The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dear DE: The Extreme Boredom Kicks In #4

Been a hot minute since I've seen a 'content drought' post.

Look, I get it. Warframe isn't exactly great in the late spring to summer months, when the best we can look forwards to are some of the small updates. Especially with the tempting updates from Tennocon just sort of sitting there, out of reach in the future. It'll pick back up in autumn and 1999 hits in December, and then all the leftovers of those updates - the Echoes and so forth - come out to play after the christmas break. 

But the demands for constant content to meet ever growing hype caused some reallly dark days for the game. Not quite up to the level of 'Warframe might actually close', but those eerie first signs of it you see when you watch 'what happened to X long running beloved games' videos. In particular, I'm pretty sure it was partly to blame for Railjack's botched release. Warframe update stability can be predicted on a few factors, including how new all the tech is, how much multiplayer there is, does it involve non-Warframe gameplay styles and/or any switching between them, and Railjack hit every marker. On top of that, it was revealed way too early (literally they had only just gotten the tech demo to work on Tennocon day, they did not know how they were gonna make this gameplay loop at all) and been so heavily hyped that every delay implicit or explicit, was causing more and more community discontent. Specifically voiced as 'content drought'.

Plenty of other things got roped into this but Railjack was one of the big ones. In general, the whole thing can be summed up with this picture:

ynvblOoai-lRuQX8Pd6egZZI31S2R0CiOitfSrsAWlNu364Gufhv6Jm4qy9uK_kqqTneKP-c1AD8Erf3KNHTwoadntrwzKelcz7-LUa1d8Bzyvp0CQADjMThOpe64WIkL7AG7hXZ

The WHITEBOARD. The legendary whiteboard. The infamous whiteboard.

They brought this out late 2018 explicitly to quell content drought rumours. And I mean, it worked for a while. Indeed this is from February of 2019, where they had all these things to release soon!

And well, uh...

They got one other item on the list done.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CrownOfShadows said:

We REALLY need something to do in the off-season.

My alliance just had a competition to see who can survive the most waves in a defense. And I did it. Twice.

If that doesn't tell you how starved I am for something to do idk what to tell you.

I feel like you'd win that after 3 waves because nobody wants to do Defense.

• Like 3

The solution to burnout (which is what you seem to be experiencing) genuinely is to seek out new experiences elsewhere. If nothing in Warframe is grabbing you on a given day, try out a different game and see how it goes. This one will be patiently waiting for you when you are ready to return to it.

In my case, most days I play Warframe with the goals of eventually opening my entire relic collection and helping my friend progress when she's on, but if I'm not feeling like sticking with it after hitting my personal milestones, I switch games.

I'm currently chipping away at playthroughs of Gears of War 3, [PROTOTYPE], El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, Earth Defence Force 6, Freedom Planet 2 and Warhammer 40K: Boltgun, among others. You might scatter your attention like I have, or you might focus in on one game until you complete it (this is actually what I did for the first 2 GoW games), the point is to not let Warframe be the only game you're playing.

Edited by Corvid
  • Like 3

I can't think of a single game that offers the depth and amount of content you're asking for.  Can you?  I'm assuming you can't, because I figure you'd be playing it instead of Warframe if that were the case.

And that's the entire reason why suggestions to "take a break" shouldn't be confused with "get lost": the problem you're positing is not one that game developers have ever been able to solve.  And that means that the solution can't come from them; it has to come from you.

People adapt, they get accustomed to things, and they want new kinds of stimulation.  The only people who can be satisfied year round with a single game are people who are always hungry for the same thing.  It sounds like that's not you.

Thankfully, there are plenty of devs making plenty of games.  Have you tried Tunic?  I really recommend Tunic.

• Like 4

My fellow Tenno, you can call me crazy, but I delete everything when I get bored of the game and need a reason to grind again. Last time I deleted even every mod that I could (I spared only those that couldn't be farmed again by any other means).

Does this sound like a complete lunacy? Yes, it does. Do I enjoy grinding everything again? Yes, I do. When I don't feel like deleting everything on my main account, I just create a new one and begin my journey all over again.

I really love Warframe and I play it every day, so sometimes I find it hard to not play it. Call this addiction, but I really feel the disappointment in OP's words. I would love to play more new game modes, some modes need to be maybe modernized a little. Hell, some frames desperately need either a complete rework or ability tweaks (yes, I'm a Limbo enjoyer). These things could've been done at any given time, but I also understand that, unfortunately, DE cannot just somehow split every single team member in two and make new content while tweaking old one and fixing bugs.

Edited by -marbletalons-
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, -marbletalons- said:

My fellow Tenno, you can call me crazy, but I delete everything when I get bored of the game and need a reason to grind again. Last time I deleted even every mod that I could (I spared only those that couldn't be farmed again by any other means).

Pure madness.

But if it creates more fun for you, then I salute your madness. Sometimes people do weird things that are unintended in games and as long as it isn't causing problems for other people then more power to them.

• Like 1

Go and try first descendant. Give it a honest approach. Im 100% sure u come back here and value the normal things, u didnt even see anymore before, way more. We take a lot of stuff as granted only realizing how awesome they are when they may be not avaiable any more. 

On 2024-08-06 at 9:49 PM, CrownOfShadows said:

We REALLY need something to do in the off-season.

My alliance just had a competition to see who can survive the most waves in a defense. And I did it. Twice.

If that doesn't tell you how starved I am for something to do idk what to tell you.

Go play another game?

It seems you've become obsessed with Warframe... I've already passed that phase and moved away. I recommend you do the same.

• Like 1

On 2024-08-06 at 6:32 PM, CrownOfShadows said:

🙄 who could've predicted this lame comment? Stop 🦜

It's not lame, it's common freakin sense. You're really asking for too much. Play another game to fix your boredom. Infinite entertainment awaits you.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

Pure madness.

But if it creates more fun for you, then I salute your madness. Sometimes people do weird things that are unintended in games and as long as it isn't causing problems for other people then more power to them.

Hehe, I play solo most of the time and I literally grind like crazy, so this doesn't cause any problem at all. My friend only salutes my madness. The only inconvenience is that you can never have enough potatoes. Especially when I'm adding to the challenge and never buying anything that can make my life easier.

Oh, and while you're "restoring your safe file", you can also make some good platinum, so this is more about your mental endurance and willingness to erase your progress, and in doing so give yourself more reasons to not mindlessly grind stuff. This may be my addiction speaking, but I really get excited when I complete a set in several missions rather than in several days. So this is also a lucky challenge. But then I also run new warframe day one challenge and new prime warframe hour one challenge. So there's always some creativity.

Edited by -marbletalons-