Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Are Some Examples Of "good" End Game, In Other Games?

-Berserk-

What are we suppose to be looking for exactly, in an End Game? What are your best examples?

My thoughts.

To me, it would be end game exclusive gear,(Stats are mean nothing to me) things you cant just buy, I want to enter a lobby and see a dude with some fancy armor or something and go "Damn, He managed to get through that dungeon and kill so on and so forth."

Distinction amongst your peers beyond how much money you have.

(I buy as many cosmetics as I can, because if it can be Farmed in game, I will farm, but I also want to support the Game.)

I know that sounds silly coming from a founder, but its true and think about that hook for a new player seeing the version of their frame they could become.

That is what got me Farming in Diablo, We where both Shamans, but he had clearly been to hell and back, and I could too, so I kept playing.

I went to high end content not because I was bored, but because I wanted that mask I could only get from that dungeon or Rift, also fun. Warframe is already fun, I would just like a distinction earned through play, not work. Rakta Syandana is the best example

End game could mean different things, depending on the game you play. Here are a few that I can think of:

-Dungeons that scale.

-Dungeons that force players to play at a certain level/statistic, so they aren't LOLOPFACEROLL and have to stratagize through the dungeon to victory.

-Boss rush mode.

-Time attack.

-PvP

-WvW

-Duels.

-Player Killing

-Raid bosses of epicness.

Those come to mind at the top of my head. End Game is supposed to be something that entertains you even after you're satisfied with your characters load-out.

These can be from small things like increased difficulty for missions, to that planet sized space dragon threatening the galaxy, and some people just like to beat each other up.

Prime gear used to be that, before Prime Access and trading of Prime parts.

I used to be really proud of getting Frost Prime back in the day...

Yeah, I remember when Primes were special. That crazy sense of achievement when you got Frost Prime or what have you.

Primes themselves even felt rewarding to get, since the Void used to be a lovely place to explore and find all kinds of neat loot. The prime parts were just a bonus.

Depends on what you consider "Good"

Popular MMO's typically go for the gear treadmill route. Releasing progressively better gear behind "New" and "Interesting" grind walls raids and dungeons, complete with RNG and competition within allied groups over whom gets the particular item that actually dropped.

Yay for artificially extended gameplay!

As for end-game I think might be interesting:-

Quests and storyline progression. If the quests are interesting and give a sense of discovery about the lore then even grindy ones can be good.

Challenge modes (Like Nightmare modes only specifically chosen beforehand rather than randomly selected upon entering the mission - Could be chosen by Dragon Key like equipment) that are difficult (So require tuned up weapons and frames) but reward unique cosmetic items.

Arenas similar to the Colleseum in Kingdom Hearts 1 - Complete with multiple difficulties and change them on a regular basis and give out rewards for completing them (Cosmetics for example)

Large scale, multiple phased boss fights - With how subsequent Breeding Grounds missions after the first has dialogue that references that you've done the mission before complete with level scaling based off how many times you've been there, having big boss battle missions that progress to a different part after you do a certain number of missions could be interesting (For example: Start off killing dudes to get to the boss, then have to do missions where you weaken the bosses defences, then there's fighting multiple stages of the boss which culminates in a epic "Final Form" boss fight)

Be A Better Stalker

1 end game feature for me in Warframe...

Boss Revenge Missions (reverse stalker)

I would like a leaderboard of daily Assassination missions completed by Tenno with bounties offered by different factions/bosses. Tenno could then select to take on a Revenge Mission for Kril or any other boss. The objective would be to spawn in on a player's mission like the stalker does, to exact your revenge and collect the bounty.

You are essentially a Stalker, Tenno hitman for hire. Can you imagine spawning in the middle of a 4-person Survival or Def mission where you have to find and assassinate your intended target while dealing with the other 3 tenno and all the faction enemies?

End Game for me.

Edited by RawGritz

I admit : the Boss Rush is currently the easiest "endgame" thing we could have. Let us be able to put Nightmare missions everywhere + a secret agent mode where you have to end the mission without setting any alarm on.

If they put Vor's prize this week or the next one), they are introducing something quite interesting for the good ol' CBT/early OBT players who want to play for a purpose, and not just kill bullet sponges. :)

End game could mean different things, depending on the game you play. Here are a few that I can think of:

-Dungeons that scale.

-Dungeons that force players to play at a certain level/statistic, so they aren't LOLOPFACEROLL and have to stratagize through the dungeon to victory.

-Boss rush mode.

-Time attack.

-PvP

-WvW

-Duels.

-Player Killing

-Raid bosses of epicness.

Those come to mind at the top of my head. End Game is supposed to be something that entertains you even after you're satisfied with your characters load-out.

These can be from small things like increased difficulty for missions, to that planet sized space dragon threatening the galaxy, and some people just like to beat each other up.

Dungeon is the right word to use, I always think of Warframe as a dungeon crawler. Maybe set levels instead of random generated one with set mutations per tile?

Depends on what you consider "Good"

Popular MMO's typically go for the gear treadmill route. Releasing progressively better gear behind "New" and "Interesting" grind walls raids and dungeons, complete with RNG and competition within allied groups over whom gets the particular item that actually dropped.

Yay for artificially extended gameplay!

As for end-game I think might be interesting:-

Quests and storyline progression. If the quests are interesting and give a sense of discovery about the lore then even grindy ones can be good.

Challenge modes (Like Nightmare modes only specifically chosen beforehand rather than randomly selected upon entering the mission - Could be chosen by Dragon Key like equipment) that are difficult (So require tuned up weapons and frames) but reward unique cosmetic items.

Arenas similar to the Colleseum in Kingdom Hearts 1 - Complete with multiple difficulties and change them on a regular basis and give out rewards for completing them (Cosmetics for example)

Large scale, multiple phased boss fights - With how subsequent Breeding Grounds missions after the first has dialogue that references that you've done the mission before complete with level scaling based off how many times you've been there, having big boss battle missions that progress to a different part after you do a certain number of missions could be interesting (For example: Start off killing dudes to get to the boss, then have to do missions where you weaken the bosses defences, then there's fighting multiple stages of the boss which culminates in a epic "Final Form" boss fight)

artificial extenders aren't bad when used properly, who cares if you have to run a 100 room dungeon if the gameplay is fun

Yeah, I remember when Primes were special. That crazy sense of achievement when you got Frost Prime or what have you.

Primes themselves even felt rewarding to get, since the Void used to be a lovely place to explore and find all kinds of neat loot. The prime parts were just a bonus.

I agree. I know this is an old topic and was debated to death when it first arose, but I still feel that prime trading was a huge mistake. It has rendered prime gear the exact opposite of what it was supposed to be.

Endgame for me is memorable boss battles, and for Warframe specifically some kind of competitive feature involving the Grineer, Corpus, and any other future sentient races that actually feels meaningful.  I'd like to support the Grineer in kicking Corpus &#!, but for bigger reasons than the local invasion and a pay out of one orokin cell or 35000 credits.

Three words. Player generated content. Hundreds of developers and publishers have used this methodology to extend their game's longevity and increase long-term player retention, and 9 times out of 10 those companies and their games see resounding success. DE is slowly warming up to it, Rome wasn't built in a day after all, but I'm pretty confident that's where we're headed and it's one of the many places the game should move towards.

Well what does WoW and them do.  It's mostly epic dungeons in which players go to get the uber leet gear and then PvP.

I would love to see some GOOD PvP added in Warframe that would be completely optional.  With just a little creativity in the lore it would work quite well.  You can have Corpus and Grineer operatives using weapons and technology reverse engineered from Warframes so the Corpus and Grineer each have their own Tenno.  Or just go with the whole "mercenary thing" and have some Tenno support one faction and other Tenno support another.  

The hard part would be tweaking skills and abilities to still be effective, but not cheap.  Rhino Stomp for example should maybe do some damage and knock enemy Tenno back instead of that funky time stasis thing, as an example.

On a similar topic, didn't DE say long time ago (1 year +)that one of their final goals for Warframe was player generated contents?

They talked about player created maps and weaponry. Since then I've never heard this come up.

Whatever happened to that?

Closest thing we have is the melee weapon design contest

On a similar topic, didn't DE say long time ago (1 year +)that one of their final goals for Warframe was player generated contents?

They talked about player created maps and weaponry. Since then I've never heard this come up.

Whatever happened to that?

Closest thing we have is the melee weapon design contest

They spoke about it on a Devstream, about posting kits that players could use to create skins for weapons and warframes.. as a start..

I would really like something like Neverwinter's foundry toolset for creating player quests and sharing them..

Edited by DietEbolaCola

Alright, I got it:

DE continues along with the quest and lore they're working on to eventually develop a storyline that isn't based on events and is permanently in-game. They remove Vor from Mercury, revamp his battle so it is multi-staged and challenging, and place him at the end of the questline ( subject to change depending on whether or not Twin Sisters ever show up). After players have made it all the way to Vor through the "story mode" and have defeated him, we are given his key (DE's job to decide what it does for us).Boom. Conquerers of the game get to show off the key (and all the other stuff throughout the storyline) to their friends. Please note it is past midnight here and I didn't really put much thought into it, but I do feel like Vor shouldn't be the entry-level boss. He's kinda the "poster boss"

What are we suppose to be looking for exactly, in an End Game? What are your best examples?

My thoughts.

To me, it would be end game exclusive gear,(Stats are mean nothing to me) things you cant just buy, I want to enter a lobby and see a dude with some fancy armor or something and go "Damn, He managed to get through that dungeon and kill so on and so forth."

Distinction amongst your peers beyond how much money you have.

(I buy as many cosmetics as I can, because if it can be Farmed in game, I will farm, but I also want to support the Game.)

I know that sounds silly coming from a founder, but its true and think about that hook for a new player seeing the version of their frame they could become.

That is what got me Farming in Diablo, We where both Shamans, but he had clearly been to hell and back, and I could too, so I kept playing.

I went to high end content not because I was bored, but because I wanted that mask I could only get from that dungeon or Rift, also fun. Warframe is already fun, I would just like a distinction earned through play, not work. Rakta Syandana is the best example

We had it once, orokin derelict assassination. People complained about grind wall, others worked to defeat this hella of a boss to get nekros. Was nekros worth it, questionable, but the experience was totally worth it.

Edited by Jacate