Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Devstream 31 Does Not Bode Well, In My Opinion.

SableSonata

this has irritated me for too long. the beta excuse doesnt work anymore and honestly its a really lame cop-out. when you are making money off a beta, that label should be thrown away because at this stage it means you are providing a complete service. If Beta is still tagged to this game then that means its not complete, or the "core" isnt there...

The core isn't there. Name me a mechanic that is fully fleshed out.

Did you also notice they said absolutely nothing about when U14 is coming out, I saw tons of people asking and not once did they even address the question.

They said "not next week."  They also said that they're reluctant to talk about release dates because of all the variables.

So yeah, they kinda did.

If anyone was here when the scarves were going to be introduced you'll remember this.

This is the exact same thing we got back then. It's kind of funny.

Some people asked for ninja dogs, DE said cool, some other people dont like it and use it as an excuse to say nothing else is being done simply because that's what DE chooses to promote.

If anyone was here when the scarves were going to be introduced you'll remember this.

This is the exact same thing we got back then. It's kind of funny.

Some people asked for ninja dogs, DE said cool, some other people dont like it and use it as an excuse to say nothing else is being done simply because that's what DE chooses to promote.

So we should just assume that they're working on things when we see no evidence that they're being worked on, and are not even told they're being worked on? 

Would it kill them to throw in a brief mention of improvements to core mechanics such as movement, stealth, or balance? And no, just saying the word 'balance' does not count. We've been getting teases of Hysteria's new animations for a month, but we can't even show any work that's been done on basic movement, or make any attempt to address the dilution problem other than try to explain why they diluted things even more when they could have reduced dilution for less effort?.

So we should just assume that they're working on things when we see no evidence that they're being worked on, and are not even told they're being worked on? 

Would it kill them to throw in a brief mention of improvements to core mechanics such as movement, stealth, or balance? And no, just saying the word 'balance' does not count. We've been getting teases of Hysteria's new animations for a month, but we can't even show any work that's been done on basic movement, or make any attempt to address the dilution problem other than try to explain why they diluted things even more when they could have reduced dilution for less effort?.

If you want them to talk more about certain things ask for them to talk more instead of pushing the idea of they are doing nothing but the dogs simply because that the thing they decided to promote.

BTW, there is no dilution problem. People just dont seem to understand that rare items are rare and no matter what's on the loot table the rare item will be rare. If the item was rare and the only options to appear are you either get the item or you get nothing you will be getting nothing most of the time. And it's extremely likely that DE is just going to simply say, " OK, items not rare now." With no reason at all. Wait until they add something, probably dogs, which will take enough attention that DE can ease the drop rate on other stuff. This is how DE has done it from the start.

If you want them to talk more about certain things ask for them to talk more instead of pushing the idea of they are doing nothing but the dogs simply because that the thing they decided to promote.

BTW, there is no dilution problem. People just dont seem to understand that rare items are rare and no matter what's on the loot table the rare item will be rare. If the item was rare and the only options to appear are you either get the item or you get nothing you will be getting nothing most of the time. And it's extremely likely that DE is just going to simply say, " OK, items not rare now." With no reason at all. Wait until they add something, probably dogs, which will take enough attention that DE can ease the drop rate on other stuff. This is how DE has done it from the start.

Asking them to talk more about things doesn't work. They pick and choose, and even the most popular issues they do their best to sidestep. The answer given for why T4 managed to dilute the tables even more... didn't quite align with reality, let's say.

There is a dilution problem; every piece added to a drop table makes every other piece on that table harder to get. There are no 'rare' parts (or there aren't supposed to be) since DE made prime drop rates equal a few updates ago. Unless they're lying about the tables, there are no 'rare' prime parts; any apparent rarity is a result of luck/RNG. 

As transparent as DE is, we obviously do not have the full picture on what is happening. The devstream seemed to be intended to show what they have done, not what they are doing now. For every major gameplay change they've talked about: damage 2.0, melee 2.0, and the upcoming focus system, they seem to say that they go through multiple iterations and continually scrap versions they weren't satisfied with. What we see on the streams is probably just a fraction of what they are working on. We don't see the meetings, planning periods, or conceptualizing they do. The only way we would truly know what they are working on is they record everything that happens in their office(which is INSANELY creepy).

Don't know what the balance between "Doing what we want" and "Doing what the players want" is, but a lot of decisions (such as the doggies) were made because they had popular support (Well, people did not immediately hate it and demand it to be shafted).

So, long story short, we have more transparency and communication than most companies, but we ultimately have very little in the grand scheme of things.

Now... personally I'm not that much hyped for Kubrows either -

But the majority of the Warframe community sure is!

And that's why they talk about Kubrows half of the time and put much effort into their development- because most players have high expectations on the Kubrows.  makes sense, no?

Seriously.... If I had to guess what the community wants the most atm, I'd say it's Kubrow dogs.

its a new Sentinel. thats it.

Asking them to talk more about things doesn't work. They pick and choose, and even the most popular issues they do their best to sidestep. The answer given for why T4 managed to dilute the tables even more... didn't quite align with reality, let's say.

It doesnt have to be on the shows, they were supposed to be posting weekly updates on this board but that happened a handful of times and it was forgotten. Bring this up and ask for it to be reinstated.

There is a dilution problem; every piece added to a drop table makes every other piece on that table harder to get. There are no 'rare' parts (or there aren't supposed to be) since DE made prime drop rates equal a few updates ago. Unless they're lying about the tables, there are no 'rare' prime parts; any apparent rarity is a result of luck/RNG.

They said there are no rare parts? Can i get a confirmation on this? Because what we have on the game is extremely different.

And if they actually said all parts have an equal chance at dropping then i will definitely be on your side cause it's kind of obvious that primes usually have one part that is harder to get.

They're putting the Kubrow before the cart? Sort to speak? Ha.

Sorry, one look at their little fuzzy faces, and I almost forget about the RNG and grind/time walls we are going to have to deal with to get the one we actually want.

Oof, I almost forgot about that. At least they won't require obscene amounts of Oxium or Argon right? [size=1]Right?[/size]

My last hope is that once they finish with the "new player experience" by addressing the wrong issues and implement space tomagotchis they will start working on more important issues.

I have doubts after hearing about the idea of adding low tiered version of the required mods and further screwing up the loot pool with those.

The tier 4 dilution is also an extremely crappy excuse imo.They should just tell us that they politely disagree with the continuous complains regarding void grind and RNG and be done with it instead of telling us things like this.

Inb4 mister founder/prime access buyer calls me a whiner and asks me to stop complaining or tells me how DE are working on everything at once and how everything will be fine.

I had really high hopes with this game.It is unique and awesome because it incorporates certain things that other MMOs are definitely missing these days from the unique art that you can't hope to see in any other game to the abilities combined with melee, gunplay and parkour along with many other things.I really like this game and that is the reason I haven't quit until now but things are looking worse with every update.

They dilute the loot pool, they show no intention on lessening the RNG and grind,they add more and more resources for us to grind, they refuse to address issues such as the fact that damage and ability mods still outclass most other mods along with other problems that existed for a very very long time and instead they just add more "pretty" things such as ships and space dogs that we genuinely have to treat like a tomagochi in order to lengthen the gameplay.

Edited by Cabadath5

Last time I checked working on a major thing in a game doesn't mean the development has ceased -_- 

major but not required, its liek the melee revamp, yeah it was a big change but it doesnt feel it when i still just whack E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E non stop like i did before, only beforehand i could hold E for a charged attack, now it feels like i have less than i did before.

kubrows so far sound the same, as melee2.0, extractors, spectres, rails, etc, a big addition that just doesnt fit anywhere or have any real reason to be there, certainly has no useful impact on the game as we play it, they feel like disjointed minigames.

A few points to make:

1) Just because they're working on one thing and talking about it in a live stream doesn't mean they're not also working on other core issues or at least planning out how they're going to tackle them

2) While Kubrows and New Player Experience stuff doesn't sound interesting, they kind of need new stuff to keep people playing - I see a lot of people asking for DE to "Stop making new content and work on fixes!" - But the same people also mention "There's nothing to do in game, all I get to do is log on once a week to max out the new Tenno Reinforcement weapon!"

Just doing overhauls 1 at a time for however long it takes to get to the point where most people want EVERYTHING to be at would mean a huge period where literally nothing new is brought to the game - The overhauls would still come slowly enough that core gameplay wouldn't suddenly be the utopian dream everyone has instantly and without anything new all the people complaining about it would likely leave for lack of things to do.

3) It's not possible to work on everything at once. Progress can only be achieved by focusing on relatively small tasks at a time. This time it's Kubrows and the New Player Experience (Which is setting up the framework for Quests and Lore for the future - Another task that will need to be focused on for another update). Next time it might be dilution or a new overhaul or whatever.

DE knows they have a lot of things that need tweaking and fixing, they also know that they need to take it step by step to maintain any semblance of progress.

Half the stream was dedicated to the Kubrow and how Kubrows are more complex and have more effort put into them than anything else in Warframe to date. Unless we get to play as the Kubrows, I don't get why they're getting more effort than the rest of the game.

They're not getting more effort then the rest of the game. They're getting more attention then the rest of the game because that what the majority of the players are hyping about. That and the new ships.

Scott commented on the concern of mods acting as bandaids, such as Handspring, and he responded saying that those mechanics are there for the sake of balance. Unfortunately, I completely disagree with that and I don't see how that's any kind of balance, since it mostly just restricts responsiveness in gameplay as well as avoiding the problems in balance in the first place.

If things like handspring made it into core mechanics, DE themselves would be able to balance gameplay and enemies out in a way that conforms to the new responsive system, potentially making more skill-based gameplay and actions.

I agree. Knockdowns can definitely work as part of the game mechanics, but they will only do so if we are given ways to manually counter those attacks. For example, if I get knocked down I should be able to press a key (such as the jump key) at the right moment to be able to avoid falling down. I should only fall down and become an easy target if I fail to press that key at the right moment. So the punishment for not being skillful enough would be to become an easy target. This effectively turns knockdowns into tests of skill. Equipping a mod, on the other hand, is not a test of skill and it does not help making the gameplay more engaging.

Edited by Amazerath

Oof, I almost forgot about that. At least they won't require obscene amounts of Oxium or Argon right? Right?

They'll probably require Oxium, but that's probably just because you're bound to get some Oxium on Venus. Assuming the Kubrow are taken from Earth. :P

Surprise! They focused a dev stream on the update they are currently working on. Wow. Who would have thought that they would speak specifically on where they are in terms of the next major update, and not what they are planning next, when it sounds like all hands are on deck to push U14 out in a completed state?

Never mind the incessant complaints about "grind" and "RNG", when there has been absolutely no thought beyond the idea presented is immediate gratification, with no thought as to how DE is gonna make money if they made *everything* easy to acquire within hours of release? How else are the vet players expected to keep rolling in plat they don't need to pay for by trading the stuff they 'farm' for, in order to sell to other players?

U14 is set in stone, and is coming. I'll withhold my pitchforks and torches till after the release settles and then they detail what they are looking to work on next. If it makes no sense, I'll personally set up a table to distribute them out. Till then, I'm not going to spend energy on something that is clearly had tons of hours put into, simply because it doesn't focus on what *I* want. My blood pressure is much better for it.

/rant

I've always thought there should be "better" or at least "other" versions of Mods, like imagine a Serration that didn't go from Drain 4 to 14/Rank 0 to 10, but instead was a Drain 2 to 12/Rank 0 to 10, or even a beginner Serration that was Drain 2 to 8/Rank 0 to 6, and maybe an "ultra rare" that went from Drain 6 to 18/Rank 0 to 12.  Maybe even something like a Serration that couldn't be Ranked up at all, but had a flat value.

See where I'm going with this?  Varying qualities within a mod type.

If there were "baby" versions of at least the essential mods, Serration and Hornet Strike, and they were called the same things so that they couldn't be stacked on a single weapon, that could increase accessibility and incentivize long-term play.

I'd definitely like to see a Pressure Point with a slightly higher Rank ceiling.  :D

Another thought, how long do you think it'll be until Warframe has an item that adds a Mod Slot to weapons?  As I've played this game, I've wondered why every weapon has 8 slots from the beginning.  It always seemed like a good thing to have been varied up, like some weapons have six slots, others 7, others 8, with a small handful of 9s and a rare few 10s.  Anyway.  You know you'd love to add a slot.