Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Ui Feedback From Ui/ux Designer: Visually Nicer, Slower To Use, More Clicks To Do The Same Task

KriLL3

You can't f**king be serious. Immersion > Easy to use?!

What exactly is wrong with you, Pablo?

You do NOT ever put "Immersion" or "Pretty graphics" before utility. 

F**k your immersion, I want something EASY AND ENJOYABLE TO USE.  

I don't want to hear you or ANYONE from DE saying they'll put "Immersion" before good, polished gameplay. You are killing Warframe.

Just asking: Are you saying that the new UI is "hard" to use? 

I don't want to hear you or ANYONE from DE saying they'll put "Immersion" before good, polished gameplay. You are killing Warframe.

The best would be to have Immersion & Pretty graphics AND good polished UI-usability at the same time. Maybe even some predictive interface behaviors. (Hire someone from Apple to help out with their UI. ;) )

Slap some context driven keyboard shortcuts on all the menus/select-able items and it'd help out a lot. Could fly through the menus that way. Especially the star map allowed previous/next planet/moon/destination and there was more cross-integration between the various menus. (And try to avoid using the escape key too much.)

Just asking: Are you saying that the new UI is "hard" to use? 

It's buggy. And that moron, (Yes, You're a moron, Pablo. And you'll remain one until you change your ideals for Warframe) said that he would put immersion before utility, Which is unacceptable.

I seriously doubt this will kill warframe, there's no need to go ballistic here. The trick here would be to have immersion and ease of use, not one or the other. Some quality-of-life improvements would go a long way towards fixing this UI. At the very least it's a solid foundation to build off.

The devs wanting an immersive UI isn't the problem here.

Except when Im working on mods and a friend invites me to his group to run missions.  Now I have to spam ESC to exit out and get to any menu, not just the one magic ESC 'split second' key press everyone keeps making up.

The only thing more laughable about the ESC key press people, is DE themselves being so ignorant to what a lot of people are commenting about as legit issues with the UI.  Its like they are sticking their fingers in their ears, closing their eyes and just keep repeating," I CANT HEAR YOU, I CANT HEAR YOU, I CANT HEAR YOU".....to their playerbase....when this game eventually fails, you'll know why.  Im hoping there are some upcoming changes that make the UI more bearable, but unfortunately, the UI has gotten worse with each "fix".

^ quoted for truth.

If by spam ESC you mean press it twice, then yes. There are legitimate problems with the new UI, but having a massive overreaction and saying the UI is going to kill the game isn't helping your case.

if it ends up that annoying to use that you just cant be bothered to use it and then cant be bothered to login then yeah it doesnt help keep the playerbase at all.

if it ends up that annoying to use that you just cant be bothered to use it and then cant be bothered to login then yeah it doesnt help keep the playerbase at all.

I wonder how much the percentage of people leaving just because of the new UI is. Sometimes I'd like to be one of the hamsters in DE's server farm just to have some insight on statistics. xD

I wonder how much the percentage of people leaving just because of the new UI is. Sometimes I'd like to be one of the hamsters in DE's server farm just to have some insight on statistics. xD

Well there's at least me.

Although I'm not really quitting, just refusing to play until it is fixed.

I keep tabs on the game to see when it happens and if I can make it happen faster.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

Isaard, on 20 Jul 2014 - 6:09 PM, said:snapback.png

Just had to add my +1 to this topic, thank you for the wonderful post OP.

If the nav console in the ship just pulled up this old star map it would be a massive improvement. 

As of right now looking sadly at this screenshot is the closest I'll get to playing Warframe. I love the new player experience and the ship, there are some really great additions to the game but the UI really is a gamebreaker for me. Being cut off from so much information and functionality, while having so much extra time added to ingame tasks has ruined my player experience. I want to play Warframe right now but the thought of struggling with the UI is actually keeping me from launching the game and instead I'm on the forums.

I feel exactly the same way.

Me too. I have no problem with the ship, but the new star chart in particular completely kills my enthusiasm to play. I haven't unlocked all nodes yet, so finding which mission to do next is very frustrating. A lot of the time with the old star chart I couldn't remember planet names, etc., but I knew roughly where in the overall system to look for a specific mission. 

Over the last 3 weeks or so I don't think I've attempted a single mission. I make it as far as that idiotic star map and just log out in anger. How's that for "immersion"?

Wow. This post goes so far beyond what I was even willing to touch. Yes, it's all true and wonderfully constructed post but I would settle for an optional and much less graphic intentisive alternative UI. With the whole ship experience removed naturally. But if all this were to be fixed then I suppose an optional secondary UI might not be necessary. These fixes would require a lot more work though :)

• 3 weeks later...

This is a difference in direction, you are thinking ease of use is king, where to us immersion is king. You could certainly make the argument that the foundry information could be easier to read as an excel sheet, but it's not what we are going for.

The direction DE plans to take scares me. So basically, screw ease of use in the pursuit of better immersion?

What next, making us wait 200-300 days real life time to travel from Earth to Mars or making kubrows poop?

The direction DE plans to take scares me. So basically, screw ease of use in the pursuit of better immersion?

What next, making us wait 200-300 days real life time to travel from Earth to Mars or making kubrows poop?

Funny, I never saw that quote before.

I would think immersion and ease of use overlap--reality does not feature nested menus at all.

Yeah, you can't really have immersion without ease of use.

well in my case, immersion taking the place of ease of use means i dont play anymore, ive seen a few others of the same opinion so for us at least that was a terrible choice, ease of use should always be top, immersion should come 2nd place and compliment ease of use, they are 2 mutually different things, 1 shouldnt have to replace the other, their totally seperate and can exist together but we dont currently have that.

ive said before, we had ease of use and decent functionality before, they should have just improved the looks of what we had instead of taking such drastic terrible changes all in 1, that way we would have gotten the best of both worlds.

This is a difference in direction, you are thinking ease of use is king, where to us immersion is king. You could certainly make the argument that the foundry information could be easier to read as an excel sheet, but it's not what we are going for.

I just have two simple questions.  Given that the latest mod UI makes it impossible for me to play with the mods I have, due to my not having memorized what each mod does by name, am I considered "acceptable loss" when I stop playing?  You're the developer, that's a fair call if so.  What I'd like to know is if I can get a refund for the plat I bought the day before the UI change, because the game I was paying for then is no longer the game that is loading now?

Thanks for your response.

Edited by GrinR

I feel insulted and disheartened by Pablo's response in this thread.

When presented with relevant, detailed, and popular feedback you resort to telling us we're wrong.

Immersion is a by-product of efficient design. We're all less immersed in the game because it doesn't function well.

Except when Im working on mods and a friend invites me to his group to run missions.  Now I have to spam ESC to exit out and get to any menu, not just the one magic ESC 'split second' key press everyone keeps making up.

The only thing more laughable about the ESC key press people, is DE themselves being so ignorant to what a lot of people are commenting about as legit issues with the UI.  Its like they are sticking their fingers in their ears, closing their eyes and just keep repeating," I CANT HEAR YOU, I CANT HEAR YOU, I CANT HEAR YOU".....to their playerbase....when this game eventually fails, you'll know why.  Im hoping there are some upcoming changes that make the UI more bearable, but unfortunately, the UI has gotten worse with each "fix".

Look to the top left of your screen. You see that little picture of a Warframe up there? You see that grey box with the white horizontal lines right next to it? Click it. You are taken straight to the ESC menu & are able to accept the invite. One button. One click. No problem. Or you can....you know, press ESC a measly two times. Your pick.

Rage fuels ignorance, I see. 

Well, I am less immersed. I usually play one mission, then stop, because changing the loadout has become a hassle instead of something you could do on the fly.

Congratulations? 

MEGASHAFT can now speak for you & himself. 

Edited by Rexlars

Congratulations? 

MEGASHAFT can now speak for you & himself. 

There are many players the feel this way, this isnt some few people here and there.

I dont care how stuff looks as long as there ease of use and now with the less mod space,  side scrolling, and having to read text to find mods, it's just slowing down the switching up process even more. Slowing it down in a game where the whole point of the system is having you make build on the fly, having adjust to the specific mission.

I have seriously stopped using faction specific builds and i am just using general builds because it's just less of a hassle. I mean, just now i wanted to put on that mod that let's you cast fast, i dont know the name as you can see, and it took me WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long trying to find it because i did NOT KNOW the name. So you know what i did to find it? I setup a process of elimination. I was reading the mod names and remembering what each did and if there was one i didnt remember i moused over to see if this was the mod i was looking for. I should not be doing this. I should know be coming up with personal sorting method to find a mod in the game.

mouse users were abandoned, sacrificed if you will, in order to please console, despite PC being a main reason the game gained attention in the first place...

before U14 things were done with mouse user in mind, so everything was 1 click away(state-of-the-art buttons with icons! such advance!) and everything was easy to read...

another overlooked problem for mouse users: the moving screens and animations... whenever I move the mouse pointer the screen moves too, which kinda breaks the pointer tracking experience... also animated buttons that change size... all very pretty but it clearly ignores the mouse pointer experience and how it works...

hopefully in the future they'll have time to make an optional interface for mouse...

Edited by iamah

The attempt to immerse us in the game has had the opposite effect. The more I have to fight the UI the more aware of it I am, therefore taking me out of the experience.

Other thing about the "diagetic" screens is that IRL, I am already using a computer. I don't need to have a computer inside my computer to feel like I'm using one. The extra layer just takes me out again.

To those who say the UI has had no major impact on player numbers:

http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=230410&from=1364763600000&to=1410296400000

This shows only steam players but it should give you a good approximation.

Notice the relatively steady pattern all the way up to the huge spike at the end that is U14. Notice the almost equally huge drop right after it.

Sure it is not 'everyone quitting' but it is still a pretty damn huge percentage that could so easily be brought back.

Contrary to what some are saying, people are not against "change". Remember U7 mod system change? It was much bigger change to the core gameplay yet it had nowhere near as much backlash as this. In fact is was mostly welcomed because it was a proper working system.

Another controversial change was the HUD which also had problems when it came out. The difference is that they fixed all those problems pretty quickly. With the UI, here we are almost 2 months after and stil not even a word on how they plan to address the major issues except "deal with it".

There are many players the feel this way, this isnt some few people here and there.

<snip>

Again, congratulations. 

There are also many players that don't feel this way. I'm not saying that the UI could not be improved & is perfect. No one ever has said that. Ever. I am saying that I & many others, do NOT feel LESS immersed.

Point being, do not make statements & then group the entire population of players using "we all" to make your concerns & opinions seem more valid, important, legitimate, etc. No, "we all" DON'T feel less immersed. Sure, there are players that do feel less immersed, but there are just as many players that feel the exact opposite. 

I am saying this to you because you replied to my comment in concurrence with the person who said "we all."

mouse users were abandoned, sacrificed if you will, in order to please console, despite PC being a main reason the game gained attention in the first place...

before U14 things were done with mouse user in mind, so everything was 1 click away(state-of-the-art buttons with icons! such advance!) and everything was easy to read...

another overlooked problem for mouse users: the moving screens and animations... whenever I move the mouse pointer the screen moves too, which kinda breaks the pointer tracking experience... also animated buttons that change size... all very pretty but it clearly ignores the mouse pointer experience and how it works...

hopefully in the future they'll have time to make an optional interface for mouse...

It has been said by console users & pc users that also play on consoles, including myself, that the new UI does not in fact favor ps4 more than the pc.