The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

heirloom skins are going to be permanent additions to the market

I was wondering are they going to be bringing the mag skin back? (or at least a slight veriation of it)

I did like that skin but I wasn't interested in that price point or the bundle it was part of.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

I was wondering are they going to be bringing the mag skin back? (or at least a slight veriation of it)

I did like that skin but I wasn't interested in that price point or the bundle it was part of.

DE Megan already cut this off my guy, frost and mag heirloom will not be coming back (megan implied simply that it wouldn’t feel right) sorry to tell you.

They could have solved it so much better than how they plan to do it with the Mag and Frost heirloom skins.

Instead of not including them in the future they could have made the simple (in my mind atleast) thing of bringing them back, and then if someone who bought them do not like that and feel wronged, DE could just offer a refund and call it a day. I doubt anyone would even make a refund.

• Like 2

It's such a shame that due to their Greed two very beautiful skins made by the artist that left the company as a last hurrah won't be owned by the vast majority of the community, of which the Heirloom pack is meant to celebrate. 

This is obviously a step in the right direction. 

But Frost and Mag Heirloom will be a testament to their greed and stupidity and I wish that for every time a new Heirloom comes, they are reminded of it. 

Painfully. 

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, (PSN)FrDiabloFr said:

frost and mag heirloom will not be coming back

24 minutes ago, Tesla_Reloaded said:

They won't. They said this during the devstream.

this is why I added they could bring it back but as a variant of the skin so its slightly different so the people who have it still get their bragging rights and everyone is happy?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

this is why I added they could bring it back but as a variant of the skin so its slightly different so the people who have it still get their bragging rights and everyone is happy?

I may be wrong here, but iirc the skins were designed by some ex employees who made them as like a final goodbye kind of thing, so I’d imagine there would be rights attached to this ie because they designed them they may not allow for any changes or something like that, i’m not fully sure how it would work but i can’t imagine it would be as simple as slight changes to the skins then resell I’d imagine there would definitely be ramifications with that.

Edited by (PSN)FrDiabloFr
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

I don't think they can cause the heirloom pack is basically a founders pack & people who bought the original would get angry cause they spent over $100 for FOMO that wasn't FOMO

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, (PSN)FrDiabloFr said:

DE Megan already cut this off my guy, frost and mag heirloom will not be coming back (megan implied simply that it wouldn’t feel right) sorry to tell you.

It’s completely fair. The regal aya and platinum inflated the price to an unacceptable degree. But rereleasing the packs without the aya and reduced plat, bringing it down to the $25 price point, makes it fair.

And the decision does is gives the finger to those with good self control and morals.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jivy said:

I don't think they can cause the heirloom pack is basically a founders pack & people who bought the original would get angry cause they spent over $100 for FOMO that wasn't FOMO

The original Founders pack was actual gameplay items.

Heirloom is cosmetics.

treating them like they are somehow of equal value is DE’s fault. Not the players.

Anyone who thinks the skins should be treated with the same reverence as Excal prime is dumb. Excal Prime purchases kept the game alive. The Heirloom bundle just let DE pocket our rent money.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ToastyGrimlock98 said:

It’s completely fair. The regal aya and platinum inflated the price to an unacceptable degree. But rereleasing the packs without the aya and reduced plat, bringing it down to the $25 price point, makes it fair.

And the decision does is gives the finger to those with good self control and morals.

I agree with you, I can’t speak for Megan all i can do is speculate and the only reason i think might be what’s stopping the skins being brought back is that i believe they were made by ex employees so I’d imagine there may be some kind of don’t re release clause once they are done that’s it maybe DE can’t go against certain conditions that were brought in with the skins if that makes sense?

24 minutes ago, (PSN)FrDiabloFr said:

a final goodbye kind of thing

Lmao Can you imagine you design something as a final goodbye to your company and as a celebration for the community and then DE did the stupid Heirloom S#&$? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Rexis12 said:

Lmao Can you imagine you design something as a final goodbye to your company and as a celebration for the community and then DE did the stupid Heirloom S#&$? 

Hey man this is the modern gaming environment now, i may sound old but something like this 10 years ago would have been memed into oblivion and totally pooped on at every angle lol. 

Just take me back to the 360 days when life was a breeze haha.

• Like 1

Just now, (PSN)FrDiabloFr said:

I agree with you, I can’t speak for Megan all i can do is speculate and the only reason i think might be what’s stopping the skins being brought back is that i believe they were made by ex employees so I’d imagine there may be some kind of don’t re release once they are done that’s it maybe DE can’t go against certain conditions that were brought in with the skins if that makes sense?

DE has a bad history of “We bad a mistake that we shouldn’t have. But we’re not going to undo it because it’s not ‘fair’ to those who already dealt with it”. Hema research cost is a big example of that.

It’s not a contract thing. Excal Prime isn’t held back from rerelease by contract. Just a promise. Unless the heirlooms were Tencents idea there shouldn’t be an issue.

• Like 4

Just now, ToastyGrimlock98 said:

DE has a bad history of “We bad a mistake that we shouldn’t have. But we’re not going to undo it because it’s not ‘fair’ to those who already dealt with it”. Hema research cost is a big example of that.

It’s not a contract thing. Excal Prime isn’t held back from rerelease by contract. Just a promise. Unless the heirlooms were Tencents idea there shouldn’t be an issue.

Yes but excal and heirlooms are totally different i get what you’re saying, but the counter argument is these skins were designed by people who definitely could have attached terms to how their art/creations get treated.

1 minute ago, ToastyGrimlock98 said:

Just remember i totally agree with you, i don’t want you thinking i want to fight on this it’s just me simply speculating at possible reasons.

As someone who did get the heirloom skins for Frost and Mag, I honestly couldn't care less if they came back, even if it was for the price they've set for Ember.  Would mean more people get to enjoy really cool-looking skins.

The legal argument is an understandable one though.  Claims of "prestige", on the other hand, deserve ridicule unless some player claims to have bought them before they added the platinum to the bundles, in which case they deserve ridicule, a dunce cap and maybe be set as an example that IQ tests should be required in order to have credit cards.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jivy said:

Please don't perpetuate this, they were not a Founders pack. DE isn't a struggling company trying to finance their self-published game anymore. DE wanted to sell some $90 Deluxe skins and that's it.

As for the people who might actually get angry at Frost and Mag being available again, well what about all the people already angry cause they couldn't afford them at the time or weren't even part of our community yet?

44 minutes ago, (PSN)FrDiabloFr said:

I may be wrong here, but iirc the skins were designed by some ex employees who made them as like a final goodbye kind of thing, so I’d imagine there would be rights attached to this ie because they designed them they may not allow for any changes or something like that, i’m not fully sure how it would work but i can’t imagine it would be as simple as slight changes to the skins then resell I’d imagine there would definitely be ramifications with that.

They were designed by Mynki, who was one of Warframe's old art directors. I don't remember it being presented as a "final goodbye", IIRC they just hired him to make the skin because he's the one that designed Frost Prime and Mag Prime all those years ago. And when you're hired to make something for someone, generally you don't retain any rights over that thing. Though while I'm sure they could do this, it'd be a lot simpler to just bring them back and privately settle it with whoever actually complains.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

Please don't perpetuate this, they were not a Founders pack. DE isn't a struggling company trying to finance their self-published game anymore. DE wanted to sell some $90 Deluxe skins and that's it.

As for the people who might actually get angry at Frost and Mag being available again, well what about all the people already angry cause they couldn't afford them at the time or weren't even part of our community yet?

They were designed by Mynki, who was one of Warframe's old art directors. I don't remember it being presented as a "final goodbye", IIRC they just hired him to make the skin because he's the one that designed Frost Prime and Mag Prime all those years ago. And when you're hired to make something for someone, generally you don't retain any rights over that thing. Though while I'm sure they could do this, it'd be a lot simpler to just bring them back and privately settle it with whoever actually complains.

Hence my og comment saying iirc, again my point is simple speculation i have said anything definitive, i’m simply trying to think of a possible situation as to why mag/frost skins can’t be re released, sure he may have designed them but we don’t know exactly what the stipulations where, it’s happened in the gaming environment before were people can get some kind of commission etc on their creations.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

And when you're hired to make something for someone, generally you don't retain any rights over that thing

this! I worked and had to sign a NDA, anything I made at the company were the companies property! even some educational institutes will claim ownership if you happen to make something of value on their premises.

Edited by _Anise_

9 minutes ago, (PSN)FrDiabloFr said:

Hence my og comment saying iirc, again my point is simple speculation i have said anything definitive, i’m simply trying to think of a possible situation as to why mag/frost skins can’t be re released, sure he may have designed them but we don’t know exactly what the stipulations where, it’s happened in the gaming environment before were people can get some kind of commission etc on their creations.

I'm speculating as well :P Counter-speculating? Generally those stipulations are like @_Anise_ describes. If someone hires you to make a thing for them, it's their thing and they can do whatever they want with it. Regarding commissions, if DE didn't just pay Mynki a lump sum (which would be typical) and instead had some sort of temporary revenue sharing agreement for some reason, there's no reason they couldn't just keep paying him his cut. So far, the only reason DE has given for why they can't come back is that they don't think it'd be fair.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, (PSN)FrDiabloFr said:

Yes but excal and heirlooms are totally different i get what you’re saying, but the counter argument is these skins were designed by people who definitely could have attached terms to how their art/creations get treated.

Just remember i totally agree with you, i don’t want you thinking i want to fight on this it’s just me simply speculating at possible reasons.

The skins were created by DE’s own artists iirc. And when you’re an artist that they commission work from or just buy the design they have full control over what to do with the design. (And if you take a % of the profits then refusing to allow a rerelease just means less money for you).

We also know DE has full control over it because their original Deluxe Skin artist before Liger threw a hissy fit after DE made alterations to his Ember Deluxe concept after he submitted it to them.

Thought:

I feel like DE is trying to sell rare content, but I also feel like this marketing strategy is outdated and too late for the Warframe game.

While CounterStrike continues to create one-time access content that never returns to the store, newer games like Volarant are approaching the sale of "seasonal" items and these have "special rarity" mechanics to keep them coming back to the store. This last strategy ensures fluctuation in market value and interest and accessibility to future fans of old characters and equipment.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

I'm speculating as well :P Counter-speculating? Generally those stipulations are like @_Anise_ describes. If someone hires you to make a thing for them, it's their thing and they can do whatever they want with it. Regarding commissions, if DE didn't just pay Mynki a lump sum (which would be typical) and instead had some sort of temporary revenue sharing agreement for some reason, there's no reason they couldn't just keep paying him his cut. So far, the only reason DE has given for why they can't come back is that they don't think it'd be fair.

Oh ye this is a definite possibility, i think we can both agree there may be some kind of hidden thing going on regarding the release of the skins we don’t know about.