Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is Dps Important?

MechaTails

I'm not sure why DamagePerSecond is talked about as if it's very important. I rarely need to hold down the trigger on a weapon (with exceptions for mob-killers like the Gorgon of course) to kill something. Usually I'm firing in short bursts to aim at weak spots or take down one or two enemies at a time since the enemies tend to scatter, and they die quickly anyway.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to talk about weapons in terms of damage per bullet? Am I just misunderstanding the terms used?

DPS becomes far more important at higher levels due to the amount of things you kill, how quickly you have to deal damage to them (because there are always more mobs), and so on.

def. wrong.

super small DPS FAQ:

-When do you need high dps?

never.

-Why don't you need dps?

Low level obviously not needed.

High level: not needed because

1) Corpus + Grineer scale out no matter how good your DPS is

2) It's extremely ammo unefficient. (If you need 40 bullets to kill an enemy with you and you have to kill 10 of them => 400 bullets)

3) aoe > dps!!!

-But if i don't need DPS what should i do?

Concentrate on 2 things: 

1) damage per bullet and ammo efficieny

2) long defense/survival always use aoe (bottle neck, or get them in one point)

Edited by buriburi

Because it's a general indication of weapon strength.
It also correlates fire rate/reload speed/mag size, "your ability to shoot and kill quickly", with damage your ability to shoot and kill efficiently. A higher dps number will generally mean more balance or more exceptional strength between the two factors.

You've absolutely hit the nail on the head here. The biggest secret of this game is that it's a Damage Per *Hit* game and not a Damage Per Second game. DPs only comes into play in games like WoW where it takes more than one or two hits to kill something.

High level combat falls down to whether it's the player or the enemy who dishes out higher damage per shot/second rather than any sense of varying strategy or tactics on part of the player or the enemy, so therefore high numbers (DPS) are the only real sense of improvement beyond a certain mod or ability here or there.

Of course if you're not going hours into T3 def/survival it shouldn't bother you too much, but you can still definitely feel the disadvantage of not having serration and elemental builds pretty early on level wise.

well the DPS consider both of the damage per bullet and the fire rate, so if we want to talk about the damage generaly to see if a weopon kill fast or not we use the dps.

and if we use the damage per bullet the high fire rate weopons will look terrible !! cuz that will make us ignore the fire rate !!

It's not important. Ppl in general love to talk about stuff which make them sound super intelligent and dedicated but that's not the case =)

whatever -_-

Fact is that more dps on a survival means more than on any other game mod. You need to kill enemies before you run out of oxygen, and faster you kill them, faster they spawn and drop oxygen supply.

DPS doesn't mean killing faster or more efficiently.

You've absolutely hit the nail on the head here. The biggest secret of this game is that it's a Damage Per *Hit* game and not a Damage Per Second game.

Yeah, the weapons that have a ratio of high damage per hit, along with decent fire rate tend to be the best weapons. This is manly due to the fact weapons like Grakata and the Viper type weapons just burn too much ammo. Phage is a monster because of its damage per hit, and not its fire-rate.

You've absolutely hit the nail on the head here. The biggest secret of this game is that it's a Damage Per *Hit* game and not a Damage Per Second game. DPs only comes into play in games like WoW where it takes more than one or two hits to kill something.

I'd rather take a gun that has less damage per hit but can fire fast than a gun that hits incredibly hard, but fires only once per second.

Warframe is a mob game. A balance is more important than anything. Or else Snipers would be king.

and if we use the damage per bullet the high fire rate weopons will look terrible !! cuz that will make us ignore the fire rate !!

Good point, though it seems "damage per trigger pull" would be a better way of talking about those kind of weapons (at least in non-high-level-survivals/defense) after mods and stuff.

Thanks for the insight folks, I just use a weapon to see if it works well, don't really pay attention to the number lol

Edited by DarkTails

Ppl in this forum are brainwashed. All they read is DPS DPS DPS DPS. And now they think dps is important.

WTF? So how much damage you deal to enemies and how strong your weapon isnt important. Its also ok to kill a grineer heavy gunner in 50 mins while he can kill you in less than a minute. Seems legit. So lets just not have any indication or comparing basis for weapons.

Edited by Cemges

when people are talking about DPS, they usually actually mean TTK. 

DPS is not very useful in a game with infinite scaling. TTK is a much more reliable bit of information.

TTK also allows Weapons like Sniper Rifles to be accounted for accurately. as obviously their DPS is crap - but nobody cares since it kills what it shoots at (in theory). 

Time To Kill people, Time. To. Kill. 

Edit:

DPS is a very useful stat in PvP Shooters, where everyone has 100HP, everyone moves the same speed, everyone has the same 10 or 15 guns. Warframe isn't one of those games.

Edited by taiiat

WTF? So how much damage you deal to enemies and how strong your weapon isnt important. Its also ok to kill a grineer heavy gunner in 50 mins while he can kill you in less than a minute. Seems legit. So lets just not have any indication or comparing basis for weapons.

You don't understand what DPS is.

I'm not sure why DamagePerSecond is talked about as if it's very important. I rarely need to hold down the trigger on a weapon (with exceptions for mob-killers like the Gorgon of course) to kill something. Usually I'm firing in short bursts to aim at weak spots or take down one or two enemies at a time since the enemies tend to scatter, and they die quickly anyway.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to talk about weapons in terms of damage per bullet? Am I just misunderstanding the terms used?

dps doesn't matter if you're still on planets like mercury.