them when players are already spoiled for choice in companions.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, trst said:

Honestly they've needed a rework since they were first added. All of their abilities are either too niche, were always done better by other companions, just don't work due to their damage modding, or are simply too awful to bother using. All their ability mods either need to be replaced entirely or each breed needs brand new ability mods. Plus they really need to get the Hound treatment and be given a "weapon" for damage mods.

Which is why I suspect DE hasn't done anything about them still. They need such an overhaul to be worth considering but the companion slot already has a lot of competition without them. Thus there's no pressing "need" to invest that work into fixing them when players are already spoiled for choice in companions.

Agreed 100% especially on the "weapon" part

Tho it's kinda annoying we're not getting ANY new about pet rework part 2, we should've gotten an update or a dev workshop by now 

• Like 2

I only have Raksa Kubrow and love him but I cannot turn a blind eye to the various mechanical issues and outdated kit.

With Paris Prime, I can give my Kubrow around 100%CC and over 200%SC. It's attacks are weak but the Slash procs can kill lvl SP enemies in a few seconds. The problem is that it struggles to hit even stationary enemies. Hitting any of the Murmur is basically impossible for him.

For having to sacrifice my Primary Weapon I expect the Kubrow to do comparable damage but it doesn't. Perhaps if they got some sort of anime energy claws which you could mod separately and it would give them some attack range they would be fine but as it is now they really struggle to be combat worthy.

• Like 1

I also think that in the case of melee companions there's two things that need to happen. Either an AI overhaul or a focus on abilities that glue them to the enemy or make them quickly jump from one enemy to the other (kinda like Ash's 4). Their auto attack means nothing with how unreliable their AI is. I don't care for my Kubrow to have the damage on paper when it takes him 3 seconds to position himself in front of a single enemy and then maybe attack it.

• Like 1

Also to note that while Bond mods are great, since you have to mod the Kubrow itself for both survivability and damage, you don't really have any room left for Bond mods. They would need to have a third mod row to he able to add those in.

• Like 2

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Pneumanoultra:

Let's be real, Kubrows look cool. Between the normal Kubrows that can be bred to look like a small bear, the prime skins, the deluxe skin form the Nidus bundle, and the Fabled Gene-Masking skin from the Nightwave, they have some of the best companion cosmetics in the game. We're even set to get another gene-masking kit for Kubrows in the new season of Nightwave coming out tomorrow.  Problem is, there's still almost no reason to use ever use a Kubrow over another companion.

Bond mods have made many new synergies possible and the general rework has made companions more usable. I never thought I'd have a reason to use Diriga, yet here we are. Except that none of the Kubrow abilities synergize with bond mods, with the exception of Kubrows with access to finishers being able to briefly become invisible. The one strong synergy Kubrows have is the ever janky Mecha mod-set (really cool when it works, but very unreliable in most cases). Even then, the Vizier Predasite is a better choice than a Kubrow in most cases since it can self-heal and has a strong AoE crowd control + viral primer from the Predasite exclusive Volatile Parasite mod on top of being able to use the Mecha mod set. Problem is, Predasites can't use Kubrow cosmetics.

If DE sees this, I'd really appreciate some news on part 2 of the companion rework. It's been nearly 6 months since the part 1 of the companion rework. We were told that there would be a gap to analyze what pets are being used before the precept mods were reworked, and I was OK with that. What's frustrating is the total radio-silence on part 2. The results are from phase one are in, Kubrows still stink. Call me crazy, but I want to be able to use my cool space-dog. Please give me a reason to.

Nothing works as long as no usable AI for pets is installed. but such AI code has been around in the game for a long time!

so... the devs intentionally ruined pets. the same with wukong clone...

My Kubrow fur is WELL AND TRULY SCREWED UP since DE's last lighting attempt, what used to be a black-speckled look is now just a light grey mess of :poop: I've had to overlay a skin just so I can't see the stupid mess the fur looks on companions now. 

byN0K.gif

Its rare I don't use my Kubrow. Ultimately I don't really care what the dog is doing in game other than being there and occasionally digging up stuff and being very large and blue

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Waeleto said:

Agreed 100% especially on the "weapon" part

Tho it's kinda annoying we're not getting ANY new about pet rework part 2, we should've gotten an update or a dev workshop by now 

That's potentially a good thing. Getting us in on the know too early may result in bad speculation and players leaning on that speculation as truth. Keeping us blind until a promising direction is made sounds a lot better to me. 

With that said, here's my completely blind speculation: Kubrows will have a command system based on the Khora setup. The featured Kubrow breed traits would become part of the command tree, ex Sneak(Stealth), Sniff(Dig+Pry), Protect(Armor buff+Damage Transfer+Stun ability), and Hunt(Attack precepts). This setup would minimize how often players would need to prioritize the command feature due to each command offering mission benefitting features that would not require constant changes (such as a stealth mission not having to worry about an attacking Kubrow, this killing stealth).

I have to agree, not getting any info at all is starting to get frustrating. I'm just really hoping DE breaks it down into simple changes, stuff like; 

- Kubrows get an extra row for Mods like Necramechs to help them with their restrictive modding.

- Kubrow Mods should get reduced capacity costs and ranks in general, to make them less of a Forma and Endo sink for newer players.

- Melee companions in general should get a range increase to their attacks, as well as some tune-ups in regards to hit registration and attack speed.

- Most Precepts just need tweaks, Huras needs less invis restrictions and Chesa needs a faster Despoil as an example.

- For the Precepts you have to overhaul, just emphasize each Kubrows usage. Helminth Charger should get stronger grouping with its Precept while Sunika should focus more on raw DPS with a Melee buff.

There's a lot you can do with Kubrows and it sucks their still being left on the back burner.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Himerance said:

Kubrows look the coolest. Sentinels take screen space, Hounds look rushed (even the textures on them are bad) and then there's the Deimos companions (who doesn't like a walking tumor).

I use my Kubrow with Hunter Synergy + Tenacious Bond but, I'm basically bringing him with me just for the looks. Every single other companion I have is better.

I can't imagine DE not having something planned for Kubrows, it's coming... Right? ☹️

The bond mods were after years of non action, so no, see you next decade if its a deal breaker.

On 2024-05-14 at 8:51 PM, Pneumanoultra said:

Part 1 of the companion rework was one of the best changes ive seen to the game in years. 

I love that the companion system is more than just "use smeeta no matter what. or panzer if youre not farming something."

But yeah, i think some things still need tweaks and part of it imo is companion weapons/damage. 

• Like 1

Honestly, they should drop the idea of companions as damage dealers and focus on their utility aspect.

Utility amplifies your fighting prowess, it encourages you stay active. While a companion in the role of a damage dealer achieves the opposite. They don't want that and for good reason. So why force it?

#*!% damage, give our companions more utility.

• Like 1