The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The issue about chargebacks with platinum.

-AndySenpai-

So many friends have been afected by this, a buyer tries to buy something out of them, usually something expensive like a riven that is worth thousands of plat, and then someday they get the plat removed from their account and a warning from DE saying that if this happens again their account might be banned. 

In this cases where people are not doing RMT, the issue is that the buyer can buy platinum, make a chargeback with the credit card bank, get their money back and keep the riven, so the seller is completly naked against this scheme, they lose the plat, and if they go negative balance, they are asked to pay real money to DE to keep their account unbanned or else ban. 

This has happened for MANY years and Digital Extremes still doesn't give us a solution to this huge issue, how can someone buy something, chargeback, and the seller gets either the platinum removed, banned or gets both? This is totally unfair and unprofesional measures.

• Like 5

If you're affected. Contact support.

A possibility is that DE can reverse the trade that caused the negative plat hence why the main suggestion is for people to wait if it is part of a suspected trade.

The amount of people that are truly affected by negative plat is small in the grand scheme of things, if this was more widespread and left to run rampant we are talking about tens of thousands of plat disruption to the economy so that proves that whatever system is being used here is working.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, -AndySenpai- said:

In this cases where people are not doing RMT, the issue is that the buyer can buy platinum, make a chargeback with the credit card bank, get their money back and keep the riven, so the seller is completly naked against this scheme, they lose the plat, and if they go negative balance, they are asked to pay real money to DE to keep their account unbanned or else ban. 

That's not entirely what is occurring.
The account that commits the chargeback gets banned just like it would be in numerous other games.

The real question (which I do not have an answer to) regards whether DE follows up on subsequent trades made by that account because I guarantee that the profile committing the chargeback is dumping that riven to an account the bad actor intends to keep.
I'd imagine DE does this but I don't know that for certain. 

No question though that the player who sold the item with the fraudulent plat is getting hosed in the process. Sadly, I don't see a way for DE to avoid that unfortunately.
That is no different from most online retailers sadly and is why delivery people are obliged to take pictures or get a signature once the delivery is completed.
Even those things aren't foolproof as anyone who has had to truly spar with Amazon, UPS, or Fedex can readily attest.

In short, wire fraud sucks. It hurts everybody. It isn't hard to spot but proves crazy hard to prosecute (especially for digital items) and the justice system is already backlogged so crimes for small amounts tend to just incite loss of privileges. 

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Shodian said:

No riven is worth that mich.

Nfn77xg.png

Excuse the resolution, I was on iOS. Also, this is just a fraction of some of the other trades I've made/seen made.

Plenty of people have valid concerns over large trades. It's best to just not worry about it. The bad actors are an extreme minority.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 2

While i can't be sure it happens everytime, the riven and plat are part of a trade that gets reversed incase of a trade that isn't supposed to happen.

When that happens, the riven seller simply gets his riven back, while losing on the plat. The riven however becomes untradable.

If things don't work out, all you need is to contact support to have the matter resolved, including the mod/riven restoration or even the possibility of removing premium content to decrease or nullify the negative plat.

My biggest eye opener was when a user who had been banned from the game, took upon himself to get as many players banned using the method you described, this forced numerous players to complain on reddit, drawing negative light on DE, which is what this user wanted, a payback for the ban.
This made me realize (among other complaints, especially on steamforums) that you can't always take the complaints at facevalue, i'm not saying OP is a puppet or that the topic is an imaginary situation, it's only that sometimes complaints are fabricated or the users complaining don't realize that they are being used to complain on the behalf of some random banned member.

Someone stuck with a negative plat balance is only banned until they pay their account back to zero. However someone who issued a chargeback is banned indefinitely.

And the unfortunate reality of the whole situation is that there isn't really any better solution that wouldn't cause far larger issues to many more players. DE has to go after every player involved else they risk loopholes where bad actors can generate free plat with chargebacks and stolen cards. And there'd be no quicker way to literally kill the game than letting such people run rampant as chargebacks are no small matter for any 3rd party vendor.

It's simply the price of having a premium currency being tradable between players.