Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will The Planets Be Correct With Update 14?

Guest Tehnoobshow

Guest Tehnoobshow

Right now the Star Chart is pretty messed regarding the planets. Will update 14 address some of theses issues or will I have to keep suspending my disbelief?

1. Phobos should be in Mars' orbit. It also shouldn't be spherical. (The tileset is also geologically incorrect but that's too difficult to change so I won't ask)

2. Ceres should be in the Asteroid belt (between Mars and Jupiter)

3. Europa should be in Jupiter's orbit.

4. Eris should be farther from the Sun than Pluto.

5. Sedna should also be farther from the Sun than Pluto (but closer than Eris)

Edit: Apparently Eris and Sedna are in the right places in the game, I just forgot.

6. The planets/satellites/dwarf planets should have the correct images for their surface instead of recycling the same textures. (Europa and Sedna have the same texture I believe)

7. Why is Phobos a seperate location when it's only the size of Houston while 3 of the Gallilean Moons (and Titan and Triton) are only single mission nodes?

8. Why don't we have missions on the Moon yet?

Edited by Tehnoobshow

As a fellow astronomy geek, I would also appreciate a little more accuracy, but I won't freak out about it either. Although with Update 14, the mission list is supposed to look really different anyways so it may not matter any more. In the preview they showed weeks ago, all the planets were just on one circle, and you rotated it to choose your level.

The new UI basically makes them a circular menu of options so the "chart" characteristic is gone and so is the inaccuracy.

Oh and good call about the moon.  Id like to see a moon dust outside level :)

Edited by Toztman

Isn't Earth spinning in the wrong direction also?

That assumes we are at on stationary point and our ships isn't moving. Depending on speed and direction of travel the Earth could be stationary or we could be flying in the opposite direction that it rotates faster than it rotates.

81983Vb.jpg

Something wrong with lore? Orokins.

Edited by immolator1001

Guys, the starchart is just a graphical representation. It's not meant to be accurate, it's meant to be easy to navigate.

It's also, I believe, arranged according to the relative levels of the enemies found there, with tougher enemies being farther out in the starchart. I guess changing the levels around would remove that justification.

That being said, the new starchart is going to be different and none of this may apply at all.

It would probably look nicer if everything was more realistic though.  Maybe not perfectly realistic, as in "to scale," because that would make the planets too tiny...but it would be cool if Phobos orbited around Mars, if the orbit paths of Neptune and Pluto crossed, if there was an asteroid belt with Ceres in it, and the like.  It would just seem cleaner and more professional.

However that may be a moot point if the new "star chart" doesn't have orbit paths at all, and instead has a ring with different planets displayed on it regardless of the actual orbits.

I think this topic is pretty pointless because many of the "planets" in this game cannot be found in reality what does not matter anyway

Errm, you're mistaken, all those celestial bodies exist, all aren't planets, some are moons and some dwarf planets but still.

Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, Uranus - Planets

Phobos, Europa - Moons

Ceres, Pluto, Eris, Sedna - Dwarf Planets

Void - interstellar space/border between solar system and interstellar, location isn't fictional but the weird "void energy" is

Derelict - overrun orokin spaceships/spacestations("towers") fictional obviously but their location aren't, could be anywhere in the solar system though lore suggests ceres is the hub of infested activity and thus infested ships are most likely close to the asteroid belt.

WF has a pretty loose grasp on the actual layout of the solar system and yeah phobo's tileset is clearly mars, phobos is a tiny rock going around mars, it's not large enough to have that much surface gravity etc, but I doubt DE will correct these inaccuracies anytime soon.

The tilesets and their mapping to the solar system are just window dressing, doesn't really have any real purpose in-game and it being innacurate doesn't really change anything other than annoy the few of us that have a good understanding of the solar system.

Wish DE pulled from our knowledge of the solar system to make more locations/tilesets though, I assume the upcoming frozen wasteland tileset is europa, it fits, a very cold iced-over moon etc, there are a lot of moons left unexplored by DE still though and neptune, uranus, mercury don't have their own tilesets yet, neptune and uranus would inevitably be a lot like the jupiter one, stations/ships near a gas giant, but mercury could be really interesting, it's terrestrial so there is ground to stand on, and you could have mechanics involving the close proximity to the sun, underground caves blasted and dug through the crust to mine something with occasional holes into space where the high radiation saps your shields etc (like in that ME mission). It could look really awesome, mercury is a jagged sun blasted place, it's an interesting contrast, the ground is very dark but the sky is dominated by a huge merciless sun.

And Ceres set in the asteroid belt could make a really cool tileset, skybox full of asteroids, low gravity and perhaps several smaller asteroids joined together into a network to mine them etc, like the exterior location in one of the invasion grineer -> corpus transition rooms but on a larger scale.

"The Moon" aka Luna aka Earth's moon would also be a nice location for a tileset, safe to assume it's been colonized long ago and a lot of infrastructure built on it's surface, some of it so old it could be in ruins, could be a very dark and scary place.

Edited by KriLL3

Are we really debating this again?  So the unrealistic nature of the nanovirus that created the Warframes, their various powers and abilities, the existence of of non-human lifeforms, the ability to adjust the local gravity, none of this bothered you ~ but the unrealistic arrangement of the planets sets you off?

Really?

Okay, snark generator set to low.  Maybe sci-fi gaming ain't your thang.  Seriously, maybe fantasy gaming is more your speed, where Devs get to make all their own rules, and dragons and fairies and elves are all perfectly acceptable.  I mean, one can't argue that a dragon wasn't implemented properly, because dragons don't exist, and therefore can't be "made wrong".  Elements of Warframe (even given the minimal amount of lore available currently) appear to be at least partially based in the Real World, and thus can be "wrong" in the sense that they don't conform to reality as we know it.  So, maybe try fantasy games.

Edited by PanUmbrian

I'll just be glad when we move to the new UI so it stops coming up. The layout of the 'planets' in this instance is irrelevant and will never imitate life. Seems like it would be a waste of time to have the UI programmers studying astronomy.

One question : will the new UI completely remove the orbits and will all the planets just be around our sat tenno?

(If that's the case, a toggleable "solar system" UI would be welcome.)

Edited by unknow99

For clarity, the above image posted by Jahadaya is one of the many iterations the star chart has gone through. 

That look is pretty close to the one shown in https://warframe.com/news/lets-meet-pablo-and-dorian-1 specifically this image

sCSr5Tx.png

re-sized it because it's huge, here is the original: https://damrte0h9s7q0.cloudfront.net/sites/all/themes/warframebase/images/Interviews/001/solarView.jpg

Tthat layout has several problems primarily the planets are unlabeled until hovered, that's known in the trade as mystery meat navigation, and the planets aren't visually distinct enough to quickly pick out, nor are they placed in a way that lets you remember their location, old starchart for all it's faults at least used distance to the sun and size to differentiate the planets and had permanent text labels on them to make navigating it much easier.

Edited by KriLL3

you're mistaken, all those celestial bodies exist

What? They can all be found IRL.

It might be true that something called xyz exists but that doesn't make it a planet. Earth for example is not a planet, just for your information

Edited by DarkDataStorm