Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Level-Load Love

[DE]Glen

1) The new cache optimizer is in update 14.5 which you don't have yet.

2) Load times don't have any impact on your frame rate, your network lag, in-game bugs, or premature balding. 

Damnit, Glen.

I spent a good three minutes looking through Google for premature balding possibly affecting my PC before I realized.

Edited by PsychedelicSnake

2) Load times don't have any impact on your frame rate, your network lag, in-game bugs, or premature balding. 

But... but... but.. You are [DE]Glen! You have ALL the answers!

QUICK!

Life, the Universe and Everything! What is the QUESTION?

Long loading times can cause gray hair though.

And why not put an option where the directx and Multi-Thread are for choose if i want that "new cache optimizer" or not? because i prefer the game load full at start in memory and no need to load it each time i enter in a match, all this "optimization" only affects the people like me with lots of RAM(12gb here) and 64bit systems!!

I recently got a SSD and will never look back. Load times are awesome, but I guess you already know that. Thanks for the hint about "optimize" vs "defrag" though, nice to know.

Thanks for working on this feature. People have probably complained about it, people suffer from slow loading times and waiting for others to load, but when this is fixed, people will forget about it. None of the ongoing applaud from graphical or audio changes, none of the appreciation of a fluid UI, but on behalf of those who appreciate all the aspects of the game that are only noticed when they don't work, I applaud you. :)

So after the new update I've ran defrag (probably should have tried loading times before defrag first) and the loading times are now half, maybe third of what they were before. Combined with switching from DX9 to 10 which gave me 5 more fps and much nicer visuals and I'm amazed how well WF runs on my potato (now with GladOS preinstalled!).

Awesome work, thanks.

Edited by Andoryuu

And why not put an option where the directx and Multi-Thread are for choose if i want that "new cache optimizer" or not?

It's much better not to have everything switchable by an option. This avoids setting hte option to wrong values. And setting this wrong would also affect _other_ players (who have to wait longer for you to join).

Good caching automatically makes use of your resources - if you have plenty of RAM it will use more of it, but a good cache strategy will make better use of little RAM, too.

Side note:

Just out of curiosity, I installed WF on a severely under-powered laptop (Acer AS1810 - ULV version) when I swapped the HDD for an SSD and installed everything anew anyway.

Of course the performance is really bad (only 2GB RAM, no GFX accel, etc.), and I switched off almost everything in the game to not be in "slide show mode". But I was very impressed to learn that WF was actually _playable_ (OK, with a little teeth-grinding, and I kept it a solo mission to not slow down anyone else). Even low graphics look surprisingly good. For a game of WF's complexity, this is very unusual.

Actually I wanted to wipe WF from the laptop (my real gaming rig is way better), but after your announcement I will wait until it's updated to 14.5 and tested before I do that. I should definitely notice any differences in caching strategy. :-)

Please keep up the good work - all of you. Many thanks!

I used to enjoy good loading times on my laptop before this update. Asus G73 with GTX460M,  8GBram and a 7200rpm 500GB HDD on 64bit Windows 7.

I haven't tested 14.5 on it (out today) but I suppose it will only improve the experience.

Now what I'm waiting for is those fixes for PS4 you are talking about, as that console with it's default 5400rpm dinosaur of an HDD does really need as many boosts to it's loading times as you can push on it, yet no matter what it will still be much slower than most PCs unfortunately, which puts a heavy hinder on any hopes of merging both communities one day. BUT, every bit helps.

My few tips for the able, get an HDD faster than 5400rpm. Anything 7200 rpm and over will load your game quite fast. Warframe loads on my computers much faster than any other MMO I have played. Even the ones with outdated "cute" visuals. SSD is the fastest, but any decent 7200rpm disk will be enough. I wouldn't recommend hybrid drives unless the playable part of Warframe can fit the small SSD section of the disk. Their mechanical drive sections use 5400 rpm disks which will actually slow down your overall experience if anything commonly used is forced to load from there. Adventurous PS4 players can also upgrade their HDDs (It's possible, there's even an official Sony page detailing how to replace your PS4 HDD)

some impressive numbers;

before defrag:  ~ 9 GiB

after defrag: ~ 6 GiB

So "33%" or "3GiB" less used space on my SSD.....where every GiB is rare.  Thanks !

After it was completed?

Cause during it i think i did go down 3 but after it was all done i gained 2.

i use nvidias optimisation option from the nvidia-geforce expirience panel, does it work real or not ?

who use it and what youre expiriences on a laptop with ?

after getting answered this i will share a scary ongoing expirience with the warframe network since i started to play

i hope you can help me with that, glen =)

i use nvidias optimisation option from the nvidia-geforce expirience panel, does it work real or not ?

the GeForce Experience application 'optimization' only sets video settings in your games for you.

it doesn't do anything that you can't already do.

in other words, it's pretty much pointless for all but the most non tech savvy people.

DE_glen these optimisations you did for update14.5 it well made the entire game smoother as well as the frame rate being very well constant. it now stays at a constant 40fps, where before it used to be around 30fps and somtimes lowers to 20fps.

i have to say you did magnificant with these optimisations.

thank you Glen 

p.s yes im using a laptop with a hdd, a toshiba satillite p750 to be exact

./) or brohoof to those that didnt know.

Thought I'd give this a spin with my sizable but low-tech laptop hdd.

Oh, boy, load times went down from 10-15s to ~3s on the initial Liset load. It's harder to tell the difference for missions, since I usually don't pay attention while they're loading.

You should make the optimization trigger automatically on a future patch so every user can enjoy this!