Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question To Everyone; Why Do People Care About Graphics And Framerate So Much

Deidaku

Everywhere , I see people compaining about FPS , and graphics and so , then build monster PCs and stuff..completely obsessed by the 30 - 60fps difference , even though i'm not sure your eye can see the difference that much.

Why are people obsessed by that? s long as your game runs at decent 30+ FPS and looks good it should be okay right?

If you have a good perception you can easily tell the difference between 30 and 60 frames per second.

Anything over the refresh rate of a monitor is in fact lost. Otherwise fps does determine the overall gaming experience.

... even though i'm not sure your eye can see the difference that much.

That, for one, is wrong. Whilst the eyes doesn't see in frames, it can distinguish up to something like 200FPS. The testing equipment didn't go higher than that, so we don't know the upper limits yet.

There's a noticeable difference going from 30FPS to 60FPS. Here, have a website that might help you see the difference.

graphics make the game feels better, i don't give a S#&$ about people saying graphics shouldn't matter and they are only an addon to the game but they are a big part of any game IMO, and well, fps speaks for itself, the higher the fps the more realistic, fast and fun the game is

Graphics - I personally do not mind but most people like it to look great. Apart from Anti-aliasing, I like smooth edges.

FPS - This is major. Your eye translates light at 60FPS, anything higher doesn't matter. 60FPS is essential for professional gaming, as reaction times will vary because of this. Low FPS, slower reaction time, more deaths/losses. 

I'd go more in-depth, but I have dinner a-cookin'.

Fps is important because it changes your reaction time and the way you enjoy the game, more so than any other things.

Why graphics matter is basically has sake answer with why are human different than animals. Human are a smart species and their senses can give them joy, and so since games are focused more on visual experience, what we see should look nice to us, because we play games for joy and graphics are an essential part of it.

because it seems like people have good pcs and after playing a game in 60fps, playing another at 30fps bother them... i have a 7y old pc... i run warframe at 24fps (like S#&$) and when i played it on my friend pc with 60fps it was really easier and enjoyable...the movements are smoother and the gunplay more "realistic"

It's just matter of hbit tho, when everything was capped at 30fps (ages ago) we had no problems with it... but technology never stops evolving

It all comes down to personal preference.. And sometimes to economy.

One of my friends runs Warframe on 30fps, and that suits him just fine.

Though, I grew up around computers, and I've always had an urge to go poking around inside them. I don't claim that I have an extensive knowledge in computers, but I've noted differences between changing graphics cards, going from 30 to 60 in Warframe and many other games. Honestly? The difference between 30 and 60 is just a feel of comfort. Sure, you can notice the lack of framerate at 30, but as long as you don't sit and constantly think about it, there's no real difference. Personally I question having more than 60, but again it's personal preference.

Also, having a steady 60fps can be useful sometimes. Especially if you're running a very long defense mission where those fancy nvidia physx particles fly all over the place, lowering your fps. It's kinda good to have fps to spare in a situation like that, in my own experience. 

Edited by ConcretePie

That, for one, is wrong. Whilst the eyes doesn't see in frames, it can distinguish up to something like 200FPS. The testing equipment didn't go higher than that, so we don't know the upper limits yet.

There's a noticeable difference going from 30FPS to 60FPS. Here, have a website that might help you see the difference.

your eyes can see the difference. One looks smoother and one does not.

This is a common debate that comes up.

Both sides are correct.

You need only need around 45-60 to look right to a person, some people with good eyes may need a little higher. People can, however, see CHANGES in frame rate. If you are running 200fps and suddenly the game drops down to 80 because something big happened,  you will see it.

You want a STABLE frame rate above all else. 60 that stays 60 or 200 that stays 200. Not going back and forth.

This has come up for me thousands of times over the years when I helped admin shooter game servers for a few communities. The goal is to get your frame rate to be stable, not to get it to be high. Old school counter strike could see absurd frame rates and still look horrible because of the drastic changes in timing that would happen from smoke and frag grenades. Used to confuse the heck out of people. I had one poor guy with a super shiny custom skin for his pistol, and he's fire his sniper rifle then swap back and forth to the pistol sometimes, other times back and forth to his knife. Couldn't figure out for the life of him why he kept 'lagging' after some of his shots but not others, and it was just the shiny fancy pistol skin making his FPS fluctuate.

Edited by VKhaun

Everywhere , I see people compaining about FPS , and graphics and so , then build monster PCs and stuff..completely obsessed by the 30 - 60fps difference , even though i'm not sure your eye can see the difference that much.

Why are people obsessed by that? s long as your game runs at decent 30+ FPS and looks good it should be okay right?

Thomas Edison said that 46 frames per second was the minimum need by the visual cortex: "Anything less will strain the eye."

So since he's my hero, I try to play at a minimum of 80fps

Do some research on how eyes and monitors work, and you will understand why.

Most of us are FPS players..when you play an FPS on PC, whilst graphics do not necessarily matter, the FPS certainly does. You are going to get a lot of mean comments for asking this question.

There is a huge difference between 15fps, 20 fps, 30 fps, 45 fps, 60fps, 70fps (on 60hz monitor), 100 fps (on 60hz monitor) and 120fps (on 120hz monitor) and so many versions. Unless you've been into FPS for long time it is hard to see the difference but your aim, the response time and smooth animation is all effected by this.

EDIT:

Some people can't stand at 30fps games, whilst others (like me) can do 10-15fps no problem at lowest resolutions. It depends how you grew up too, if you grew up with old-school games vs Crysis 2, you can see why they have different opinions :/

Edited by noveltyhero

I don't care that much for Graphics but atmosphere is what matter alot for me. A Game can ahve the best Graphics but if the atmosphere or the Sytle is bad (for me) i just see no point in playing it.

For the FPS: That is one of the most important things when playing Games (espacially when you play a shooter). The more FPS you have the smoother something seems. Itys a myth that the human eye can only see up to 30 fps. Everything higher then 24 seems smooth because our eye can put in the missing frames. But if they are actually there it jsut is smoother.

But also there is a big difference beween playing a Game with high FPS and watchigna movie with higher FPS then ususal. In Movies (for exacmple the hobbit which had a 48 fps version) it can be that it just doesn't feel right becasue you aren't doing anything activly (or atleast that was the explaination i think, i can't reember it right now though).

But for Games: The more FPS = the smoother it seems = the better you can play

night and day difference, nice link btw +1

I don't know, maybe people are obsessed with it because low framerate and bad graphics is painful to look at, there's not a single person out there that would choose bad graphics and low framerate, It's completely normal to want improvements.

Edited by tatcher

Epeen. Lets people brag about getting 90 billion frames a femtosecond.

Some other people just like overclocking I guess.

And like others have said, there is a big difference between 30 and 60, I personally have my frames locked at 75.