Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Standing around more NOW...

Bag_n_Gra

"And two: Charm’s randomness encouraged players to “wait for buff” in a way that was counter to Warframe’s speed and fluidity. It was advantageous to allow resources to pile up in the level, deliberately NOT picking them up until Charm gives the resource buff, which could take minutes. The resource buff could even stack, creating random chances on top of random chances, slowing down the game even more. In our fast-paced game about space ninjas, we want to reward players who are mobile and actively engaging with enemies, so we have re-engineered the effect to be always active."

I absolutely cannot believe the tone deafness of this take being used to take something away, and having to farm its replacement through "hunting" in this game, which amounts to entirely more standing around.

Frankly, traversing through buff canceling pitfall-laden tilesets, hoping to avoid the corner creeping Nullifiers, is far more annoying than standing around waiting for enemies to show up to be murdered.

However, I, unlike someone with decision making power understand preference of one set of players may not be that of another set of players.

Putting these new mods behind hunting tags was just a fat lugie spit on the faces of anyone with a passive smeeta build, followed by the smeeta having the worst damage & now made basically useless as the spiteful kick to the junk whilst we are down.

Just please don't justify anything in the future being changed/removed because it's not "fast-paced" when you're going to keep hunting, mining, and fishing in this game as they currently are; if anything inhibits players feeling like space ninjas, it's the hours of standing around farming a randomly rolled resource.

DE kinda lost the concept of interacting with elements of the game in meaningful ways.

If you notice, almost every frame made these days uses basic finger busy timers. Aiming is borderline counterproductive and melee lost half it's interactions outside Durviri which is actually pretty cool doing counters and deflecting arrows. You don't have to Souls boss every enemy but less and more potent enemies leads to more player interaction with them. This goes for many other things including an optimal time to interact with a reward system.

When I returned, only thing I recall Shmeeta being notably useful for was farming Voruna. I bet the new version doesn't work with void traces too =D but it's more than loot. It's a fundamental outlook on how the game is played. This most notably shifted with Void Relics then again with Steel Path enemy density.

If Pablo had said that nothing in the game is allowed to be slow-paced, you'd be spot on with your criticism.  But that's not what he said.

He was talking specifically about how the old Charm impacted combat missions.  By incentivizing players to wait around near dead enemies instead of collecting loot and moving on, it incentivized a style of play that most players find more tedious and less fun.  So they did away with that incentive.

As explained in the patch notes, the new mod keeps the same statistical average of uptime compared to Charm...and now it works on any beast companion.  And if you had a Smeeta, you already own this mod, so you don't need to farm it.  And it does all that without anyone needing to wait around instead of progressing the mission.  For most players, this is a win.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

Practice and keep your eyes open for bubbles.

Lol, the bubbles are around corners and work through walls/doors, as do eximii abilities.

Eximius need line of sight checks, too, especially the jade ones.

14 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

And if you had a Smeeta, you already own this mod, so you don't need to farm it.

The problem is the effects of the Charm mod being split into two mods, and likely not being able to farm with both new mods at the same time, unless THIS is the time DE decides to allow 2 of the same named mods to go on builds. (Stares at differently named mods that add critical chance confused as to why both cannot be placed in the build.)

This is a problem that specifically targets those with passive builds - builds lacking a combat mod that would now be equipped to the only Mastery Rank exempt, mod-able items in the game.

14 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

For most players, this is a win.

I guess I'm the rare player that got screwed by losing my companion to being made irrelevant due to the jealousy & preferred play-style of OTHERS.

And I didn't even get ANY MR advancement benefit from keeping ALL my companions.

But hey, F's for me in chat not wanting to have to stand around in our fast-paced game about space ninjas to hunt to get new mods, all because they nerfed/split my build because other people were standing around and the devs didn't want people standing around.

17 часов назад, (PSN)Magician_NG сказал:

Buckle up, you'll get used to DE balancing things in this manner on the regular.

I'm still very salty about 2 things:
1) Catchmoon got nerfed, cuz "too stronk", later we get Nataruk - a direct upgrade, that was also given to us for free without grinding. (and Tenet Plasmor, And Lex Incarnon)
2) All AoE got ammo and headshot nerfed, then we get basically infinite AoE - Latron/Miter/Torid Incarnons.

1st one at least had a very sizeable break between them. 
2nd one, not so much, I think it happened within a year or so.

Edited by Rantear

18 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

He was talking specifically about how the old Charm impacted combat missions.  By incentivizing players to wait around near dead enemies instead of collecting loot and moving on, it incentivized a style of play that most players find more tedious and less fun.  So they did away with that incentive.

Too bad most of endless missions, where players actually farm resources, are either locked to a single area by default or counterproductive to move around. There's no 'moving on', charm or no.

• Like 1

I am not sure getting companion mods from vendors intended for companion customisation is that large of a stretch of the imagination as far as acquisition goes (you also get the default mod if you already have a smeeta with charm) 

This is most definitely a nerf to the old ways of farming for rarer resources ,never disagreed with that.

But I am slightly happy that I don't actively have to slow down the action to min max my output. 

You are also comparing waiting around at times minutes ignoring the gameplay for having wait a few seconds for the creature to appear that is part of the gameplay. A bit of difference on the intent there sets the context.

I personally enjoyed conservation ,I like such mechanics in most games and it tends to be my first side activity of choice.

I had most of the stuff already , barring a few tags which i got relatively quickly (under 5 minutes) , I still have a few mods to get but it's not a priority right now but it's not going to be much of a challenge (maybe the velocipods could take some time)

7 hours ago, Bag_n_Gra said:

Lol, the bubbles are around corners and work through walls/doors,

Which means it is easier to see them if you're paying attention, but they don't deploy bubbles until alerted. So if you're successfully being sneaky there won't be any bubbles to surprise you. If things are already hectic, you can also fire precautionary shots which will work to shrunk the bubbles if you encounter one around a corner.

If alarms are going off and the entire map is alerted and you are doing nothing, then yes, bad things will happen to you in a game with combat against enemies.

2 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

I am not sure getting companion mods from vendors intended for companion customisation is that large of a stretch of the imagination as far as acquisition goes (you also get the default mod if you already have a smeeta with charm) 

It is when EVERYTHING in their inventory of wares used to cost standing, EXCEPT the floofs, which was appropriate.

However, the justification of "standing around" for breaking Charm up is just tone deaf when all the new mods are going to be aquired by "standing around."

2 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

I personally enjoyed conservation ,I like such mechanics in most games and it tends to be my first side activity of choice.

This is your opinion & tastes. I will rebuttal with: new items don't belong as rewards to completion of near dead activities that very few people enjoy.

Hunting, mining, & fishing are bigger counters to Warframe’s speed & fluidity than Charm ever was, as most people farm in endless missions in an strategic, effective position.

If DE still served the players, then Charm would've been available as it was to ALL companions.

Development team either didn't want to come up with a better way to identify resource "cheaters" than their error prone faux resource caps double & triple smeeta procs kept breaking, or it's propagation of the original issue that created the need/want to boost resource acquisition - ridiculous resource costs to artificially elongate gameplay.

Bottom line, killing enemies is fun whether standing around or traversing the map; looking for needles in the haystack (hunting, mining, fishing, and cache searching) is not, whilst loosing all your buffs, specifically Frost given overguard & most active abilities, to a corner creeping Nullifier or tileset pitfall is the least fun of all.