The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Please Make better stories, with better writing/dialogue and closure.

This is meant for every quest after The Sacrifice Since this is where the game's story kind of fell off.

Warframe was never a game about it's story, unfortunately, because they take so much time to make it's practically a nice cutscene to look it, but when that cutscene is terrible, you wonder why even bother.

I Respect That the Devs want to write their own stories, but Everything from the New War, to Whispers in the walls to Jade shadows, was honestly very disappointing.

from the unnecessary cryptic dialogue, to the convoluted meandering plotholes.

the extremely dissatisfying closure, what is really going on with the writing team?

The New War > Skipped the War, and left us with a hanger.

The Duviri Paradox > Skipped the Paradox and let us just play a miniature version of the game mode.   

The Whispers in the walls > Skipped the big last fight for an incomprehensible ending.

What about 1999 are we skipping this year as well? like seriously I've been really disappointed with quests lately.

Please put some effort in the quests. 

• Like 16

Please research psychology. watch videos about Carl Jung, especially. The story is so good and so well written if you have even the slightest understanding of psychology and philosophy. Warframe has always been about a deep story about emotion and its impact on people.

Up to The Sacrifice > Those who endured great pain can become the best at recognizing and healing it.

The New War > Textbook Narcissist gaslit everyone into ignoring him as a failure until it was too late, but not without leaving clues that keen Tenno could catch during Path to War. Proceeds to unravel at the slightest loss of control, causing him to self-sabotage.

The Duviri Paradox > Still a bit of an enigma. Don't know enough about paradoxes to understand why Drifter is one. Still plenty of lore, though.

Whispers in the Walls > Paranoid scientist is coldly indifferent about studying what he decided is his foe. It became an indifferent force intent on using cunning and manipulation alongside monstrous brute force to fight him. Without the scientist who went off on a self-important quest to kill his Adversary, it now latches onto a heartbroken, angry, and confused lover, and proceeds to draw strength from his hatred. Operator realizes that it is trying to keep him from learning why the Scientist abandoned him, and realizes that violence won't stop a force like this. Proceeds to be a force of calm.

There is effort put into the quests, it is just that it isn't as simple as older stories like "Evil megacorperation causes several disasters from their greed." or "Evil patriarch tries to body snatch a god-child by exploiting sleeper mind control in their teacher." or "Spirit of a kid who society cast out has been holding the Devil at bay and now you are screwed unless to take his burden."

• Like 7

6 hours ago, matt11mz said:

Please research psychology. watch videos about Carl Jung, especially. The story is so good and so well written if you have even the slightest understanding of psychology and philosophy. Warframe has always been about a deep story about emotion and its impact on people.

Up to The Sacrifice > Those who endured great pain can become the best at recognizing and healing it.

The New War > Textbook Narcissist gaslit everyone into ignoring him as a failure until it was too late, but not without leaving clues that keen Tenno could catch during Path to War. Proceeds to unravel at the slightest loss of control, causing him to self-sabotage.

The Duviri Paradox > Still a bit of an enigma. Don't know enough about paradoxes to understand why Drifter is one. Still plenty of lore, though.

Whispers in the Walls > Paranoid scientist is coldly indifferent about studying what he decided is his foe. It became an indifferent force intent on using cunning and manipulation alongside monstrous brute force to fight him. Without the scientist who went off on a self-important quest to kill his Adversary, it now latches onto a heartbroken, angry, and confused lover, and proceeds to draw strength from his hatred. Operator realizes that it is trying to keep him from learning why the Scientist abandoned him, and realizes that violence won't stop a force like this. Proceeds to be a force of calm.

There is effort put into the quests, it is just that it isn't as simple as older stories like "Evil megacorperation causes several disasters from their greed." or "Evil patriarch tries to body snatch a god-child by exploiting sleeper mind control in their teacher." or "Spirit of a kid who society cast out has been holding the Devil at bay and now you are screwed unless to take his burden."

That's all great, and I understand the complexity and aware of it, but thanks for trying to educate me on the matter eitherway.

but that being said was the delivery good though? I feel like these quests had so much of vivid plotholes that are filled up by wiki and other sources, when we could've just got the whole thing in the quest.

I loved the New War, Whispers and Jade Shadows a lot, and that love is the exact reason why I think they should do more. 

• Like 8

Just a little rant.

No offence to those who keep tabs about the story. I understand It is integral to the game. But what is DE even doing making one and forgetting that we need actual gameplay content? 

For all the meandering plots, I am tired and want it to just be over. I'd rather have the old WF when I got in and have to kill Eidolons which was addictive and challenging and spun around  it was some kind of background story.

Several iterations later, we now have stories and some half-baked gameplay abberation spun around it.

Yes, DE can do whatever they want and say it is WF. But what about what the players want after gearing up frames, guns etc.?

The New War story had phenomenal names central to our world. But it left real WF gameplay wanting.

I didn't like anything Kahl after TNW. Painfully played along the whole drifter solo story and awkward melee Duviri content sprinkled with some WF in the Circuit

Jade was, well Jade. But at least we got an elevator mode now.

Now I am dreading this will happen too with 1999. Not the romance part, but how to get used to our human counterparts this time which i doubt bleed into the main game and just be a museum piece to look at like RJ later on.

Give me some WF gameplay, even if the story is mediocre and not the other way around.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Prof-Dante said:

This is meant for every quest after The Sacrifice Since this is where the game's story kind of fell off.

Warframe was never a game about it's story, unfortunately, because they take so much time to make it's practically a nice cutscene to look it, but when that cutscene is terrible, you wonder why even bother.

I Respect That the Devs want to write their own stories, but Everything from the New War, to Whispers in the walls to Jade shadows, was honestly very disappointing.

from the unnecessary cryptic dialogue, to the convoluted meandering plotholes.

the extremely dissatisfying closure, what is really going on with the writing team?

The New War > Skipped the War, and left us with a hanger.

The Duviri Paradox > Skipped the Paradox and let us just play a miniature version of the game mode.   

The Whispers in the walls > Skipped the big last fight for an incomprehensible ending.

What about 1999 are we skipping this year as well? like seriously I've been really disappointed with quests lately.

It's natural for the quality of Warframe's stories to decline. It's already a very old game and at the end of its career. If DE makes less money, it's logical that they'll invest less in the game. That's how things work. If you're new to Warframe, then you should be aware of this. Warframe is "saying goodbye" to start another project later on.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Prof-Dante said:

The Whispers in the walls > Skipped the big last fight for an incomprehensible ending

The fact that you think that a more thematic ending would be for us to have a big kaiju fight, instead of the story actually continuing that us the Tenno are Void Demons who are scarred by the Zarinan yet use it to soothe the pain of others, tells me that you weren't really paying attention to the overall story of Warframe. 

• Like 6

This is my opinion but adding everything that’s in the wiki of warframe about lore into the quest wouldn’t make sense but to have as collectibles and have mini quest with said collectibles to understand what is going on would fit so well with the gameplay loop and add deeper meaning to the bigger quest would be really cool all while still taking you down a rollercoaster of emotions and adventure and all while keeping warframe’s core intact.

1 hour ago, Rexis12 said:

instead of the story actually continuing that us the Tenno are Void Demons who are scarred by the Zarinan yet use it to soothe the pain of others

It's really hard to follow the story when the wiki itself had a hard time explaining it.

So let me get this straight, Our operator managed to Pacify the giant Statue Warframe wally took control of....Pacifying an indifferent angry eldritch being, does that sound like it makes sense to you?

am I asking for a "Kaiju fight" because I don't understand the reason behind this ending or because it actually makes sense? 

I'll level with you, if you have any coherent explanation for this part and managed to convince me, I'll gladly drop this conversation. 

• Like 2

This is a prime access update, but has a mission is an introductory link to Warframe 1999. This short introductory link confused players who were expecting an update full of action and interactions, basically the update title looks wrong for me.

It is important to understand that being an active player who consumes the latest release is being able to consume fragments of pieces of a large puzzle. The beginner player has been consuming the game since the beginning, this player will understand the story in a more consistent and continuous way.

Look at Zariman, it is a tileset mentioned since the beginning of the game, but this tileset did not exist a few years ago, so now the game is citing fragments of something that does not yet exist. Trying to appreciate this is rough and painful compared to the existing pool of content for the beginner player.

Warframe is about a continuous and never-ending story, the developers do not plan to make a definitive ending to all the subjects because this leaves gaps in historical continuation and that is where my criticism comes in. The developers should treat these "Missions" clearly as "Prologues" that are suitable for historical continuations, they should abandon the idea of "easter eggs" at the end of a mission, the Prologue needs to be clear from the beginning and at the end leave that feeling of the end of a film in a series where the last scene clearly shows that "this is not over yet".

Edited by Famecans
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Prof-Dante said:

It's really hard to follow the story when the wiki itself had a hard time explaining it.

So let me get this straight, Our operator managed to Pacify the giant Statue Warframe wally took control of....Pacifying an indifferent angry eldritch being, does that sound like it makes sense to you?

The wiki has a pretty clear explanation, and includes a transcript. The operator confronts a void-controlled vessel, and pacifies it. To quote the wiki directly:

"While fighting off the Murmur, the Indifference attempts to use Loid's negative emotions and desire for Albrecht's affections against him, nearly overtaking the Sanctum until the Tenno displays an emotion of love that Loid had long since craved which repels the Indifference."

The one consistent thing that the Tenno seem to provide as a solution to their problems is compassion, love, and understanding; "And it was not their force of will, not their Void devilry, not their alien darkness... it was something else. It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly broken thing...and take away its pain." - The Indifference seems to thrive from negative emotions, often trying to get a rise out of people and provoke them, while being repelled by more positive ones of compassion or acceptance. While the story does not flat out tell you the reasoning for this or The Indifference's motives, that's something being actively built upon - it's possible that it (and the void) latches on to the emotions of nearby entities and manifests them into reality, or that there are other reasons or explanations behind it, but it's supposed to be "an enigma" for now, with things like Drusus' remarks and Leverian entries giving slightly more hints towards these things.

A Kaiju-style fight would've been cool too, but it's not the story that DE wants to tell it seems; it's still understandable nonetheless, even if you think "love repels the Indifference" is lame or cliche or something similar.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Prof-Dante said:

Quest was good. It included paradox.

Why do you need big clumsy fight? Meh

Ending is ok. It shows that touching each other can prevent fights.

Skip 1999 and go straight to 2000. Based on old stuff, all bad thing will happen at that time. Then 2000 came and it was ok. Just kidding.

14 hours ago, Alpha_Tango said:

No offence to those who keep tabs about the story. I understand It is integral to the game. But what is DE even doing making one and forgetting that we need actual gameplay content? 

+1 Or other way around: ok gameplay, bad story (e.g. zariman)

Except new war, I had no problems with those quests. However you didn't mention other quests:

- Jade

- Lotus eaters

Of course, I don't mention updates like Voruna because those are just meant to be "we don't have time but here is weapon, frame and some stuff". It's the thing to make you preocupied till next update.

So Jade? Do you know that we have some notes near Teshin? Yeah, I found it via accident reading some posts. Quest is funny (bullet jump with baby etc) without giving us too much info about Stalker. Teshin notes are better, added AFTER update.

Lotus eater? That could be movie. Go there, click X with little bit of talk of Lotus. And 2-way dialogue... that doesn't matter!

There are updates like Angel of zariman that has some story/lore but they are jammed together just to learn few new nodes. I was seriously confused or bored after quest. Like why Cavalero (afair) put Lorem ipusm in one mission? Seriously that's what I read/hear. It was like:

Put the 23947jfsdlkf into 234ikjsd9f8 and then grab lkjlj23i4o to container.

And as @Alpha_Tango said, story/lore is nice but gameplay is important as well. I wonder how many people that played Deimos know about ARcana versions Isolation vault? I've been farming residual/virema and oh, boy, some days were horrible. Go to Mother (necralisk) to spawn Isolation vault. Do that bounty & do optional things because it's pretty much only chance to get arcanes & other valuable stuffs. What happens next? Let's describe bad days. People extract causing host migration. Fine! I can do this alone if I have to (maybe little slower but oh well). Nope. Achievement unlocked: Cannot start mission - mission in progress. I need to extract and start AGAIN (no arcana version). One day I got so... angry that I've started it alone. I've done Iso vault and I had to extract because update (cannot start new mission). Now, not to mention loots that changes every 2.5 hours. You need some specific arcane? NO! Wait 5 hours because you just happened to enter at start of 2nd change. You have 3 Residual arcanes & 4 theorem. Why not make 4 residual and make 4 bounty levels? NO! Players has to wait. I get so angry that I've ended buying rest arcanes.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Nekomian said:

A Kaiju-style fight would've been cool too,

I still don't think you understand, I don't want a Kaiju fight because it's cool, and I don't hate the other ending because it's too lame.

I don't know why you couldn't see it but I'll explain it again.

I hate it because it doesn't make sense, it made sense with Umbra because he was a human once, he's capable of grief, regret, PTSD, anger, hate...and all of these human emotions are capable of being tamed, so The operator pacifying Excalibur Umbra made perfect sense.

how do you pacify an indifferent eldritch entity? is he capable of emotions? why does he feel bad about it? why did he stop? at what point was it ever implied that The LITERAL INDIFFERENCE is capable of compassion? 

Edit: Let me read the quest again.

Edited by Prof-Dante

5 hours ago, Nekomian said:

"While fighting off the Murmur, the Indifference attempts to use Loid's negative emotions and desire for Albrecht's affections against him, nearly overtaking the Sanctum until the Tenno displays an emotion of love that Loid had long since craved which repels the Indifference."

so they are trying to say that by manifesting Loid's negative emotions, it made it easy for the Operator to easily manipulate them by pacifying it with Loid's own positive emotions.

The story is honestly fine but the plotholes and the pacing is insane. Not to mention 1999 is apparently gonna be a 5 year long story and we are just gonna abandon the origin system under Narmer control and Pazuul still out there.

Edited by ChaoticOrderly
more details